1100D looks very very good.....

Started Feb 8, 2011 | Discussions
ultimitsu
Senior MemberPosts: 5,422
Like?
1100D looks very very good.....
Feb 8, 2011

from the gallary pictures in DPR's preview, I dont think 1100D uses the same sensor as 450D, it is much cleaner at high iso. besides 450D had stopped production for some time now.

if it uses the same kind of technology that is in the current 18 mp sensor, then this 12mp sensor is an instant winner.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3202320681/download/892961

having the SD card in the same slot as the battery and the 5 year old LCD screen are the only drawbacks I can see right now. neither are real deal breakers.

cheddargav
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,489Gear list
Like?
Re: 1100D looks very very good.....
In reply to ultimitsu, Feb 8, 2011

Feature wise I think it looks good. I've been looking for a small camera to take out on family days and this (or the 600D) could be it.

I'd like to try it first tho as that body does look very plasticky....

ultimitsu wrote:

from the gallary pictures in DPR's preview, I dont think 1100D uses the same sensor as 450D, it is much cleaner at high iso. besides 450D had stopped production for some time now.

if it uses the same kind of technology that is in the current 18 mp sensor, then this 12mp sensor is an instant winner.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3202320681/download/892961

having the SD card in the same slot as the battery and the 5 year old LCD screen are the only drawbacks I can see right now. neither are real deal breakers.

cheddargav's gear list:cheddargav's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Seshadri C
Regular MemberPosts: 110
Like?

I agree. After such a long time I think this upgrade is well deserved.

• 12 MP (seems to be newer generation sensor)

• Digic 4

• 9 Focus points

• ISO 6400

• Better (bigger) hand grip

• Better (bigger) viewfinder

• Video recording / improved live view

All in all a better upgrade over 1000D, unlike 600D upgrade over 550D. I'm particularly interested in sensor, focus points, and hand grip. Although the plasticy looks better be tested out in person.

Rick880
Regular MemberPosts: 477
Like?

ultimitsu wrote:

It would be wonderful if the 18mp sensor technology is used to produce thie 12mp sensor in 1100D. This alone is enough for me to "upgrade" XSi.
--
Rick

Rakumi
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,151
Like?
I believe this will be a hit...

Because its price will be quite low. I think just $500. Another flaw though is the absence of the eye sensor.
--

Darkness is the monster and your shutter is your sword, aperture your shield and iso your armor. Strike fast with your sword and defend well with your shield and hope your armor holds up.

Rakumi
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,151
Like?
In reply to Seshadri C, Feb 8, 2011

I agree exactly with that point. Better upgrade over the 1000D but 600D to the 550D does not look as impressive.
--

Darkness is the monster and your shutter is your sword, aperture your shield and iso your armor. Strike fast with your sword and defend well with your shield and hope your armor holds up.

windmillgolfer
Senior MemberPosts: 8,562Gear list
Like?
Re: 1100D looks very very good.....depends on the street price

If your assumptions are correct, the IQ could be outstanding. After that, it will all be down to the price. The differential has to be large compared to 500D/550D/600D.

I just 'upgraded' from 30D to 500D because the offer price, with cashback, was too good to resist. I thought at the time that Canon must be trying to clear the decks. The 1100D and 600D product announcements seem to confim that theory. However, I'm very happy with the 500D, because I bought it for stills. Video is covered by Panasonic Lumix TZ7 and LX5.

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
sjwolfhope
Regular MemberPosts: 435
Like?
Re: 1100D looks very very good.....depends on the street price
In reply to windmillgolfer, Feb 8, 2011

windmillgolfer wrote:

I just 'upgraded' from 30D to 500D because the offer price, with cashback, was too good to resist. I thought at the time that Canon must be trying to clear the decks. The 1100D and 600D product announcements seem to confim that theory. However, I'm very happy with the 500D, because I bought it for stills. Video is covered by Panasonic Lumix TZ7 and LX5.

I, also, just purchased the 500D, and am happy with the decision. The 500D (T1i) seems to have some features over the 1100D that I would be unhappy with if I didn't have. The larger 3" higher resolution LCD is one. Another is the ability to have 9 RAW images in burst mode rather than only 2 as the new 1100D. I want to have burst mode to do AEB with RAW for HDR. The image quality will probably be about equal. Even if the 1100D price is lower, I don't think it will beat the two kit lens pricing I got in early January.

Steve W.

Edit: Went back over the specs and see that RAW is actually 5 not 2 images as I said above. Misread the 2 fps. So that would be a non-issue for me.

z9z9z9z9
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?
In reply to cheddargav, Feb 8, 2011

I'm not sure, but I think the body might be more "rubbery" than "plasticy." It's missing the fake leather grain of the 600D, so it's hard to tell.

Steven Alan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390
Like?
Size...
In reply to cheddargav, Feb 8, 2011

It looks like a great cam, with good image quality, however, I wish they wouldn't keep making each new generation bigger.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,597
Like?
Re: I believe this will be a hit...
In reply to Rakumi, Feb 8, 2011

Rakumi wrote:

Because its price will be quite low. I think just $500.

They do not list a U.S. body only price. I remember the XS not being sold body-only because it is intended as an entry level camera for someone without any SLR experience or lenses. It that's the case price is $600 not $500.

tom sugnet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,341Gear list
Like?
Re: I believe this will be a hit...
In reply to RedFox88, Feb 8, 2011

I can sense the yucky feel, wouldn't want to touch it.
600d is much better.
--
Feel free to visit my photo sites:
http://tom.st , http://www.foto.tom.st

tom sugnet's gear list:tom sugnet's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Samsung NX1000 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye
tje1964
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?

From the T3 (not the T3i) specs listed on the Canon USA web site:

Low Pass Filter
Fixed position in front of the CMOS sensor

Fluorine coating on the top surface.

Dust Deletion Feature
(1) Manual cleaning

(2) Dust Delete Data acquisition and appending

The coordinates of the dust adhering to the low-pass filter are detected by a test shot and appended to subsequent images.

The dust coordinate data appended to the image is used by the provided software to automatically erase the dust spots.
Self Cleaning Sensor Unit not included.

It looks to me like the Low Pass Filter is there, but not the vibration.

Nobody is talking about this omission, and I find it very curious that Canon would introduce the only DSLR without a self cleaning sensor since sometime around 2007.

tje1964's gear list:tje1964's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 +2 more
Salchert Photo
Regular MemberPosts: 253
Like?
Interesting (nt)
In reply to tje1964, Feb 9, 2011

Interesting (nt)

Agent Fox Mulder
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?
In reply to ultimitsu, Feb 9, 2011

1100D gains some new features, and a few of the 1000Ds removed.

Built in sensor cleaning
DOF preview button- now its a custom func
No battery grip
Not made in Japan
Card slot moved to where the battery is.

5 steps forward, 10 steps back. 1100D stinks. 500D been on sale since christmas. May have to buy now, tell wife later.

Paul

Agent Fox Mulder's gear list:Agent Fox Mulder's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot A2300 Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +3 more
AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,174Gear list
Like?
Thats an excellent sensor

the 450D's sensor was excellent, IMO always better than the D300/90/5000 sensor (I've owned the D90 and 450Ds) the problem was that it never ended up in a camera which could focus properly (all the 450Ds I used or owned would front focus at the drop of a hat unpredictably and needed to be focussed in live view), the 50D got the noisy, weak DR 15Mp sensor and not the superb 12Mp one sadly so that 12Mp unit was wasted in a rubbish body

Hopefully the 550D's accurate AF has rubbed off on the 1100D and that finally the 12Mp sensor has ended up in a camera which doesn't need to be run in slow CD-AF live view to focus properly ..

the 550D/600D/60D PLUS a 1100D would make quite a good budget pair - rather like having both models of 5D .. I love the format of the XXXD cams as light compact backup bodies (who wants to lug two 1 series cams) but the 550D was the first to have what I call dependable centre point AF, the 1100D offers that in a cheaper less functional package with less card clogging resolution (12Mp is usually enough)

-- hide signature --

A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm X-S1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
ultimitsu
Senior MemberPosts: 5,422
Like?
In reply to Agent Fox Mulder, Feb 9, 2011

Agent Fox Mulder wrote:

Built in sensor cleaning
No battery grip
Not made in Japan

5 steps forward, 10 steps back. 1100D stinks. 500D been on sale since christmas. May have to buy now, tell wife later.

Paul

sensor cleaning removal is speculation right now, until there is concrete proof..

DOF preview had only one use, that is set aperture to non-default value then remove lens and to use it on something else with that aperture. since the stock OVF always shown incorrect DOF i consider DOF preview useless as DOF preview.

who bought 1000D's battery grip? please show yourself, I owned the 1000D for one and half year, never had the battery run out on me, not even half way. fact is 99% 1000D owners does not use battery grip, the day that they become a battery grip user is a day long after they moved on to xxxD or xxD user.

not made in japan is a problem because?? nikon camera have been made in thailand for years and no one complains.

card slot position is a real draw back, though cant be said to be a step back in the same league as the step forward of the AF improvement and the sensor improvement.

aVolanche
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,472Gear list
Like?

ultimitsu wrote:

Agent Fox Mulder wrote:

Built in sensor cleaning
No battery grip
Not made in Japan

Paul

sensor cleaning removal is speculation right now, until there is concrete proof..

DOF preview had only one use, that is set aperture to non-default value then remove lens and to use it on something else with that aperture. since the stock OVF always shown incorrect DOF i consider DOF preview useless as DOF preview.

who bought 1000D's battery grip? please show yourself, I owned the 1000D for one and half year, never had the battery run out on me, not even half way. fact is 99%

FACT is 99%?Where did you get this? Care to provide a link?

1000D owners does not use battery grip, the day that they become a battery grip user is a day long after they moved on to xxxD or xxD user.

Most buyers of a battery grip for any Rebel purchase it to make the grip larger and improve the feel and handling. I just looked at several long threads on POTN about this.There are many threads on this site with the same conclusion.

not made in japan is a problem because?? nikon camera have been made in thailand for years and no one complains.

card slot position is a real draw back, though cant be said to be a step back in the same league as the step forward of the AF improvement and the sensor improvement.

Fred

tom sugnet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,341Gear list
Like?
Re: Thats an excellent sensor
In reply to AdamT, Feb 9, 2011

Imaging resource rate 50d dynamic range higher then 60d!!!

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E60D/E60DIMATEST.HTM

AdamT wrote:
the 50D got the noisy, weak DR 15Mp sensor

-- hide signature --

Feel free to visit my photo sites:
http://tom.st , http://www.foto.tom.st

tom sugnet's gear list:tom sugnet's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Samsung NX1000 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye
AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,174Gear list
Like?
Re: Thats an excellent sensor
In reply to tom sugnet, Feb 9, 2011

Imaging resource rate 50d dynamic range higher then 60d!!!

I've owned the 50D as well as the 40, 450, 550 and in the real world the 50D was by far the worst for highlight recovery and noisy shadows (RAW obviously) . I didn't even bother trying the 500D because of my experience with the 50D sensor ..

-- hide signature --

A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm X-S1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads