GH2 vs Sony Alpha 55

Started Mar 24, 2011 | Discussions
Alexsfo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411
Like?
GH2 vs Sony Alpha 55
Mar 24, 2011

Can somebody explain to me how Panasonic GH2 can beat Sony A55. Both are very similar in size and weight. Sony is quite a bit cheaper, has best in class IBIS, much wider (4x times?) lens selection, much higher LCD resolution (2x), currently best sensor out of all DSLRs with usable images all the way up to ISO12800, built-in GPS, HDR and 3D panorama to name a few. What exactly does GH2 offer which is substantially superior to Sony’s to command a higher price tag?
--
E-PL2+20mm 1.7

jimboyvr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,206
Like?
Re: GH2 vs Sony Alpha 55
In reply to Alexsfo, Mar 24, 2011

please not this thread again.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kikl
Contributing MemberPosts: 984Gear list
Like?

Alexsfo wrote:

Can somebody explain to me how Panasonic GH2 can beat Sony A55. Both are very similar in size and weight. Sony is quite a bit cheaper, has best in class IBIS, much wider (4x times?) lens selection, much higher LCD resolution (2x), currently best sensor out of all DSLRs with usable images all the way up to ISO12800, built-in GPS, HDR and 3D panorama to name a few. What exactly does GH2 offer which is substantially superior to Sony’s to command a higher price tag?
--
E-PL2+20mm 1.7

These are DPreviews reasons for rating the GH2 higher than the A55:

mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,640Gear list
Like?

Video Quality was enough for me.

Alexsfo wrote:

What exactly does GH2 offer which is substantially superior to Sony’s to command a higher price tag?
--
E-PL2+20mm 1.7

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
normsmith
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,372
Like?
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Mar 24, 2011

Decide your TOTAL setup i.e. GH2 plus what lenses plus what accessories, against A55 with what lenses and what accessories and THEN compare which meets your needs the most (weight, cost, shooting speeds, movie, image quality blah blah blah).

Alexsfo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411
Like?

I agree if you buy GH2 for video but how about those who are interested in photo only?

mpgxsvcd wrote:

Alexsfo wrote:

What exactly does GH2 offer which is substantially superior to Sony’s to command a higher price tag?
--
E-PL2+20mm 1.7

-- hide signature --

E-PL2+20mm 1.7

Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,386Gear list
Like?
video (nt)

Alexsfo wrote:

--
E-PL2+20mm 1.7

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
CDMc
Contributing MemberPosts: 523Gear list
Like?

Why buy an A55? why not a D7000 or K5?

Carl
--
http://www.cdmc.smugmug.com

CDMc's gear list:CDMc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Canon EOS 40D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,640Gear list
Like?

If you don't shoot video at all then the GH2 does not make economical sense. Remember, as much as some people don't like it the dpreview ratings are based on still and video performance and not just still performance like they used to be.

The GH2 is close to the DSLRs for still performance but not quite as good as the D7000. What makes it get rated as high as some other DSLRs is the fact that it also shoots the best video on the planet. Stills cameras are also expected to shoot video now whether you use it or not.

Alexsfo wrote:

I agree if you buy GH2 for video but how about those who are interested in photo only?

mpgxsvcd wrote:

E-PL2+20mm 1.7

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Adventsam
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,983
Like?
Adventsam
Like?

mpgxsvcd wrote:

If you don't shoot video at all then the GH2 does not make economical sense. Remember, as much as some people don't like it the dpreview ratings are based on still and video performance and not just still performance like they used to be.

Well actually the GH2 makes a lot of sense, what else has a walkaround 100-300mm lense that with body weighs in at less than 1kg? at the other extreme, a body and lense with f1.7 that almost pocketable and a perfect 35mm focal length. As a stills camera unless these people are blind its a powerhouse. In my quick tests over a week the a55 was poor in all respects, especially detail and I found the raw files very poor. As a stills machine it missed focus a lot, you couldnt shoot in af and on turning of the mf ring tweak focus, at 10x auto maginfier. There are no iso intermediates that I found, the evf is crude on an evening, noisey, there are no custom buttons of functions settings, bracketing is basic, I could go on, its a low end featured dslr, it was awkward to hold and output was continually soft.

The GH2 is close to the DSLRs for still performance but not quite as good as the D7000. What makes it get rated as high as some other DSLRs is the fact that it also shoots the best video on the planet. Stills cameras are also expected to shoot video now whether you use it or not.

Video aside GH2 is function and feature rich and with LR3.4 awesome in detail and DR.

Alexsfo wrote:

mpgxsvcd wrote:

E-PL2+20mm 1.7

Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?

Alexsfo wrote:

Can somebody explain to me how Panasonic GH2 can beat Sony A55.
Both are very similar in size and weight.

Not really true the A55 is much thicker/deeper. Many of the GH2 lenses are much smaller.

Sony is quite a bit cheaper

A little cheaper. GH2 body only is $675 on Panasonic's facebook site. The 14-140 kit lens is what is expensive.

has best in class IBIS

GH2 has no IBIS so a clear win for A55

much wider (4x times?) lens selection

AF lenses only. Minolta MD, Canon FD, etc all work on the GH2.

much higher LCD resolution (2x),

But the GH2 EVF is better

currently best sensor out of all DSLRs with usable images all the way up to ISO12800,

True, but the mirror blocks 1/3rd the light. I compared both up to ISO3200 and there is no difference. From ISO6400 and up the A55 wins (I think DPR confirmed)

built-in GPS, HDR and 3D panorama to name a few.

Is that what you buy a camera for? If so buy the A55. I do the panos and HDR via software (even my A55 images).

Well, again, it is really not much more expensive anymore. You can't get video lenses for the Sony (like the quiet, stepless aperture 14-140mm lens). The video is much better on the GH2, and for some reason DPR likes the RAW files from the GH2 better.

Now, all that being said, I tried both and went with the A55. I did not like the GH2 jpegs (lots of green and yellow faces), and my wife thought the A55 was 5x easier to use.

I sold the GH2 for $200 more than I bought it for and got an E-PL2 (with IBIS) as my carry-around camera.

HankK
Regular MemberPosts: 389
Like?
GH2 vs Sony Alpha 55 -- Had both returned A55

I am a still shooter. I had the A55 for a time and found that to get decent quality lenses you are back to getting full size DSLR lenses so you are back to big size kit and heavy. I have a Canon 5D2 and did not want another DSLR kit.

The GH2 is just so much better size and weight wise. I also found the GH2 with the proper choice of lenses yielded better quality photos for me. I do not shoot above 1600 and mostly at 160 to 400.

I also had an overheat problem shooting stills with A55.

The GH2 just turned out to be a better overall kit for me, one that I have with me at all times.
--
Hank K
Panasonic GH2, G1, Canon 5D2, L and Zeiss lenses

petr marek
Regular MemberPosts: 169
Like?

Before I´ve bought GH2 I´ve tried A55 for a short time. It was a really short time, because I was very dissapointed with its performance while shooting video. No control at all, noisy and chaotic autofocus while filming, terrible kit lens quality, small viewfinder. Now I´m very happy everyday user of GH2. Try both for comparsion, there´s much more key differencies... Also with GH2 you can use ANY lens via adapter and it´s a camera wihout compromises.

SHood
Senior MemberPosts: 3,904Gear list
Like?
Re: GH2 vs Sony Alpha 55 -- Had both returned A55
In reply to HankK, Mar 24, 2011

This is a general problem with APS-C cameras. There is a limited selection of quality APS-C lenses expecially at the long end. There is a large difference in weight and size between m43 and FF lenses.

HankK wrote:

I am a still shooter. I had the A55 for a time and found that to get decent quality lenses you are back to getting full size DSLR lenses so you are back to big size kit and heavy. I have a Canon 5D2 and did not want another DSLR kit.

The GH2 is just so much better size and weight wise. I also found the GH2 with the proper choice of lenses yielded better quality photos for me. I do not shoot above 1600 and mostly at 160 to 400.

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
PerL
Forum ProPosts: 12,458
Like?
deleted (nt)

Alexsfo wrote:

--
E-PL2+20mm 1.7

zxaar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,252
Like?
Re: GH2 vs Sony Alpha 55 -- Had both returned A55
In reply to SHood, Mar 24, 2011

SHood wrote:

This is a general problem with APS-C cameras. There is a limited selection of quality APS-C lenses expecially at the long end. There is a large difference in weight and size between m43 and FF lenses.

Yaa agree with you, this is general problem with APSC cameras. For example take canon APC cameras, they hardly have any lenses for them when compared to m43.

Nikon also has same problem, to make things worse, these two are market leaders and so clearly these fools who are buying these APSC cameras are restricted to 1 or 2 kits lenses.

HankK wrote:

-- hide signature --

::> I make spelling mistakes. May Dog forgive me for this.

MrTaikitso
Contributing MemberPosts: 669Gear list
Like?

As someone who spent literally months evaluating each camera, (lack of stock of GH2s meant I had to wait until the last moment, a week ago), I only rejected the A55 because the flip out display could not be positioned where I wanted it whilst the camera was on a tripod. The A55 is very innovative and excellent 'VFM' (Value For Money), but I purchased a GH2 14-140 and am over the moon with it. But that is not to discount the A55. They are both good for different reasons, but I would consider the GH2 more professional, whilst the A55 is the ultimate tourist camera, in particular thanks to the panorama and GPS capabilities.

Alexsfo wrote:

--
E-PL2+20mm 1.7

MrTaikitso's gear list:MrTaikitso's gear list
Samsung EX2F +1 more
bur437
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?
In reply to Adventsam, Mar 24, 2011

Adventsam wrote:

Well actually the GH2 makes a lot of sense, what else has a walkaround 100-300mm lense that with body weighs in at less than 1kg? at the other extreme, a body and lense with f1.7 that almost pocketable and a perfect 35mm focal length. As a stills camera unless these people are blind its a powerhouse. In my quick tests over a week the a55 was poor in all respects, especially detail and I found the raw files very poor. As a stills machine it missed focus a lot, you couldnt shoot in af and on turning of the mf ring tweak focus, at 10x auto maginfier. There are no iso intermediates that I found, the evf is crude on an evening, noisey, there are no custom buttons of functions settings, bracketing is basic, I could go on, its a low end featured dslr, it was awkward to hold and output was continually soft.

LOL! surprised you didnt post this thread as well!
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1037&message=37876909
You know the one where you continually bitch about Sony but get found out.

For what its worth, i think the GH2 is an excellent camera with few flaws but too expensive for me right now. The A55 has so much potential but seems let down by some small issues which hopefully are resolved in future SLT models.

Adventsam
Like?
In reply to bur437, Mar 24, 2011

Bur, get your facts right! I got found out for nothing, if you read the thread properly you will see I pointed at somebody else's comments, not mine. I recently tried an a55 myself a few weeks back, for a full 10 days, man it was bad and everything I heard about it was true, for video its the worse ever, for stills it made good and bad images, some was user errror some was just a poor image imo. I have zero experience with nex and I hope your happy with your choice of whatever in the future.

bur437 wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

LOL! surprised you didnt post this thread as well!
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1037&message=37876909
You know the one where you continually bitch about Sony but get found out.

For what its worth, i think the GH2 is an excellent camera with few flaws but too expensive for me right now. The A55 has so much potential but seems let down by some small issues which hopefully are resolved in future SLT models.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads