Started Feb 9, 2011 | Discussions
cubie
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
DIY a LEGO IR Remote Controller for Sony NEX-5
Feb 9, 2011

Hi,

I made an IR remote controller for NEX-5. Here is the picture:

It’s actually a ‘sound wave to infrared signal converter’. Before use it to control the NEX-5, you’ll have to ‘record’ the IR signal into sound wave. For more information of such device, please check this blog: ‘World’s cheapest remote control replicator: just 1$ !’ by jumpjack ( http://jumpjack.wordpress.com/2008/05/20/worlds-cheapest-remote-control-replicator-just-1/ ).

I’ve already record the shutter release and 2 sec. delay shutter release signal in WAV, AIFF and MP3 format (here is the zip compressed file: http://swf.com.tw/files/Sony_NEX_Shutter_Controller.zip ). You can playback the sound file from any MP3 player, iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android phone, PSP,… to control your NEX-5.

Here is how the sound file looks like on the HTC Desire android phone:

Of course, this ‘controller’ can be used to control almost any IR device, as long as you have the proper IR signal in sound wave format.

The schematic is pretty simple, you only need two IR LEDs ( I got those from old remote controllers), and one stereo audio plug or jack:

By the way, there’s a problem of the IR port. If someone nearby is using a remote controller, your device might also react to the controller. That’s not good. Therefor, I think it’s better to cover the IR port when using it.

Fortunately, the IR port on NEX-5 is just about the height of one LEGO brick:

We can put the IR LEDs blow one brick, that’s the exact location of the IR sensor, and cover it.

Here are the parts I use:

Solder the IR LEDs to audio jack:

The other side:

Put them into one brick and stuff a small piece of eraser into the empty space behind the audio jack.

Finally, connect a stereo cable to the LEGO IR controller and MP3 player.

Have fun

I tried to connect the IR controller with a stereo Bluetooth headset to control NEX-5 wirelessly; however, it doesn’t work

The ping pong ball diffuser is a replica of the idea from virodri, works great! Check this: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&thread=36996805

Peteris Usins
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
Re: DIY a LEGO IR Remote Controller for Sony NEX-5
In reply to cubie, Feb 9, 2011

ha ha ha

please make lego steadicam too

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,203Gear list
Like?
Re: DIY a LEGO IR Remote Controller for Sony NEX-5

You are a genius!

RussellInCincinnati
Senior MemberPosts: 3,197
Like?
next: a Lego distortion corrector for the 18-55 kit zoom

Keep 'em coming.

Indeed it does not speak well of Sony, that it took an enterprising user to finally come up with a reliable cable release for the expensive camera.

string cheese
Senior MemberPosts: 1,795
Like?
Another great idea and a good laugh,thanks (nt)
-- hide signature --

de7geitjes
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
Re: Another great idea and a good laugh,thanks (nt)
In reply to string cheese, Feb 9, 2011

This is why i love this forum. Great laugh and informative as well. Have you guys also noticed what he did with his flash? I'm gonna try that as well.

de7geitjes
Like?
In reply to de7geitjes, Feb 9, 2011

OMG i just saw what he did with his LEGO and EVF LOL. Where can i order one :)?

Molly47
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
In reply to de7geitjes, Feb 9, 2011

You are fantastic Cubie ! I loved the viewfinder & this is equally brilliant, If you start taking orders can I be first in the queue

de7geitjes
Like?
In reply to Molly47, Feb 9, 2011

BTW i can really appreciate the humor for translating your guide in chinese and japanese. As far as i can read chinese and japanese it's a correct translation LOL. Very funny.

GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,219Gear list
Like?
Re: next: a Lego distortion corrector for the 18-55 kit zoom
In reply to RussellInCincinnati, Feb 10, 2011

RussellInCincinnati wrote:

Keep 'em coming.

Indeed it does not speak well of Sony, that it took an enterprising user to finally come up with a reliable cable release for the expensive camera.

What do you mean? There were always the Sony knock-offs from eBay for about $10. Or the official Sony remote that is more.

Similarly, Sony does have a very expensive OVF. And a third party makes a shoe-adapter in case you want to put on some other OVF (which will still be expensive).

That doesn't take away from the coolness of the DIY projects. Good job!

I'd be tempted to do the OVF project myself. No way am I paying Sony $200 for a plain, fixed OVF. At that price, it should zoom and have a data overlay. And include a pet unicorn.
--
Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
cubie
Like?
In reply to de7geitjes, Feb 10, 2011

de7geitjes wrote:

This is why i love this forum.

Yeah, it's interesting to share the ideas among NEX users around world here

RussellInCincinnati
Like?
have you TRIED an infrared remote? Waste of postage.
In reply to GaryW, Feb 10, 2011

That's what's so great about the Cubie cable release. Had no idea that the infrared remote would be so useless. Duh, you have to POINT a remote at your VCR to make it work. Remote releases need to be RADIO, not infrared. Have you ever tried to make an infrared remote work on the Nex? What are the odds that it's going to be convenient, to work the remote around to where it's pointing at the front of the camera?

If we hurray Cubie enough, he'll come up with a Lego bluetooth solution, and then every tripod user will rush to get one.

Come on, Cubie, why can't the Lego coporation give us a way to send text messages to our Nex?
@NEX:F08.0 00025.0msec ISO 800 WHITEBAL!
then
@NEX:F08.0 00025.0msec ISO 800 GO!

cubie
Like?
Re: have you TRIED an infrared remote? Waste of postage.

Come on, Cubie, why can't the Lego coporation give us a way to send text messages to our Nex?

The output of the Bluetooth handset is too weak to drive those IR LEDs, maybe that's why it's not functioning -- if the signal is not distorted by Bluetooth.

I've tried to hack my old portable stereo as a pre-amp to boost the sound signal:

However, there's too much noise from the stereo. It's not working with wired stereo cable or wireless Bluetooth audio

Thanks,
jeffrey

RussellInCincinnati
Like?
am sure you will come up with a simpler amplifier
In reply to cubie, Feb 10, 2011

...for Bluetooth device output that will drive your cool infrared LED cable release.

cubie
Like?
Re: am sure you will come up with a simpler amplifier

...for Bluetooth device output that will drive your cool infrared LED cable release.

Yeah, the stereo is just a prototype for experiment, the preamp chip is very tiny

Thanks,
jeffrey

thewalrusking
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to cubie, Feb 12, 2011

If your a Pentax owner this guy made one a few weeks ago. I made it with his plans and it does work.

thewalrusking
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to thewalrusking, Feb 12, 2011

ww.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/131633-absurdly-simple-diy-k-x-remote-timer-using-mp3-player.html

Add a w to the front of the URL, it wont let me post it. I am not the guy just thought id give a headsup

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads