Heads up - New boxed Ricoh Caplio 500G on Ebay

Started Jan 5, 2011 | Discussions
schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,099Gear list
Like?
Heads up - New boxed Ricoh Caplio 500G on Ebay
Jan 5, 2011

I just noticed that there is a Boxed Ricoh Caplio 500G on Ebay.co.uk The seller ships worldwide and seem to have good reputation. No reserve. The price is too good to pass on but I'm not going to bid as I already have a 500SE
Just a little more than two days left and no bid so far. Might be a bargain.

On ebay.com there is a used Ricoh 500SE with gps that is set to go for probably a whole lot more with one bid on it. Still within what these use to go for.

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,457
Like?
No bids with 20 hours to go
In reply to schaki, Jan 7, 2011

No bids with 20 hours to go, and currently at about $100. Doesn't look like someone will have to pay much more than that to get it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
schaki
Like?
Re: No bids with 20 hours to go
In reply to Midwest, Jan 7, 2011

Midwest wrote:

No bids with 20 hours to go, and currently at about $100. Doesn't look like someone will have to pay much more than that to get it.

Well with about an hour to go it have got a bidder when I checked. Hopefully someone from this board or Ricohforum. It may be that guy which was about to buy a G700 but it could also be someone else.

There is a newer firmware for it than the one it comes with I would guess ftp://download.ricohpmmc.com/DC/500Gwide/

Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
In reply to schaki, Jan 8, 2011

Eight bid in the end. Not bad for a rugged model released in 2006

Contax TVS Digital
Midwest
Like?
In reply to schaki, Jan 8, 2011

The cagiest bidders hold off til right near the very end because if you put your max bid out early, it gives other bidders time to talk themselves into bidding more than they planned. If you don't toss your real high bid out til the end, they don't have time to respond. I use a service that places my bid within the last ten seconds of an auction and it has worked for me many times. And it's free for up to 5 auctions a week.

I just got two cameras on Ebay - a Minolta 110 SLR that hopefully is as good as it looks, and a Fuji Discovery 3000 camera that appears to be the ugliest thing since the Fotron III - and got them on one bid of $5.99 US plus shipping. Can't wait to see what these look like - I really wanted the Minolta for my display case. I had a brand new one 30+ years ago and it cost me at least a couple hundred dollars then.

schaki
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Feb 5, 2011
Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
In reply to schaki, Mar 1, 2011

At ebay.de there is a 500G which might go cheaply and at ebay.com there is a reasonably priced 500SE with bids. The seller claims it have GPS although i dont see any external one in that auction. The 500SE model B certainly don't have a built in such.

Contax TVS Digital
Chris Dennehy
Contributing MemberPosts: 637Gear list
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Mar 1, 2011

Midwest wrote:

The cagiest bidders hold off til right near the very end because if you put your max bid out early, it gives other bidders time to talk themselves into bidding more than they planned.

Yes that's correct there's a Pentax 50mm F1.2, very rare on e-bay uk at the moment, for the next 45 mins anyway that has steadily climbed to €300+ over the last few days and will probably shoot up at the end, there's absolutely no need to bid before the last few seconds, though of course you can still be beaten.

If you don't toss your real high bid out til the end, they don't have time to respond.

There is unfortunately one snag and it's happened to me on a couple of occasions where the site fouled up and the bid went in too late.

I use a service that places my bid within the last ten seconds of an auction and it has worked for me many times. And it's free for up to 5 auctions a week.

I didn't know such things existed, have you a link ?

-- hide signature --

CD

Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,217Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chris Dennehy, Mar 1, 2011

Chris Dennehy wrote:

Midwest wrote:

The cagiest bidders hold off til right near the very end because if you put your max bid out early, it gives other bidders time to talk themselves into bidding more than they planned.

Yes that's correct there's a Pentax 50mm F1.2, very rare on e-bay uk at the moment, for the next 45 mins anyway that has steadily climbed to €300+ over the last few days and will probably shoot up at the end, there's absolutely no need to bid before the last few seconds, though of course you can still be beaten.

If you don't toss your real high bid out til the end, they don't have time to respond.

There is unfortunately one snag and it's happened to me on a couple of occasions where the site fouled up and the bid went in too late.

I use a service that places my bid within the last ten seconds of an auction and it has worked for me many times. And it's free for up to 5 auctions a week.

-- hide signature --

CD

Chris, the one I use is called Auction Sniper, and I put my bid in the last 3 seconds or so. It notifies you if you are outbid anytime before the end (before your bid would go in) but I usually decide what my max is and just walk away if I have been outbid. I lost too many auctions at the last second before, this has helped. Here is a link. It is very cheap and you can buy insurance as part of the snipping process if you win. No fees if you do not win.

http://www.auctionsniper.com/default.aspx

schaki
Like?
In reply to Joel Stern, Oct 9, 2011

At the moment there are One 500SE, one 500G and also a G600 in Ebay.co.uk. All of them without reserve price and no mad bidding so far.

You better ask the seller about the 500SE because the camera obviously has been shut down with the lens still at 28mm. In worst case the camera may have been dropped and the lens have got stuck there. You better ask the seller to make sure it is ok. But it shouldn't be a problem as he accept returns.
Also an other 500SE on ebay.com which is not too badly priced.

Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
A rare RDC-200G
In reply to schaki, Mar 5, 2012

RDC-200G. Predecessor to the Caplio 300G and the second camera in the series of rugged Ricohs. This one seems to be very rare , I can only remember having seen it once before on Ebay, for like two or three years ago.

Slightly pricey for what it is, especially with that scratched LCD screen. Looks like deep scratches to me though I'm not 100% sure about that and you probably better ask the seller about that and also better pictures of that damage

The sensor size is 1/2, so it's marginally closer to the former standard of potentially good and often decent compact cameras.

So how is the performance? I've never used the 200G or Rdc-5300 myself and have so far not found some real review of the 200G. But at least there is one review of the model it is based on, the Ricoh Rdc-5300 which have the very same sensor and zoom-lens. Considering that some of the following models in that series, 300G, 400G and 500G performed if not identically so at least near equally compared to the models these were based on, I guess that it just might be so for the 200G-Rdc5300 also.
Some full-size samples http://www.steves-digicams.com/rdc5300_samples.html
Another review. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/R53/R53A.HTM

Some short user-reviews http://www.dpreview.com/products/ricoh/compacts/ricoh_rdc5300/user-reviews/list

There is a firmware update for the Rdc-200G available at their Japanese support page. Couldn't find it on the American site or even the ftp server for Europe.

Anyway, through google translate. http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ricoh.co.jp%2Fdc%2Fdownload%2F200G_download_Manual.html&act=url

Note that Smart-media cards with more than 32mb can't be used to update the firmware and there is no support for CF or SD card.
Every camera have at least some drawback.
Smart-media cards, ccd AF instead for PD AF.
Though nice that it uses AA batteries.

Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
Re: A rare RDC-200G
In reply to schaki, Mar 5, 2012
Contax TVS Digital
Midwest
Like?
In reply to Chris Dennehy, Mar 6, 2012

Chris Dennehy wrote:

Midwest wrote:

I always ask myself, how much is the item really worth to me, and is it worth saving a few dollars to go through the process of finding another hopefully as good? Sometimes its worthwhile to just make that really big bid (at the end) and if you still lose it, you know it went for more than you wanted to really pay. Most times though, with a late bid, you'll win it.

I've only had that a couple of times in hundreds of auctions, so it's something which can happen but is unlikely to.

http://www.justsnipe.com

I have used that site for at least a few years now. The basic free service puts in your bid about 8 seconds before the end of the auction. You can always log back in to the site and cancel your bid setup or change the amount you want them to bid for you. I've never come near using up the five free auctions bids they allow you per week.

I don't think they've ever let me down. And one other big advantage is that if an auction ends late at night or while you might be working or busy, it's okay because you don't have to babysit the auction. Your bid will go in at the very end of the auction without you giving it a thought.

You have to set them up with your Ebay user ID and you do have to enter your Ebay password (so they can place your bid for you, of course) and I've never heard of any problems or security issues nor have I ever felt any reason for concern. It's a great service and free - I highly recommend it.

Joel has a site that snipes for you and charges a fee - maybe they are more flexible? But justsnipe.com is totally free and has worked find for me. Check them both out and use the one that fits you best.

schaki
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Jun 18, 2012

A 400G Wide have shown up recently. Price is not bad if the bad sealing is the only problem and Ricoh still replaces that bad Sony ccd free if it would give problem. Just remember to provide sample images which support the problem.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ricoh-Caplio-400Gwide-3-2-MP-Digital-Camera-Black-Silver-/110899376862?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item19d21e32de

Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
In reply to schaki, Jun 22, 2012
Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
In reply to schaki, Jul 24, 2012
Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
In reply to schaki, Sep 9, 2012
Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
In reply to schaki, Oct 8, 2012
Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
In reply to schaki, Oct 10, 2012

Ricoh G600. http://www.ebay.de/itm/SELTEN-RICOH-G600-robust-und-wasserfest-10-MPx-in-Originalverpackung-/330807583629?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Digitalkameras&hash=item4d05ab238d

Not bad but not quite as good as a 500SE either when it comes to image quality, even though it have better clarity in images.

I still rate it higher than the Ricoh PX which have an unfinished jpeg engine which result in sharpening artefacts and there is seemingly no way to get rid of that.

Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
Re: Another 500SE
In reply to schaki, Oct 23, 2012
Contax TVS Digital
Keyboard shortcuts: