D7000 Sharpness, Lots of Samples, High ISO, mini review, etc #1

Started Dec 5, 2010 | Discussions
Ray Soares
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,064Gear list
Like?
D7000 Sharpness, Lots of Samples, High ISO, mini review, etc #1
Dec 5, 2010

Just finished a bunch of really good tests on my new D7000:

In one phrase: It's fast, nice as my old D300, incredible auto-focus and high-iso, and is SHARP!

Some pics for start:

Nikon 24mm f1.4 G no fine-tuning:

A 100% center crop -> see white dot on jeans:

Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRII no fine tuning:

100% crop:

Desert rose w/ 24 mm f1.4:

100% crop:

The dog w/ 24 mm:

crop at 100%-> REALLY AMAZING:

Sharpness settings : RAW lossless w/ all PP done in NX2 for now->
Really sharp w/ 24mm and 70-200mm lenses.

In camera sharpening set to +4 and later a highpass sharpening in NX2 at 2,75/80% luminance channel only.
Rezized for web and apllied a final Unsharp mask in NX2 at 25,2,0

The samples look a little too oversharpened for my taste but they're ok for what I want to show you.

I probably will use +4 in camera and later apply a highpass sharpening at 2,5 and 70%, only at the luminance channel, overlay mask.

Full set of pics at: http://www.pbase.com/raysoares/d7000

I'll share ALL my settings later if anyone is interested.

Ray Soares

See my pictures at http://www.pbase.com/raysoares

Ray Soares's gear list:Ray Soares's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +1 more
Ray Soares
Like?
D7000 Sharpness, Lots of Samples, High ISO, mini review, etc #2
In reply to Ray Soares, Dec 5, 2010

Some real life pics:
Orquid#1:
24mm f1.4 at f1.4, w/ Exposure compensation +0,7EV, iso 100

Mel at ISO 1250:

24mm f1.4 at f5.6, w/ Exposure compensation +0,7EV, iso 1250, Noide reduction to Low, and later in PP Topaz Denoise 5
Focus point at her right eye obviously

Luca at ISO 1000:

-- hide signature --

Ray Soares

Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ray Soares
Like?
D7000 Sharpness, Lots of Samples, High ISO, mini review, etc #3

Some landscape with a Polarizer filter.

And a test HDR inside home ( 3 pics w/ +- 2 EV bracketing merged in Photomatix):

-- hide signature --

Ray Soares

dougster1979
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?
Re: D7000 Sharpness, Lots of Samples, High ISO, mini review, etc #3

Great now i have to find £1400 to buy that lens. Great pics , shows what the D7000 is capable, impressed, especially the landscape, wow!

sphericube
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
Re: D7000 Sharpness, Lots of Samples, High ISO, mini review, etc #3

The dynamic range of this new sensor is impressive: details captured on the black dog with bright background !

ravinj
Regular MemberPosts: 448Gear list
Like?
Re: D7000 Sharpness, Lots of Samples, High ISO, mini review, etc #1

Thanks for sharing.

Would like to see some landscape shots if possible. I am still deciding which lenses to get for my D7000. For now, I am using a some of the older primes that I had from my earlier D40 rig.

ravinj's gear list:ravinj's gear list
Leica S2 Sony Alpha 7 Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +4 more
joaquin100
Senior MemberPosts: 1,538Gear list
Like?

Ray Soares wrote:

I'll share ALL my settings later if anyone is interested.

Ray Soares

Can you post them please? iam interested and assume many more.

Thanx

Joaquin

Ray Soares
Like?
#4 Settings!!!

General settings and tips:

1- Shoot in A mode always thinking about the right DOF- depth of field that is nice for that pic: let's say-> f1.4 to 4.0 to portraits
Landscape -> f8 to f 9 (dont go further f11 because of difraction!)
Groups -> f 5.6

2- Focus:
AFC with 9 points Dynamic area -> that's it, no fancy settings-> FAST
a4 -> release , yes, no focus priority

Set AE-L button to AF-ON -> see below:

a- Use "AF-ON button only" for focus;

b- AFC (very important -> little movements, the target breaths, your hand shake , etc)
c- Select 9 points but w/ only selectable/visible 11 points on viewfinder

d- Always shoot a burst of 3 pics at 4 fps (and select the best one afterwards IN THE COMPUTER as its almost impossible to get the best focused one in LCD)

e- Shutter Release option (no focus lock, not even intermediate lock, as small movements of target or photographer are happening all the time and, of course, the DOF is pretty small) -> any micro delay will kill your sharpness...

f- Do not recompose-> select the active focus point that is near final position of targeted eye
g- Small crop at PP to get final adjustment

8- As I bought a f1.4 lens (remember: the cream machine...) why would I shoot at f4 / 5.6? Ok, I personally like f2.0 or f2.2 in DX for head shots, but got many good ones at f1.4 too.

h- Almost forgot: PLZ get SS at least 1/80 and up ( I would say 1/125 ideal for DX and 85mm lens -> adjust to different equip.) -> therefore set your auto-iso to work!!!
i- Be prepared to get "only" 50% of keepers at most...

3- If you dont like itens 1 and 2 shoot P mode and auto area ( but forget nail focus in a eye with a f1.4 lens!)

4- Buy a Capture NX2 and shoot RAW

5- Auto WB - Auto1

6- Picture Control -> NEUTRAL
Contrast-> auto
In camera sharpness-> +4 (if you shoot jpeg go up to +6 not more than that)

7- Set a -0.3 EV permanent exposure compensation

AND set your playback to show highlights-> shoot and make an exposure compensation (almost always I had to do a EC -> see my exifs in pbase)

As the D7000 allows you to correct dark ares of pic later in PP (remember i said RAW!) NEVER let a blown up area in your pic
Usually I set a -0.3 EC to -0.7 EC.
PLZ this one of the most important things in serious photography!

8- Use later in NX2 the control points to set the right brigtness to your pics

9- I'm usually increase contrast in PP -> just a touch (5 units in Nx2)

9- Get a Polarizer filter to shoot lanscapes and did not get a blown sky. Just turn it untill you see the best colors thru viewfinder

10- AUTO ISO -> very important:

For these 2 lenses (24 mm and 70-200 VRII) and set minimum shutter speed to 1/60 and MAX iso 6400 -> w/ a f1.4 lens dont worry-> It never will get so hight, but anyway you'll have a lifebuoy to get that snap at 6400 iso...

Also set U1 for portraits and minimum shutter speed to 1/125 and U2 for lanscapes and minimum shutter speed to 1/60 or less if you shoot w/ a tripod (really dont need one)

11-- Buy a Topaz denoise 5 for Noide reduction in PP -> its incredible

12- ADL- set to low

13- High iso NR set to low

14- Any dead pixel?: just PP in NX2 using band-aid tool (I got one DP...)

15- Although a tripod is not mandatory, you need to increase your shutter speed very often because of the 16MB/pixel size etc)-> as I said people move and breath so in AFC w/ AF-ON button you can rear the lens motor moving when you are waiting the right moment to click so 1/125 for people is the minimum

For maximum sharpness in a landscape-handheld you'll need minimum 1/500!!!

But lets say 1/250 is very good. But VR helps too and you can go slower w/ VR lenses.

The landscape view you see in my pics were shoot laying the camera on a rail of the varanda (because the polarizer cuts your light by approximatelly -2EV of light!).

But I get beautiful sky. If you dont blow highlights the D7000 can return you deep colors almost like HDR but natural ones.

More later!

-- hide signature --

Ray Soares

Fred Mueller
Senior MemberPosts: 2,346Gear list
Like?
tag

thanks ray

Fred Mueller's gear list:Fred Mueller's gear list
Nikon D600
Ray Soares
Like?
#5 More about AF-ON -> how to use it and settings

Settings:
a3 -> 9 points
a4 -> off
Focus area and mode AFC - continuous focus with 9 points dynamic area
a1 -> release
Lock initial focus point to central point (w/ the focus lock selector )
Set AE-L button to AF-ON only (so you will not focus using shutter button!)

It's a night and day difference and you'll never need to change any of the above settings whatever condition you want:

1- Just press AF-ON to focus the initial focus point;
2- Keep pressing while you want to continuous focus and shoot at will

3- If you want to recompose, just lift your thumb and the focus will lock -> then recompose and shoot.
4- For manual focus dont touch the AF-ON button

It takes minutes to get used to it and you will never go back. It's so easy to use that my wife, 11 y old son, girlfriend of my oldest, etc shoot now w/ AF-ON.

Notes on this technique:

a- You don't have to bother about changing camera focus settings for every condition (unless you're a pro w/ many chalenges/especial conditions to shoot)

b- The person you lend the camera will not shoot by mistake using half-press shutter (very easy and happens w/ every new person that grabs such a heavy DSRL)-> ask him/her just to press AF-ON untill he gives you back the camera!

c- You'll cut all focus delays and will get a pretty fast, almost instantaneous focus (w/ a HSM lens especially)

d- In action situations, like kids running or worse like BIF, is almost impossible to get the right moment using AF-S focus old techniques (let's say AF-S plus beep confirmation+focus lock to release shutter)

e- Pressing AF-ON just start the continuous focus procedures a bit before than using the half-press shutter and THAT is the secret together w/ using RELEASE mode, that gets things working flawless w/ NO delay using AF-ON button.

f- If you keep the half-press shutter focus activated too, you won't lock focus and recompose w/ the AF-ON button, because the moment you press the shutter the camera will acquire a new focus target different from the one you have choosen before w/ AF-ON only.

g- Please note that any lens VR is NOT activated by pressing AF-ON (a new firmware would be nice to correct this) and you'll need to half press shutter button way before to estabilize it.

Regards

-- hide signature --

Ray Soares

Ray Soares
Like?
#6 How to fine tune your lenses...

If you really want to get maximum sharpness of your lenses, try af fine tuning:

I did the af-fine tunning in my old D300 and 85mm f1.4 D and my 17-55mm and I'm pretty happy w/ the results.
I'll try w/ the D7000 next week...

It is fairly noticeable in my D300 pics. My old 85mm got a +8 and my 17-55mm got a +4 as a compromise between the best 17mm setting and the 55mm best one.

I've tried many approachs and I found this simple one the better:

1- Get 3 9V batteries, w/ flat/square shape (not rounded ones)

2- Place them over a table (suposing u dont have a tripod) w/ good light (u might use in-camera flash too)

3- Place your camera over the same table at a distance of 2 meters, using as a support something like a book to get the center focus point pointed to the middle battery.

4- The batteries must be disaligned in depth by 1.5 inch and separated sideways by 2 inches

5- Shoot w/ fine tunning option activated from -20 to + 20 in 5 clicks steps. Choose the best ones, close your gap and so on...

6-Aperture mode plz, wide open.

7-Try/check/recheck/use other settings many times just to make sure that your final choice is the best.

8- For bigger lenses you have to increase size of objects and distances of course.

It's worth any effort and the results are very clear in your photos.

Best
--
Ray Soares

Ray Soares
Like?
#7 About lenses...

If you shoot w/ the kit lenses, you'd better think in invest in a pro-grade lens.

The kit lens is ok but you'll never get that pop-3D look without for exemple controlling DOF.

And you will print it in a EPSON R2880 A3 size poster like a professional.

Second that, with a f1.4 lens and iso 6400 you'll probably never use FLASH anymore (ok some people are very good w/ flashes, but us, mere mortals,...)

The pro lenses are SHARP! and of course are very expensive!

Burt remember that you'll probably change your body in the next 2/3 years, but your pro-lenses will last for at least 10 years and you'll sell them for a good price after the 10 years of use!

Get a Nikon NC clear filter for all US$ 1,500 plus Nikon PRO lenses to protect them( with new nano coat they really dont affect your pics!).

But remember pro-lenses have seals against dust and water splashes!!!

The 24mm f1.4 and the 70-200 VRII although among the more expensives of Nikon FX pro line, are priceless.

With the 24mm , minimum shutter speed 1/60, max iso 6400 and auto-iso, you'll simply will not use flash or worry about ambient light or noise anymore (unless you'll shoot sports for example).

The 70-200mm VRII is simply outstanding and with the VR you can shoot at the same 1/60 at 200mm with no blur (even w/ the small pixels of D7000...)
I've never saw so fast focus in a lens than in a 70-200 VRII!
You will never look to the green focus confirmation light anymore!

Best

-- hide signature --

Ray Soares

Ray Soares
Like?
#8 About video...

Although I haven't tested it properly yet, you can watch a great Peter Gregg's video here:

http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/first-thoughts-nikon-d7000-hands-on/

And he has a nice review of the camera too!

-- hide signature --

Ray Soares

Ray Soares
Like?
EASY Fine-tuning setup w/ pics...

Just check pics below:

Nikon 24mm f1.4G fine tunnig = zero:

Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRII fine tunning = zero

Both handheld and still quite sharp!
Best

-- hide signature --

Ray Soares

Ray Soares
Like?
Thanks Ravinj. Landscape/architecture samples...
In reply to ravinj, Dec 5, 2010

Some samples of this afternoon. All w/ 24mm f1.4G and a Nikon polarizer.
Shoot in neutral but changed in NX2 to landscape:
Stairs

Swiming pool

View by the sea

Home

Stairs #2

Best
--
Ray Soares

perry rhodan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,267Gear list
Like?
awesome !!
In reply to Ray Soares, Dec 6, 2010

Thank you for posting this. Excellent pics and priceless tips!

Thanks again.

Regards, Perry

Ray Soares
Like?
Re: awesome !!
In reply to perry rhodan, Dec 6, 2010

Thanks Perry!
Best
--
Ray Soares

dgc4rter
Regular MemberPosts: 463Gear list
Like?

Thanks Ray for these immensely useful and practical tips. I will be making a note of all these and look forward to applying them to my efforts with the D7000.

-- hide signature --
 dgc4rter's gear list:dgc4rter's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800E Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +4 more
Bill Wallace
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,232Gear list
Like?
Thanks Ray.....

So in-depth, I have it bookmarked, you sealed the deal for me on the D7000 I'm afraid. Now about those lenses....

Thanks again,

Bill

-- hide signature --

Bill Wallace

http://bwallace.zenfolio.com/

"I'd rather laugh with the Sinners than cry with the Saints"

Bill Wallace's gear list:Bill Wallace's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
zenman49
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Re: #5 More about AF-ON -> how to use it and settings

Ray Soares wrote:

Settings:
a3 -> 9 points
a4 -> off
Focus area and mode AFC - continuous focus with 9 points dynamic area
a1 -> release
Lock initial focus point to central point (w/ the focus lock selector )
Set AE-L button to AF-ON only (so you will not focus using shutter button!)

are these setting for D7000 or D90? a3 and a4 don't seems to be correct for D7000.

e- Pressing AF-ON just start the continuous focus procedures a bit before than using the half-press shutter and THAT is the secret together w/ using RELEASE mode, that gets things working flawless w/ NO delay using AF-ON button.

i follow your setting of af-c, shutter release set ae-l, ael/afl button set as af-on, etc, but i sometime encounter problem of af point hang with just 1 single af point at the centre with af-s display on the top lcd. and the af selector become dead, no respond. what could be wrong?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads