mirror lock up Permanent - 60d

Started Jan 16, 2011 | Discussions
maayan b
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
mirror lock up Permanent - 60d
Jan 16, 2011

hi

I would like to shot time lapse with my 60d and I feel sorry for the camera's mirror going up and down all night long....amonth ago the mirror I have on the 5d just fell off...

Is it possible locking up the mirror for multiple exposures?? take unlimited amount of shot while mirror is locked.... ? - I tried with the C.Fn 3 but it works only for one shot...

thanks

maayan

Colophotos
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
Re: mirror lock up Permanent - 60d
In reply to maayan b, Jan 16, 2011

If you shoot while in Live view mode the mirror will stay up until you exit live view mode.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
maayan b
Like?
In reply to Colophotos, Jan 16, 2011

I'm using live view and its the as taking the shot from the viewfunder ... after the first shot it goes down....

Ken Croft
Contributing MemberPosts: 553Gear list
Like?
In reply to maayan b, Jan 17, 2011

It seems that you have your focus set to quick mode and that is why the mirror comes down for focusing. Change to live mode focusing and the mirror will stay up all the time during focusing. This mode is more accurate but slow. [See pages around 161-166 in the 60D manual].
--
Ken from the UK now in France

Ken Croft's gear list:Ken Croft's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +1 more
Bebert
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?
In reply to Ken Croft, Jan 17, 2011

Not sure what you're subject is but you probably don't need to focus more than once - at the beginning. Typically time lapse shots are taken from a fixed position like a tripod and focus can remain fixed unless your subject is moving. Depending upon the effect you're going for you can also play with setting the aperture so that you get a larger depth of field (when shooting in low light this will call for an increase in ISO and/or a decrease in ss; there's a happy medium somewhere).

So, live view and manual focus will keep the mirror up for the duration. I'd be worried about battery drain and wear on the LCD, though. Does anyone know if LV shooting will work with the display in the stowed/protected position? Never tried it and I'm at work and can't test.

-- hide signature --
eekamouse
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
In reply to Bebert, Jan 17, 2011

Bebert wrote:

So, live view and manual focus will keep the mirror up for the duration. I'd be worried about battery drain and wear on the LCD, though. Does anyone know if LV shooting will work with the display in the stowed/protected position? Never tried it and I'm at work and can't test.

Yes it does work

Bebert
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?
In reply to eekamouse, Jan 17, 2011

Thanks - that bit of knowledge might come in handy sometime.

-- hide signature --
CNY_AP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212
Like?
In reply to Bebert, Jan 18, 2011

I thought the 5D and 60D had a "quiet mode" which causes the mirror (or shutter?) to not bang open and closed???

I wish Canon would support time lapse - why not even let us shoot movies at a selectable frame rate? Then the mirror would not flip up and down nor would the shutter get worn out.

Photato
Senior MemberPosts: 1,792Gear list
Like?
In reply to CNY_AP, Jan 18, 2011

CNY_AP wrote:

I thought the 5D and 60D had a "quiet mode" which causes the mirror (or shutter?) to not bang open and closed???

I wish Canon would support time lapse - why not even let us shoot movies at a selectable frame rate? Then the mirror would not flip up and down nor would the shutter get worn out.

My old Canon SD870 has such a feature. It basically shoot video at 1fps or or 2 seconds per frame until the video hits the 4Gig limit. The result is a movie played at 15fps. It never trips the shutter.

I guess for the 60D there are temperature issues with the sensor running for video. I think it averages 30 or 44min running time before the heat makes it stop.

For the OP, Silent Mode 1 is the best alternative.
I would not use a 60D to do time lapse though. Too much wear to the shutter.
For that I have the Pro1.

Photato's gear list:Photato's gear list
Canon ELPH 500 HS Canon EOS M Apple iPad Mini +1 more
maayan b
Like?
In reply to Photato, Jan 18, 2011

thank you thank you!
it works!

thank you

Clint Dunn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,227Gear list
Like?
Don't worry about it....
In reply to maayan b, Jan 18, 2011

Don't even worry about it. The mirror falling off of your 5D was a known problem...not the norm. These cameras are designed to allow for well in excess of 70 thousand shots (over 150k for my 1series), you don't need to worry about it. Don't like the mirrror in your DSLR??? Shoot a rangefinder.

Clint
http://clintdunn.zenfolio.com

Clint Dunn's gear list:Clint Dunn's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +3 more
Brunobl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,811
Like?
In reply to CNY_AP, Jan 18, 2011

CNY_AP wrote:

why not even let us shoot movies at a selectable frame rate?

This points to a larger issue - DSLR cameras started to turn into multi-function devices, and users started wanting features that just aren't there.

There may be DSLR's with hardcore still and movie features in our future, but for now we must accept that DSLR's are eminently still-image cameras that also do video, with all the limitations that this definition entails.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,

Bruno Lobo.

http://www.pbase.com/brunobl

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads