Epl-2 and lightroom

Started Feb 15, 2011 | Discussions
Thaddius Danton
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
Epl-2 and lightroom
Feb 15, 2011

Anyone have idea when the ePl2 will be supported?

Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,967Gear list
Like?
Re: Epl-2 and lightroom
In reply to Thaddius Danton, Feb 15, 2011

Thaddius Danton wrote:

Every new model elicits this question and the answer never changes. There is no time frame.

The last Adobe Camera RAW update was December 7. One camera included in that update, the Olympus E5, was available for sale in October, so it took 2 months for Adobe to add the E5. Same with the Pentax K5 and Canon Powershop G12 to mention two others, so I would not be suprised at all if it was 1-2 months.

Anyone who has to be the first, or among the first to own any new camera, likes to use RAW capture and use Adobe Camera RAW will always have to wait for Adobe to catch up. Depending on the timeing of the release vs. when ACR was last updated, the wait could be longer or shorter.

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rkelac
Regular MemberPosts: 466Gear list
Like?
Re: Epl-2 and lightroom
In reply to Gregm61, Feb 15, 2011

I use LightRoom now with a E-PL2. All I do is change the model of the camera to E-PL1 in the RAW file and it will import the RAW files fine. Google for ExifToolGUI. There is even a LightRoom plugin to automate changing the name in the import process.

Rkelac's gear list:Rkelac's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8
Bilgy_no1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,880
Like?
Also for ACR 5.x???
In reply to Thaddius Danton, Feb 15, 2011

I have the CS4 version that uses the ACR5.7 version with E-PL1 compatibility. Does anyone know if this version will also be updated to accommodate the new cameras?

Thaddius Danton wrote:

Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,967Gear list
Like?
Re: Also for ACR 5.x???
In reply to Bilgy_no1, Feb 16, 2011

Bilgy_no1 wrote:

I have the CS4 version that uses the ACR5.7 version with E-PL1 compatibility. Does anyone know if this version will also be updated to accommodate the new cameras?

Adobe never updates ACR in older versions of Photoshop once a new version is out there. If you want to use Adobe Camera RAW with any newer camera, you have only two choices...

1. Upgrade to CS5. The version of ACR in CS4 will never be updated beyond the last version available prior to when CS5 was introduced, so the native RAW files of new cameras will never be able to be processed in ACR versions of CS4.

2. Download the free DNG converter once Adobe updates it to be able to convert a new cameras RAW files to the DNG format. For instance, if you bought an E-PL2, you'd have to convert all the RAW (ORF) files to Adobe's DNG format. Once you've done that, you'll be able to process the files in CS4. Of course, ACR in CS4 will never have the new toys the current versions of ACR have, like the great noise filters,

As a prior poster noted, you can always "trick" ACR into thinking that E-PL2 file is a file from the E-PL1, but once Adobe has written a standard, dedicated RAW code for the E-PL2, it will be a better process than doing that.

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Bilgy_no1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,880
Like?
In reply to Gregm61, Feb 16, 2011

Gregm61 wrote:

Bilgy_no1 wrote:

Adobe never updates ACR in older versions of Photoshop once a new version is out there. If you want to use Adobe Camera RAW with any newer camera, you have only two choices...

My CS4 suite came with ACR5.6, which was updated last year to 5.7 and included compatibility with E-PL1 (and others). Hence my question if there would be a 5.8.

1. Upgrade to CS5. The version of ACR in CS4 will never be updated beyond the last version available prior to when CS5 was introduced, so the native RAW files of new cameras will never be able to be processed in ACR versions of CS4.

So I guess I'll have to get the CS5 then. Fortunately I'm in a position where I can get the set (PS plus a whole bunch of other Adobe stuff) real cheap (€28) due to university ties in the Netherlands. It's just a fuss to order and install all that, when I think the current iteration is already sufficient (mildly put) for my use.

[edit] that's if I decide to get the E-PL2 as an update from E-PL1

2. Download the free DNG converter once Adobe updates it to be able to convert a new cameras RAW files to the DNG format. For instance, if you bought an E-PL2, you'd have to convert all the RAW (ORF) files to Adobe's DNG format. Once you've done that, you'll be able to process the files in CS4. Of course, ACR in CS4 will never have the new toys the current versions of ACR have, like the great noise filters,

That's just way too much trouble IMO for a permanent solution...

As a prior poster noted, you can always "trick" ACR into thinking that E-PL2 file is a file from the E-PL1, but once Adobe has written a standard, dedicated RAW code for the E-PL2, it will be a better process than doing that.

Thanks for the response.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bilgy_no1

Thaddius Danton
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
In reply to Bilgy_no1, Feb 18, 2011

Where I can I download the beta referred to in the DP review of the EPL-2? Adobe Camera RAW 6.4 Beta

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads