Fuji X100 vs. Leica X1 vs. Gf1 w/20mm pancake

Started Jan 16, 2011 | Discussions
Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,132
Like?
Have owned the x100 and x1, no gf
In reply to Photohobbyfun, Jan 8, 2012

M4/3's makes a tradeoff that has never appealed to me, but I've shot extensively with the x1 and x100. On paper I prefer the x100, in usage the x1.

The fuji has all the obvious advantages, (ovf, high iso, faster lens, newer af tech, etc) but the leica consistantly takes photos I prefer. It comes down to better colors, (particularly reds) and higher microcontrast from the elmarit.

Neither is the best camera for every situation, but they both fit the same niche for me. The x1 gets far more bag time then does the fuji.

I think the key to deciding which of the three is best for you comes down to your intended usage firstly and budget next.

If I was starting fresh, I would wait to see how things shake out with the fuji x1 pro.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
since1968
Contributing MemberPosts: 551Gear list
Like?
X100 for skin tones [was Re: Fuji X100 vs. Leica X1 vs. Gf1 w/20mm pancake]
In reply to Photohobbyfun, Jan 8, 2012

Nothing like following up on a year old thread!

I sold the GF1+20mm pancake to buy the X100. I like the X100 but after a owning it a couple weeks it's not a slam dunk over the GF1. Bottom line: X100 is so idiosyncratic that I would suggest buying from a store with a good return policy, and really kicking the tires.

X100 pros:

1) Skin tone. Really. My 3 year old still has the translucent skin of youth, and I want to capture it in pictures before it's gone. The X100's sensor, lens, and in camera JPG just nail it. The image quality of the best images from the X100 are some of the best I've ever seen from any camera. I feel like I'm seeing again what I saw with my own eyes, and it's hard to overstate that pleasure.

2) The OVF/EVF. I don't have anything new to add here, but I just love being able to hold the camera up to my eye instead of at arm's length.

X100 cons:

1) Autofocus: just awful. Frequently hunts and misses. No excuse for how bad it is, and the lack of functional manual focus makes it hard to adjust.

2) 35mm field of view. It is what it is, but I didn't appreciate that the extra 5mm you get from the 20mm panny make it so much easier to fill the screen. I'm very happy with a fixed lens, but 35mm is wider than I thought when I bought it.

So... the GF1 has a better ratio of keepers than the X100. But the keepers from the X100 are gorgeous, and noticeably better than the GF1.

Cheers,
--
Marc A. Garrett
http://flickr.com/photos/since1968/

since1968's gear list:since1968's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads