So, what is THE lens for 4/3?

Started Feb 16, 2011 | Discussions
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,660Gear list
Like?
Thanks, Tony
In reply to papillon_65, Feb 17, 2011

I am looking hard at the 12-60 as a general purpose lens - and the 50macro for portrait. Some say it focuses pretty slowly, but does it have a limiter to divide the mange (for faster focusing)? I have gotten a lot of suggestions which have enabled me to go in and investigate further. I can not believe the MTF for the 50mm. That must be some lens!!!!
--
Steve Bingham
http://www.dustylens.com
http://www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D5300 Nikon D610 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 18,844Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks, Tony
In reply to Steve Bingham, Feb 17, 2011

Steve Bingham wrote:

I am looking hard at the 12-60 as a general purpose lens - and the 50macro for portrait. Some say it focuses pretty slowly, but does it have a limiter to divide the mange (for faster focusing)? I have gotten a lot of suggestions which have enabled me to go in and investigate further. I can not believe the MTF for the 50mm. That must be some lens!!!!
--
Steve Bingham
http://www.dustylens.com
http://www.ghost-town-photography.com

No problem Steve, I don't have the 50mm F2 but it is widely regarded as one of the best lenses ever made. I will probably buy one at some stage, as an Oly user it's considered rude not to!
--
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP1 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-T1 +3 more
GHB
GHB
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,312Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steve Bingham, Feb 18, 2011

Steve Bingham wrote:

Unfortunately, no focus limit switch. And I would call AF on the E-PL1 very slow. If not close to begin with, two to three seconds or more is not uncommon for me. Even when it's close to being in focus to begin with, it proceeds to zero in on accurate focus in a time-consuming series of baby steps. AF is also noisy (i.e. loud). Easily heard across a quiet room.

Something else to know -- in case it has been mentioned -- MF is fly-by-wire. It's... different if one has only used manually coupled MF.

-- hide signature --

George

GHB's gear list:GHB's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot G12 Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-P5 +12 more
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,907Gear list
Like?
In reply to GHB, Feb 18, 2011

The sharpest Panasonic lens across the entire lens that was tested by dpreview is the 14-140mm @ 25mm and F4.5.

Here have a look.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcgh1/page17.asp

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +1 more
Bilgy_no1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,880
Like?

Steve Bingham wrote:

--

Steve, wrt the 50mm macro, you might want to wait for the upcoming dedicated m4/3 lens. It will focus much faster and will probably be lighter and smaller as well (if nothing else, you'll save the added bulk of the adapter). Of course, there's no way of knowing the IQ (or even max aperture yet), but if you're

going to use a m4/3 body only (so no Olympus DSLR besides it) it would be preferable to get the native lenses for it.

I have the ZD 35mm f/3.5 macro which is also pretty sharp, but it is a drag to focus it on my E-PL1. So I use it only for the E-520.

The only reasons for using 4/3 lenses are:

• You already have 4/3 DSLR stuff and want to use it across platforms

• The 4/3 lens offers something that's not availble (now or in the foreseeable future) in m4/3. With rumours about the Lumix 12-50mm f/2.5-3.3 and the Olympus M. 50mm macro coming up soon, I'd wait for that.

A lens that does qualify IMO is the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5; a great lens, sharp wide open. Nothing to indicate that it will be refitted for m4/3 sometime soon.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bilgy_no1

David Lawson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,752Gear list
Like?
Rumoured 12-50 panasonic

As an almost retired old pro, 18 months to go, I am awaiting the rumoured 12-50 f2.8-3.5 I think is the rumour.. So maybe a couple of months wait may be worth while.

I remember you from the Nikon forum and was surprised to see you turn up here. Although there seem to be a few of us.

I shot on Olympus professionally for a short time between Canon and Nikon and the lenses were great. The 150 f2 was wonderful but big, and I know your trying to get away from size. The 50 was also very good but I tended to shoot on the 14-54 and 50-200, it was press/pr work. Never had an issue with any of the lenses. A friend had the 300 f2.8 for bird shots and that was also excellent. It's a real shame Olympus slipped up on pro bodies, and most people I knew who tried Olympus, went to Nikon for the higher pixel count. IMHO all they needed to do was put a larger sensor in the E1 and a larger screen on the back. Hey! but what do I know.
david

David Lawson's gear list:David Lawson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
Gregory J McConville
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?
Re: Rumoured 12-50 panasonic
In reply to David Lawson, Feb 18, 2011

To what degree is the AF diminished by an adapter on the PL1 with the Olympus Zuiko 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0?

The reviews on Amazon say this one is a must have for full size 4:3.

In the accompanying video/review, you can see the AF ring adjusting on the lens when mounted on an E300. It looks fast. Has anyone tried it on the PL1? Looking at the video, how does the AF speed compare on your PL1?

greg

Gregory J McConville
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?
12-60 on PL1
In reply to Gregory J McConville, Feb 18, 2011

Sorry for the bother. The following link answers my question with action youtube video examples of the focus ring movement for each. The PL1 is not only slow, but it struggles.

http://wn.com/Olympus_Zuiko_Digital_12-60mm_lens_review

So yes, compared to full size bodies, the match up of 12-60 on PL1 is pretty darned slow. But I shoot static, and am only after Oly's superb IQ, color, etc.

Maybe I should sell my 7D system and L-glass and trade up to Oly E-3.

greg

mausta
Regular MemberPosts: 219
Like?
Re: Micro 4/3, right?
In reply to jeffharris, Feb 19, 2011

For Nikon Glass without manual Aperture Ring (newer Nikon lenses) make sure you get an adapter designed for Nikon G lenses.
These adapters have a ring that allows you to manually adjust the aperture.

With any legacy lenses using adapters on m4/3 you have to shoot in Aperture mode, using the manual focus and aperture on the lens.

It is nice though, takes you back to photography as it was before 1986 when autofocus became available....

Many Four Thirds lenses on Micro Four Thirds via adapter do not have autofocus enabled. see
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/g1.html
http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/index.html

Joele
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,632Gear list
Like?
Olympus 7-14, 12-60, 35-100, 150
In reply to Steve Bingham, Feb 19, 2011

Depends on the focal length you want??

UWA = Olympus 7-14mm f4
Standard = Olympus 12-60mm
Short-mid Tele = Olympus 35-100mm f2
Long Tele = Olympus 150/2

I like the 150/2 the best of the bunch followed by the 7-14mm, but depends on what you shoot and like?

That's just my experience on the lenses I have used or owned...

-- hide signature --

Joel - Pana G2, 14-45, 20/1.7, 45-200, K-A 50/1.2, CV 75/2.5, Oly 9-18, 150/2
My Gallery: http://www.eisner.id.au

Joele's gear list:Joele's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +3 more
KenBalbari
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
Re: So, what is THE lens for 4/3?
In reply to Steve Bingham, Feb 19, 2011

For standard 4/3, the Olympus Zuiko high grade and pro grade offerings were all really good, and the high grade lineup was excellent value. The problem is they haven't really released high grade lenses yet for micro 4/3.

For the micro lineup, the emphasis has been much more heavily on making everything small and lightweight. Olympus has done some pretty innovative things in that direction, including releasing a 14-150 that weighs only 10.2 oz (63% as much as the Panasonic 14-140), an affordable 40-150 which weighs only 6.7 oz (50% as much as the Panasonic 45-200), and a 9-18 which weighs only 5.5 oz. These lenses are all pretty nice optically as well, but they won't win any awards based on MTF charts alone. They are mostly very good consumer grade lenses optically.

You can of course try the higher grade 4/3 lenses with an adapter, but expect poor autofocus (the mirrorless cameras must use a completely different focus system, which requires compatible lenses), noise when shooting video (unless you manually focus), and a lens size that isn't really that well suited to the smaller cameras.

Olympus does seem poised to release some higher grade optics for the micro-four-thirds lineup beginning this year, and Panasonic has some on the roadmap as well, so there should be some more intriguing options available soon.

KenBalbari's gear list:KenBalbari's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-330
seho
Contributing MemberPosts: 905
Like?
Re: I see a 35-100 f2
In reply to Chez Wimpy, Feb 19, 2011

Chez Wimpy wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

Price is reasonable at $2,500 for a 70-200 effective f2. Wow.

"Effective" 70-200 f4...

Sorry, not f4 "effective" unless you ignore exposure and only care about depth of field.

Which isn't at all what most people are thinking about when they consider a given lens's f-stop.

Check back when you find that Canon 70-200/f2.0 lens. Let us know its price and weight while you're at it.

lowimpact
Regular MemberPosts: 155Gear list
Like?
In reply to seho, Feb 20, 2011

I'd say f2 on m43 is f4 "effective" for depth of field AND light sensitivity. I'm a m43 user who moved from Canon and am very happy with the format, but there's no arguing that ISO400 on m43 is equivalent to around ISO1600 on a Full Frame DSLR with a 4x larger sensor...

Honestly if you're intent on ignoring the primary benefit of m43 (small size), are madly in love with slow adapter translated AF, and are seriously considering spending 2k+ on a 14-35 or 35-100 f2 just buy into another system. The 14-35 and 35-100 f2 only make sense for (1) pros invested in the (non-micro) 43 olympus system who have no other choice and (2) AF100 camcorder owners.

The best lenses for m43 are the ones that actually benefit from the m43 system:

(1) 20mm f1.7 - small, fast, sharp (at f2.8) - this is your bread & butter m43 lens
(2) 14-45mm - small, sharp, solid IS, decent range, best kit lens in town

(3) 14mm f2.5 - if pocketability is #1, slower than 20 and only around 16mm after m43 corrections
(4) 40-150mm m.zuiko - tiny, half the weight of the panny 45-200

not the sharpest, but all the native m43 telezooms are consumer grade lenses

(5) 100-300mm - $$$ for a consumer telezoom and heavy, 300mm on m43 is crazy long

Just buy the 20mm f1.7 - nothing else really comes close. Hopefully the rumored 12mm olympus pancake is released soon to complement it.

seho wrote:

Chez Wimpy wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

Price is reasonable at $2,500 for a 70-200 effective f2. Wow.

"Effective" 70-200 f4...

Sorry, not f4 "effective" unless you ignore exposure and only care about depth of field.

Which isn't at all what most people are thinking about when they consider a given lens's f-stop.

lowimpact's gear list:lowimpact's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
lowimpact
Regular MemberPosts: 155Gear list
Like?
In reply to lowimpact, Feb 20, 2011

Add the 7-14mm f4 to my "best" lenses list. I'd say it's an easy 2nd after the 20mm f1.7 in terms of really leveraging the power of m43. The 7-14mm is significantly smaller / lighter than comparable ultrawide zooms for any other format, performs extremely well, and gives you a lot of bangs for your bucks.

I've rented the 9-18mm m.zuiko and it really isn't in the same ballpark. It's a significantly less professional lens (lower sharpness, cheaper build, etc.) and that extra 2mm you lose on the wide end is huge.

lowimpact's gear list:lowimpact's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
steveTQP
Regular MemberPosts: 147Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steve Bingham, Dec 26, 2012

Season's Greetings!

I'm actually researching that same question for Micro 4/3, but  I think the Olympus Zuiko 50mm f/2 would be one of the best options! Frankly, I understand that the Olympus Zuiko lenses are simply superb!

As for m4/3, I'm considering the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8, and the Oly 60mm f/2.8, as the sharpest lenses made for that format. Good luck!

-- hide signature --

Steve Solomon steve@totalqualityphoto.com

steveTQP's gear list:steveTQP's gear list
Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Jonas B
Forum ProPosts: 14,596
Like?
In reply to steveTQP, Dec 26, 2012

steveTQP wrote:

Season's Greetings!

I'm actually researching that same question for Micro 4/3, but I think the Olympus Zuiko 50mm f/2 would be one of the best options! Frankly, I understand that the Olympus Zuiko lenses are simply superb!

As for m4/3, I'm considering the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8, and the Oly 60mm f/2.8, as the sharpest lenses made for that format. Good luck!

Hi Steve,

I'm sure the OP has waited since February 2011 for that...

A question; what do you mean, exactly, with "consider"? Is that based on something else but resolution tests (in which case I think the 75/1.8 would "win, also over the 4/3 50/2 Macro)?

/Jonas

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,990Gear list
Like?

Difficult question:

If you're talking about 4/3 lens, you need Olympus SLR forum

If you're talking about M4/3 lenses and you prefer ZOOM, I'd say that today the very best is Pana 12-35/2.8

So, everything depends on what are you looking for...

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Eric Perez
Regular MemberPosts: 110
Like?

I'm still amazed at the reach of the GH2 with ETC. I am buying one just for the video and the 100-300 will be an amazing tool, 1560mm equiv !! wow. Even the standard is 600mm equiv, which is what I will be using for lowlight video of course, but wow what a reach for such good IQ video. I am already dreaming about my moon clips and candid street video. I love my K5 but this thing is going to be crazy good lol

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,125Gear list
Like?
4/3 or m43?

Since this is the Micro 4/3 forum, after all

Possibly the sharpest lenses in m43 are the 60 macro and 75mm 1.8.

For zooms the Panny 12-35/35-100 pair might be it.

In standard 4/3, any of the SHG lenses, w the 14-35, 35-100, 50mm macro (HG) and 150mm at the top

I'd vote for the 12-60 as my favorite 4/3 lens, but it's not at it's best AF wise on a micro body.

Current top of the line bodies are the E-5 in 4/3 and E-M5 in micro (yes, there's probably a Panny body that rivals the E-M5, but I don't follow the Gs sufficiently to comment on them)

You'll best decide which path you're taking (micro vs. std. body) as many of the 4/3 lenses are slow to focus on m43 bodies, and you can't use a micro lens on a standard body... But if you prefer excellent zooms, go w 4/3, and if you prefer an assortment of primes, look to m43

........Dang! just noticed this thread dates back to Feb 2011!

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads