GH2 vs Sony Alpha 55

Started Mar 24, 2011 | Discussions
SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,513Gear list
Like?
Adventism Fanboy
In reply to Adventsam, Mar 25, 2011

you're known on the forums as one so whatever you say is just glowing with your prejudice towards your own likes and dislikes with little regard for reality. Go right ahead nothing will stop you anyway.....

 SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
trevthebrit
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?
Re: Not in my world - fair comment
In reply to SaltLakeGuy, Mar 25, 2011

Fair comment - at the end of the day you have to use the tool that suits you irrespective of reviews or other peoples favourites - BTW I love the my G1 - my GH2 came today and do not regret leaving my Xxxon.
--
TrevTheBrit

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
But in the "real" world...
In reply to SaltLakeGuy, Mar 25, 2011

Yes, I remember how you said the A55 EVF was better than the GH2 also.

The reality is the GH2 has much more detail at ISO 200-1600. Even with the my Sony G lenses, I can never the sharpness and clarity I get with the GH2. It is even worse at wider apertures. I think this is either due to the massive NR Sony uses (even for RAW files which seems strange), or due to PDAF being slightly off much of the time. PDAF never seems to be as accurate as CDAF.

If you just want nice looking pictures, the A55 is very good. Also, You have options like the several 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses or an F/1.4 85mm (portrait lens) that you can't get for the GH2.

I will also agree that the Panasonic WB is not great. It can make the colors look off a little. If you shoot RAW, this is not an issue at all.

I guess it comes down to, if you want the best pictures, the GH2 shooting RAW will easily beat the A55 up to ISO 1600 (which is where you will shoot 90+% of your pictures). At ISO 3200, I think it is a tie. Above that, the A55 is easily better.

btw, I shoot both cameras side by side for several days. I sold my GH2 because someone offered me $200+ more for it than what I paid. I still have A55 which I do like, and use it with the Sony 70-200mm lens. m43 has nothing that can compete with that at this time.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,743Gear list
Like?
Re: Not in my world
In reply to SaltLakeGuy, Mar 25, 2011

Good luck to you and your world.
And let me live in my world.

What is good for me not necessarily good for you. I do not care about OIS/IBIS, for instance.

Cheers
--
MFT in progress

 s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
Look in the mirror
In reply to SaltLakeGuy, Mar 25, 2011

Remember how you always make claims like how the A55 EVF is sooo much better than the GH2 EVF?

It's great you like your camera, and the A55 is one of the better ones. Personally I think it is easier to use than the GH2, and has a better "auto" mode, and better WB. But the reality is the GH2 is more of an expert camera capable of far more.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bilgy_no1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,880
Like?
Why the title: Not in my world
In reply to SaltLakeGuy, Mar 26, 2011

When none of what you wrote contradicts what I wrote?

I wrote something about a fascination (obsession) some people (incl. reviewers) have with high ISO performance, while most photographers will actually use something like ISO 100-1600 for most shots.

What you write is your experience with both cameras, and that's fair enough. It's your money, you have to choose the stuff you want. You write about a good quality general zoom, and that is what we need in m4/3 as well. OIS vs. IBIS is a long standing debate, colours from GH2 are not the most attractive according to many sources. But really non of it relates to my previous post.

SaltLakeGuy wrote:

I tried a GH2 back in December. It frustrated the %$#$ out of me. I'm not a big video shooter so I was gunning for a still shot result. I've been a DSLR user for years and although for a stint owned a Oly PL1 which I enjoyed wanted something less limited. About the ONLY good thing I like on the GH2 was the focus speed, although in low contrast scenes and darker rooms it was still challenged. I'll state clearly size wasn't not of the essence as it is to so many here. but overall my rate of keepers on the A55 was a HUGE improvement over the GH2. I was disappointed the OIS didn't save my shaky tendencies where the supersteadyshot in the A55 has thus far amazed me what I can get away with. I use that superb 16-80 Zeiss and it is sharp from one end to the other even wide open. Colors from the Sony need no manipulation for me Jpeg or RAW. The GH2 needed it badly. I'm glad the GH2 is working out for so many. It sure didn't for me. The Sony for me was the best compromise as it's smaller than my DSLR and lighter, but gives very much comparable results. I also picked up a 70-300G and 35mm f1.8 prime to round out the lenses. It may not be for everyone. I'm not speaking from the "fanboy" perspective, just results I've had. It will be interesting to see what the GH3 turns out to be however........

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
El demontre
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Re: GH2 vs Sony Alpha 55
In reply to Anders W, Apr 4, 2011

I think you are right about the conclusion (more detail from GH2) but not about the reasons. To my knowledge, there are no reports suggesting that the A55 does NR in RAW, and a site like DxOMark would surely have spotted it (they are pretty good at that by now). However, the GH2 (as well as several other m43 cameras) have very weak AA filters, and this, along with the high pixel density of the GH2 (and good lenses) makes for unusually good resolution.

There is not one camera maker that does not manipulate their RAW file. period. Even the RAW file is a conversion done by the processor (to become digital). Its how new models get better in RAW mode despite using the same sensor. DxO would have certainly miss this because they dont look or take into account the camera's processor. Pentax learned this the hard way after the K7, Now suddenly the K5 is the best thing ever.
--
Go out and shoot something, NOW!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
El demontre
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Re: GH2 vs Sony Alpha 55
In reply to El demontre, Apr 4, 2011

And somebody explain to me how the A55s vf is better than the GH2. Whenever I use the GH2 and go back to the A55 I feel Like Im looking trough a tunnel. The GH2's is bigger, brighter and more detailed (but alas with bad color)
--
Go out and shoot something, NOW!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,979Gear list
Like?
Re: GH2 vs Sony Alpha 55
In reply to Anders W, Apr 4, 2011

Anders W wrote:

El demontre wrote:

I have them both, 10fps on the sony is very useful to me, I have more lens choices for it too (like a 50mm f1.4) and that's why I kept it. Still, good lenses for it are big and expensive, either sony or zeiss, it looks ridiculous with the 400mm G. I rarely shoot video and for stills, the GH2 definitely beats the A55 in detail. At firs I thought it was me, but the studio comparison here confirmed it, the A55 applies detail destroying noise reduction even to RAW files and there's no way to turn it off. Go to the studio scene comparison in RAW in the review and drag it to anywhere you want (good areas are the grandma's face and the statue of david's face as well as the dime). At ISO 800 its quite noticeable, theres much more detail in the GH2 files, and a lot of blurring in the A55s. Even at ISO 3200 theres more detail with the GH2 and by the time you get rid of the noise AND sharpen the A55 file itll look much worse than the noise reduced GH2 file. Ive had the GH2 since xmas and its proven once and again to kick my APS Cs ass thoroughly.

I think you are right about the conclusion (more detail from GH2) but not about the reasons. To my knowledge, there are no reports suggesting that the A55 does NR in RAW, and a site like DxOMark would surely have spotted it (they are pretty good at that by now). However, the GH2 (as well as several other m43 cameras) have very weak AA filters, and this, along with the high pixel density of the GH2 (and good lenses) makes for unusually good resolution.

Some further information here:

http://www.lenstip.com/269.4-Lens_review-Panasonic_LUMIX_G_20_mm_f_1.7_ASPH._Image_resolution.html

El demontre wrote:

There is not one camera maker that does not manipulate their RAW file. period. Even the RAW file is a conversion done by the processor (to become digital). Its how new models get better in RAW mode despite using the same sensor. DxO would have certainly miss this because they dont look or take into account the camera's processor. Pentax learned this the hard way after the K7, Now suddenly the K5 is the best thing ever.

Certainly, all camera makers use a "processor" (if you want to call it that) known as an ADC (analog-to-digital converter) to convert the analog signal to digital form. This is nothing new, however (all digital cameras ever made have at least one ADC), and does not imply that the data are manipulated but merely that they are converted from anolog to digital form. Manipulation refers to something beyond that.

As to DxO, they do look for signs of manipulation, and sometimes discover it, for example in the K-5, which "cooks" its RAW files a bit above ISO 1600. Consequently, DxO disregards that part of the ISO range when scoring the K-5, and shows, in their diagrams, that the above-ISO-1600 data have been tampered with.

 Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,979Gear list
Like?
Re: GH2 vs Sony Alpha 55
In reply to El demontre, Apr 4, 2011

El demontre wrote:

And somebody explain to me how the A55s vf is better than the GH2. Whenever I use the GH2 and go back to the A55 I feel Like Im looking trough a tunnel. The GH2's is bigger, brighter and more detailed (but alas with bad color)

I think we are pretty much in agreement on this score. Here's my take on the comparison between the A55 and the GH2:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=38092219

 Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads