Asus ProArt PA246Q - anybody has an opinion on that P-IPS monitor

Started Feb 18, 2011 | Discussions
MickTheBrick
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Asus ProArt PA246Q - anybody has an opinion on that P-IPS monitor
Feb 18, 2011

In my search for a decent IPS Monitor (was about to get the Dell U2410 or HP LP2475) I just stumbled upon the new Asus ProArt PA246Q.

It was introduced some time last year and is now shipping.

Anybody has an opinion yet?

Thx,
Mick

NewsyL
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,531
Like?
Re: Asus ProArt PA246Q - anybody has an opinion on that P-IPS monitor
In reply to MickTheBrick, Feb 18, 2011

MickTheBrick wrote:

In my search for a decent IPS Monitor (was about to get the Dell U2410 or HP LP2475) I just stumbled upon the new Asus ProArt PA246Q.

It was introduced some time last year and is now shipping.

Anybody has an opinion yet?

24" IPS panel - highly likely it is the same as the one in the HP ZR24w.

Hopefully ASUS did not scrimp on the electronics.

Seen the news on the new Samsung PLS panel? It is not a PVA!

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/23.htm#samsung_sa850

--

Newsy http://newsy.smugmug.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MickTheBrick
Like?
In reply to NewsyL, Feb 18, 2011

Thanks for the hint.

The SA850 sounds interesting but will take a while before it can be found at retailers, I guess. It also is a 27" so I figure it will be a different price point than the Asus.

Mick

MickTheBrick
Like?

Dell had a special for their U2410 for $475 yesterday. However when I just checked, the price was back to $599.

Sooooooo . . .

Just ordered the Asus PA246Q from Newegg. $499 +tax+shipping.

I guess the good thing is that there aren't any reviews on the Asus yet. There are always people who find something and bash any product. That's what made me think about the Dell U2410 with all the tint issues that apparently so many people had with that display.

Let's see how happy I will be with the Asus.

Mick

NewsyL
Like?

MickTheBrick wrote:

Let's see how happy I will be with the Asus.

I just read a bit more on it and I was mistaken to think it is similar to the HP ZR24w. It is more like the U2410 in that it is a wide gamut monitor and claims to have a 10bit panel with a 12bit LUT.

P-IPS is a panel description that NEC has used for the IPS panels in their PA series of monitors. From what I've read they are really nothing more than what most people refer to as H-IPS. I can only hope that the P means the panels are preselected in quality control for a better tolerances than what Dell has been using in the U2410.

NEC has not had the level of complaints re tinting that Dell has had but I believe I recently read here of one PA241w user who has seen some minor tinting with his PA241w.

Use this page to check fro tints when you get yours.

http://tapplox.com/imac-led.html

Also, be aware that with this wide gamut monitor you are going to have to be on top of your color management process - using color managed image viewers, editors, and web browser otherwise certain colors will appear over saturated, particularly reds, greens, and certain skin tones.

http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html#

Let us know.

--

MickTheBrick
Like?
In reply to NewsyL, Feb 18, 2011

I also thought it was a step up from the HP zr24w. At least the spec makes me think that.

Thanks for your links. Have to find some time to look through the whole "color-chain" when my day job allows me to do so.

Immediately I had to replace my monitor that I just lost. So having to buy a new one I now wanted to buy the better one even though it will take me some time before I get to optimize it. I fugure, out-of-the-box it will be at least as good and hopefully better than my old LG 23" TN.

Mick

NewsyL
Like?

MickTheBrick wrote:

I fugure, out-of-the-box it will be at least as good and hopefully better than my old LG 23" TN.

I think you're going to love it. You may even collapse on the floor with tears of joy.... hahhaha maybe not. But close.

You will want to reduce the brightness substantially. If this monitor is like other recent LCD's and you're doing your editing work in a den/home office in the evening with one 60w bulb lighting the room... you'll likely have to reduce the brightness down into the 15% ± 10% area.

--

MickTheBrick
Like?
In reply to MickTheBrick, Feb 21, 2011

O.k. So the monitor just arrived. Unpacking and setting up was easy. I like the fact that it comes with all cables. That is without the HDMI of course - I suppose Monster has a reward out for every manufacturer who includes a HDMI cable ;-).

Just quickly hooked it up. As said before I don't have the time right now to go through the whole calibration hoopla. All I can tell is that I like it a lot at first glance. Color depth is remarkably better - you can tell with bare eyes right out of the box. So regardless of what I will do with calibration, it was a good decision already. Everything looks better even the Windows environment without doing any graphics work.

Mick

upnorth47
Regular MemberPosts: 159
Like?
In reply to MickTheBrick, Feb 22, 2011

Have been waiting to hear how you like the Anus monitor. Glad to hear that you like it. I am in much the same position you were before you purchased the Anus.

I am trying to decide between the Dell U2410 (currently on sale for $449) and the Anus PA246Q, both are supposed to be excellent monitors.

Since it is brand new there is not any customer info out there yet. Did you notice any of the color fringing reported on the U2410 (supposed to be fixed now per Dell). Is the color rgb/srgb accurate?

Now that you have the monitor is there anything else you can tell us? I will be using with LR and CS5 for photography editing.

I can't go see the monitors to decide, will be buying via the internet. How would Newegg handle a return if you decided you didn't like it? I think Dell has a 30 day return. Do they both have a 3yr warranty? No dead pixel return? Would you purchase the U2410 @ $449 or would you purchase the Anus?

mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,084Gear list
Like?
In reply to upnorth47, Feb 22, 2011

upnorth47 wrote:

Have been waiting to hear how you like the Anus monitor. Glad to hear that you like it. I am in much the same position you were before you purchased the Anus.

I am trying to decide between the Dell U2410 (currently on sale for $449) and the Anus PA246Q, both are supposed to be excellent monitors.

Since it is brand new there is not any customer info out there yet. Did you notice any of the color fringing reported on the U2410 (supposed to be fixed now per Dell). Is the color rgb/srgb accurate?

Now that you have the monitor is there anything else you can tell us? I will be using with LR and CS5 for photography editing.

I can't go see the monitors to decide, will be buying via the internet. How would Newegg handle a return if you decided you didn't like it? I think Dell has a 30 day return. Do they both have a 3yr warranty? No dead pixel return? Would you purchase the U2410 @ $449 or would you purchase the Anus?

Anus?

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
upnorth47
Like?
In reply to mosswings, Feb 22, 2011

Asus ProArt PA246Q
sorry for the misspelling...typo
that was bad
still the same question Dell U2410 (@$449)or Asus ProArt PA246Q?

upnorth47
Like?

I apologize for the typo's on the previous post.... bad error. I can't figure out how to remove that post so here is the corrected post, hope I didn't type something else wrong. It should have been the following.

Have been waiting to hear how you like the Asus PA246Q monitor. Glad to hear that you like it. I am in much the same position you were before you purchased the Asus PA246Q.

I am trying to decide between the Dell U2410 (currently on sale for $449) and the Asus PA246Q, both are supposed to be excellent monitors.

I can't go see the monitors to decide, will be buying via the internet. How would Newegg handle a return if you decided you didn't like it? I think Dell has a 30 day return. Do they both have a 3yr warranty? No dead pixel return policy? Would you purchase the U2410 @ $449 or would you purchase the Asus PA246Q monitor again?

NewsyL
Like?
LOL

LOL... that brought out my first good chuckle of the day.

Sounds like your inner child has already decided this monitor could be a bummer.

--

Rossuziers
Forum ProPosts: 12,779Gear list
Like?
FWiW
In reply to NewsyL, Feb 22, 2011

NewsyL wrote:

Also, be aware that with this wide gamut monitor you are going to have to be on top of your color management process - using color managed image viewers, editors, and web browser otherwise certain colors will appear over saturated, particularly reds, greens, and certain skin tones.

• I see this Under the details tab for this monitor @ Newegg:

Features
VESA Wall Mounting: 100x100mm

Kensington lock

Card Reader: SD, MS, MS Pro, MS Duo, xD, MMC,SM

Trace Free Technology

Color Rich Technology

SPLENDID Video Intelligence Technology

• SPLENDID Video Preset Modes: 6 Modes (Adobe RGB Mode\ sRGB Mode \Scenery Mode\Theater Mode\Standard Mode\User Mode)

Color Temperature Selection: 3 Modes

Color Accuracy: ?E? 5

Gamma adjustment: Yes (Support Gamma 2.2/1.8 )

Color Adjustment: 6-axis adjustment(R,G,B,C,M,Y)

Picture-in-Picture

• I wonder how that sRGB preset mode in the Splendid Video Preset Menu would take to calibration, if it is even enabled in other-than Video circumstances, if it can even be calibrated when chosen prior to calibrating? I believe that would be my preference, to avoid the oversaturation issue of AsRGB.. It'll also be interesting to see if anyone covers this in reviews, if\when those start appearing...

-- hide signature --

The Amateur Formerly Known as ' UZ'pShoot'ERS ' 'Happy Shootin'! Comments, Critique, Ridicule, Limericks, Jokes, Hi-jackings, EnthUZIastically, Encouraged... I Insist!

* rrawzz'at'gmail'dot'com * http://www.pbase.com/rrawzz *

Tz5aLx3Fz50Fz30C8080wzE100rsC2100uz

Rossuziers's gear list:Rossuziers's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50
MickTheBrick
Like?
In reply to MickTheBrick, Feb 23, 2011

Like it quit a bit. I believe the biggest difference is the black levels and the purer whites. Also noticable is the nice contrast you get without turning up the brightness. No tiniting as much as i can tell. It is solidly built nothing flimsy about it. Fairly thick (deep) not like the sleek TN displays you can find. Never mind I don't notice when I sit in front of it.

Attach a few "unboxing" pictures here.
No time for more.

NewsyL
Like?
MickTheBrick
Like?
In reply to NewsyL, Feb 23, 2011

Thanks, NewsyL.

Tried that after your first post. If I am supposed to see anything other than gray and white, then I don't have any tint. How subtle is that? Should I easily be able to see it if I had any tint?

Mick

NewsyL
Like?

MickTheBrick wrote:

Thanks, NewsyL.

Tried that after your first post. If I am supposed to see anything other than gray and white, then I don't have any tint. How subtle is that? Should I easily be able to see it if I had any tint?

If it was serious you'd notice a slight green on the left and red/pink on the right. Possibly yellow along the bottom third (like Apple 27" problem).

I've read that the green/red tint may be strongest when the monitor is first turned on and weakens as it warms up and brightens.

I think you've got a keeper.

--

henryimages
Senior MemberPosts: 1,188
Like?
sRGB mode?

I'm curious as to how useful the sRGB mode is , so one can view or edit web photos without the ove rsaturated colours. let us know when you get the chance.
Thanks, brent
--

I take pictures.....from walls, galleries, offices, waiting rooms, dentist offices...and rarely return them!

HENRYIMAGES
My gallery: http://www.pbase.com/henryimages
Pentax Photo Gallery:

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=381741&subSubSection=0&language=EN

MickTheBrick
Like?
Re: sRGB mode?
In reply to henryimages, Feb 24, 2011

Henry!

I have tested the sRGB mode for tints and there is none. I am not sure what exactly you mean with "over saturated" colors. What are you refering to?

Mick

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads