Ultra Zoom Camera with traditional viewfinder

Started Mar 12, 2011 | Discussions
Saving Lady
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Ultra Zoom Camera with traditional viewfinder
Mar 12, 2011

Does anyone make an ultra-zoom camera (at least 12x) with a traditional viewfinder. I really dislike the LCD displays that many cameras have settled on in lieu of a traditional viewfinder.

Thanks.

John Q Public
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
Re: Ultra Zoom Camera with traditional viewfinder
In reply to Saving Lady, Mar 12, 2011

I'm far from an expert, but I believe the closest is the Nikon p7000, and it's only 7x. Have you considered using the buying guide and searching by feature?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,002Gear list
Like?
Won't happen

Saving Lady wrote:

Does anyone make an ultra-zoom camera (at least 12x) with a traditional viewfinder. I really dislike the LCD displays that many cameras have settled on in lieu of a traditional viewfinder.

An optical viewfinder with a 12X zoom is going to be an awful lot like the camera's actual lens, be similar in size, and come close to it in cost; it would be the rebirth of the twin-lens reflex. This is a camera you're not going to see.

Aside from DSLR's, there are very few digital cameras with optical viewfinders these days and most of those are pretty poor; they're generally referred to as "tunnel" finders because using them is like looking down a tunnel.

So electronic viewfinders are the best solution for compact cameras with a wide zoom range.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Humboldt Jim
Senior MemberPosts: 1,071
Like?
Re: Ultra Zoom Camera with traditional viewfinder; Kind of

If what you mean by "traditional" as viewing through an ocular; Yes. That would be an electronic viewfinder that has the advantage over the traditional optical viewfinder of being able to display information, amplify light and provide essentially 100% accuracy. I agree that LCDs for using long telephotos are especially poor tools for that purpose.

HJ

hha
hha
Regular MemberPosts: 332Gear list
Like?

Saving Lady wrote:

If you get an ultra-zoom with a hot shoe bracket you can attached an old optical view finder with a cross-hair (+) at the center. I tried it with a 10x zoom. The framing is not accurate, it is cumbersome, but it actually works with some practice.

hha

Gato Amarillo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,455
Like?
Impractical if not impossible

A decent finder covering that zoom range would be bulky, heavy and expensive -- and that's before you even consider the problems of parallax and accuracy. It is very unlikely that a camera with such a finder could be competitive in size and price.

An EVF offers the advantage of completely accurate framing in a small, relatively inexpensive package.

Gato

-- hide signature --

"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain, and most fools do."
-- Dale Carnegie

Silver Mirage Gallery:
http://www.silvermirage.com

DonA2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,064Gear list
Like?

Saving Lady wrote:

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Mind me asking why you reject the many EVF finders on the many SuperZoom offerings? Just curious.
Don V. Armitage

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
Rodolfo
Contributing MemberPosts: 635
Like?

Saving Lady: welcome to DPR. My reading is that you mean simply having a viewfinder vs. only an LCD screen. I am ever-so-strongly with you. I own a Panasonic ZS3 and I am quite sure that this is my first and last viewfinderless camera -knowing, as you've gathered, that finding options is becoming increasingly difficult -even with a good database and tool, which would address present problem. The DPR search is useless or extremely inefficient because it doesn't allow you to select simply a "yes" for the viewfinder item -one of many ways in which that database and tool are soooo weak (yes, DRP: I am available available for very low cost consultation). This review should help though: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q110superzoomgroup/

Lin Evans
Forum ProPosts: 15,638Gear list
Like?
Some additional information....
In reply to Saving Lady, Mar 13, 2011

As others have mentioned - most ultrazoom cameras have both an LCD "and" an "EVF" (electronic view finder). The up-side of the EVF has already been described. The down-side is that under certain lighting conditions, it's very difficult to see well enough to properly frame your subject. The view is quite different from a good optical viewfinder.

There is, however, another solution which though a bit "awkward" is sometimes "much" better than the EVF and can also be a solution when there is no EVF. The solution is a device which fits over the LCD and lets you put your eye right up to it like you would to a regular viewfinder. It allows you to use the LCD under virtually "any" lighting conditions and provides a much larger and brighter view than the tiny EVF. One manufacturer/distributor which I'm very familiar with is PhotoSolve, of Tulsa, Oklahoma. The device is called the Xtend-a-View and is made in a variety of sizes. It very much resembles the old slide viewers which people could use to look at slides without an projector. The company is ultra reliable and the products they handle are first-rate all around. Here's a link:

http://www.photosolve.com

I've used these devices for many years with many of my digicams and even underwater with a waterproof housing and small digicams. They really work well and are very well made.

Best regards,

Lin

Saving Lady wrote:

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

Skipper494
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,015
Like?

Probably the nearest, but with EVF, is the Panasonic FZ35, replaced, but still available on sale, and it has an excellent Leica lens. For a larger sensor, real viewfinder, but shorter zoom, then the Nikon P7000. I have both and am very happy with them.

CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,211Gear list
Like?

Saving Lady wrote:

Many Super Zoom cameras have a viewfinder that you hold up to your eye and not only a rear LCD. However these viewfinders are usually electronic ("EVF") not optical (OVF) as in a traditional DSLR - but at least they are shaded from light and reflection. Some are pretty good.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads