100 colour photos from 100 years ago

Started Jan 22, 2011 | Discussions
johnparas11zenfoliodotcom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,203Gear list
Like?
Re: 100 colour photos from 100 years ago
In reply to johnt49, Jan 26, 2011

it is amazing to see people of the old days.. they look like the present

or at least there is that sense of real time.. unlike when the pics are in black and white

 johnparas11zenfoliodotcom's gear list:johnparas11zenfoliodotcom's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D90 Nikon D300S Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-P3 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
Re: 100 colour photos from 100 years ago
In reply to johnparas11zenfoliodotcom, Jan 26, 2011

A very worthy project.

One of the true values of photography is to be able to see bygone moments in time and this delivers very well indeed.

Good stuff!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Piecart
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
Re: 100 colour photos from 100 years ago
In reply to Mark Smith, Jan 26, 2011

Mark Smith wrote:

Here is one of mine on Neopan B&W film

Very nice, Mark.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alex_virt
Contributing MemberPosts: 574
Like?
Re: 100 colour photos from 100 years ago
In reply to Mark Smith, Jan 27, 2011

Mark Smith wrote:

And have made many Trichromes similar in process to the OP over the years:
http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/2007_12_02_archive.html

Here is one of mine on Neopan B&W film

Good photos, Mark, especially the boat. Thanks for sharing! Your blog is very interesting, I am reading it...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,956Gear list
Like?
Re: 100 colour photos from 100 years ago
In reply to alex_virt, Jan 27, 2011

Excellent and very commendable work...

It is a true service to photography that this amazing, human-connected works can see the light of our days through your effort and dedication.

Thank you for showing us these!

All the best.

PK
--
“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
************************************************************
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alex_virt
Contributing MemberPosts: 574
Like?
Re: 100 colour photos from 100 years ago
In reply to Barry Fitzgerald, Jan 27, 2011

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

A very worthy project.

One of the true values of photography is to be able to see bygone moments in time and this delivers very well indeed.

Good stuff!

Thanks, Barry! I wish P-G shot more portraits and everyday life scenes, rather than remote landscapes, churches and factories. But his goal was to show Russia to people of St. Petersburg and Moscow, not the other way around. Still this collection of 2000 colour negatives at the Library of Congress is about 1/3 of what he shot and there is a slight possibility some more can be recovered...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
steelski
Senior MemberPosts: 2,525Gear list
Like?
Re: 100 colour photos from 100 years ago
In reply to alex_virt, Jan 27, 2011

The best thing about these images is the lack of concrete. Its a very different russia than the one I am used to seeing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alex_virt
Contributing MemberPosts: 574
Like?
Re: 100 colour photos from 100 years ago
In reply to steelski, Jan 27, 2011

steelski wrote:

The best thing about these images is the lack of concrete. Its a very different russia than the one I am used to seeing.

I saw some modern pictures of the same places that look disturbingly similar to PG's photos. Everything is the same but dilapidated and shabby. It shows how little the communists cared about Russia, just pumped out its resources to develop other national republics and support any 3rd world countries that would claim their "Socialist orientation".

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tal Ninio
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
Re: 100 colour photos from 100 years ago
In reply to alex_virt, Jan 27, 2011

WoW !
--
Tal Ninio
tal@pskiss.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark Smith
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,642Gear list
Like?
Re: 100 colour photos from 100 years ago
In reply to alex_virt, Jan 28, 2011

alex_virt wrote:

Mark Smith wrote:

And have made many Trichromes similar in process to the OP over the years:
http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/2007_12_02_archive.html

Here is one of mine on Neopan B&W film

Good photos, Mark, especially the boat. Thanks for sharing! Your blog is very interesting, I am reading it...

Thanks Alex, have you seen Henri Gauds Trichrome site?
http://trichromie.free.fr/trichromie/
Worth a look.
Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alex_virt
Contributing MemberPosts: 574
Like?
Re: 100 colour photos from 100 years ago
In reply to Mark Smith, Jan 28, 2011

Mark Smith wrote:

Thanks Alex, have you seen Henri Gauds Trichrome site?

Yes, very strange choice of subjects

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alex_virt
Contributing MemberPosts: 574
Like?
Chaban (shepherd) with fat-tail sheep.
In reply to alex_virt, Jan 28, 2011

The title of this image on the LOC website sounds unintentionally funny: “Fat Sheep. Golodnaya Steppe”. Literally: “Fat sheep. Famine Steppe”.

Hardly an artistic picture and not very interesting. Why did I restore it? I was born there and sometimes feel sort of nostalgia. It feels good to feel nostalgia for Central Asia being in Canada A modern shepherd over there looks pretty much the same, except under his sheepskin coat he now has a blue track suit “Abibas”.

http://www.gridenko.com/pg

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SimSmith
Regular MemberPosts: 268
Like?
Re: 100 colour photos from 100 years ago
In reply to alex_virt, Jan 28, 2011

Fantastic work.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alex_virt
Contributing MemberPosts: 574
Like?
Electric Church
In reply to alex_virt, Jan 29, 2011

The latest addition: The Mother of God Church. Smolensk, 1912

Entrance to the church is on the left, where beggars sit, and the sign above the closed door on the right says: "M.G. Zlotnikoff's Fruit Store".

Note electric wires and poles everywhere. And we were told tales about "backwards old Russia" and that it was Lenin who invented electric light bulbs!

http://www.gridenko.com/pg

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Braxton7
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?
Re: 100 colour photos from 100 years ago
In reply to alex_virt, Jan 29, 2011

alex_virt wrote:

steelski wrote:

The best thing about these images is the lack of concrete. Its a very different russia than the one I am used to seeing.

I saw some modern pictures of the same places that look disturbingly similar to PG's photos. Everything is the same but dilapidated and shabby. It shows how little the communists cared about Russia, just pumped out its resources to develop other national republics and support any 3rd world countries that would claim their "Socialist orientation".

The Pantheon was built of concrete http://www.aviewoncities.com/rome/pantheon.htm over 2000 years ago. The Romans invented concrete of course,the modern world could not exist without it's rediscovery.The CCCP is dead for many reasons, believe it or not there are many that still mourn it in Russia no need to kick the corpse.

 Braxton7's gear list:Braxton7's gear list
Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alex_virt
Contributing MemberPosts: 574
Like?
Re: 100 colour photos from 100 years ago
In reply to Braxton7, Jan 30, 2011

Braxton7 wrote:

The CCCP is dead for many reasons, believe it or not there are many that still mourn it in Russia

Yes, they do. Not because life in the USSR was very good, but because for millions of people life under the new regime is much, much worse.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads