Samsung NX100 Top Control Wheel Problem

Started Mar 23, 2011 | Discussions
incubon
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Samsung NX100 Top Control Wheel Problem
Mar 23, 2011

Hi Everyone,

I want to ask if someone here using the Samsung NX100 has problems with the top control wheel? (The one that controls the shutter speed and the zoom during playback/preview) ...

Mine has already become unresponsive and erroneous. Everytime I turn it, it won't respond or it will go the other way, just like how a defective mouse wheel works.

Thank you!

aeolos
Regular MemberPosts: 217
Like?
Re: Samsung NX100 Top Control Wheel Problem
In reply to incubon, Mar 23, 2011

mine is acting weird too..
works okay to the right but when i turn it left it jumps around crazy.
i will probably have to send it in at some point

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hpchan
Contributing MemberPosts: 644Gear list
Like?
In reply to aeolos, Mar 23, 2011

I have the same issue after one week of using on Manual Foucus. Exchange to a new

one by SEARS. The New I take care not to turn too fast, not use to enlarge playback until now seems OK. Nx100 is not designed to Profession USE level nor MANUAL DIGITAL CAMERA, take care of use this sharp machine. Samsung had good service on repair, free shipping both return and send back one week working time.

hpchan's gear list:hpchan's gear list
Samsung NX100
BreaksSpiderWed
Regular MemberPosts: 441
Like?
In reply to hpchan, Mar 23, 2011

If I turn the control wheel to quickly it will will jump so turn it slowly. As for the other problem I have not had that.
--

The actions of those that came before us affect us today, as our actions will affect those that come after us. How do we want to be remembered?

Coldamus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,603
Like?
In reply to incubon, Mar 23, 2011

It is a common problem with other camera brands too. I had a similar issue with my Pentax K20d. Eventually mine solved itself but others have recommended lubricating the wheel contacts with a special conductive grease. I don't know how you are supposed to get the grease in where it is needed though.

aeolos
Regular MemberPosts: 217
Like?
In reply to Coldamus, Mar 23, 2011

had the same problem with a new sony alpha100 a couple of years ago.
it could happen with every camera.

but this is a cheap camera.. will send it in and hope the problem doesnt come back.
i would be much more annoyed if it happened on my nikon d300.

Spotpuff
Regular MemberPosts: 102Gear list
Like?
In reply to incubon, Jul 6, 2011

Sorry to bump an old thread; I got my nx100 about a month ago and unfortunately my top control wheel is now having this problem.

It turns to the right ok, but when turning to the left it will either go the wrong way (zoom in more) or nothing at all, or goes the right way (zooms out).

This obviously makes manual control of the camera almost impossible.

Hopefully Samsung provides great service in Canada :T

pocoman
Contributing MemberPosts: 505
Like?

incubon wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I want to ask if someone here using the Samsung NX100 has problems with the top control wheel? (The one that controls the shutter speed and the zoom during playback/preview) ...

Mine has already become unresponsive and erroneous. Everytime I turn it, it won't respond or it will go the other way, just like how a defective mouse wheel works.

Had exact same problem and had Samsung (Canada) fix it; no questions asked.
Works fine now.

Spotpuff
Like?
In reply to pocoman, Jul 6, 2011

How exactly did Samsung Canada fix yours? Did you have to ship it to them? It seems like they're going to send someone to my house, which seems... weird.

pocoman
Like?
In reply to Spotpuff, Jul 6, 2011

That is weird...

I took it back to the retailer and they sent it to Samsung. Got it back in about 2 weeks.

Spotpuff
Like?
In reply to pocoman, Jul 6, 2011

OK never mind, they said a "field technician" would contact me; I assumed that meant they were sending someone to my house but looks like I have to mail it to a repair center.

I have no idea what's I'm supposed to do though; do I have to pay for shipping on this? It says to "attach waybills" etc. but the printout they emailed me doesn't look like a UPS label. I guess I will call them tomorrow. Crappy thing is I called 1-800-SAMSUNG and they said they were for US support only, even though that's the contact number listed for Canadian support as well :T

Very frustrating.

pocoman
Like?
In reply to Spotpuff, Jul 6, 2011

Spotpuff wrote:

Crappy thing is I called 1-800-SAMSUNG and they said they were for US support only, even though that's the contact number listed for Canadian support as well :T

Very frustrating.

I hate 1-800 numbers... very typical support behavior.
Hang in there... hopefully you get it resolved quickly.

chainmale
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?

This is a major problem with the NX100. It is obviously a very poorly designed and engineered part . I expect it could account for 50% of Samsung's warranty issues and I hope they will change the design for the NX200. On the other hand I consider the NX100 to be a cheap but quite useful little workhorse but ultimately a disposeable camera. If all this was happening on a £1000 DSLR then I think we would have cause for a product recall.

Spotpuff
Like?
In reply to chainmale, Jul 7, 2011

Just an update I got a UPS shipping label finally.

Samsung's support procedure could use a little work; they sent me 3 emails with no indication of what would be coming next. The second email contained a shipping label but no UPS tracking # or barcode and no indication that the UPS shipping label would be coming.

Phone support was pretty awful with off-shored support. One of the three people I talked to was a jerk. The repair facility though was very helpful and was pleasant to deal with.

Anyways, I'll send the camera in and hopefully this gets fixed and doesn't crop up again; sucks I waited past 30 days to try to fiddle with manual mode and used "ok" to zoom out in playback (since the top wheel was sluggish as hell to zoom in as well). Live and learn I guess.

kwojdyna
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
In reply to incubon, Sep 25, 2012

Hi everybody. I think I can help with it.

I have 3 of these cameras in my family so far. I got all 3 brand new and they comes from a different parts of the world and various series (black comes from Poland, grey from Germany and White from UK; still want a brown one to last kid when she grows up a little).

I find this camera very good, better than any of even newest nx (nx200, nx210, nx20, nx1000 etc.) because it has not such rough and deep noise reduction and does not higher ISO JPGs look so unnatural. It has better noise than micro 4/3 cameras and it is A WAY cheaper than other large sensor mirrorless cameras.

But it has 2 dents.

1. What it does is not controlling an external flash (SEF-42) AF light. I have fixed one of my cameras to do so on the warranty, the others I CANNOT because Samsung lets you use your warranty only in the country of purchase. SHAME ON YOU, SAMSUNG! It should be repaired any place regardless warranty because it is manufacturing issue - it looks ALL NX100 have this problem!

2. The other issue is what is described here - top plate control wheel goes crazy.

Let me describe what I've found. Probably it is because of moisture because these cameras get the problem even after a smallest contact vith wet weather when most cameras work fine after it.

The solution is very simple and I do so regardless warranty - do not have to wait to repair it and pay for shipping. All you need is some IPA (isopropyl alcohol). You just let a drop or two through the wheel (do not need to disassemble anything) and wait until it dries (what takes several minutes). After it you'll see it working properly, but not smooth. Now you need to let a drop of lubrification (oil for electric contacts would be best) through that control wheel and turn it for a while. It will work until another exposure to moisture. At least it works like it with all my 3 cameras of this type for 1,5 year.

I hope I was helpful.

tags:

wheel control failure malfunction problem problems flash switch hot shoe hotshoe nx100 nx-100 górne kółko pokrętło samsung lampa błyskowa

kwojdyna's gear list:kwojdyna's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Nikon D700 Samsung NX100 Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +3 more
frank-in-toronto
Contributing MemberPosts: 981
Like?
In reply to Spotpuff, Sep 26, 2012

I just went thru the same issue. phoned them, i had to fax them the invoice to prove purchase as these are all old cameras, they sent me a ups label. i took the camera to ups and sent it in. received it back 2 weeks later. working. i also received a weird phone call asking how it was 3 or 4 days before i got the camera back!

WMT
WMT
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
In reply to kwojdyna, Oct 4, 2012

It worked, thank you so muh!

migus
Regular MemberPosts: 398
Like?
In reply to incubon, Oct 5, 2012

known issue, reported in many threads; both the top wheel and the lens ring could be affected; solvable by cleaning/drying or replacement (official solution)

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3089087

knukklhead
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to frank-in-toronto, Oct 25, 2012

I also am sending in my NX100 for top control wheel repair. It took about 4 calls to get any info on where to send it ect......they finally sent me a UPS shipping label. The only problem i have now is nobody can tell me what I need to send in. Do I send only the camera body? Or body and battery, or body battery and lens?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads