Help! - New 60D Thinks It has External Flash Attached Problem

Started Mar 27, 2011 | Discussions
jwilliams
Contributing MemberPosts: 647
Like?
Help! - New 60D Thinks It has External Flash Attached Problem
Mar 27, 2011

Just got a new 60D. I tired it with the built in flash and it worked fine. Then I attached the new 430EX II I bought also. That worked fine.

Now the problem.

After removing the 430EX, the camera thinks it still has an external flash attached and refuses to raise the built in flash. If I go into the flash menu it will not let me access anything having to do with the internal flash and gives me a message 'This menu cannot be displayed. External flash is attached'.

I tried removing the battery. Any other ideas? Has anybody else experienced similar problems.?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,721Gear list
Like?
Re: Help! - New 60D Thinks It has External Flash Attached Problem
In reply to jwilliams, Mar 27, 2011

It's common. It's caused by a microswitch that remains stuck down. Go thru this thread. It has pictures of the microswitch so that you can release it.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1031&message=37576622
--
Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
limleong
Regular MemberPosts: 116
Like?
In reply to Olga Johnson, Mar 27, 2011

Olga Johnson wrote:

It's common. It's caused by a microswitch that remains stuck down. Go thru this thread. It has pictures of the microswitch so that you can release it.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1031&message=37576622
--
Olga

Yes. It is a common problem with the 60D. A number of users have reported it on this and other Internet forums.

I wonder if this is a design fault when the problem is happenning on quite a few brand new 60D.

Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,721Gear list
Like?
In reply to limleong, Mar 27, 2011

limleong wrote:

I wonder if this is a design fault when the problem is happenning on quite a few brand new 60D.

It has been happening with all Canon dSLRs, new or old. I've had it happen a couple of times with my cameras; cannot tell you which ones because I don't remember. The only reason I haven't experienced it in the last 2 or 3 years is because I don't use external speedlights any more. The little tab gets easily stuck.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
jwilliams
Contributing MemberPosts: 647
Like?
In reply to Olga Johnson, Mar 28, 2011

Well I can get it unstuck, but every time I put the flash on the problem returns. After several tries pushing the little tab down with toothpick and letting it pop back up it will finally let the flash raise. I think the problem is actually with the little tab and not the micro-switch. I might return it as this is not really an acceptable solution to me.

I hope this isn't typical Canon quality now. I haven't bought a Canon SLR since my 20D that this camera was going to replace. Although the image quality is nice it definitely doesn't have the build quality of the 20D.

Thanks for the help.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads