Accessories for the Olympus XZ-1

Started Jan 20, 2011 | Discussions
Knight Palm
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,723Gear list
Like?
Accessories for the Olympus XZ-1
Jan 20, 2011

I've prebooked a XZ-1 camera today. Now I'm trying to figure out what essential accessories are needed (extra battery, charger, case, HDMI cable) and what to skip. I'll await to see if I really need the VF-2, since the 3" OLED display might be satisfactory for my needs.

Comprehensive accessory list for XZ-1:
• FL-36R Electronic Flash
• FL-CB05 Off Flash Cable
• MAL-1 Macro Arm Light
• VF-2 External Electronic Viewfinder
• SEMA-1 Microphone Set 1
• CB-HD1 HDMI cable (type A / type D micro)
• LI-50B Battery (3.7V, 925mAh)
• LI-50C Lithium ion battery charger
• CNS-09 Black leather strap
• CSCH-84 Fitted leather case
--

Ludwig Wittgenstein; British philosopher born in Austria; a major influence on logic and logical positivism (1889-1951):

“What can be said at all can be said clearly; and whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent”

Knight Palm's gear list:Knight Palm's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-400 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
Knight Palm
Like?
a page with its accessories
In reply to Knight Palm, Jan 20, 2011

Found Olympus America has a page with its accessories:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1530&page=accessories

and an additional accessory for the XZ-1:
• RM-UC1 Remote Cable Release

What functionality has the multi-USB port of the camera besides charging, remote, accessing the cameras memory card, VGA video?
--

Ludwig Wittgenstein; British philosopher born in Austria; a major influence on logic and logical positivism (1889-1951):

“What can be said at all can be said clearly; and whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent”

Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-400 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Allan Ostling
Regular MemberPosts: 235
Like?
conversion lens adapter
In reply to Knight Palm, Jan 20, 2011

Also you might want the CLA-12 conversion lens adapter, mentioned in the last table here: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/xz1-review . This may allow mounting of the TCON-17 1.7X telephoto attachment, giving a focal length of 200mm. You may also be able to mount the new wide-angle and fisheye attachments announced for the Olympus E-PL2 (using the appropriate step rings).
--
Allan

AJohn
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,461
Like?
I'm not so sure...
In reply to Allan Ostling, Jan 20, 2011

...Yes, the last table does mention the CLA-12 lens adapter, but the table at the top shows 'no' conversion lens support. So, does it have lens threads for an adapter or not? I'm not sure this has been addressed anywhere yet.

No lens threads might be a deal breaker for me. I like leaving the camera on with lens extended and protected in a tube with a filter on the end (like my C750).

Richard Butler
dpreview AdminPosts: 1,964
Like?
Re: I'm not so sure...
In reply to AJohn, Jan 20, 2011

AJohn wrote:

...Yes, the last table does mention the CLA-12 lens adapter, but the table at the top shows 'no' conversion lens support. So, does it have lens threads for an adapter or not? I'm not sure this has been addressed anywhere yet.

No lens threads might be a deal breaker for me. I like leaving the camera on with lens extended and protected in a tube with a filter on the end (like my C750).

There's a menu option to enable the use of the TCON-17.

Richard - dpreview.com

AJohn
Like?
Hmmm, interesting...(edited)...
In reply to Richard Butler, Jan 20, 2011

...so then there must be lens threads on the body like the C-series cams. Hard to tell in the pictures.

I wonder why it would need a menu item to enable it? That seems odd. It should be just like a filter that you screw on and it's all optics after that. There's no menu item like that on any of the c-series (or others) that I ever heard of.

Will have to stay tuned on this one. Thanks Richard.

DigiDan
Contributing MemberPosts: 575Gear list
Like?
Re: Hmmm, interesting...(edited)...

AJohn wrote:

I wonder why it would need a menu item to enable it?

This is to stop the lens from zooming and hitting the TC, most cameras with add ons have this menu option.
--
Danno

DigiDan's gear list:DigiDan's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Olympus E-1
AJohn
Like?
Danno...
In reply to DigiDan, Jan 20, 2011

...I getcha, thanks! It's just not something I even considered, because when I got the adapter tube for my C750 (way back when), I just had to make sure to get the right one so lens extension was not an issue.

That was a common consideration back then. I guess things have changed. Maybe this is done by Oly, so they can use their standard tube without designing another?

When I did this, I bought a Bower and there were different sizes. Just had to get the right one.

justharry
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm not so sure...

There are several excellent shots of the XZ-1 on DPRs Preview. One of the photos - when enlarged - clearly shows the threads . It's on page three of the review; the photo (with zoom extended) next to the photo of rear control dial.

justharry's gear list:justharry's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon PowerShot G9 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +2 more
AJohn
Like?
Oh yeah, I see it,...
In reply to justharry, Jan 20, 2011

...Arrrgh, I missed it in that picture. I was looking at the straight on view before. Nice to see that filters can be used. Thanks for pointing that out JH.

Wayne N.
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,950
Like?
Re: Oh yeah, I see it,...
In reply to AJohn, Jan 21, 2011

AJohn wrote:

...Arrrgh, I missed it in that picture. I was looking at the straight on view before. Nice to see that filters can be used. Thanks for pointing that out JH.

Indeed. Gotta have a polarizer on that puppy!

Cheers,

Wayne
http://www.pbase.com/wayne_n

Knight Palm
Like?
Conversion Lens Adapters for i.e. DigiScoping
In reply to Wayne N., Jan 21, 2011

exists for several P&S cameras, and obviously the XZ-1 has threads that can fit to an existing or new one:
http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/compact/accessories/conversion/#adapter

Also an adapter is needed if the camera should be used for digiscoping.

Until we'll see a System Chart for XZ-1 , I suppose we'll have to guess what the lens accessories are. Most likely we'll see more accessories if the XZ-1 sustain it's initial scuccess and as well paves the way for an XZ-10 complement.

-- hide signature --

Knight Palm
Like?
XZ-1 arrives in Sweden
In reply to Knight Palm, Jan 27, 2011

Got my new camera today.

No accessories decided yet, apart from 133x (20MB/s) 16GB SanDisk Extreme SDHC card. And one extra battery.

It's a responsive camera, it loves low light, has an effective built in IBIS image stabilizator, fast focus, and an impressive image quality. Video is fun too.

The control wheel on the back is quite sensitive, I did struggle a bit with my freezing hands today, but I might get used to it after some practise.

Knight Palm
Like?
Olympus 12-pin multiconnector for USB, AV, Remote, Charging
In reply to Knight Palm, Jan 29, 2011

Both these images are taken with the XZ-1 in the supermacro setting, both at max aperture opening ƒ/1.8, both at freehand. I can imagine this little camera will become popular for easy macro work, since it's so easy to achieve both sharp and esthetic results with it.

First time I experienced this connector was with the DSLR E-400, and it seems Olympus has been frequently using this one, so a lot of accessories using this connector are also found on eBay.

-- hide signature --

FlamingJune1967
Contributing MemberPosts: 845
Like?
Re: Olympus 12-pin multiconnector for USB, AV, Remote, Charging
In reply to Knight Palm, Jan 29, 2011

Thank you for posting your photos, Knight Palm! Please post more! I am camera-less at the moment, and so am having to live off other's photos

Knight Palm
Like?
High altitude skiing with Olympus XZ-1
In reply to FlamingJune1967, Feb 7, 2011

FlamingJune1967 wrote:

Thank you for posting your photos, Knight Palm! Please post more! I am camera-less at the moment, and so am having to live off other's photos

Thanks for your comment.
More pictures and a link to a youtube video at my other thread:

• High altitude skiing with Olympus XZ-1 [IMGs]

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1008&message=37663944

Regarding accessories, one extra battery was enough to have to switch with, since the capacity lowers in very cold temperatures. Regarding the 133x (20MB/s) 8GB + 16GB SanDisk Extreme SDHC cards, those worked well and even some space were left on them after a week of plenty useage.

-- hide signature --

LLS1
Regular MemberPosts: 423
Like?
Re: Hmmm, interesting...(edited)...
In reply to AJohn, Feb 7, 2011

AJohn wrote:

I wonder why it would need a menu item to enable it? That seems odd. It should be just like a filter that you screw on and it's all optics after that. There's no menu item like that on any of the c-series (or others) that I ever heard of.

I guess the image stabilization system has to know the focal length to work properly.

Knight Palm
Like?
PT-050 Underwater Housing for the XZ-1
In reply to Knight Palm, Feb 12, 2011

Perhaps something to even put on a car or a motorbike.

System chart in original language:

http://olympus-imaging.jp/product/compact/accessory/underwater/pt050/pdf/pt050_systemchart.pdf

-- hide signature --

Knight Palm
Like?
Powering your XZ-1 (LI-50B & LI-50C)
In reply to Knight Palm, Feb 15, 2011

It seems the Olympus LI-50B battery (3.7V, 925mAh, 3.5Wh) is manufactured by Sony and identical to the Pentax D-LI92 and Ricoh DB-100. This means you could get an original charger also from Pentax or Ricoh to charge the original battery for your Olympus XZ-1.

Check the third party replacement batteries from Energizer:
http://www.energizerbatteries.com/productList.asp?device=DIGCAM

I really like the possibility of USB charging the XZ-1, because it's now easy to charge the camera battery in the car or on a motorbike or on a snowmobile. I think the popularity comes from the way you charge your iPods & iPhones. Provides easy access to public 'charge stations' for 'people on the go'.

If you already have an 230V to USB 5V transformer, all you need is an extra USB cable:

■ CB-USB6 is the combo cable that comes with the XZ-1 camera. (Shorter in length now.)

■ (CB-USB4 comes with the standard Mini-USB Series B connector, which is supplied with the E-5 DSLR, hence doesn't fit the XZ-1)

Of course it's recommended to bring an extra battery with, preferably charged via the separately sold Olympus Li-ion battery charger LI-50C, which requires approximately 2 hours charging time.

Knight Palm
Like?
Capdase Screen Protective Film 3.5" | ScreenGUARD
In reply to Knight Palm, Feb 17, 2011

Another accessory I can recommend is the ScreenGUARD ARIS |iXiMAG|IMAG from http://www.capdase.com/ The XZ-1 needs the universal 3,5" 50x72mm foil slightly trimmed to fit the cameras large (50x71mm) OLED display.

Ref :

• Capdase Professional ScreenGUARD ARIS Model No. : SP00D035-C

http://www.capdase.com/en/product5.php?cid=6&bid=29&mid=171&pid=3380

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads