XZ-1 Richard Franiec grip = Amazing

Started Mar 9, 2011 | Discussions
Crazy_M
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
XZ-1 Richard Franiec grip = Amazing
Mar 9, 2011

I've had my XZ-1 grip for a couple of days now so I thought I'd offer my opinions on it for those sitting on the fence.

• The fit and finish is perfect. There is no other word for it. There are no gaps or lips or anything to get caught up.

• In practice it make NO discernible increase to the camera bulk. As you can see the lens even in the closed position is absolutely dwarfs it.

• The amount of additional grip it offers is surprising. I cant imagine going back to without it. I was initially on the fence because the XZ-1 handles okay out of the box, but I had wondered if it could be improved because the weight of the lens creates a noticeable torque in your hand. With the grip on I can hook my middle finger securely around it and there is a major increase in stability when hand-holding.

So if you think your naked XZ-1 feels like its missing something I can 100% recommend the Franiec grip. If you think the XZ-1 is fine as it is then you had better not try one with a grip - you really wont want to go back! Richard is a great guy to deal with and this seemingly insignificant add-on really makes a good camera great.

Now, if only I could persuade him to make a slim aluminium auto-cap then my XZ-1 would be complete!

BluAlloy
Regular MemberPosts: 436
Like?
Re: XZ-1 Richard Franiec grip = Amazing
In reply to Crazy_M, Mar 9, 2011

That's good to hear. I went ahead and ordered mine a few days ago as I felt it was needed. My grip, EVF and wrist strap should all arrive next week. It'll be Christmas all over again.

Now, if only I could persuade him to make a slim aluminium auto-cap then my XZ-1 would be complete!

Ohhh Ohhh and a slide off filter adapter ring for ND/polarizer filters. I'd be on that in a heartbeat.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MySmallCamera
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?

Thanks for the review... If you don't mind I ask few basic questions...

How does the grip get fixed to the camera? Adhesive?

Is the installation difficult and need some careful alignment?

Do you think it's stable and will last? Or will it come loose after a while?

-
http://www.mysmallcamera.com/

niles5150
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
In reply to MySmallCamera, Mar 9, 2011

MySmallCamera wrote:

Yes, special adhesive tape is pre-installed in the grip.

Installation was not difficult, just do several dry runs to get a feel where the grip attaches.

The grip feels permanent, like Olympus designed it there in the first place.

There is one odd thing, the instructions say to remove the battery before installing the grip. I can't imagine why. I'll email Richard later and ask why, but only after the buying frenzy for his new grip dies down.

Crazy_M
Like?
In reply to MySmallCamera, Mar 9, 2011

MySmallCamera wrote:

-
http://www.mysmallcamera.com/

Sure

• It is attached by VHB (very high bond) 3M clear transfer film. Its basically a really grunty double sided tape.

• Installation is easy. You can trial run it a few times before you peel off the backing paper to line things up. The wraps around the end of the camera slightly so there is really only one place for it to go. If the worst came to worst you can slide dental floss between the grip and the body and separate the adhesive tape and try again.

• There is no give or flexibility in it at the moment, and i have no reason to expect it to. Its is an extremely strong bond and any force you can realistically apply to it will be parallel to the adhesive. Basically its staying put until you decide to 'floss' it off.

There is more info on his site if you are interested...

http://www.kleptography.com/rf/

alroot
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?

I have just ordered one.
Thanks for the information

MDLSoft
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
In reply to alroot, Mar 9, 2011

I think that Richard's grip is very good and useful with a great finish, but maybe there is a problem with the original leather case CSCH84, if you use Richard's grip the camera will not fit in the origital case. Maybe he develops a new leather case adapted for the added grip.

I would like an auto lens cap like JJC but better construction (alluminium or magnesium) with smaller mechanism and other thing very interesting is a lensmate (or Franiec) lens adapter for this camera, a polarizer and ND filter could be very useful with this camera.

Cheers
--
.:: MDLSoft ::.

justharry
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
Re: XZ-1 Richard Franiec grip = Amazing ... Question?

Although I have ordered several Franiac add ons for my G9, I never ordered one of his grips. Question: If, at some point, one wants to remove the grip after having installed it, does it leave any permanent residue on the camera body?

Thanks ... harry

justharry's gear list:justharry's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon PowerShot G9 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +2 more
Barry Carter
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,359Gear list
Like?
In reply to justharry, Mar 9, 2011

The use of adhesive is a deal breaker for me. I thought it might be a friction fit.

So I will pass. If you need more friction in your grip, just attach a strip of the fuzzy side of the wide Industrial type Velcro and be done.

Ciao....Barry

justharry wrote:

Although I have ordered several Franiac add ons for my G9, I never ordered one of his grips. Question: If, at some point, one wants to remove the grip after having installed it, does it leave any permanent residue on the camera body?

Thanks ... harry

Barry Carter's gear list:Barry Carter's gear list
Nikon D5200
Dwip
Regular MemberPosts: 410
Like?
In reply to Barry Carter, Mar 9, 2011

But wouldn't you attach the Velcro with adhesive? I must be missing something....

skiphunt13
Senior MemberPosts: 2,472
Like?

That's actually a really good idea! More guerilla-style too. And, would be more secure & grippy if your hands are wet from sweat, etc.... or BBQ sauce.

Barry Carter wrote:

The use of adhesive is a deal breaker for me. I thought it might be a friction fit.

So I will pass. If you need more friction in your grip, just attach a strip of the fuzzy side of the wide Industrial type Velcro and be done.

Ciao....Barry

-- hide signature --
meanwhile
Contributing MemberPosts: 717Gear list
Like?

Richard's grips are great, and the adhesive he uses is A-grade, very high bond stuff that does NOT come off accidentally. It also does come off easily when you want it to, without leaving any residue. (The easiest way seems to be with a simple piece of dental floss.)

They are high quality, generally fit the look of the camera, and do not cause any damage if you need to remove it. I have one on my S90, and it's basically perfect, and I'll also be getting one for the XZ-1 when it arrives.

Richard Franiec
Senior MemberPosts: 2,030Gear list
Like?
In reply to niles5150, Mar 10, 2011

niles5150 wrote:

snip

There is one odd thing, the instructions say to remove the battery before installing the grip. I can't imagine why. I'll email Richard later and ask why, but only after the buying frenzy for his new grip dies down.

The reason for removing battery prior to grip installation is simple: you want to avoid inadvertently power up the camera and unexpected movement of the lens during the process. It could startle most of the people.

Cheers

Richard

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +5 more
niles5150
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
In reply to Richard Franiec, Mar 11, 2011

Richard Franiec wrote:

niles5150 wrote:

snip

The reason for removing battery prior to grip installation is simple: you want to avoid inadvertently power up the camera and unexpected movement of the lens during the process. It could startle most of the people.

Cheers

Richard

Well, of course (accompanied by the sound of hand hitting a forehead), that makes a lot of sense. Someone might drop their new $500 camera. Thanks for the information.

MauiWally
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to meanwhile, Mar 12, 2011

Aloha from Maui,

I must concur with "meanwhile" as I have three of Richard's fine products. I have his grips on both my Sigma DP1 and DP2 cameras. They have worked well for me in terms of added grip, security and handling. I also have his cable release bracket for these cameras and it is a joy to use.

I just ordered the new grip for my recent XZ-1 purchase and look forward to the improved grip and hand positioning that this will provide.

I have also had very positive communications with Richard in the past and he is a true gent to deal with. Can't wait to see what he will come up with next for the XZ-1 but I'm sure it'll be on my short list of additional things to get.
--
Aloha,
MauiWally

Oly XZ-1
Oly C8080WZ
Sigma DP1,DP2
Fuji F20

justharry
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
Hey Carzy_M where did you get that neat lookinig wrist strap ..
In reply to Crazy_M, Mar 12, 2011

.. ? harry

justharry's gear list:justharry's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon PowerShot G9 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +2 more
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,481Gear list
Like?
I do not recommend the grip
In reply to justharry, Mar 12, 2011

It was great for the Canon S90, a completely slippery finish.

But I never put it on my S95, which had a finish.

To remove the grip from the S90 took the floss, and it left industrial strength adhesive marks which finally came off the smooth finish ... but I do not see how it could come off a textured finish...it is a forever, unless you chemically take it out.

I do not think a textured camera needs it. One day I hope to compare.

It also does make the camera look larger, depending on the angle. In a tight pouch, it also can get in the way of the zipper closing.

For the Canon S90 it was great. I think the white XZ-1 needs it and it might look great with the black lens and the black grip! How about a picture of the White XZ-1 and the grip!

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Combatmedic870
Contributing MemberPosts: 948Gear list
Like?
In reply to MDLSoft, Mar 12, 2011

A polarizer would be very useful in alot of cases....it has a 3 stop nd filter built in.

MDLSoft wrote:

I think that Richard's grip is very good and useful with a great finish, but maybe there is a problem with the original leather case CSCH84, if you use Richard's grip the camera will not fit in the origital case. Maybe he develops a new leather case adapted for the added grip.

I would like an auto lens cap like JJC but better construction (alluminium or magnesium) with smaller mechanism and other thing very interesting is a lensmate (or Franiec) lens adapter for this camera, a polarizer and ND filter could be very useful with this camera.

Cheers
--
.:: MDLSoft ::.

-- hide signature --

Ryan,

Combatmedic870's gear list:Combatmedic870's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Crazy_M
Like?
Re: Hey Carzy_M where did you get that neat lookinig wrist strap ..
In reply to justharry, Mar 13, 2011

justharry wrote:

.. ? harry

It's the hand strap from a Nintendo Wii :). Cost all of $2.20 shipped, has the clamp so you can quickly sinch it up on your wrist, and comes in almost any colour you could want

Crazy_M
Like?
Re: I do not recommend the grip
In reply to photo perzon, Mar 13, 2011

photo perzon wrote:

It was great for the Canon S90, a completely slippery finish.

But I never put it on my S95, which had a finish.

To remove the grip from the S90 took the floss, and it left industrial strength adhesive marks which finally came off the smooth finish ... but I do not see how it could come off a textured finish...it is a forever, unless you chemically take it out.

Personally whenever I remove any adhesive I use a solvent. Isopropyl alcohol, methylates spirits, turpentine, petrol.. pretty well any solvent you can name will remove the residue.

I do not think a textured camera needs it. One day I hope to compare.

For me its wasnt the texture, it the unadorned sahpe that was the problem. I wanted a finger hook

It also does make the camera look larger, depending on the angle. In a tight pouch, it also can get in the way of the zipper closing.

I do have a tight pouch, and for me it made zero difference. I'm interested in what pouch has a zip in front of the grip side of the body?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads