Vistek in Canada and Olympus?

Started Dec 5, 2010 | Discussions
Jan Welke
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Vistek in Canada and Olympus?
Dec 5, 2010

Is it just me, or did Vistek just drop Olympus altogether overnight? For awhile they had E5's in stock, then yesterday it was listed as out of stock, and now there are no Olympus cameras even listed on the site. I can't even find the Pen's.

Jeff Tokayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,953
Like?
Re: Vistek in Canada and Olympus?
In reply to Jan Welke, Dec 5, 2010

Something similar happened with Henry's a few months ago. They blamed it on a database glitch.

BTW, lenses are still showing http://www.vistek.ca/results/CameraLenses/camlenses/Olympus/Camera-Lenses.aspx

Jeff.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Scanlon
Regular MemberPosts: 191
Like?
In reply to Jeff Tokayer, Dec 5, 2010

The Henry's close to me only has two Pen cameras, and no other Oly cameras or lenses. Up to 6 months ago, they used to have all of them. They said they probably won't be getting any, including the E5, unless someone wants to order one in. Not a good situation for Oly users who want to buy locally.

Darlene_Y
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
In reply to Scanlon, Dec 5, 2010

I have always found Vistek an exercise in frustration in Canada. I ordered a simple lens baby kit and it took 3 weeks to come from Toronto, it was supposed to take 4 days. We have a Vistek now and just down the street is McBain. Every time I go into Vistek the sales push is overwhelming and getting answers about Olympus a pain. I love McBain for Olympus. The service is always excellent and the older staff are all very familiar with Olympus. I gave up on Vistek long ago.

jimmybob
Regular MemberPosts: 150Gear list
Like?
Henry's is just as bad....
In reply to Darlene_Y, Dec 5, 2010

I was at the Henry's in Winnipeg checking out a few of the newer SLR cameras (K5,D7000 60D). They actually had a new E5. He was nice enough to take it out of the box and let me take a few samples shots with it....until we realized that they didn't have a SINGLE LENS in stock. Not a one(Sigma included). I'm not sure whats happening to Olympus in Canada, but it's not good - at least the 4/3 aspect.
--
WSSA# 280
James

jimmybob's gear list:jimmybob's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Paul Auclair
Senior MemberPosts: 2,947Gear list
Like?
Vistek and Dons Photo...
In reply to Darlene_Y, Dec 5, 2010

and mall outlets under alll names "not going to stock Olympus DSLRs anymore" is what I received as a standard answer to E5 inquiries. When I phoned around re:E5 it surely seemed as only McBains' main store was going to have an E5 in stock for all of Edmonton.

I phoned Don's Photo (south side) re: something else and once more and inquired about an E5. Same answer "Not going to stock Oly DSLRs anymore. Then they "checked the computer" and saw two E5s at their west side location selling for 1599.99. Go figure?

Now I see in Vistek's latest flyer an E5. Go Figure? I assume if questioned they (Edmonton) will state that the flyer is general to all Canada stores and the E5 is only available in Ontario store(s). Or maybe they(Edmonton) decided to order some in cuz of all the buzz (if there is buzz?).
I never bothered to call them.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Auclair's gear list:Paul Auclair's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +19 more
focal point
Regular MemberPosts: 379
Like?

Yeah i noticed this earlier myself, looks to be back in order again.

GBC
GBC
Contributing MemberPosts: 810
Like?
Order from Saneal or Mcbains

The Saneal by my house has every Olympus lens in stock. Really.

They have a long history with Olympus and get all their stock shipped from the US direct instead of having to deal with the Canadian distribution.

Vistek is a nice place to look at lighting and printers, but I wouldn't buy anything from them I didn't know I wanted before I walked in the door, and I couldn't buy elsewhere.

Jon Stock
Senior MemberPosts: 1,605Gear list
Like?
Re: Vistek and Dons Photo...
In reply to Paul Auclair, Dec 6, 2010

Paul Auclair wrote:

and mall outlets under alll names "not going to stock Olympus DSLRs anymore" is what I received as a standard answer to E5 inquiries. When I phoned around re:E5 it surely seemed as only McBains' main store was going to have an E5 in stock for all of Edmonton.

I phoned Don's Photo (south side) re: something else and once more and inquired about an E5. Same answer "Not going to stock Oly DSLRs anymore. Then they "checked the computer" and saw two E5s at their west side location selling for 1599.99. Go figure?

Now I see in Vistek's latest flyer an E5. Go Figure? I assume if questioned they (Edmonton) will state that the flyer is general to all Canada stores and the E5 is only available in Ontario store(s). Or maybe they(Edmonton) decided to order some in cuz of all the buzz (if there is buzz?).
I never bothered to call them.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

I called Don's too. They said they had several on preorder for people but they would not bring any in for stock because there was no demand (?).

Vistek is almost always useless. They never have things in stock and things that are ordered in are non returnable.

Vistek do have chinese knock-off tripods in stock but mcBains is so much better to deal with.

http://www.mcbaincamera.com/

-- hide signature --

Jon

Jon Stock's gear list:Jon Stock's gear list
Epson R-D1x Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +13 more
gviliunas
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
I'm tired of paying the "Canadian $ Penalty"
In reply to Jon Stock, Dec 6, 2010

The US$ and CAD are nearly at par. The big boys in the US seem to be able to make money on Oly gear. What is the problem here? They are still selling e-420s as the latest and greatest here at Best Buy. I think that the message that the retailers in Canada are sending us is, "If you want good selection and price then Shop Mail Order from the US." Even with shipping, prices are usually as cheap or cheaper in the US.

It's even better if you live in Vancouver. Order mail order from BH or Adorama and ship to a mail-drop across the border. You still pay the HST but their is no brokerage cost, shipping is free to the mail drop. You only pay $3-4 for the mail drop service and a 20-mile car trip.

For an even better value, order your gear and then take you family for a well-deserved trip to Seattle. Enjoy the family R&R, pick up your new Oly gear :), and pocket your HST exemption as you cross the border ($50/person after 48-hr / $700/person after 6 days).

I would like to buy locally.....but I don't want to be stupid

gviliunas's gear list:gviliunas's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Mike_PEAT
Forum ProPosts: 10,612Gear list
Like?
nt)I see E-5 and PENs on Vistek website!
In reply to Jan Welke, Dec 6, 2010

nt=No Text

Jan Welke wrote:

and now there are no Olympus cameras even listed on the site. I can't even find the Pen's.

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
Jan Welke
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Re: nt)I see E-5 and PENs on Vistek website!
In reply to Mike_PEAT, Dec 6, 2010

Ok, they're back. Weird. E5 still out of stock though.

pris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,186
Like?
No penalty for E-5
In reply to gviliunas, Dec 6, 2010

Much easier and even cheaper solution would be to buy from McBain, no? 1649 and one tax, no shipping charges.

Rob MacLennan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,871Gear list
Like?
In reply to Scanlon, Dec 6, 2010

It's rather sad. I bought my first Olympus DSLR from Henry's in Brampton, who have always had a few bodies and a good selection of lenses on-hand. I recently went in for some general supplies and found that they had rearranged the floorspace, a little, and that all of the bodies except a E-PL1 seemed to be gone.

Fortunately I work a 10 minute walk from their store in downtown Toronto, which is where I generally order in stuff via the corporate rep anyway.

Scanlon wrote:

The Henry's close to me only has two Pen cameras, and no other Oly cameras or lenses. Up to 6 months ago, they used to have all of them. They said they probably won't be getting any, including the E5, unless someone wants to order one in. Not a good situation for Oly users who want to buy locally.

-- hide signature --

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/

D620L -> D540 -> C750UZ -> E-500 -> E-510 -> E-3 + E-30 + E-P2

Rob MacLennan's gear list:Rob MacLennan's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +13 more
Jeff Tokayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,953
Like?
Re: No penalty for E-5
In reply to pris, Dec 6, 2010

When the time comes, I'll go over to my nearest Henry's (too close for comfort), and have them price-match the lowest offering. I've done it many times before.

Jeff.

pris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,186
Like?
Re: No penalty for E-5
In reply to Jeff Tokayer, Dec 6, 2010

Yup, that's my favorite approach too, and if they can't be talked down to full price match I don't mind paying a little more usually (say, 20-30 bucks, for the convenience of having that thing in my hands right away and ability to exchange it right in the store if something's wrong with this copy).

Paul Auclair
Senior MemberPosts: 2,947Gear list
Like?
$450...
In reply to pris, Dec 6, 2010

difference on the 35-100F2.
even after US rebate program expires the difference will still be $250

after seeing what the E5 is capable of I decided to seriously consider adding SHG to the 'collection'. my first choice is the 35 100 F2.

yes i could order from a US retailer (rebate may not qualify ?) or have my brother (lives in US) pick it up for me but i'd rather buy locally for obvious reasons.
$450 is way too much to swallow or be expected to swallow.

I can't imagine Olympus does not know of the internet and how some people manage to use it as an aid in comparing products and prices. This $450 price discrepancy(?) is insulting. I'm really quite put off by this issue.
maybe I'll just stick with the 12-60.
--
Thanks,
Paul

Paul Auclair's gear list:Paul Auclair's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads