CS 5 - Unable to see the controls in free transform

Started Mar 26, 2011 | Discussions
yduckie
Contributing MemberPosts: 892
Like?
CS 5 - Unable to see the controls in free transform
Mar 26, 2011

... just recently upgraded to CS5 (late to the show as usual) and have run into an issue that I hope you can help me with. In earlier versions of Photoshop, I was able to import into a document a different image. Sometimes the imported image was bigger than the canvas size, so I would hit Control T to bring up the transform tool, and then resize the imported image. If I could not see the bounding box, I would make the image smaller on the workspace and then the bounding box would be visible.

In CS5, that little trick doesn't work. Does anyone know what I must do to be able to see the bounding box in CS5? I've tried clicking on "show transform controls" with the move tool enabled, but no joy there.

System: Windows XP CS 5 32 bit, version 12.0.3.

Thanks in advance for your insight.
--
Heather

Sam B
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,706Gear list
Like?
Re: CS 5 - Unable to see the controls in free transform
In reply to yduckie, Mar 26, 2011

Try checking your Preferences. Under the General tab check and see if Resize Image During Place is checked. If that still doesn't work, try hitting Ctrl+H once or twice after you hit Ctrl+T to transform. It may be that the bounding box is being hidden by the Show Extras command.

yduckie wrote:

... just recently upgraded to CS5 (late to the show as usual) and have run into an issue that I hope you can help me with. In earlier versions of Photoshop, I was able to import into a document a different image. Sometimes the imported image was bigger than the canvas size, so I would hit Control T to bring up the transform tool, and then resize the imported image. If I could not see the bounding box, I would make the image smaller on the workspace and then the bounding box would be visible.

In CS5, that little trick doesn't work. Does anyone know what I must do to be able to see the bounding box in CS5? I've tried clicking on "show transform controls" with the move tool enabled, but no joy there.

System: Windows XP CS 5 32 bit, version 12.0.3.

Thanks in advance for your insight.
--
Heather

Sam B's gear list:Sam B's gear list
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
yduckie
Contributing MemberPosts: 892
Like?
In reply to Sam B, Mar 26, 2011

Thanks, Sam.

I tried your suggestions but nothing worked, so on a hunch, I changed the colour of the "pasteboard" to black. Now I can see the bounding box. It seems the lines delineating the bounding box are the same colour as the default pasteboard. Weird!

I can see a lot of pasteboard colour switching in my future, unless I can figure out a way to change the colour of the lines in the bounding box.

Thanks again for your prompt assistance.

Cheers.
--
Heather

http://www.pbase.com/yduckie

eagle_I
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670
Like?
In reply to yduckie, Mar 27, 2011

Heather - I'm not entirely clear on your problem, but I can relate to not being ale to see the free transform "box" and adjustment handles when I've added what is usually a new background layer that is larger than the image I'm working on. CS5 was new to me on how it locks multiple images to the top of the work area in a tab setup. I like my open images floating individually in the work area like in older PS versions. I think it's possible to disabled the tab feature, but I haven't opting instead to occasionally having to drag the pic down to get it free "floating" in the work area. Once the pic is free I shrink it's whole window then drag the corner of it to reveal the inner "matte." Right clicking in the matte area allows a change of color with the choice of grey, black, and custom. I usually use black and the transform "box" shows well it. Thought this might be helpful.
Mark
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads