Third party remote controls for the NEX-5?

Started Dec 29, 2010 | Discussions
camera2
Contributing MemberPosts: 744
Like?
Third party remote controls for the NEX-5?
Dec 29, 2010

Anyone have experiences or suggestions for which one is a good buy? The main complaint I've read is that some of them have a limited range which could make group shots difficult.

Most of the remotes only have one or two buttons. The most fully featured one seems to look like this one, http://cgi.ebay.com/Remote-Control-Sony-RMT-DSLR1-A380-A330-A290-A230-/220710213732?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item33635a9864

Are there any other ones worth considering? I might get the original Sony RMT-DSLR1 but it is out of stock everywhere I've checked.

turnstyle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571
Like?
Re: Third party remote controls for the NEX-5?
In reply to camera2, Dec 29, 2010

I searched Amazon rathrer than Ebay:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nex+remote&x=0&y=0

The Opteka seems well-reviewed, and at $10 it's no big deal -- I'll probably get one, but don't have one myself.

Sony's remote seems ridiculously big and stuffed with buttons that won't do anything (unless you have other cameras that can be used with it).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
camera2
Like?
In reply to turnstyle, Dec 29, 2010

Thanks, I have been looking at amazon myself. Rainbow Imaging has a clone of the original sony remote and I've been trying to think if there are any useful functions it might have. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Alpha-RMT-DSLR1-Camera-Remote/product-reviews/B001G0MPBK/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

[quote]

However, this remote is also meant to be used while checking your photos on playback.

The remote allows the following functions:

While shooting:

Remotely activate the shutter.

Remotely activate the shutter with a 2 seconds delay.

Enter Menu and browse through options and make changes.

Enter playback mode.

While on playback:

Start slide show.

Show histograms.

Display pictures in an index fashion; from 5 to 20.

Rotate pictures.

Zoom in and zoom out.

Display a picture in picture while zooming in. This means that if you zoom on a picture, you can have the option to see the whole picture in a tiny square so you can see where youre zooming in relative to the whole picture OR just zoom in.

Access the Menu while on playback.

Delete pictures.

Browse through photos and menu options with the arrow keys and select with the middle cursor.
[ quote]

I'm still scratching my head, but it seems like the only useful functions are for firing the shutter and firing it with a 2s delay. However it would be nice if the remote control could provide a few extra buttons to access shooting functions, but that is probably too much to wish for.

turnstyle
Like?

Personally, I'd rather have a smaller remote with fewer buttons. That said, it's at least reasonable to suspect that the bigger controllers -- presumably with bigger batteries -- might throw off a stronger signal, and (if so) that would be a plus. Otherwise, imho, I'd rather have a smaller remote -- unless somebody points out why I'd actually want any of those additional buttons. So far, only shutter makes sense to me.

SeeRoy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,516Gear list
Like?

For me they could leave most of this cr*p out and enable manual exposure setting and it would be a lot more useful!
Roy

Karsten Meyer
Contributing MemberPosts: 720
Like?

Hi,

I got the one from http://stores.ebay.com/snapshotgz , item http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270683109320 called 15M Fernbedienung IR for Sony NEX 5 A55 A33 A550 A850.

Came with battery (coin cell), works fine. Only "issue": There is no switch for turning it generelly off. So when I put it into my bag, I put a remove the battery or put a piece of pater between the contacts. Many remotes may have this minor problem.

Only two buttons work for taking photographs: Shutter, and Shutter after 2 seconds. All other buttons work only when the camera is connected via a HDMI cable to a TV or monitor. But that's the design of the NEX - no other remote will work in anoter way.

Best Regards,
Karsten

turnstyle
Like?
In reply to Karsten Meyer, Dec 29, 2010

Just curious, why did you get that one, rather than:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200544201975
(same seller, but just the two buttons that actually do something)

Also, why do you want an "off" button? Is that because sometimes in your bag the button winds up getting pressed? Meaning, if it's sitting in a drawer, it doesn't drain?

Karsten Meyer wrote:

Hi,

I got the one from http://stores.ebay.com/snapshotgz , item http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270683109320 called 15M Fernbedienung IR for Sony NEX 5 A55 A33 A550 A850.

Came with battery (coin cell), works fine. Only "issue": There is no switch for turning it generelly off. So when I put it into my bag, I put a remove the battery or put a piece of pater between the contacts. Many remotes may have this minor problem.

Only two buttons work for taking photographs: Shutter, and Shutter after 2 seconds. All other buttons work only when the camera is connected via a HDMI cable to a TV or monitor. But that's the design of the NEX - no other remote will work in anoter way.

Best Regards,
Karsten

Karsten Meyer
Contributing MemberPosts: 720
Like?

turnstyle wrote:

Just curious, why did you get that one, rather than:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200544201975
(same seller, but just the two buttons that actually do something)

More buttons for the money?
Maybe I will never use the others, but mine is not bigger and costs the same.

Also, why do you want an "off" button? Is that because sometimes in your bag the button winds up getting pressed? Meaning, if it's sitting in a drawer, it doesn't drain?

I don't put it in a drawer, because I will never need such a thing at home. So I have it in my bag...

Regards,
Karsten

Stefan V
Senior MemberPosts: 1,340
Like?

You just need two buttons... shutter + 2sec-shutter. I would say get the simplest, cheapest, smallest remote you can find... You can get these for

camera2 wrote:

Anyone have experiences or suggestions for which one is a good buy? The main complaint I've read is that some of them have a limited range which could make group shots difficult.

Most of the remotes only have one or two buttons. The most fully featured one seems to look like this one, http://cgi.ebay.com/Remote-Control-Sony-RMT-DSLR1-A380-A330-A290-A230-/220710213732?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item33635a9864

Are there any other ones worth considering? I might get the original Sony RMT-DSLR1 but it is out of stock everywhere I've checked.

-- hide signature --

-- the owls are not what they seem

stillrds
Regular MemberPosts: 333
Like?

I bought one of these. Does the job.

An off button is irrelevant. The buttons need a pretty stiff press so it's a non-issue.

Karsten Meyer wrote:

Hi,

Best Regards,
Karsten

Sverker Ahrent
Regular MemberPosts: 429
Like?
In reply to stillrds, Dec 29, 2010
turnstyle
Like?
In reply to Sverker Ahrent, Dec 29, 2010

Just curious: is the 2 second shutter button on the remote so that you can take a picture of yourself not holding the remote? Is there any use for it other than that?

AFishEye
Regular MemberPosts: 315Gear list
Like?

A great thread with a lot of useful info, thanks!
I used the info to order one of the aforementioned remotes

AFishEye's gear list:AFishEye's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +8 more
willbfree
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sverker Ahrent, Dec 29, 2010

Sverker Ahrent wrote:

8 meters...15 meters...20 meters

I wonder if there's any difference between them.

All three use the same 2025 battery, and I'd bet they use the same IR light (i.e. the cheapest one available) so my guess would be they differ only in the level of BS that they are claiming for range.

willbfree's gear list:willbfree's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2
camera2
Like?

Thanks for the info guys. Battery life and range are probably the most useful attributes.

So the other buttons only work when hooked up via HDMI cable. Well that is good to know. Maybe that would be useful in certain situations while shooting while connected to a monitor, but I wouldn't know. I guess I'll just go for a simple two button design for now.

Karsten Meyer wrote:

willbfree
Like?
In reply to willbfree, Dec 29, 2010

Looking more closely at all the ebay and Amazon ads, it appears that as far as a 2-button version is concerned there's really only three models with different logos printed on them.

• Slim, with hole in the corner for affixing to a keychain (branded as no-name)

• Slim, without hole in corner (branded as Shoot, or as no-name)

• Slightly thicker, without hole in corner (branded as JJC or as Snapshot Tech Australia, etc)

The first 2 as I describe them are almost certainly from the same factory. There is ione Amazon review saying it doesn't work except within 10 feet, and only sometimes. There are others saying it works fine.

The 3rd one may be a different factory (but don't be mislead by the word "Australia" -- it is still Chinese). There are no negative reviews on Amazon, but that may just be because no one has tried it outdoors from a distance yet.

Best advice -- IF YOU BELIEVE IN NEGATIVE REVIEWS MORE THAN POSITIVE REVIEWS! -- based on this incomplete info is to try the slightly thicker (branded as JJC or as Snapshot Tech Australia) one.

Olympus PEN E-PL2
willbfree
Like?

I on the other hand hoped the positive reviews were correct, and ordered a slim one with keychain hole, on ebay, for $4.

Olympus PEN E-PL2
turnstyle
Like?

On Amazon, "slim without hole" seems to get good reviews, whereas "slim with hole" gets bad reviews -- just curious why you decided to consider them as the same?

willbfree wrote:

Looking more closely at all the ebay and Amazon ads, it appears that as far as a 2-button version is concerned there's really only three models with different logos printed on them.

• Slim, with hole in the corner for affixing to a keychain (branded as no-name)

• Slim, without hole in corner (branded as Shoot, or as no-name)

• Slightly thicker, without hole in corner (branded as JJC or as Snapshot Tech Australia, etc)

The first 2 as I describe them are almost certainly from the same factory. There is ione Amazon review saying it doesn't work except within 10 feet, and only sometimes. There are others saying it works fine.

The 3rd one may be a different factory (but don't be mislead by the word "Australia" -- it is still Chinese). There are no negative reviews on Amazon, but that may just be because no one has tried it outdoors from a distance yet.

Best advice -- IF YOU BELIEVE IN NEGATIVE REVIEWS MORE THAN POSITIVE REVIEWS! -- based on this incomplete info is to try the slightly thicker (branded as JJC or as Snapshot Tech Australia) one.

willbfree
Like?
In reply to turnstyle, Dec 30, 2010

Because I can easily imagine the actual manufacturer offering it to companies as either a 10 cent item without the hold, or an 11 cent item with the hole.

It looks like it comes from the same mind.

Whereas the other one looks like it comes from a different mind.

But this is only guesswork!

Olympus PEN E-PL2
willbfree
Like?
In reply to turnstyle, Dec 30, 2010

turnstyle wrote:

On Amazon, "slim without hole" seems to get good reviews, whereas "slim with hole" gets bad reviews

Unfortunately the bad review seems to be the only review that has tested from a distance. Some of the good reviews appear to be from people using it to reduce vibration from physically touching the shutter release, so those folks are probably only inches away. Other people don't say how far they were.

What we need is for some Amazon reviews that say whether they work from the advertised distances!

But for $4, I'm willing to find out myself.

Olympus PEN E-PL2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads