A New TV?

Started Jan 1, 2011 | Discussions
Ray Maines
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,252Gear list
Like?
I bought it & it's great! Thanks for the help
In reply to Ray Maines, Jan 9, 2011

Ray Maines wrote:

Is there any particular reason to either buy or avoid a LG 46" TV, model number LG 46LD550?

I bought the TV, a small LG home theater system (LHB 335) to go with it, and upgraded to High Definition cable all at the same time. It was more complicated than it should have been to piece it together, but after two pleasant and helpful phone calls to the support centers of LG and Comcast it's all up and running and I'm happy with it. There are still two too many remotes, but if I stop and think for a moment before I start pushing buttons it all works pretty well.

Forty six inches seems to be about the right size for my living room, ...

My wife wanted a smaller one but I'm glad we got the bigger unit.

and I don't foresee myself getting all crazy with internet access, ...

I might have been wrong about this. I'm going to start working on getting an internet connection to the TV and then we'll see what Netflix and some of the other stuff is all about.

Separate question: This TV has a USB input. Does this mean....?

It's pretty cool to see my pictures on a 46" HD screen. There is a big difference between the old film pictures that have been scanned, the P&S digital pictures and the ones from a DSLR.

I'm looking for an education here. Any comments you care to make would be appreciated.

You guys were great. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bob Blount
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,343Gear list
Like?
Re: "Look the TV up on Amazon ...". (For Comparisons, I Fully Agree)
In reply to BRJR, Jan 9, 2011

Costco doubles the manufacturers warranty for not charge and you don't have to ship it back to Amazon if it arrives with a defect. Costco's return policy is great!
--
Bob

'I can look at a fine art photograph and sometimes I can hear music.' - Ansel Adams

Bob Blount's gear list:Bob Blount's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7
garmon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,068
Like?
Re: I bought it & it's great! Thanks for the help
In reply to Ray Maines, Jan 10, 2011

Ray I'm glad people here were happy to help you. Unlike this poor bloke.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=37411721

-- hide signature --

Canon 7D / 40D
CANON
70-200/2.8 - 135/2.0 - 100/2.0 - 85/1.8 - 35/2.0
SIGMA
EX 50-500 - EX 120-300/2.8 - 18-200OS - EX 18-50/2.8 II - EX 50/1.4
TOKINA 12-24/4 - TAMRON 28-75/2.8 - Samyang 8/3.5
KENKO Pro300 2XTC - 1.4XTC

Debbie Renae
Contributing MemberPosts: 554
Like?
Re: A New TV?

you want a great tv? look at the samsung led's. we have a 46" led samsung that is unbelievable in picture quality. absolutely the best tv we have ever purchased, bar none.

Ray Maines wrote:

OK, I totally understand this is a photography web site, but I really don't have anywhere else to turn. You guys are my "family", so to speak, and I'm in a little over my head about the purchase of a new TV. Maybe I'll look at my photo's on the new TV, who knows.

Is there any particular reason to either buy or avoid a LG 46" TV, model number LG 46LD550? Costco has it for a pretty good price and the spec's look good.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11602026&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC |90607|2341&N=4047300%204294905063&Mo=1&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1〈=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Forty six inches seems to be about the right size for my living room, and I don't foresee myself getting all crazy with internet access, 3D, or any other esoteric features. Picture In Picture seems like it would be a good thing, but I don't know if this TV supports that or not. My living room is well lit, and all the seating would be pretty much in front of the TV.

Separate question: This TV has a USB input. Does this mean I could stick a "Thumb Drive" (or whatever they may be called) into that port and see my pictures on screen? Is it likely there would would be some sort of Slide Show feature built into the TV, or would I have to manually change the pictures?

I'm looking for an education here. Any comments you care to make would be appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Tacoma, Washington, USA

-- hide signature --

Debbie Renae

DonA2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,039Gear list
Like?
In reply to Debbie Renae, Jan 10, 2011
-- hide signature --

Bought a new greatest and latest 52" Sony Bravia XBR TV a few years ago for 3000 $ and is now almost a third of that. Still a great TV and I wouldn't trade it fot the latest and greatest. Our secondary Tv is a 32" Samsung and doesn't have an HDMI port. Only a DVI so extra audio cables are needed. Near all newer TVs have multiple inputs as well as multi HDMI. Most majors are good to go.
Don V. Armitage

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
Marcamera
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,589
Like?
Any TV
In reply to DonA2, Jan 10, 2011

Any TV set will benefit from proper professional calibration by ISF technician.
Not different really from the need to callibrate yourmonitor.

Calibration is fairly expemsive, here in Toronto abt CAD 400.00, not really worth for small sets. But, if you want to get the maximum quality from your TV, particularly if it is a large, advanced set, it is worth every penny.
Rgds

bikinchris
Forum ProPosts: 13,568Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lyle Aldridge, Jan 10, 2011

However, the internet functions built into TV's are not very well protected. Be careful what information you give out across those connections, because they are not very secure.

Lyle Aldridge wrote:

Ray Maines wrote:

Forty six inches seems to be about the right size for my living room, and I don't foresee myself getting all crazy with internet access, 3D, or any other esoteric features.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray, I predict you WILL want net access before long. The amount of content that can be streamed to your big screen is already mind-boggling, and expanding rapidly. Of course, you can add this function later with a set-top box or blue-ray player, but if I were buying a new set today, it's no longer something I'd regard as superfluous.

I was essentially ignorant of this technology until one of our kids gave my wife a Roku box just recently. Now, about a third of what we watch is coming off the internet, and it's increasing to the point where we're considering canceling our satellite TV (there is no cable in our locale). This despite the fact that our net access is barely broadband. It's not just a few movies any more. This fall, for instance, the small college where I went to school had every home game available on the net.

-- hide signature --

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."
“Showing off is the fool’s idea of glory.”

Chris, Broussard, LA

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
bikinchris
Forum ProPosts: 13,568Gear list
Like?
For future reference

I am late to this thread, but if I was in time, I wouid have steered the OP to a Sharp Aquos Quattron 4 color HDTV. The picture compares to Plasma, since ht eblacks are at 1:4,000,000 ratio, it takes much less power to run and it can be purchased from your local Sears.
I bought a 46" right before Christmas, when they dropped down to $1,100
http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTVs/LC46LE810UN.aspx
My wife didn't want one that big, but she let me buy it. Wow is all I can say.

-- hide signature --

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."
“Showing off is the fool’s idea of glory.”

Chris, Broussard, LA

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
DonA2
Like?
Re: Any TV
In reply to Marcamera, Jan 10, 2011

Marcamera wrote:

Calibration is fairly expemsive, here in Toronto abt CAD 400.00, not really worth for small sets. But, if you want to get the maximum quality from your TV, particularly if it is a large, advanced set, it is worth every penny.
Rgds

-- hide signature --

Well, could be but that applied more to CRT sets. Those 3 beams had to be in perfect allignment. Solid state sets tend to be good right out of the box with the factory setup. Modern TVs have numerous user adjustments to tweek the picture to suit. A tech may set thiings up to thier preference, perhaps not yours.

I am a hard core a DIY type. Others that have trouble getting it cabled right might benefit from a pro setup. To each thier own.

Don V. Armitage

Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
DonA2
Like?
Re: Samsung LED?
In reply to Alekko, Jan 10, 2011

Alekko wrote:

I would recommend any Samsung’s LED TV (they’re the best).

I would recommend LED over LCD. LCD is obsolete technology (the source of the light behind the screen) and it’s going to be completely replaced by LED very soon.

If you see LED and LCD TVs side-by-side, you’ll know what to buy :).

Get one which is 120Hz or higher, higher dynamic range (million or better).

Good luck,
Alex.

-- hide signature --

LED is a light source. The panels are LCD. You either have cold cathode flourecent or LED lighting. Some are edge lit, some are back lit. Edge lit are usually thinner. OLEDS (organic light emmiting diodes) may be the next big thing for panels but too expensive at this time.
Don V. Armitage

Marcamera
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,589
Like?
Re: Any TV

dona2 wrote:

Marcamera wrote:

Rgds

Well, could be but that applied more to CRT sets. Those 3 beams had to be in perfect allignment.

Yes, those were alignment issues and not callibration.

Solid state sets tend to be good right out of the box with the factory setup.

Most sets are set up in factory so that they stand out in a store, overly bright, overly saturated. You can get used to them, I agree, but it is not what the picture was intended to be.

Callibrating TVs is no different to callibrating computer monitors to properly render colours.

Modern TVs have numerous user adjustments to tweek the picture to suit. A tech may set thiings up to thier preference, perhaps not yours.

They use instruments, not their eyes to callibrate TVs, colorimeters and laptpops.

They acces TVs service menus, not accesible to users . Access may off course be cracked but it invalidates the warranty in most cases.

I am a hard core a DIY type. Others that have trouble getting it cabled right might benefit from a pro setup. To each thier own.

Not really anything to do with cabling. I also agree that many new TVs look impressive without any callibration. I had the callibration done, it was worth every penny, mine is a 65" Sharp.

As you said, to each his own, I agree with that.
Rgds

Don V. Armitage

Alekko
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,687Gear list
Like?
Re: Samsung LED?

Thanks for the lesson in something that it is my job to know.

If you look again at my post, you’ll see that I did mention that the difference is in the light source, but I didn’t want to get into details because this is the photo forum.

I was using the terminology used by the manufacturers. So yes, of course the LED TVs are LCD TVs with the different light source. Nowadays everyone is using LED & LCD terminology to distinguish between those two (LCD with the different light sources). To most of the consumers, terminology doesn’t matter.

I was just saying what TV technology is better. That’s all.

Btw. Marcamera (post below) was talking about the sophisticated colour calibration, not alignment.

EDIT: I see that Marcamera already responded on the above while I was typing this post.

Alekko's gear list:Alekko's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +1 more
manthasfamily
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,380Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alekko, Jan 11, 2011

Alekko wrote:

I’m sorry, but what’s illegal? Getting an official HD box from the cable/satellite provider to watch the HD program they provide us with?

I have 5 boxes, for every TV in the house. I bought them so that I can legally watch the program. As I mention, this is needed in Canada to watch Bell (satellite) of Rogers (cable) and few others. It might be different in States.

I live in the states and in order for me to get HD I have to have an HD box; at least with my cable company.

-- hide signature --

Karen

If it pleases you then to hell what everyone else thinks!

manthasfamily's gear list:manthasfamily's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
scarman1313
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
In reply to Ray Maines, Jan 22, 2011

I sell these things everyday. 3d is way over priced right now and if you wanted to get on the net with your TV get a blueray player that does it and not the tv you will spend about half the money by getting a tv with no erb and a blueray player that does instead of buying a tv with web.

graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,784
Like?
In reply to scarman1313, Jan 22, 2011

scarman1313 wrote:

I sell these things everyday. 3d is way over priced right now and if you wanted to get on the net with your TV get a blueray player that does it and not the tv you will spend about half the money by getting a tv with no erb and a blueray player that does instead of buying a tv with web.

I agree with this. There are some features you don't want inside the TV, like Internet access and a built-in DVD player, because they'll either go obsolete or break down before the TV gets old. I'd prefer that my TV be a simple monitor with a whole lotta ports on it. Then I can keep upgrading the disc players, Internet boxes, multimedia computers, home theater components, etc. that are plugged into the TV's HDMI ports.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads