Made in China MANFROTTOs

Started Dec 20, 2010 | Discussions
mrsfixit
Senior MemberPosts: 1,401Gear list
Like?
Re: Right! Reduce all of us to equal poverty...
In reply to aus4ever, Dec 27, 2010

aus4ever wrote:

mrsfixit wrote:

aus4ever wrote:

To be fair, lots of things that we use daily would be a lot more expensive if they are not made in some 'Third World' countries.

Sorry, I don't buy that. It's propaganda. It's what the corporations and the government want you to believe, to justify their lack of ethics.

See how the price of big screen TVs has come down. Here in Sydney, a Sony 55-in LCD is selling for less than $1700. How much would it cost if it is manufactured in Japan?

How much would it cost if made in the USA...? Japan has a much higher cost of living than the USA.

And how much has the cost of... say... men's briefs- gone UP - way up- since moving production facilities to Honduras and Thailand?

I just bought some 3 packs for my husband. Prices ranged $14-21 for a 3 pack- made in Honduras. What do they cost to make there- twenty five cents a pair?

Give me a freaking break.

I remember when good old USA made Fruit of the Looms used to cost my husband less than half that much and they lasted for years. Now he gets 6 months from a pair of these overpriced shoddily made undies.

But I'm sure the CEO of the company got a nice fat bonus this year.

It's a damned disgrace. And I don't blame the consumer, because most of us would buy American if we could. But we aren't offered the choice, as nothing is made here any more.

Candice in PA

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,832
Like?
Re: Right! Reduce all of us to equal poverty...
In reply to mrsfixit, Dec 27, 2010

Nothing is made here anymore because the two biggest criminal elements (Unions and politicians) in this country have made billions and put this country out of business.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aus4ever
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,293Gear list
Like?
Re: Right! Reduce all of us to equal poverty...
In reply to mrsfixit, Dec 27, 2010

mrsfixit wrote:

aus4ever wrote:

mrsfixit wrote:

aus4ever wrote:

To be fair, lots of things that we use daily would be a lot more expensive if they are not made in some 'Third World' countries.

Sorry, I don't buy that. It's propaganda. It's what the corporations and the government want you to believe, to justify their lack of ethics.

See how the price of big screen TVs has come down. Here in Sydney, a Sony 55-in LCD is selling for less than $1700. How much would it cost if it is manufactured in Japan?

How much would it cost if made in the USA...? Japan has a much higher cost of living than the USA.

If it is cheaper, they would have made it in the USA.

And how much has the cost of... say... men's briefs- gone UP - way up- since moving production facilities to Honduras and Thailand?

I just bought some 3 packs for my husband. Prices ranged $14-21 for a 3 pack- made in Honduras. What do they cost to make there- twenty five cents a pair?

The price is similar here.

Give me a freaking break.

You know what I said last time when someone ask me to give him a break.

I remember when good old USA made Fruit of the Looms used to cost my husband less than half that much and they lasted for years. Now he gets 6 months from a pair of these overpriced shoddily made undies.

But I'm sure the CEO of the company got a nice fat bonus this year.

It's a damned disgrace. And I don't blame the consumer, because most of us would buy American if we could. But we aren't offered the choice, as nothing is made here any more.

I share your grievance, the high cost of living is also unbearable here.
--
Australia, home forever.

 aus4ever's gear list:aus4ever's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chato
Forum ProPosts: 43,710Gear list
Like?
The proof is in the technology
In reply to aus4ever, Dec 28, 2010

The various trade agreements such as NAFTA, CAFTA, and WTO enforcement all all part of International Corporate plans to be able to find the cheapest wages anywhere in the where, and whith no impediment to charging the most for these goods.

These Corporations take their profits from the West, and invest it in high tech machinary in Third World countries. Naturally, they tell us it's the fault" of greedy unions. But plain and simple it's the greed of these companies. My example of Computer keyboards should have proved that. Modern machinary, with Union wages, and we still have the Cheapest keyboards.

Moreover, as another posted has said, even if a company WANTS to stay in America, they can't because they can't compete with these slave wages.

The ludicrous and the ironic meet here, because right wing propaganda warns us of a leftist world government, while the real world government is the WTO, unelected and anonymous they decide our economic and political fates.

Dave

aus4ever wrote:

mrsfixit wrote:

aus4ever wrote:

mrsfixit wrote:

aus4ever wrote:

To be fair, lots of things that we use daily would be a lot more expensive if they are not made in some 'Third World' countries.

Sorry, I don't buy that. It's propaganda. It's what the corporations and the government want you to believe, to justify their lack of ethics.

See how the price of big screen TVs has come down. Here in Sydney, a Sony 55-in LCD is selling for less than $1700. How much would it cost if it is manufactured in Japan?

How much would it cost if made in the USA...? Japan has a much higher cost of living than the USA.

If it is cheaper, they would have made it in the USA.

And how much has the cost of... say... men's briefs- gone UP - way up- since moving production facilities to Honduras and Thailand?

I just bought some 3 packs for my husband. Prices ranged $14-21 for a 3 pack- made in Honduras. What do they cost to make there- twenty five cents a pair?

The price is similar here.

Give me a freaking break.

You know what I said last time when someone ask me to give him a break.

I remember when good old USA made Fruit of the Looms used to cost my husband less than half that much and they lasted for years. Now he gets 6 months from a pair of these overpriced shoddily made undies.

But I'm sure the CEO of the company got a nice fat bonus this year.

It's a damned disgrace. And I don't blame the consumer, because most of us would buy American if we could. But we aren't offered the choice, as nothing is made here any more.

I share your grievance, the high cost of living is also unbearable here.
--
Australia, home forever.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,781Gear list
Like?
Re: Made in China MANFROTTOs
In reply to nbercasio, Dec 28, 2010

Most Lamborghini parts are made in China and SE Asia. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Who cares? If the state of the Chinese Vs. Italian economy is any sign ...China makes some good stuff.

nbercasio wrote:

I always buy the Italian made Manfrotto products because of its quality, materials used and workmanship so I was shock to see Chinese made Manfrottos. I know it is just business but next time you go to the store, just compare the differences between the two. It is like buying Lamborghini Made in China!

-- hide signature --

Life is good!

 happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chris J R
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
Re: Made in China MANFROTTOs
In reply to allgoo19, Dec 28, 2010

Colnago's, just like Pinarello's, are made in Taiwan and not China. Much higher quality of production in Taiwan in general

allgoo19 wrote:

"Lamborghini Made in China", that's certainly a possibility in the future from the way things are going.

Colnago(highend Italian bicycle maker) have been sending their orders to China for their bicycles for quite sometime.

nbercasio wrote:

I always buy the Italian made Manfrotto products because of its quality, materials used and workmanship so I was shock to see Chinese made Manfrottos. I know it is just business but next time you go to the store, just compare the differences between the two. It is like buying Lamborghini Made in China!

-- hide signature --

Life is good!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mrsfixit
Senior MemberPosts: 1,401Gear list
Like?
Re: The proof is in the technology
In reply to Chato, Dec 28, 2010

Chato wrote:

The various trade agreements such as NAFTA, CAFTA, and WTO enforcement all all part of International Corporate plans to be able to find the cheapest wages anywhere in the where, and whith no impediment to charging the most for these goods.

Thank you. You hit the nail on the head.

These Corporations take their profits from the West, and invest it in high tech machinary in Third World countries. Naturally, they tell us it's the fault" of greedy unions. But plain and simple it's the greed of these companies. My example of Computer keyboards should have proved that. Modern machinary, with Union wages, and we still have the Cheapest keyboards.

I'll give you another example- printer ink.

We all know how high the cost of printer ink is. The NY Times did an article a while back that estimated the cost at over $10,000 a gallon.

So when I go to the store, and buy my very expensive HP ink cartridges, I see on the package they are made in Malaysia.

With the profits those SOB's are making, you would think they could at least make them here.

Moreover, as another posted has said, even if a company WANTS to stay in America, they can't because they can't compete with these slave wages.

It comes down to the bottom line, nothing more. They can exploit the workers in third world countries by paying slave wages, and they can poison their environments because there is no regulation.

They save tons of money, and their profits increase to levels that are truly staggering.

It's no longer acceptable to a company to make a decent product, and sell it for a reasonable price. If 100% profit is good, then 200, 400, 1000, or even 10,000% profit is even better.

The ludicrous and the ironic meet here, because right wing propaganda warns us of a leftist world government, while the real world government is the WTO, unelected and anonymous they decide our economic and political fates.

Don't forget the IMF and the World Bank in this diabolical equation....

But not to worry, as more and more illegals pour across our borders, they'll have the legions of slaves they're looking for willing to work for next to nothing. Then they'll start making stuff here again.

But unfortunately, since we Americans are used to a somewhat better lifestyle, we won't be able to survive on those wages and we'll probably all wind up living in Hooverville's by then.

Candice in PA

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Torch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,978
Like?
Re: Made in China MANFROTTOs
In reply to nbercasio, Dec 29, 2010

I tend to agree and will not touch Manfrotto again since a plastic clamp blew out.
Plastic under pressure and POOFFF !

Replacement? Don't be foolish. Will they replace a camera too and no arguments?
Fortunately it happend during setup so only the tripod is garbage (recycled).

Too bad it was a lower priced ball head, but there is better stuff from Velbon which has become my best tripod and it has levels. I don't need a bigger more expensive tripod to double as a construction crane.

While you can see some very good quality coming from China there is no control on what products get it and which don't and for how long. To the eye everything looks good like knockoffs.

Watch out for the people who say they will move your buisiness to China while you are on vacation and save you money at the same time.

-- hide signature --

Torch

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aus4ever
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,293Gear list
Like?
Re: Made in China MANFROTTOs
In reply to Torch, Dec 29, 2010

Torch wrote:

Watch out for the people who say they will move your buisiness to China while you are on vacation and save you money at the same time.

I am equally wary of people who advocate international free trade and open sky whenever it suits them.

-- hide signature --

Australia, home forever.

 aus4ever's gear list:aus4ever's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GMack
Senior MemberPosts: 2,928
Like?
USA made Versa Tripod
In reply to nbercasio, Dec 29, 2010

Weighs 3.2 pounds and supports 40 pounds and built in the USA if thta's what you want. Downside is they go up to $1,800 too, but nice attachment pieces even for the new D7000.

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs015/1102441290359/archive/1103526627343.html

or

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Index.aspx?code=46&key=fr

They sell some 'cheaper' Gitzos too.

Mack

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads