G12 and P7000, we walk together :D

Started Dec 20, 2010 | Discussions
didyou
Regular MemberPosts: 340
Like?
G12 and P7000, we walk together :D
Dec 20, 2010

Finally, I had the opportunity to use both together in the next few weeks

I will try to directly compare the performance,..IQ..problems..etc in real world

of course its all on the basis of my habit of taking pictures, so just be my opinion only..

I will need the help of friends here in order to give advice so that I can be objective testing

didyou
Like?
Re: G12 and P7000, we walk together :D
In reply to didyou, Dec 20, 2010

G12..

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
didyou
Like?

P7000...

fwampler
Senior MemberPosts: 1,365Gear list
Like?
Weird post. nt
-- hide signature --

Fred

fwampler's gear list:fwampler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +8 more
joharis
Regular MemberPosts: 419Gear list
Like?

What we see is that both cameras can take good pictures. For a comparison test it was better to take the same pictures with both cameras at the same settings.

Maybe you want to share your thoughts about the differences in handling the cameras and the performance in focussing, exposure, speed etc.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joharis/

joharis's gear list:joharis's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
didyou
Like?
Re: Weird post. nt
In reply to fwampler, Dec 20, 2010

fwampler wrote:

-- hide signature --

Fred

sorry if odd .. maybe because my english is bad...

I only meant to share experience, I happened to have the opportunity to use the G12 and P7000 for a few days / weeks to come ..
start fromtomorrow I can begin to direct compare both cameras
thank your comments

didyou
Like?
In reply to joharis, Dec 20, 2010

joharis wrote:

What we see is that both cameras can take good pictures. For a comparison test it was better to take the same pictures with both cameras at the same settings.

Maybe you want to share your thoughts about the differences in handling the cameras and the performance in focussing, exposure, speed etc.
--

yes I mean like that
probably because the picture above was the one who actually create confusion
The picture I took with the G12 and P7000 but not in the same time

This time I happened to be wearing two cameras simultaneously in a couple days/ weeks to come, therefore I intend to directly compare [handling focusing .. .. .. etc]

joharis
Regular MemberPosts: 419Gear list
Like?

didyou wrote:

joharis wrote:

--

yes I mean like that
probably because the picture above was the one who actually create confusion
The picture I took with the G12 and P7000 but not in the same time

This time I happened to be wearing two cameras simultaneously in a couple days/ weeks to come, therefore I intend to directly compare [handling focusing .. .. .. etc]

That would be great, thank you in advance.
--

joharis's gear list:joharis's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
Don Fraser
Senior MemberPosts: 1,284
Like?
Re: Weird post. nt

I think it's a very interesting idea and an attempt to be helpful to forum members.

Thanks for your efforts so far.

I look forward to any similar pictures you may be able to make, as well as your comments.

ddan
Contributing MemberPosts: 673
Like?
In reply to didyou, Dec 21, 2010

I had a P7000 for a short while. It could not walk and take photos at the same time!

Maybe the 1.1 firmware upgrade has helped the P7000?

mike bustad
Forum ProPosts: 10,216Gear list
Like?
Looks clear to me G12 wins NT
-- hide signature --

Tanglefoot47
Tulalip Wa.

mike bustad's gear list:mike bustad's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16
mike bustad
Forum ProPosts: 10,216Gear list
Like?
Not weird

Don't worry I think the post is just fine and nothing to be sorry for.

didyou wrote:

fwampler wrote:

-- hide signature --

Fred

sorry if odd .. maybe because my english is bad...

I only meant to share experience, I happened to have the opportunity to use the G12 and P7000 for a few days / weeks to come ..
start fromtomorrow I can begin to direct compare both cameras
thank your comments

-- hide signature --

Tanglefoot47
Tulalip Wa.

mike bustad's gear list:mike bustad's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16
RickS
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,576
Like?

Your comparison intentions got my attention, but what I saw were some very nice shots. You've got a good eye and I enjoyed your photos a lot.

I look forward to seeing some more.

Rick

didyou wrote:

Finally, I had the opportunity to use both together in the next few weeks

I will try to directly compare the performance,..IQ..problems..etc in real world

of course its all on the basis of my habit of taking pictures, so just be my opinion only..

I will need the help of friends here in order to give advice so that I can be objective testing

Stephen 06
Senior MemberPosts: 1,569
Like?
I own both.......

Bought the P7000 to replace my G9 for concert photography. Even after the firmware installed on the Nikon, I still wouldn't use it as an everyday camera outside of concert photograhy. It's too frustrating to use compared to the G12. Here are my few thoughts:

Performance is still the main issue. IQ is about evens. While the Raw write times have improved on the P7000, it is still nearly twice as slow.

When you go from playback to shooting by half pressing the shutter, it takes about two seconds longer for the Nikon to get it's LCD to brighten up to view the scene in front of you.

AF is about on a par now. But going into the menus is real slow on the Nikon. And you will have to do so often as the ISOs are buried in there. The ISO Auto implementation is ancient and what you would have found on the 3 year old Fuji F30. Even the Fuji F31 had a ISO Auto 800 and 1600. The Nikon stops at ISO400. The G12's ISO Auto is a lot more usable in real world shooting and now you can have a say in how fast it bumbs it up too.

The G12's LCD is cool being articulated, but I find the P7000's OVF a lot better to use for framing. Battery life is pretty good on both cams, so no problems here. The two areas where the Nikon trouces the G12 (and the reason I bought it) is the extra reach out to 200mm which is quite sharp, and for it's video. The video is pretty good, and you can zoom and AF during video which is excellent. The G12's video is a joke by comparison and so was the G9's. And the P7000 was about 1 stop better in high ISO performance over the G9 which spelled the end of this lovely camera for me.

There are my thoughts in a nutshell. I bought the P7000 first, with concert photography in mind. I waited to see if they would fix the performance issues with a firmware to use the Nikon as an everyday cam also. But after downloading the firmware, I found that they only addressed half the issues in performance. The slow access to the menus, the slow recovery times from playback, the bad ISO Auto implemtation, the poor custom and funtion button, left me real frustrated to use the P7000 as a day to day camera. Hence why I bought the G12.

If you want a good everyday walkaround camera and are willing to give up the 140-200mm range....it's hard to beat the G12. Probably one of the best G's I have used to date having owned the G7,9, and 10.
--
Stephen

didyou
Like?
Re: I own both.......
In reply to Stephen 06, Dec 21, 2010

First pict to compare.. indoor available light..with gorillapod

JPEG SOOC, Aperture priority, IS/VR set to OFF while other setting are factory default, excpet i set NR in P7000 to LOW [in G12 no option for NR]
but i made "little" mistake

default setting JPEG in G12 is at Highest setting [FINE], while default JPEG in P7000 is NORM, [ the highest setting in P7000 is FINE].. i realize after i finished take photo
FYI..the highest setting in P7000 is about 4-4,5mb while in G12 is about 2-3mb

All use tripod with 2sec timer

G12 Indoor, available light ,[JPEG SOOC, FINE Quality]

F2.8 ISO 100

F4.5 ISO 400

F8 ISO 800

P7000 Indoor, available light [JPEG SOOC, NORMAL Quality]

F2.8 ISO 100

F4.5 ISO 400

F8 ISO 800

as already written in the reviews on various websites
AWB from G12 and P700 in particular on "indoor" looks too "magenta" for G12,
while the P7000 looks too "yellow"
colors look more accurate from P7000 compared to its original state

please visits for noise and sharpness of characters, each have characteristics

dav
dav
Regular MemberPosts: 304
Like?
In reply to Stephen 06, Dec 21, 2010

Your comments are very helpful. Thank you.
--
dav

didyou
Like?
In reply to dav, Dec 21, 2010

ddan wrote:

I had a P7000 for a short while. It could not walk and take photos at the same time!

Maybe the 1.1 firmware upgrade has helped the P7000?

yes firmware 1.1 make improvement in P7000

mike bustad wrote:

Don't worry I think the post is just fine and nothing to be sorry for.

thanks

RickS wrote:

Your comparison intentions got my attention, but what I saw were some very nice shots. You've got a good eye and I enjoyed your photos a lot.

I look forward to seeing some more.

Rick

thanks
booth are very good camera,
I only intend to share information about the character of these cameras

didyou
Like?

Stephen 06 wrote:

Bought the P7000 to replace my G9 for concert photography. Even after the firmware installed on the Nikon,

I still wouldn't use it as an everyday camera outside of concert photograhy.
It's too frustrating to use compared to the G12. Here are my few thoughts:

Performance is still the main issue. IQ is about evens. While the Raw write times have improved on the P7000, it is still nearly twice as slow.

yes, P7000 still slow compare to G12.. but IQ i think bit better than G12
RAW write times in real world i dont think does not seem slow compare to G12,

When you go from playback to shooting by half pressing the shutter, it takes about two seconds longer for the Nikon to get it's LCD to brighten up to view the scene in front of you.

yes..this is right and real pain for P7000

AF is about on a par now. But going into the menus is real slow on the Nikon. And you will have to do so often as the ISOs are buried in there.

AF in good light P7000 much faster than G12, but in low light/less contrast situation AF G12 much more reliable

The ISO Auto implementation is ancient and what you would have found on the 3 year old Fuji F30. Even the Fuji F31 had a ISO Auto 800 and 1600. The Nikon stops at ISO400.

The G12's ISO Auto is a lot more usable in real world shooting and now you can have a say in how fast it bumbs it up too.

i think its wrong..P7000 has auto iso from 100-200, 100-400, 100-800, 100-1600, and Hi iso [6400]
please read in manual page 74:
"AUTO ISO" in P7000 basically is 100-800 and "HI ISO" actually is 100-1600

The G12's LCD is cool being articulated, but I find the P7000's OVF a lot better to use for framing. Battery life is pretty good on both cams,

so no problems here. The two areas where the Nikon trouces the G12 (and the reason I bought it) is the extra reach out to 200mm which is quite sharp,

and for it's video. The video is pretty good, and you can zoom and AF during video which is excellent. The G12's video is a joke by comparison and so was the G9's.

And the P7000 was about 1 stop better in high ISO performance over the G9 which spelled the end of this lovely camera for me.

agree, OVF in P7000 much better than G12..LCD P7000 much better too in manual AF mode because have more resolution..

and most important ..color from LCD is more accurate than G12 if we compare with the original state..this is really2 important for me

There are my thoughts in a nutshell. I bought the P7000 first, with concert photography in mind. I waited to see if they would fix the performance issues with a firmware to use the Nikon as an everyday cam also.

But after downloading the firmware, I found that they only addressed half the issues in performance. The slow access to the menus, the slow recovery times from playback,

the bad ISO Auto implemtation, the poor custom and funtion button, left me real frustrated to use the P7000 as a day to day camera. Hence why I bought the G12.

If you want a good everyday walkaround camera and are willing to give up the 140-200mm range....it's hard to beat the G12. Probably one of the best G's I have used to date having owned the G7,9, and 10.
--
Stephen

G12 is more mature camera than P7000 [ look at the history]

but for me P7000 is nice comeback for nikon in prosumer/pocket class, because so far they are very weak in this category

Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,975
Like?
In reply to Stephen 06, Dec 22, 2010

Yes, my feelings as well. The P7000's image quality is great for this level camera as is the G12. The P7000 actually has more customization and a better grip/feel to me but when it comes to consistent performance including focus, ease of use, etc the G12 is better. If you are looking for an all purpose camera the G12 is better.

Stephen 06
Senior MemberPosts: 1,569
Like?
In reply to didyou, Dec 22, 2010

didyou wrote:

i think its wrong..P7000 has auto iso from 100-200, 100-400, 100-800, 100-1600, and Hi iso [6400]
please read in manual page 74:
"AUTO ISO" in P7000 basically is 100-800 and "HI ISO" actually is 100-1600

Well I am guilty of doing more actual testing than reading manuals. And no matter what way you cut it, you don't have an ISO100-1600 that will work in one step or setting like on the G12. The Nikon will only work in two steps .....hence "ancient".

Example: The only ISO auto that will reach to ISO1600 is "HI ISO". But if you then go from indoors to outdoors to a bright sunny day.....it won't start off at ISO100. It will choose a high ISO of something like ISO320 or 400, if I recall correctly. That has been my experience.

And the "AUTO" setting which will use ISO100 on a bright sunny day, can only be forced to ISO800 in pure darkness....so that is not totally usable indoors either. That's what makes ISO Auto on the P7000 ancient. It means you will have to go to the menus and adjust between at least two settings for outdoor shooting and indoor shooting. For me, that defeats the purpose and you might as well get into the habit of setting the ISO manually because you might forget to swap over from "HI ISO" to ordinary "AUTO" when you go outdoors.

On the G12, one setting will cover the lot, and you can control how fast the ISO will raise in relation to the shutter speed too. Leagues ahead IMO in actual usage.

G12 is more mature camera than P7000 [ look at the history]

but for me P7000 is nice comeback for nikon in prosumer/pocket class, because so far they are very weak in this category

That's still no excuse for not getting it on par with what's out there. They are not a novice camera company. They know what it entails to make a good camera and have the ability to do so. Even the likes of Samsung and Panasonic who both were ridiculed in the past as camera producers....can produce class leading cameras in the LX5 (which I also have) and EX1. Out of the three cameras, if I was going for a stroll or going away for the weekend....the Nikon would be the last camera I would dream of taking. Only for the 200mm range for concerts and the good video, I wouldn't have even given the Nikon a sniff as an enthusiast pocket camera.

-- hide signature --

Stephen

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads