need a good LCD screen on a point and shoot digital camera

Started Jan 11, 2011 | Discussions
kitty3
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
need a good LCD screen on a point and shoot digital camera
Jan 11, 2011

I need all the advise I can get on this subject: Looking for a good point and shoot camera with a LCD screen that will not act as a mirror when shooting in full sun. I read that some cameras without the viewfinder---which leaves only the LCD screen for viewing purposes-----acts like a mirror in full sun, and you can not see a clear view of the subject. Of course, this was one persons opinion of a particular camera. Since this will only be my second digital camera, I am now confused as to looking for a camera with a viewfinder, or finding a camera with a good LCD screen that will take great shots --even in the sun. I am told viewfinders are on the way out. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Once I get this problem solved, I will then have to figure out brand, and other specifications.

Thanks ahead of time for any help!
Sincerely, kitty3

AnandaSim
Forum ProPosts: 13,422Gear list
Like?
Re: need a good LCD screen on a point and shoot digital camera
In reply to kitty3, Jan 11, 2011

kitty3 wrote:

I need all the advise I can get on this subject: Looking for a good point and shoot camera with a LCD screen that will not act as a mirror when shooting in full sun. I read that some cameras without the viewfinder---which leaves only the LCD screen for viewing purposes-----acts like a mirror in full sun, and you can not see a clear view of the subject.

I know what you mean but that isn't what happens. LCDs are backlit by a small amount of light. When you bring them to the sun, the sun is so bright, its light swamps the LCD light so you can't see anything in the LCD.

I have a new phone that uses a display called AMOLED. Samsung makes it and they also make such a display for their cameras. In the brightest sun, you can see a little and it is much better than the screen of my year 2000 camera. Enough to aim and shoot but to decide picture quality, it's not very good.

Of course, this was one persons opinion of a particular camera. Since this will only be my second digital camera, I am now confused as to looking for a camera with a viewfinder, or finding a camera with a good LCD screen that will take great shots --even in the sun.

The camera may have a good LCD or it may take good shots (great is due to you, not the camera). It may do either but few do both.

I am told viewfinders are on the way out.

Optical viewfinders (not DSLR) are not the way out or have nearly disappeared. The Canon G series - G10, 11, 12 still have a vestigial optical viewfinder and I was asked by a tourist to take a group picture with her camera. I found it was not very clear and looked like I was peeping through the bottom of a glass Coca Cola bottle - maybe that was me. And that is a premium grade compact camera.

Electronic Viewfinders are NOT on the way out. If you buy a camera that is higher priced and bigger, it will have a hump that can hold an EVF - these are quite clear and bright. However, the difference is, the camera is now bigger and has a slight hump.

Then there are the add-ons. The recently announced Olympus XZ-1 has no EVF as sold but you can buy the same brand EVF and it clips onto the top of the camea. It is a good EVF but that brings up the price of the already premium priced camera.

-- hide signature --

Ananda
http://anandasim.blogspot.com
https://sites.google.com/site/asphotokb

'There are a whole range of greys and colours - from
the photographer who shoots everything in iA / green
AUTO to the one who shoots Manual Everything. There
is no right or wrong - there are just instances of
individuality and individual choice.'

AnandaSim's gear list:AnandaSim's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?

On a somewhat lower tech level that new LCD technologies you can get things like these :

http://www.photosolve.com/main/product/xtendaview/index.html

http://www.parkcameras.com/4378/Delkin-Digital-Stick-On-Shade-for-1-8-inch-LCD-screens.html

Haven't used either myself.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,100Gear list
Like?

personally, I find the high-resolution 920K screens with glare coating to be absolutely crystal clear in direct sun - don't know if it's just me, as so many folks complain about LCD visibility in sun, yet I haven't really had too much of a problem even with some of the lesser LCDs on P&S cameras in the past. My P&S ultracompact has a 3" 230K screen, yet I can see it pretty clearly in direct sun with the anti-glare coating on it (Sony TX1). My DSLR has a 920K LCD screen that tilts, and I can definitely notice the difference - it is nearly impervious to sun, and can be clearly seen even with good contrast and color in direct sun. Some newer cameras recently announced are coming along with LCD and OLED LCD panels that are 920K, so maybe those are ones worth looking at too. Sony models in general (higher-end ones at least) seem to have pretty good anti-glare coatings and true-black screens that hold decent contrast.

-- hide signature --
 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
kitty3
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
In reply to zackiedawg, Jan 12, 2011

Thanks to: AnandaSim ,sjgcit, and Zackiedawg for all their helpful information. There is so much to think about before buying a good point and shoot, but thanks to you, and this forum, I am getting closer to making a decision. I take your tips seriously, and appreciate your time.

Thanks, Kitty3

Wobs4u
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to kitty3, Jan 14, 2011

I have found this to be a useful thread.

I have been looking to buy a P&S with a large (10x) zoom and a viewfinder. HOwever, such a beast appears to be extinct. You can buy things like the G12 but although that has a viewfinder, it only has a 4x zoom. The same can be said of the P7000.

So, I have decided to go for a large zoom P&S. The criteria though is that the screen does not suffer from glare. As mentioned above Samsung use the AMOLED screen with the WB600 camera. There's also a new WB700 that has just been released. Another alternative is the Lumix TZ10.

My question is - does anybody have any experience of these cameras and the problem, or not, of glare?

Thanks

Skipper494
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,923
Like?
In reply to kitty3, Jan 14, 2011

Nikon P7000

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads