Tokina RMC 80-200mm f4 MD lens

Started Mar 29, 2011 | Discussions
boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,196Gear list
Like?
Tokina RMC 80-200mm f4 MD lens
Mar 29, 2011

I just bought a Tokina RMC 80-200mm f4 MD lens for $23 on eBay to round out the long end of a growing collection (Nex 16mm & 18-55mm, Industar-61 50mm 2.8, Minolta 50mm 1.7, 50mm 1.4, 28mm 2.8), based on a blog post:

http://lensporn.blogspot.com/2009/12/tokina-rmc-80-200mm-f4-699-from-ebay.html

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2561/3995852053_56436ee274_o.jpg

Then I googled this forum hearsay:

"Searching for print on Canon Manual focus Zoom lenses I came across a Consumer Reports magazine that had performed a test of the top 25 zoom lenses in the 70-210/80-200 f/4 range. I remember that the Tokina RMC 80-200 f/4 took first place."

It all sounds promising - anyone have any experience of this cheap zoom?

Alan

boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,196Gear list
Like?
Re: Tokina RMC 80-200mm f4 MD lens
In reply to boardsy, Apr 8, 2011

No time for a real test, but this very cheap ($23!) alternative to sel18-200 (kinda) just arrived and looks good so far. (Jpgs straight from camera, original sizes available)

Handheld, through car window, f11 i think!):

Handheld, wide open, very low light, iso6400:

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kaktusss
Regular MemberPosts: 393
Like?
Re: Tokina RMC 80-200mm f4 MD lens
In reply to boardsy, Apr 8, 2011

The first shot looks pretty sharp !
Seems to be a good choice.

I bought a C/Y Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f3.5 MACRO for less than 10$, but it doesn't seem as sharp, still have to test it in good conditions.

I don't think I'll be using it a lot, it's big, heavy and hard to focus at 210mm. It's fun to see it on the NEX, and to see people's "What the faces"
Anyway, it's a good way to wait for a tamron e-mount telezoom !

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,603Gear list
Like?
Re: Tokina RMC 80-200mm f4 MD lens
In reply to boardsy, Apr 8, 2011

boardsy wrote:

"Searching for print on Canon Manual focus Zoom lenses I came across a Consumer Reports magazine that had performed a test of the top 25 zoom lenses in the 70-210/80-200 f/4 range. I remember that the Tokina RMC 80-200 f/4 took first place."

I have used one for some years on my Olympus OM-2 camera, probably purchased it after reading several of those reviews in the magazines. It certainly was one of the best value-for-money zooms at the time, good resolution but low contrast compared to my OM lenses. But I'm talking about at least 20 years ago, I don't think it can compete with current designs.

 technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,196Gear list
Like?
Re: Tokina RMC 80-200mm f4 MD lens
In reply to technic, Apr 8, 2011

technic wrote:

boardsy wrote:

"Searching for print on Canon Manual focus Zoom lenses I came across a Consumer Reports magazine that had performed a test of the top 25 zoom lenses in the 70-210/80-200 f/4 range. I remember that the Tokina RMC 80-200 f/4 took first place."

I have used one for some years on my Olympus OM-2 camera, probably purchased it after reading several of those reviews in the magazines. It certainly was one of the best value-for-money zooms at the time, good resolution but low contrast compared to my OM lenses. But I'm talking about at least 20 years ago, I don't think it can compete with current designs.

Interesting to hear. Would you even bother using it on your Nex? I'm no pro, so i'm happy to play about with it for a while; pics seem to have a nice look to them. And it was cheap!

Alan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 3,896
Like?
Re: Tokina RMC 80-200mm f4 MD lens
In reply to boardsy, Apr 8, 2011

I have no problem with my 70-150mm Minolta. It is a bit long on the camera, but gives me a lot of options.

Don't be afraid of these longer lenses. The NEX excels at short primes, but also does fairly well at longer ranges. I have had some focusing troubles at the long end, but that is more my issue than the cameras.
--
Novice photobug, proud NEX-3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,603Gear list
Like?
Re: Tokina RMC 80-200mm f4 MD lens
In reply to boardsy, Apr 8, 2011

I don't have a Nex (yet) and would probably not use it with such relatively long lenses; I'm mostly interested in a compact system for (S)WA photography.

But for the price you can't go wrong with this Tokina zoom, and it probably has better build quality than many current lenses.

 technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,196Gear list
Like?
a few from the Tokina
In reply to boardsy, Apr 20, 2011

The Tokina's not bad when i manage to nail the focus & hold it steady. These are jpgs SOOC, not great photography, just examples of the (cheap) lens performance on the Nex, FYI. C&C welcome. I need a hood i reckon, and must insert a baffle in the adapter. Originals available for pixel-peeping.

Thanks for looking!

Alan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
john inglis
Regular MemberPosts: 414
Like?
Re: a few from the Tokina
In reply to boardsy, Apr 21, 2011

For similar reasons I acquired a Canon L FD 80-200 f4 and it is fun to use especially on a tripod. The clarity on the pod is very very fine especially now with spring flowers. But it is in the 250-350$ range at KEH and Adorama.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,603Gear list
Like?
Re: a few from the Tokina
In reply to boardsy, Apr 22, 2011

boardsy wrote:

I need a hood i reckon, and must insert a baffle in the adapter.

the images look pretty bland, low contrast; but maybe that is related to camera settings or PP. I think you should try a hood indeed. I remember I made a custom hood for my Tokina, from an existing telelens hood, with a rectangular baffle inside; guess it was necessary for getting good contrast.

 technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,196Gear list
Like?
Re: a few from the Tokina
In reply to technic, Apr 22, 2011

John Inglis wrote:

For similar reasons I acquired a Canon L FD 80-200 f4 and it is fun to use especially on a tripod. The clarity on the pod is very very fine especially now with spring flowers. But it is in the 250-350$ range at KEH and Adorama.

If i was going to spend that much I might spring for the emount 18-200. But for €23 i thought i couldn't go wrong with this. I'm a little addicted to manual focus. I A/B'ed last night my Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.4 against the 18-55 in low light, and couldn't really tell the difference in sharpness on the LCD. So i went back to the Minolta!

technic wrote:

boardsy wrote:

I need a hood i reckon, and must insert a baffle in the adapter.

the images look pretty bland, low contrast; but maybe that is related to camera settings or PP. I think you should try a hood indeed. I remember I made a custom hood for my Tokina, from an existing telelens hood, with a rectangular baffle inside; guess it was necessary for getting good contrast.

Er, so much for Vivid mode. But like i said no PP on those, jpgs straight from the camera, but in very bright sun & no hood. But you can see the potential for improvement with a hood and a bit of RAW PP, as long as i can focus and compose better! Even on these jpgs you can do a lot better, from this:

to this:

thanks!
Alan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,603Gear list
Like?
Re: a few from the Tokina
In reply to boardsy, Apr 22, 2011

boardsy wrote:

Er, so much for Vivid mode. But like i said no PP on those, jpgs straight from the camera, but in very bright sun & no hood.

I don't have experience with NEX (just following the discussions until they have better E-mount lenses). My Sony dsc-f717 always produced excellent jpeg images directly out of camera, very little that could be improved in PP. Apparently NEX is different when it comes to in-camera processing.

But you can see the potential for improvement with a hood and a bit of RAW PP, as long as i can focus and compose better! Even on these jpgs you can do a lot better, from this:

yes, the processed one already looks much better. Where the originals a bit underexposed maybe?

 technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,196Gear list
Like?
Re: a few from the Tokina
In reply to technic, Apr 22, 2011

technic wrote:

boardsy wrote:

Er, so much for Vivid mode. But like i said no PP on those, jpgs straight from the camera, but in very bright sun & no hood.

I don't have experience with NEX (just following the discussions until they have better E-mount lenses). My Sony dsc-f717 always produced excellent jpeg images directly out of camera, very little that could be improved in PP. Apparently NEX is different when it comes to in-camera processing.

But you can see the potential for improvement with a hood and a bit of RAW PP, as long as i can focus and compose better! Even on these jpgs you can do a lot better, from this:

yes, the processed one already looks much better. Where the originals a bit underexposed maybe?

Usually the Nex overexposes a little in bright light, so -3 or -7 EV is correct - but don't judge it by these firs efforts with an old zoom without hood in bright sun - NEX normally produces beautiful jpgs! (straight from the camera - originals clickable):

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
syncronized77
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
Re: a few from the Tokina
In reply to boardsy, Apr 23, 2011

I've ran through a couple of manual zooms, from minolta, vivitar, sigma, etc....so far the sharpest I've ever used is my vivitar series 1 210 (version 3)....its RIDICULOUSLY sharp even with my shaky hands

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pancolart
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
Re: Tokina RMC 80-200mm f4 MD lens
In reply to boardsy, May 22, 2013

Did anyone possibly came across the lens design / scheme for this Tokina?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads