Dire Warning To Photographers !!!

Started Dec 22, 2010 | Discussions
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,395
Like?
Re: Keep some eggs in separate baskets
In reply to Cy Cheze, Dec 25, 2010

Yep he's a moron if he didn't carry-on his camera's...no way I would check any camera's...Tripod yes...Monopod yes...Camera's and accessories NO! I use Thinktank Streetwalkers one for my Canon 7D and lens and one for all me P&S's...
But why in the world wouldn't he use something like this?

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-international-v2-roller-camera-bag.aspx

What was his name? Igmo Ramus?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 29,096
Like?
Re: Keep some eggs in separate baskets
In reply to LTZ470, Dec 25, 2010

His name is Devin Graham. He had nearly $12,000 (USD) worth of equipment stolen. We all know that we would carry our memory and keep our expensive equipment close to us. I'm sure he knows that now too.

henryhscheng
Senior MemberPosts: 1,473
Like?
Re: Dire Warning To Photographers !!!
In reply to deleted_081301, Dec 25, 2010

That gives me an idea (which is off-topic): if your images are worth more than your gear, you are a pro; if your gears are worth more than your images, you are a hobbyist :D...

PurpleFringe
Regular MemberPosts: 382Gear list
Like?
Re: Dire Warning To Photographers !!!
In reply to JulesJ, Dec 25, 2010

JulesJ wrote:

I go abroad 7-10 times a year and am 60. I have had my baggage lost three times and delivered to me. I have never had anything stolen from a bag and until recently never used to lock them

Interesting, but largely irrelevant. There is that thing called probability.

PurpleFringe's gear list:PurpleFringe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
WBirch
Senior MemberPosts: 2,836
Like?
Got a link to this story?
In reply to JPG, Dec 25, 2010

JPG wrote:

This event was reported by local TV news.

Where?

Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 29,096
Like?
Re: Got a link to this story?
In reply to WBirch, Dec 25, 2010

Search for Devin Graham. He writes about it on his blog and KGW News Channel 8 in Portland, Oregon reported it. He did have his work backed up on hard drives.

JPG
JPG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203
Like?
Re: Another Mystry That Happened To Us:
In reply to GeraldW, Dec 25, 2010

We had just returned from a vacation in Puerto Vallarta. This was several years ago when everybody could lock their check-in baggage. When it came time unpack are bags, I noticed a small plastic polaroid camera in with my other things. I never saw it before and to this day we have always wondered how it ever got into my bag when it was locked. If somebody could put a polaroid camera in a locked bag, seems they could have done the same thing with a small parcel of drugs.

René Schuster
Forum ProPosts: 12,011
Like?
Re: Another Mystery That Happened To Us:

JPG wrote:

If somebody could put a polaroid camera in a locked bag, seems they could have done the same thing with a small parcel of drugs.

Indeed, hidden in a little plastic polaroid camera! What did you do with the cocaine?

René

Fish323
Senior MemberPosts: 1,082
Like?
US security = a thieves' charter

I would never put my camera gear in my check in luggage.

You aren't allowed to lock you bags in the US? That's insane! Just a thieves' charter. So what happens of you lock it? Do they refuse to check it? Do they check every bag and tell you to unlock it if it is locked?

In the UK they just pull your bag and hold it at the plane. They pulled my bag as they detected N20. They had a look, a chat, spoke to the captain and loaded the bag no problem.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads