Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to D7000

Started Mar 25, 2011 | Discussions
Ray63129
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to D7000
Mar 25, 2011

I have a D7000 and am interested in this book but I was wondering if anyone has read it or knows of any reviews available on it.

Jever1970
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to D7000
In reply to Ray63129, Mar 25, 2011

Ray63129 wrote:

I have a D7000 and am interested in this book but I was wondering if anyone has read it or knows of any reviews available on it.

I have bought the D7000 guide, but I have not recived it yet.
But i have both the D50 and D200 guides, and they are good.

-- hide signature --

Sorry if there are spelling or gramma errors.
English is not my native language.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Edlolim
Contributing MemberPosts: 754Gear list
Like?

Hey Ray, unless Thom goofed big time his Nikon camera guide's have been one of the best material out there, and for a long time. I think he's getting better in doing, I mean, redoing these "manuals".

Ed

Edlolim's gear list:Edlolim's gear list
Olympus SH-50
tatanka
Contributing MemberPosts: 886Gear list
Like?

Just buy it.

I bought Thom's D80 guide about 4 years ago and used it as a "reference." In retrospect, that was a mistake -- should have actually read it. Received the D7000 guide today, and the only thing that ticked me off was the waiting.

For the D7000, I've decided to read cover-to-cover. If you just want a reference book, this may not be for you (but it does that, too). If you want an education... this is what you want. Thom's eBook on the D7000 is 820 pages (Nikon's manual is 348 pages) and Hogan includes another 250 page book on the Nikon software plus a bunch of other stuff. You'd think that for the difference, there'd be a lot of useless "filler" but that isn't the case.

I'll do a short review on it when I'm done reading it -- may be awhile; there's a lot to digest.

tatanka's gear list:tatanka's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Nikon D80 +8 more
meumerke
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?

I am interested in this book but in today's day and age, I am surprised that there's no online version available for download (other than e-book).

The Big One
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,360Gear list
Like?
In reply to meumerke, Mar 26, 2011

I imagine that is due to DRM: Thom sells the things for money, and if he released a PDF it would be a matter of seconds until everybody and their dog had downloaded a copy. With eBooks copyright infringement is a bit more difficult, due to the DRM of a given platform.

Cheers

meumerke wrote:

I am interested in this book but in today's day and age, I am surprised that there's no online version available for download (other than e-book).

-- hide signature --

--Wyatt
http://photos.digitalcave.ca
All images (c) unless otherwise specified, please ask me before editing.

The Big One's gear list:The Big One's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
tatanka
Contributing MemberPosts: 886Gear list
Like?
In reply to The Big One, Mar 26, 2011

The Big One wrote:

I imagine that is due to DRM: Thom sells the things for money, and if he released a PDF it would be a matter of seconds until everybody and their dog had downloaded a copy. With eBooks copyright infringement is a bit more difficult, due to the DRM of a given platform.

Cheers

meumerke wrote:

Thom's model for this is a paper book. No DRM, and the "meat" really is just a PDF file. You "own" it just like a book and can give it away if you want, but just like a book, you only own one copy to give away (and can't keep a copy if you do).

As much as I'd prefer electronic delivery for speed reasons, I do respect his right to distribute his work as he sees fit (I can say that now that I have a copy). The PDF file for the D7000 is 127 Meg and the CD contains about 234 Meg of data -- lots of other additions. It's a huge volume of work, and the only legal way to get it is through Thom himself, via snail-mail. I'm still critical of the lack of electronic delivery (could have had my copy a month or more ago), but I think it's worth the hassle.

Hope I'm not coming off as a Hogan shill here. I don't know Thom and I'm definitely not on his payroll (doubt he has any employees). I've worked in tech fields all my adult life, and the complaints about manufacturers manuals are legend. Good tech writers are golden when you can find them and Thom seems to know Nikon hardware better than anyone outside of Nikon's engineering department. Perfect? No. Worth $50? Easily on a $1200 camera IF THE WORK IS GOOD, but I'm only on page 127. And it is good.

Seriously... I've worked with cute blond tech writers with advanced English degrees before. It all falls flat without a passion for the work (like anything in life). Gimme a grizzled old geezer who knows his stuff any day.

I'll be happy to review Thom's D7000 book here and will be impartial, but it's a long read, and may take awhile.

tatanka's gear list:tatanka's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Nikon D80 +8 more
flexn
Regular MemberPosts: 147
Like?
In reply to tatanka, Mar 26, 2011

Just got my copy today (book, togo & cd), I too was a little perterbed? that he didn't allow us to d/l a copy of the ebook after purchasing, but that's just the way it is...Can't wait to dive in
--
Robert L. Griffith

Jimaroc
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Jihn Batdorff's D7000 Book
In reply to flexn, Mar 26, 2011

Just got a D7000 as my first DSLR (formerly used film SLRs). A colleague just got one also and picked up the book by John Batdorff, which I borrowed and am reading, and I find to be very helpful, as noted about the Thom Hogan book. Ken Rockwell's review site also has some useful information, and he states he usually uses the D7000 (he has several camera options).

Having worked as a Tech Writer, I agree with the previous statement about "cute young blondes with journalism degrees vs old geezers" (like me!). We tech writers would write the technical information correctly and the young editors would make incorrect changes without the technical knowledge, resulting in inaccurate information being published (very frustrating!). In fact, I had to push hard against them (figuratively, of course!) concerning their labeling of our "Maintenance" & "Operator's" Manuals. They are either "Maintainer's" and "Operator's" or "Maintenance" and "Operations", to which the Department Manager finally acceeded and the change was made...

Nowin
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
In reply to Ray63129, Jun 26, 2011

I bought Thoms' D40 Guide a few years ago, and I ordered the D90 guide this week. Worth the money if one wants a good learning reference.

olynik969
Senior MemberPosts: 1,409
Like?
What kinds of things do his books cover, that...
In reply to Nowin, Jun 26, 2011

What kind of things do his books cover that you don't get in the owners manual? I've not bought one and would consider it for my D7000 but only if not a regurgitation of the manual....

Thanks for the input/education on this..

-- hide signature --

Bob (formerly bobmax)

Tom Ferguson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,165
Like?
Re: What kinds of things do his books cover, that...
In reply to olynik969, Jun 26, 2011

Most of the "items" in Thom's books are also "covered" in the Nikon manuals.

The main difference is that the Nikon manuals read like they were written by design engineers, and Thom's guides read like they were written by a photographer.

In Thom's guides features are discussed in a sequence that makes sense to a photographer, you (I) never can figure out were something will be found in a Nikon book. Thom not only tells you "what" a button/feature does from a technical standpoint, he actually explains why you might want to use it!

Hope that helps.
--
Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com

jwheel
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?

I bought it and would do so again, although if I had it to do over again, I'd forego the full printed manual in favor of the Quick Guide and DVD. The purchase would be cheaper, and would arrive more quickly (he self-publishes and this takes a while).

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 19,731Gear list
Like?
Buy it.
In reply to jwheel, Jun 26, 2011

And while I am at it, for great FREE information, visiting bythom.com on a weekly basis can do a great deal for your photography - like this week's explanation of the wonderful Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 filter. I use it and love it. Roman Johnston uses it and loves it.
--
Steve Bingham
http://www.dustylens.com
http://www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +10 more
LeftyAce
Regular MemberPosts: 288
Like?

I bought it, read it, loved it. As another poster said, he goes through the technical aspects with a discussion of why/when you'd use the feature.

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,425
Like?

I've read it from cover to cover. Unlike the manual, it actually teaches you what each and every button and menu item does and how to use it. A little lite on video and Live View. Only one mistake in terms of function but he corrected it when I asked. Has helped me improve and I reference it often.

R_U_Q_R_U
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?
In reply to The Big One, Jun 26, 2011

I bought a copy from Thom and received it in about three days. He is great at that. However, there is NO DRM so there really is no reason for him not to offer a download after receiving payment. Once you receive the disk you are on the honor system not to give away copies.

Having the CD copy of the PDF is no different than if he let you download a copy. So there must be some other reason he is not doing it. Logistics? Business costs? I don't mind getting the CD and he ships fast. But in today's world folks want it NOW!

BV
BV
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?
Re: Buy it.
In reply to Steve Bingham, Jun 26, 2011

Steve,

I've looked and looked and I can't find the Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 on bythom website. Do you have a direct link or a move detailed explanation of where it is, please?

RightLight
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?

Just buy it and save money from buying any other better advertised books, dvds and field guides on D7000. You will not regret it.

RightLight's gear list:RightLight's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads