D7000 sensor mark

Started Mar 20, 2011 | Discussions
Dave Thompson
Contributing MemberPosts: 693Gear list
Like?
D7000 sensor mark
Mar 20, 2011

Hi,

Could anyone tell me what would cause this on the sensor? Doesn't look like the normal dust marks to me. I have not tried to clean it yet until I am sure what type of mark it is.

I am always very careful when changing lenses etc and can only conclude it has been there since it left the factory.

Thanks for any help, Dave

http://davidrthompson.zenfolio.com/

Dave Thompson's gear list:Dave Thompson's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D800 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +12 more
harri manni
Senior MemberPosts: 1,727
Like?
Re: D7000 sensor mark
In reply to Dave Thompson, Mar 20, 2011

Could be oil spots from the shutter mechanism or something, noticed my D7000 also had spots from factory, wonder it more houses is affected by this?

Had to clean my sensor after just a few weeks and I still have som minor spots left.
--
Harri - My blog: flatulated.blogspot.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dave Thompson
Like?
In reply to harri manni, Mar 20, 2011

Thanks, did wonder that as it looks like some kind of liquid smear.

Dave
--

Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D800 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +12 more
HSway
Senior MemberPosts: 2,591
Like?

Hi Dave,

I sent my d7000 straight to Nikon because of this although it was clearly visible only on narrow apertures. Mirror box was not exactly spotless too. They cleaned it up and did so unusually fast (not a fix actually). I checked the work and it was done well.

Best,

Hynek

-- hide signature --
Dave Thompson
Like?
In reply to HSway, Mar 20, 2011

Thanks Hynek,

Did they say what the mark was? As long as it can be done with a wet clean I don't mind doing myself.

Dave
--

Gunzorro
Senior MemberPosts: 1,880
Like?

Why risk doing it yourself and being told you are at fault if it doesn't clean up? Do the smart thing and have Nikon take care of it, and become aware of the problem -- it could help you or others down the line.

HSway
Senior MemberPosts: 2,591
Like?

There was some problem at the time caused by shipping cameras based on this sensor with stains in above average number of cases (namely K 5) along with claims it’s not being only a filter issue..

Besides I think brand new camera should come spotless as for these components. I had a chat with a technician and stressed specifically that I do not know whether it’s on the outer side of the AA filter.. All went smooth and quick. It’s clearly of a liquid/grease nature – yours too. I see it shows up at f9 which I think is rather bad.

They did it within warranty; I just mentioned I barely shot with it. They didn’t say what, just a note saying that it was all cleaned. – The last thing I thought to do is to start some ferocious headlines on forums but if someone is in trouble that’s different. – You can imagine we would see forum full of microscopical analyses at f32 for half of a year as some people when seeing no problem actually start to see it anyway as a sort of their brain reflection.

You will see, if it’s brand new (month or two) I’d talk to Nikon – after they log the camera into the system it could be by a week (with some check-call added). And I’d definitely talk to them should it stay there unchanged after wet clean.

Hope it helps Dave,

Hynek

-- hide signature --
Mr Physics
Contributing MemberPosts: 584Gear list
Like?
Seems prudent...
In reply to Gunzorro, Mar 20, 2011

...even if you've done this sort of thing dozens of times, it may be for the better good of you and all D7000 folk if you let Nikon fix it and register it in their product failure databases. And it could come back to bite you on the a$$ if you have another issue.

Mr Physics's gear list:Mr Physics's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +9 more
Dave Thompson
Like?
Re: Seems prudent...
In reply to Mr Physics, Mar 20, 2011

Thanks for all your help. Think I will get in touch with Nikon and see what they have to say.

You have helped me by confirming that it is some kind of liquid staining and not the sort of thing you would expect in a new camera.

Will keep you up to date.

Regards, Dave
--

6fingers
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
In reply to Dave Thompson, Mar 21, 2011

have the exact same thing on a new D7000, it's a kind of oil/grease. Going to Nikon to clean it.

Aristoc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,700
Like?
In reply to 6fingers, Mar 21, 2011

I have heard of cameras coming back from Nikon service more dirty then when they got there. I was at Nikon service desk personally when I heard the customer next to me get his camera back that went for cleaning. He said it was more dirty than when he gave it. The customer service person said there was nothing that could be done because the technicians do not work in a 'dust free environment'. If the customer wanted further cleaning, he would have to leave the camera and they would have to take it all apart completely and that would take several weeks.

It's well worth it to do some of your own mirror/sensor cleaning with a product like http://www.visibledust.com

Dave Thompson
Like?
Re: Update
In reply to Aristoc, Mar 27, 2011

Hi, just thought I would update you on the progress with the staining on my D7000 sensor. I e-mailed nikon and they have agreed to take the camera in and check it. Thought this may be the best approach rather than do it myself just incase it's something nasty!

I will keep you informed, Jessops have very kindly sent it back through the store.

Regards, Dave
--

rpps
Senior MemberPosts: 1,233Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dave Thompson, Apr 23, 2011

I have the same oil type marks on my sensor and have ordered a kit from Copperhills to do the cleaning myself but after seeing the posts here I think I will send it back to Nikon Australia at least then it will be logged in case of further trouble.

I have sent them this photo and they have agreed to do the cleaning under warranty it's a nuisance having to be without the camera for 10 days or so.
Has anyone had their D7000 cleaned by Nikon and what was the results ?

rpps's gear list:rpps's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +3 more
Hooterville
Contributing MemberPosts: 552Gear list
Like?
In reply to rpps, Apr 23, 2011

UFO in the sky?

Hooterville's gear list:Hooterville's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 +1 more
eNo
eNo
Forum ProPosts: 11,732
Like?
Dust bunnies are a DSLR byproduct
In reply to Dave Thompson, Apr 23, 2011

Yes, dust bunnies. Careful lens swapping (camera upside down, non-windy/dusty environment, etc.) along with the built-in shake sensor cleaning will avoid much dust, but not all dust. If it is dry dust, a Rocket blower will get it off without much hassle. If it's wet, caked on, or oil from moving parts, etc., you will need a wet cleaning. Learn how to do it yourself, and with care and meticulous attention, you should be able to do it without too much trouble.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Seeking the heart and spirit in each image

Gallery and blog: http://imagesbyeduardo.com
Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22061657@N03

rpps
Like?
In reply to Hooterville, Apr 23, 2011

Hooterville wrote:

UFO in the sky?

There's always got to be one in the crowd . LOL

Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +3 more
Rotorbug
Contributing MemberPosts: 695
Like?
In reply to harri manni, Apr 24, 2011

harri manni wrote:

Could be oil spots from the shutter mechanism or something, noticed my D7000 also had spots from factory, wonder it more houses is affected by this?

Had to clean my sensor after just a few weeks and I still have som minor spots left.
--
Harri - My blog: flatulated.blogspot.com

I think you are spot on, excuse the pun!

I have cleaned 800 sensors over 5 years and would come to the same conclusion just looking at the above photo.

Needs a wet clean.

My D300s came dirty with same kind of lubricant type spot.

birdpix
Senior MemberPosts: 1,389
Like?
In reply to Gunzorro, Apr 25, 2011

Mine is coming back from NY Nikon service this week from the same exact problem - looked like a star map of an astrological sign on my sensor, despite repeat camera and manual sensor cleanings. I've had dust bunnies on other DSLR's, but these seemed to be more of splash or stain mark look to them.

Hope it's fixed when it gets back here!

-- hide signature --

Eric in Florida

rpps
Like?
In reply to birdpix, Apr 25, 2011

birdpix wrote:

Mine is coming back from NY Nikon service this week from the same exact problem - looked like a star map of an astrological sign on my sensor, despite repeat camera and manual sensor cleanings. I've had dust bunnies on other DSLR's, but these seemed to be more of splash or stain mark look to them.

Hope it's fixed when it gets back here!

-- hide signature --

Eric in Florida

Please post the results as I'm still debating whether to send mine back to Nikon or doing it myself, 2 weeks turn-around for Nikon service

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,090Gear list
Like?
As stated above - oil spot
In reply to Dave Thompson, Apr 25, 2011

Return to Nikon for cleaning. This is NOT a dust bunny.
--
Steve Bingham
http://www.dustylens.com
http://www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads