E-5 autofocus tweak

Started Feb 10, 2011 | Discussions
LeeS
Regular MemberPosts: 399Gear list
Like?
E-5 autofocus tweak
Feb 10, 2011

I have been well pleased with my new E-5. For me the 4/3 format hits the sweet spot in balancing image quality, size of overall kit, depth of field control and IBIS.

I love my E-P1 and 2 for travel and hiking but for other uses a true DSLR is simply better: e.g. action shots and longer lenses. My transition to the E-5 has been smoothed by the interface similarity to the E-P series.

We all fine tune the settings to our preferences and I am posting to share a tweak that I learned from Brian Moseley over on the m43 forum when he was a dynamic poster there. It has worked well with my Pens and I find it helpful with the E-5 too.

The AEL/AFL button can be programmed for each of the three focusing modes. In menu item cogB/ AEL/AFL MF change the setting to mode 3. This allows one to access the quick and accurate auto focus at a time and point of one’s choosing by a simple press of the AEL/AFL button without it occurring with every press of the shutter release. I also set the FN button to MF mode which allows one to toggle back and forth quickly between S-AF and MF. I find the MF+AFL tweak very helpful in a variety of zone focus situations where one does not want the camera to try to autofocus with every exposure but true manual focus is not convenient or accurate. This works well in both OVF and live view modes.
Try it. You might like it.

Lee

LeeS's gear list:LeeS's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2
jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,043
Like?
Re: E-5 autofocus tweak
In reply to LeeS, Feb 10, 2011

Sounds good. I kind of like using that button for spot metering, but I suppose I could use a different one.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mrhodges2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,021
Like?

Thanks. You have just been bookmarked.

Robert

LeeS
Like?
In reply to jkrumm, Feb 10, 2011

Thanks.
I use spot metering less frequently so I do not miss having it on that button.
Lee

LeeS
Like?
In reply to mrhodges2, Feb 10, 2011

Thanks for your kind words.

I have learned so much from these forums and would like to do my part to see them get back to helping each other get the most from our equipment.
Lee

Kim Walker
Regular MemberPosts: 470
Like?
decisive moment?

I was wondering how well this would work on Pens. Thanks for the info! It's a method that I use often with my 620. When I bought the 620 I was torn between getting a Pen or the 620 for travel.

The other use for a compact camera and zone focusing that I like is in social situations. That's where I just want the decisive moment. I'll use wide angle, f8, sometimes an off-camera flash triggered wirelessly, and zone focus the camera. It's not the most accurate but it gets me great expressions.

So, just so that it's clear to me do the Pens respond instantly in manual focus?

Thanks, Kim

LeeS
Like?
Re: decisive moment?
In reply to Kim Walker, Feb 10, 2011

Yes, it makes a bigger difference with the Pens in reducing shutter lag. Although their AF speed is much improved with the updates and newer lenses (14-150 and 9-18 are now as fast as the pancake primes and quieter), their CDAF is still not as quick as a DSLR in PDAF mode. And especially when using 43 lenses plus adapter the decrease in shutter lag is substantial in MF mode.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads