Mode for sports action photos on D7000

Started Jan 8, 2011 | Discussions
mbkn
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Mode for sports action photos on D7000
Jan 8, 2011

I'm going out to try using the D7000 at a school basketball game. The lighting would be standard gym lights. I wondering what the ideal mode I would get the best results from. From what I understand the S mode would be the best. I would have to adjust the shutter speed probably to 1/500 or higher, possibly adjust the exposure compensation and iso of 1600???. I will be using a nikon 16-85 and 70-200 2.8 zoom.
Any suggestions or helpful hints would be much appreciated.

drifit
Contributing MemberPosts: 984
Like?
manual
In reply to mbkn, Jan 8, 2011

indoor lighting is normally fix and it will not change. manual mode is highly recommended. check the WB and set it accordingly as the lighting temperature will not change too.

use Af-C and continuous shooting to high(fps). player's shirt normally has better contrast for AF, aim it.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drifit/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mbkn
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Re: manual
In reply to drifit, Jan 8, 2011

what would be an ideal shutter speed? i will be using a 70-200 2.8 lens tomorrow so i guess 1/500 or higher should be sufficient. i will set the continuous to high speed and turn off the af assist illuminator. any other suggestions.

Chuck Steenburgh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,982Gear list
Like?
In reply to mbkn, Jan 8, 2011

1/250 or 1/320 would be sufficient, especially for high school level. Might be harder to get anything better in most gyms.

Indoor lighting does vary considerably in basketball, even in top-level college venues. It's typical for the area under the rim to be a full stop or more dimmer than mid court. That's where Auto ISO comes in handy:

http://sportsphotoguy.com/secret-d300-high-speed-auto-iso-trick/

Like the D300s, the D7000 gives you latitude to specify a minimum shutter speed, so set this to 1/500 to start with and max ISO to 6400 and see how it works. I'd shoot in aperture-priority mode at f2.8 and see how it works.

While I have not yet updated my settings for the D7000, my D300 settings give a pretty good idea of how to use similar settings in the D7000:

http://sportsphotoguy.com/camera-settings-basketball-d300/

Chuck Steenburgh's gear list:Chuck Steenburgh's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-FH20 Nikon Coolpix S800c Nikon D40 Nikon D70 Nikon D7000 +22 more
scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,640Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chuck Steenburgh, Jan 8, 2011

I too read the sportsguy.com and it's a nice read since I'm learning. Here's my experience. Since conditions vary greatly from gym to gym you need to get there early and take some test photos. You could get some keepers at 1/250 but you will have some motion blur depending on what's going on. 1/400 and faster will stop most action.

I shoot in A, if I'm using my 70-200 2.8 I usually have to shoot at 2.8, if I'm using my 85 1.8, I'll stop down to 2.2 or more if available light allows for greater DOF and sharpness based on some feedback from the forum. Auto ISO set as below, min shutter 1/500 max iso 3200, although after taking some recital photos at 6400 with good results I'm considering upping at next game if needed. I'll take some test shots and I may lower the min shutter speed to keep ISO lower. I've also found that under the basket at our gyms is definitely darker and the opposite wall of the stands is also significantly brighter with the exception of a really dark corner. I keep WB to auto, but this yields some unpredictability depending lighting conditions in that particular area of the gym. I really need to pay more attention to WB and find a manual setting that is accurate.

I've learned that you need to pay attention to framing the shot as cropping and high ISO doesn't mix.

Focus is more of a challenge to me. I've tried all the modes with mixed success and mostly use AFC 9 point I believe.

Here's a shot from a few weeks ago.

Chuck Steenburgh wrote:

1/250 or 1/320 would be sufficient, especially for high school level. Might be harder to get anything better in most gyms.

Indoor lighting does vary considerably in basketball, even in top-level college venues. It's typical for the area under the rim to be a full stop or more dimmer than mid court. That's where Auto ISO comes in handy:

http://sportsphotoguy.com/secret-d300-high-speed-auto-iso-trick/

Like the D300s, the D7000 gives you latitude to specify a minimum shutter speed, so set this to 1/500 to start with and max ISO to 6400 and see how it works. I'd shoot in aperture-priority mode at f2.8 and see how it works.

While I have not yet updated my settings for the D7000, my D300 settings give a pretty good idea of how to use similar settings in the D7000:

http://sportsphotoguy.com/camera-settings-basketball-d300/

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
garyking
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,083
Like?
Re: FYI Chuck Steenburg IS the Sports Guy (nt)
In reply to scokill, Jan 8, 2011
-- hide signature --

'I'm not as smart today as I will be tomorrow.'
WSSA #261; Here's to 'Bo'

Chuck Steenburgh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,982Gear list
Like?
...just a rumor
In reply to garyking, Jan 8, 2011

I'm just a mild-mannered reporter for a small web site.

Chuck Steenburgh's gear list:Chuck Steenburgh's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-FH20 Nikon Coolpix S800c Nikon D40 Nikon D70 Nikon D7000 +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads