Dire Warning To Photographers !!!

Started Dec 22, 2010 | Discussions
JPG
JPG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203
Like?
Dire Warning To Photographers !!!
Dec 22, 2010

This event was reported by local TV news.

It seems that a young photographer in Portland OR. has been making quite an excellent name for himself. He has been getting quite a few assignments and is very popular.

He was returning from an assingnment in Hawaii and had to change flights in San Francisco. When he got back to Portland, his luggage was not there, so he reported it as lost. What he had in what appeared to be a large duffle bag, was all of his photographic gear and all the images he had taken in Hawaii.

The security at the San Francisco airport found his duffle bag in the parking lot, -completely empty. Everything had been stolen.

To make matters worse, he was suppose to leave almost immediately for another assignment. However, now he has no equipment to work with and his insurance will not be able to help him in time and the work did in Hawaii is forever gone.

This is not the first time I have heard that airport baggage handlers are a bunch of thieves. Since you are no longer allowed to lock your check--in baggage, you are extreamly vulnerable to baggage handler thieves.

Carry your valuable stuff with you at all times. I don't know, but maybe this particular photographer had too much stuff to carry on, otherwise he should have known better.

Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,757
Like?
Re: Dire Warning To Photographers !!!
In reply to JPG, Dec 22, 2010

It seems to me that any working photographer who travels for his work would have backup equipment, and have taken appropriate shipping measures for valuable and irreplacable gear. Sounds like an unfortunate but valuable lesson to me.
--
I'm so bright, my father calls me son.

Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://glenbarrington.smugmug.com/
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,338Gear list
Like?
Dire?

You forgot about the bag under the restaurant seat, the kit left in the trunk, the notorious cities around the world, the home break-ins . . .

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

'Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't.' - Little Big Man

http://www.bobtullis.com

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +18 more
TechOutsider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,979
Like?

1) Why would you put your camera and lens in a duffel bag? Talk about lack of padding.

2) Why would you throw your duffel turned camera bag on a conveyor belt and watch it roll away? Talk about rough handling.

JPG wrote:

He was returning from an assingnment in Hawaii and had to change flights in San Francisco. When he got back to Portland, his luggage was not there, so he reported it as lost. What he had in what appeared to be a large duffle bag, was all of his photographic gear and all the images he had taken in Hawaii.

The security at the San Francisco airport found his duffle bag in the parking lot, -completely empty. Everything had been stolen

PeterToronto
Contributing MemberPosts: 679
Like?
In reply to TechOutsider, Dec 22, 2010

That's so unfortunate. Even if everything was insured, it's such an inconvenient pain to replace everything.

I received an Airport Airstream for Christmas this year exactly for that reason. My most important gear is with me on the plane at all times.

Peace
Peter

http://www.peteranthonyphotography.com

deleted_081301
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?
In reply to PeterToronto, Dec 22, 2010

even if you cant take your cameras as hand lugage .. only an idiot wouldnt remove the media cards and put them in your pocket (they take up little or no room ) and if all else is stolen you would still have your images

deleted_081301's gear list:deleted_081301's gear list
Olympus C-4000 Zoom Olympus PEN E-PL1s Olympus E-300 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +5 more
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,182Gear list
Like?
In reply to JPG, Dec 23, 2010

JPG wrote:

This event was reported by local TV news.

This is not the first time I have heard that airport baggage handlers are a bunch of thieves. Since you are no longer allowed to lock your check--in baggage, you are extreamly vulnerable to baggage handler thieves.

The biggest risk from airport handlers is having them plant drugs in your baggage after it leaves your possession.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
MaxTux
Regular MemberPosts: 435
Like?
flying professional photographers know...

The story sounds to me as highly improbable.

Anybody doing this stuff for living has learned by now:

When flying out, you keep the minimum of gear you'll need to complete the assignment with you as cabin luggage.

When flying back home, it makes sense to keep the most valuable pieces of the gear with you, but it is imperative to have the media with images separate from the gear, on person, and either have a backup of the images left with someone on the location, or mailed to yourself on DVD's back home.

MaxTux

digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 14,211Gear list
Like?
Something wrong with this story (nt)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
JPG
JPG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203
Like?
Re: Something wrong with this story (nt)
In reply to digitalshooter, Dec 23, 2010

I'm just recounting the news story so I can't vouch for it's accuracy. However he was being interviewed by the TV reporter and this is basically what he said.

Lee Jay
Forum ProPosts: 44,312Gear list
Like?
So, basically, he's a moron, right?

He checked all of his gear , and he checked the only copies of the images he took . So, he's a moron if the story is accurate.

I just did an out-of-town wedding. I carried all the equipment on both directions, and on the way back I had five copies of the images (cards, laptop, laptop backup hard drive and two PSDs) in three separate bags carried by two different people.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon ELPH 500 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +23 more
underpaid
Regular MemberPosts: 452Gear list
Like?
Re: So, basically, he's a moron, right?
In reply to Lee Jay, Dec 23, 2010

Don't know about the rest of the world, but now in the USA you can lock your checked baggage as long as you use a "TSA approved" lock. That means the TSA agents can unlock bags with their master keys, or whatever they call them.

ABA DABA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,960
Like?

This sounds like a fairy tale. In the first baggage handlers have been classified as notorist for pilferage even when bags where locked with those silly one key fits all years ago. Nothing new, common sense(lack of) never let your valubles out of your sight. Duffle bag for equipment, how dumb is that. Not keeping the cards with him. He was allowed a certain amount to carry on board???. Too bad because of his lack of common sense he lost everything IF in fact this is a true sorry. I have a tough time believing it.
--
ABA DABA

Londongal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,854
Like?

This is an unfortunate story, but I question that it was a baggage handler or an airport employee and that they "knew" what was inside. To me, that is speculative on the part of the documentary filmmaker (not a stills photographer) who had his gear stolen. Here's a link the story.

http://www.kptv.com/news/26200280/detail.html

My take on this is that it was a random theft and not targeted for the camera gear. This bag was seen circling the baggage carousal and not claimed; and then found empty in the parking garage. I think an unclaimed bag was stolen (by who knows?) and that particular thief got lucky and found camera gear inside instead of used clothing.

How sad it is that the lessons we learn cost so much.

Londongal

Little Pooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 644
Like?
In reply to deleted_081301, Dec 23, 2010

Exactly what I was thinking.

DickyUK wrote:

even if you cant take your cameras as hand lugage .. only an idiot wouldnt remove the media cards and put them in your pocket (they take up little or no room ) and if all else is stolen you would still have your images

-- hide signature --

Sony A55, A580, HDR-SR12, T100

Lenses: SAL70400G, Sigma18-250 OS HSM, Sigma 18-50 OS HSM, Maxxum 50mm 1.7, Lensbaby Composer

Londongal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,854
Like?
In reply to Little Pooter, Dec 23, 2010

The guy's got a blog and on it he writes he didn't lose any footage of his shoot, because he carried the hard drives on board. He lost the camera, lenses and sound gear and yet has a great attitude and is soon off to Tahiti to continue shooting...

I was inspired to look a little deeper because it sounded a bit off...

Londongal

beshannon
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,203Gear list
Like?

Sounds like an urban legend that occurs due to lack of common sense
--
http://brianshannon.smugmug.com/
http://brianshannonphotography.blogspot.com/

beshannon's gear list:beshannon's gear list
Sigma DP2s Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 32,887
Like?

I have never heard or been told that, and fly regularly and always lock my check in luggage. So does my wife.
jules

JPG wrote:

Since you are no longer allowed to lock your check--in baggage, you are extreamly vulnerable to baggage handler thieves.

Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,561Gear list
Like?
Re: So, basically, he's a moron, right?
In reply to underpaid, Dec 23, 2010

underpaid wrote:

Don't know about the rest of the world, but now in the USA you can lock your checked baggage as long as you use a "TSA approved" lock. That means the TSA agents can unlock bags with their master keys, or whatever they call them.

Considering all the video that has been released showing airport employees and TSA agents stealing equipment, it's so comforting to know they have access to this special little lock.

Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS D30 Nikon D2X +15 more
Cy Cheze
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028
Like?
Keep some eggs in separate baskets

Don't put all gear or work in any single place. It's OK to check-in bulky accessories as luggage for the plane's hold, since it is hard for thieves to conceal or "fence," and you probably can't carry it on-board anyway.

To put all work on a single 64GB card is not a good idea either. I would not even put all cards in a single pocket or wallet. They are too easy to lose and a mistake or failure could entail loss of too much.

Thieves are everywhere, not just in baggage handling. Owners everywhere are also absent-minded, over-trusting, or occasionally enebriated. You put a bag under the table or seat and ... guess what?

There is also something to be said for investing only in cheap devices or insuring the expensive ones. I can lose or drop a $400 camera and get over my tears soon enough. Loss of a $200 one justifies only a good shout of "O.S.!" But I'd not want to imagine losing $3k or more worth of equipment in a single fumble or mishap.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads