Gary Friedman's A33/A55 Manual

Started Feb 28, 2011 | Discussions
palermo22
Regular MemberPosts: 354
Like?
Gary Friedman's A33/A55 Manual
Feb 28, 2011

Just to let you know: Gary Friedman (who has written many acclaimed books on various Sony models over the years) has just released his new book on the Sony A33/A55 camera. It's up on his web site:

http://friedmanarchivespress.com/ashop/catalogue.php?product=37

I am quite positive that in time this book will be known as the authoritative book on what this camera is all about.

alljoy
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Re: Gary Friedman's A33/A55 Manual
In reply to palermo22, Feb 28, 2011

I purchased and downloaded it today. Its certainly very comprehensive, being full on with plenty of detail and information. This will no doubt take a lot of reading and learning but briefly paging through its more than 400 pages I know that my use of the A55 and the resulting pictures will be all the better for it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Antlab
Contributing MemberPosts: 500
Like?
In reply to palermo22, Feb 28, 2011

palermo22 wrote:

Just to let you know: Gary Friedman (who has written many acclaimed books on various Sony models over the years) has just released his new book on the Sony A33/A55 camera. It's up on his web site:

http://friedmanarchivespress.com/ashop/catalogue.php?product=37

I am quite positive that in time this book will be known as the authoritative book on what this camera is all about.

Yes, I was quite anxiuosly waiting for Gary's new book, and just received his email with the announcement. I asked if a printed version is planned, because I am in doubt if directly buying the ebook or waiting for a paper version.

Ciao

kanjiPT
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to Antlab, Feb 28, 2011

I´m liking a lot. It´s very easy to read. A nice way to learn photography while you know better your camera.

Thanks.

RYERSAN
Regular MemberPosts: 134Gear list
Like?
Re: Gary Friedman's A33/A55 Manual Iphone compatibility?
In reply to kanjiPT, Feb 28, 2011

Just got the email too of it's availability. Anyone know if it's also compatible on an Iphone like it says compatible with the Ipad? I am still waiting for the Ipad 2 so i don't know if it works on an Iphone.

Thanks.

EA

RYERSAN's gear list:RYERSAN's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
JeffFranks
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to palermo22, Mar 1, 2011

I made the payment by PayPal, but cannot find a link to download the book. Does anyone know how to do this?

slh7d
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to JeffFranks, Mar 1, 2011

you should get an email with a link and password. your username is your email address.

JeffFranks
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to slh7d, Mar 1, 2011

Thank you, I just needed to wait for that email. All is well.

rfielder
Regular MemberPosts: 480Gear list
Like?
In reply to JeffFranks, Mar 2, 2011

A bit of chat, but it looks like only one person has purchased it so far.....

Anyone else? I am very tempted, but would really like to hear from otheres who have purchased it first. Price is OK, but as a downloaded file makes me a little hesitant.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Robert Fielder
Brampton, ON, Canada

rfielder's gear list:rfielder's gear list
Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II PZD Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
rfielder
Regular MemberPosts: 480Gear list
Like?
In reply to rfielder, Mar 2, 2011

And another question - is the manual an Adobe pdf file? Is it protected in any way?

I would want to read this on my main PC at home (24" monitor), but would also want to be able to read it on my laptop, and if it is a pdf file, then maybe on my iPhone 3Gs as well (horrible for graphics in a pdf, OK for text). If the document is protected in any way, or tied to one PC, then the purchase may need to be reconsidered.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Robert Fielder
Brampton, ON, Canada

rfielder's gear list:rfielder's gear list
Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II PZD Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
IanML
Contributing MemberPosts: 975
Like?
In reply to rfielder, Mar 2, 2011

Gary's books are not tied to a particular PC. I have his A200 book on my desktop and my laptop, and I paid once.

Yes, it's a pdf, copiously illustrated - well, it's about photography, so it would be

Pass on the iphone thing, but don't hold your breath.

capoyeti
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to palermo22, Mar 2, 2011

Hi Gary,

I've been following the forum for some time now, knowing that my first DSLR/T purchase was 'just around the corner'. I've finally pulled the trigger, and am the proud owner of a new A55. Imagine my horror when I realised that I cannot access your website at all... friedmanarchives.com is not at all available to me from all the ISP's, public networks, and other connections I've tried to use. Your blog is fine (and the rest of the web that I've tried.. :-)), but I can't see your site, let alone purchase your book...

Apologies for posting on this forum.. but I'm leaving for a 4 week mountain biking trip with some close friends on Friday, and am the designated photographer... (talk about the deep end!!). Your book was going to be my salvation!

How else can I buy it?

Thanks,
Chad

IanML
Contributing MemberPosts: 975
Like?
In reply to IanML, Mar 2, 2011

Actually, I can be a bit more helpful. On my netbook screen, the page is legible at 3 inches by 2 7/8 inches, but not much smaller.

That's about 340x 340 pixels.

Garbon21
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to capoyeti, Mar 2, 2011

Gary Friedman's A33/A55 Manual is avalable to buy (Black & White or Colour) in the UK via http://www.lulu.com (Recommended buy Gary himself) Ordered mine today.

capoyeti
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to Garbon21, Mar 2, 2011

Garbon21 wrote:

Gary Friedman's A33/A55 Manual is avalable to buy (Black & White or Colour) in the UK via http://www.lulu.com (Recommended buy Gary himself) Ordered mine today.

Thanks for the heads up.. unfortunately download is the only way I'll be able to get this before Friday morning..

Antlab
Contributing MemberPosts: 500
Like?
In reply to Garbon21, Mar 2, 2011

Garbon21 wrote:

I ordered via Lulu the Colour version. It is quite expensive, but considering the size (almost 500 pages), I hope it will be worthwhile.

Ciao

romicva
Contributing MemberPosts: 549
Like?
In reply to palermo22, Mar 2, 2011

Just got a downloaded version - very impressive!
Thank you.

PhilKeller
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?
In reply to romicva, Mar 3, 2011

Since I am a hands on person and do not enjoy sitting in front of a monitor for hours, I just finished printing Gary's guide. All 500 pages.

In order to save trees and my color ink, I printed color draft mode on back to pack pages with two pages of the guide on on one side of paper. Result: only 125 sheets of paper and very little ink. O courrse, you will have to print out your own test sheets to see if the font size is okay for you. Since I do not consider this a coffe table book it looked fine to me.

Just wanted to share some ideas. Sorry I have not read the guide yet and can not comment on content.

PhilKeller's gear list:PhilKeller's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,475Gear list
Like?
That's absurd...but nice try....
In reply to capoyeti, Mar 3, 2011

capoyeti wrote:

Hi Gary,

friedmanarchives.com is not at all available to me from all the ISP's, public networks, and other connections I've tried to use. Your blog is fine (and the rest of the web that I've tried.. :-)), but I can't see your site, let alone purchase your book...

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +3 more
rvogie
Contributing MemberPosts: 648Gear list
Like?
Re: That's absurd...but nice try....
In reply to Corkcampbell, Mar 3, 2011

Try friedmanarchivespress.com.

rvogie's gear list:rvogie's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A55 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 20mm F2.8 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads