A New TV?

Started Jan 1, 2011 | Discussions
Ray Maines
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,278Gear list
Like?
A New TV?
Jan 1, 2011

OK, I totally understand this is a photography web site, but I really don't have anywhere else to turn. You guys are my "family", so to speak, and I'm in a little over my head about the purchase of a new TV. Maybe I'll look at my photo's on the new TV, who knows.

Is there any particular reason to either buy or avoid a LG 46" TV, model number LG 46LD550? Costco has it for a pretty good price and the spec's look good.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11602026&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC |90607|2341&N=4047300%204294905063&Mo=1&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Forty six inches seems to be about the right size for my living room, and I don't foresee myself getting all crazy with internet access, 3D, or any other esoteric features. Picture In Picture seems like it would be a good thing, but I don't know if this TV supports that or not. My living room is well lit, and all the seating would be pretty much in front of the TV.

Separate question: This TV has a USB input. Does this mean I could stick a "Thumb Drive" (or whatever they may be called) into that port and see my pictures on screen? Is it likely there would would be some sort of Slide Show feature built into the TV, or would I have to manually change the pictures?

I'm looking for an education here. Any comments you care to make would be appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +11 more
Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,734Gear list
Like?
Re: A New TV?
In reply to Ray Maines, Jan 1, 2011

Look the TV up on Amazon and read the reviews there. You'll get a lot of feedback that way.
--
Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Skipper494
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,087
Like?

1080P and 120Hz, looks OK to me and LG is excellent.

BRJR
Forum ProPosts: 13,641Gear list
Like?
Re: "Look the TV up on Amazon ...". (For Comparisons, I Fully Agree)
In reply to Olga Johnson, Jan 1, 2011

1. IMO exactly, as I just checked amazon.com. They appear to have the same TV in stock, and a lot more around the same costs. At the link the OP provided, it shows that Costco is charging $99.99 for shipment. At amazon.com, one can sign up online for a "Prime Membership" for cost of $70.00 per year; and, amazon.com will deliver this TV and any other purchases, that are sold directly by amazon.com, with free 2 day delivery; so, right away, the OP would be saving $29.99, on shipping alone.

2. When I do my searches on amazon.com, after the listing of products are presented, I next click on "Prime Eligible" to screen out only the ones eligible for free 2 day delivery by Amazon (and, will have a choice to have one day delivery for a payment of about $3.95). While, typing this Re (message) on my iPad, I am watching CNN News on a 63 inch Samsung Plasma Screen HDTV, that I purchased from amazon, as stated and it was actually delived to inside this room at my home, 2 days after I had ordered it online from Amazon.
--
BRJR ....(LOL, some of us are quite satisfied as Hobbyists ..)

Olga Johnson wrote:

Look the TV up on Amazon and read the reviews there. You'll get a lot of feedback that way.
--
Olga

BRJR's gear list:BRJR's gear list
Nikon D700 Leica M9 Nikon AF Nikkor 14mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +21 more
Ray Maines
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,278Gear list
Like?
USB Input ????

Thank you guys.

What would the USB port be used for?

-- hide signature --

Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +11 more
Tom C
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,488
Like?
Re: USB Input ????

You should be able to run a slide show off your Laptop or PC. My brother does it with his Sony 32in.
--
Tom
When my bones turn to dust,
and if my CD's didn't rust,
future generations will see my photos
and think that I was nuts.

BRJR
Forum ProPosts: 13,641Gear list
Like?
Re: "What would the USB port be used for?"
In reply to Ray Maines, Jan 2, 2011

Besides serving as an input for all sorts of usb electronic devices, most manufacturers periodically make firmware and other software updates to their HDTVs, and one way to update this on ones TV, is to download such from the manufacturers web site, using our computers (much as we currently do for our cameras); and, by copying or loading it to a USB flash drive (8 GB ones are as cheep as $13.00 or less on amazon.com), one can insert this USB drive into the USB slot on the TV, follow instructions as should be in your TVs Owners Manual or directly from the TVs Menus, and the TV is updated within seconds/minutes.

-- hide signature --

BRJR ....(LOL, some of us are quite satisfied as Hobbyists ..)

Ray Maines wrote:

Thank you guys.

What would the USB port be used for?

-- hide signature --

Tacoma, Washington, USA

BRJR's gear list:BRJR's gear list
Nikon D700 Leica M9 Nikon AF Nikkor 14mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +21 more
BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 19,013
Like?
In reply to Ray Maines, Jan 2, 2011

We bought a 52 inch LCD Samsung a couple of years ago, and it transformed how we watch television.

We go to fewer movies by far.

You are aware, I presume, that you need a special receiver to get high definition pictures out of the sky or off the end of a wire belonging to your cable company.

I'm not as big a fanof LG as I used to be, based on stories I've read, not personal experience.

BAK

Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,734Gear list
Like?
In reply to BAK, Jan 3, 2011

BAK wrote:

You are aware, I presume, that you need a special receiver to get high definition pictures out of the sky or off the end of a wire belonging to your cable company.

My understanding of the distinction is that HDTV does not require special receiver. HD-ready requires the special receiver. This model is HDTV, not HD-ready.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Berghof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144
Like?
forget about TV and try this
In reply to Ray Maines, Jan 3, 2011

and try this outlet to stimulate your mind

http://www.redicecreations.com/radio/nonsubscriber.php

and you may discover a whole new world of ideas, good luck
--
Berghof G.C.

Alekko
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,687Gear list
Like?
Samsung LED?

I would recommend any Samsung’s LED TV (they’re the best).

I would recommend LED over LCD. LCD is obsolete technology (the source of the light behind the screen) and it’s going to be completely replaced by LED very soon.

If you see LED and LCD TVs side-by-side, you’ll know what to buy :).

Get one which is 120Hz or higher, higher dynamic range (million or better).

Good luck,
Alex.

Alekko's gear list:Alekko's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +1 more
Alekko
Like?
In reply to Olga Johnson, Jan 3, 2011

In order to receive (and watch) HD program from the cable company (or satellite company), you do need to have their HD receiver. At least here in Canada and I have no reason to believe otherwise in US.

Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +1 more
tompower53
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,256Gear list
Like?
Well let's not forget about plasma - they might be the best
In reply to Alekko, Jan 3, 2011

I just got a new 46" Panasonic plasma and if they make an LCD or LED with better color and blacker blacks or a faster refresh rate I sure never heard about or viewed one.
--
tom power

tompower53's gear list:tompower53's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
John Q Public
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?

Required to have a special tuner:

No, believe that's illegal, and I know it's not true. Things like On-demand, premium channels, etc may require this. but major channels, OTA sources, and etc are often (at least in the US) provided "clear". With a digital TV (as this would be) and being HD capable (as it would be again) the OP could screw into local cable and with the correct programming choice receive at least some HD programming wo/a special box. Been there, done that.

LED is going to replace LCD:

Geez, I sound like I'm argueing. I'm sorry, don't but to be that kind of guy. Still that' not entirely truen. LED is simply an alternate backlight method. In both "std" LCD and "LED" TV the display driver remains LCD. LED is favored only because it's a more even light medium and allows an evem more shallow TV design (when used as a edge source). Its nice, but it's not a critical factor, and in any event LCD is the dispaly engine in use one way in both.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED-backlit_LCD_television

The TV in question:

Nice enough choice, maybe even more TV then you really need. Depends of your room and budget of course, but I just put a 50" plasma in a bedroom. At least in my mind size is the first big gun. Buy absolutely as much as you can fit. TV fanatics will consider this heresay,but I'd drop specs for a larger TV.

On the whole 1080P thing, well... Ho hum. Sure, 1080 does like better then 720, and sooner or later we'll actually even HAVE some 1080 material to watch. But today its quite rare and what there is typically 1080i. In any event, on a 46" display it's hardly critical one way or the other. That 50" I bought? 720P. Why? It was a bedroom and I had a budget to meet. Within that budget the 50" 720P delivers more viewing enjoyment then a 42" 1080p. So...

LG? Sure. They weren't the best product for a time but they've been improving year after year. All other features matching I'd take a panasonic or a samsung first, but I'd not hesitate on a LG. In fact, those three were my final 3 on my 50". I went Sammy, but LG would have been fine.

I do think the 4 HDMI is a good choice. Did you notice the HDMI wireless? Have you thought that through yet? Where the electronics go and how you cable it up can have significant impacts to where you mount. Wall mounting, as an example, Kinds is a hassle if you want a DVD, DVR, or game machine nearby. But... with HDMI wireless you can located all that someplace else.

Really, that's probable the most underated of the technology enablers our there right now, and LG seems to be doing a decent job with it. So...

Summary? Nice TV, nothing wrong with it. Do consider the biggest you can fit and afford. The darn things are like boats: You always the next size up. Personally, if cost was a factor I'd drop LED for more size. Can you spend a grand?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-E550VL/13904842

Thy don't have as good a name, but many an average Joe is buying them and finding happiness..

Alekko
Like?
Re: Well let's not forget about plasma - they might be the best
In reply to tompower53, Jan 3, 2011

Plasma's might be better – but are they?

Well, now you’re talking about two completely different technologies.

Indeed, before LED, plasma had an advantage. Before LED, I didn’t care for either one.

That was before LED. Not anymore. This is 2010/11.

LED closed the gap and in some areas is not just even but even better. Especially in brightness (thanks to LED).

Plasma’s are still slightly better in blacks and contras (but only just) with slightly better viewing angles.

LEDs are better for watching the program during the daylight. No glare like plasma’s.

Plasma’s are more susceptible to burn-in of static images.

I can hang Samsung’s LED on the wall like a picture. Just 20mm thick :).

LED has higher res then plasma.

As for the refresh rates, anything above 120/240MHz on LEDs is just a theory.

Power consumption – LED is way. way more efficient. I read an article where Samsung’s 50” LED was tested. They calculated that using the TV for 8 hours/day/365 would cost US $18/year. Talking green.

It is now a matter of a personal choice. Chose one you like. To me – the choice is clear.

Alekko
Like?
In reply to John Q Public, Jan 3, 2011

I’m sorry, but what’s illegal? Getting an official HD box from the cable/satellite provider to watch the HD program they provide us with?

I have 5 boxes, for every TV in the house. I bought them so that I can legally watch the program. As I mention, this is needed in Canada to watch Bell (satellite) of Rogers (cable) and few others. It might be different in States.

Yes, the stations are sending out HD signal, but for those I really want to watch I need a satellite. I have no interest in the local stations.

LED is going to replace LCD:

... that' not entirely truen. LED is simply an alternate backlight method.

I’m very familiar with LED and LCD. It is part of my job to know all about that :).

In my post you’re quoting I said “LCD is obsolete technology (the source of the light behind the screen) , meaning that the light source of the current LCDs is going to be obsolete soon. I didn't want to get into the details behind the LEDs , because this is not the TV forum. Yes, they are both based on LCD technology, but with the different light sources behind.

Just to say now, LED is better light source than CCFL (Cold-Cathode Fluorescent Lamp) used in what is called LCDs.

Those interested in the subject can google LED. Some of those who make living selling TVs don't know the difference, lol.

Besides, all modern laptops are now made with LED screens (LCDs with LED backlight :)).

John Q Public
Like?

Horses for courses. Tompower liked the compromise. So did I when I selected Plasma for the bedroom. They are, dollar for dollar, more TV. I spent $638 on Sammy and that was local. Tax brought it up more, but the local dealer added some value.. A 50" LCD Samsung would be what? A grand or so, right?

And at night, when I tend to use the thing, the plasma is great to look at.

However, we agree glare, at least in the low-end plasmas, is indeed a problem. In a critical location or one used in a sunlit room one must be mighty careful. I've got 3 HDTV's now. When either of the older two fails the main den's TV will be replaced by a 55-60" something. If it was today it would in fact be an LED LCD w/1080p. But that the main TV. And honestly I would only spend $1k to maybe 1.3, so who knows how much TV I'd get. But then it's a TV, not a car.. Actually, right this minute I'd probably buy the walmart 55" LCD I linked ealier.

Only the OP knows what combination of $$ and performance he needs. But I suppose we've at least given him some things to think about.

Props to all.

John Q Public
Like?
In reply to John Q Public, Jan 3, 2011

Alekho:

You are probably correct, I probably read your post wrong. Or not. And the average reader can decide for his/her self.

Either way, lets not screw up a thread intended to help by screwing around w/semantics and trivialities.

Brad99
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,025
Like?

LED backlights have their own problems. Clouding in corners for one, blue tinted blacks for another, and they only really show their full potential if local dimming is used, which it usually isn't. Trust your eyes, and make sure you see a dark picture in a dark room before deciding. They can be better than normal CCFL backlights but not necessarily so, as they are still being advanced a little.

Lyle Aldridge
Contributing MemberPosts: 564
Like?

Ray Maines wrote:

Forty six inches seems to be about the right size for my living room, and I don't foresee myself getting all crazy with internet access, 3D, or any other esoteric features.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray, I predict you WILL want net access before long. The amount of content that can be streamed to your big screen is already mind-boggling, and expanding rapidly. Of course, you can add this function later with a set-top box or blue-ray player, but if I were buying a new set today, it's no longer something I'd regard as superfluous.

I was essentially ignorant of this technology until one of our kids gave my wife a Roku box just recently. Now, about a third of what we watch is coming off the internet, and it's increasing to the point where we're considering canceling our satellite TV (there is no cable in our locale). This despite the fact that our net access is barely broadband. It's not just a few movies any more. This fall, for instance, the small college where I went to school had every home game available on the net.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads