My 7D just suddenly stopped working . help!

Started Mar 9, 2011 | Discussions
funki_ous
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
My 7D just suddenly stopped working . help!
Mar 9, 2011

I was out shooting and my 7D just turned off by itself and after that
I couldnt make it work. All i am seeing on the mini lcd screen

is an empty battery icon that keeps on blinking even if its a fully charged battery
and even if the camera is switched off, that icon still blinks.
Tried to do something about it like turning it on and off, changing the
battery and trying another fully charged one, i even try to use another CF card.

I also got an error code 80 twice... but after that, its just the empty battery icon blinking.

any of you have experience this? any clue or idea if warranty will cover this as i just
got this september of 2010.

GtoJon
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,546Gear list
Like?
Re: My 7D just suddenly stopped working . help!
In reply to funki_ous, Mar 9, 2011

Call Canon .... should be covered .... sorry about your loss

Cheers
--
http://www.JonSmithers.com GtoJon -
Taken any photographs lately?

GtoJon's gear list:GtoJon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Canon Extender EF 2x II Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Charlotte Lowrie
Regular MemberPosts: 160
Like?
In reply to GtoJon, Mar 9, 2011

I looked up Error 80 in the Instruction Manual and it says to "operate the power switch"--they must mean to turn the camera on and off. Also remove and reinsert the battery, or "use a Canon lens." It sounds like you tried all of these options. I'd take it in, or send it to Canon. I had a new 60D with a problem right out of the box, so it does happen.

Hope you get the problem resolved quickly and as painlessly as possible.
--
...charlotte...
http://wordsandphotos.org

Flying Fish
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936
Like?
In reply to funki_ous, Mar 9, 2011

Your camera is still under warranty if you bought it new with an in-country warranty. I say this with confidence even though you are in Canada and I am in the United States. It's been at most 6 months since you bought it. Call Canon and I'm pretty sure they will tell you to send it in.

My 7D just stopped working in December--it had even less sign of life than yours--and Canon repaired it for no charge even though the warranty had expired.

Nice to have Charlotte Lowrie posting on here! If she can't tell you what's wrong, it's unlikely that anyone else here can, but Canon will.

Good luck.

FF

funki_ous
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
In reply to GtoJon, Mar 9, 2011

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Will bring it to Canon as soon as possibl

Rahul Rajah
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to funki_ous, Nov 28, 2011

Hey, I got the same problem with my 7D...an empty battery indicator keeps on blinking even when the battery is fully charged. Have you got your's repaired?, what is the exact problem here, any idea?

Amine Chelbeb
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rahul Rajah, Sep 2, 2012

Hi All,

I got the same problem, but the story was a little diffrent,

my EOS7D dropped on a water, first the camera stop working, after a quiq clining of the battry compartment, I got a message on the smal Upper LCD "err 40", so back to home, I used a hairdrayer, and I let the camera for few hours, and it works for 5 min only, then stops again and the battry now is blinking even if the switch botton is torned off.

As there is no more update, please for those who hade the same problem couls update me what was the poroblem and if it was repaired and how?????

thanks
--

ACB

crisu
Forum MemberPosts: 77
Like?
In reply to Amine Chelbeb, Sep 4, 2012

First of all you must remove the battery and let the camera with all compartiments open into a flow of clean air for about 2 weeks or more ! ,depending of how much watter get inside.Only then put the battery back and if you are lucky it will work.

Now,if you already put and let the battery inside,is too late : corrosion took place and it will cost you a lot of money.
--
Christian

AC1
AC1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,163Gear list
Like?
In reply to funki_ous, Sep 4, 2012

I had the same flashing empty battery symbol 2 weeks ago but it was part of several other error messages straight after I upgraded toe firmware v2.0.0. It turned out that some of my errors were caused by a lose screw causing shorting of the PCB. Since the screw was fixed I have stopped getting these errors including the flashing battery symbol.

So in short it sounds like a visit to Canon servicing.

AC1's gear list:AC1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +2 more
Karl Gnter Wnsch
Forum ProPosts: 10,843Gear list
Like?
In reply to Amine Chelbeb, Sep 4, 2012

Amine Chelbeb wrote:

Hi All,

I got the same problem, but the story was a little diffrent,

my EOS7D dropped on a water, first the camera stop working, after a quiq clining of the battry compartment, I got a message on the smal Upper LCD "err 40", so back to home, I used a hairdrayer, and I let the camera for few hours, and it works for 5 min only, then stops again and the battry now is blinking even if the switch botton is torned off.

By inserting the battery into a not completely dry camera you have effectively made any hope of recovery or repair null and void. It's dead and will stay dead. If the water happens to have been salt water you can expect that no repair center will touch it - it's a goner...
--
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list:Karl Gnter Wnsch's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Flying Fish
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936
Like?
How can you tell when the camera is completely dry?
In reply to Karl Gnter Wnsch, Sep 4, 2012

If putting the battery in a camera that's not completely dry is bad, how do you tell when it is dry?

FF

birdbrain
Senior MemberPosts: 3,330Gear list
Like?
Re: How can you tell when the camera is completely dry?
In reply to Flying Fish, Sep 4, 2012

Flying Fish wrote:

If putting the battery in a camera that's not completely dry is bad, how do you tell when it is dry?

FF

My granddad used to have a piece of seaweed nailed to a bit of wood in his garden, if it was 'crisp' it was dry, if it was 'limp' it was damp. So you could put a bit of seaweed with the camera for a while and if it stays crisp its dry!

-- hide signature --

Phil

I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads