7D Pictures not pin sharp

Started Nov 30, 2010 | Discussions
Rigid
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
7D Pictures not pin sharp
Nov 30, 2010

Hi Guys,

I have never been very content with the 7D sharpness and I was wondering if maybe I am expecting too much? Or is my camera or lens is faulty.

I have tested to see if there's a back or front focus problem using the 45 angle on focus-test-chart (focustestchart.com). Using the EF-S 17-55mm 2.8 lens. The lens adjusted to the longest focal range of 55mm, put a tripod, remotely triggered at 45 angle just as described in the doc on the focus chart. I have used aperature 2.8 and speed about 1/125 on a tripod

Indeed I don't think there's not front or back focus problem, as the sharpest focal point is indeed right in the middle. However I think that even at the center where it says : "This test should be perfectly in focus" while this seems like the sharpest point in the chart it is still considerably blurred. Maybe due to excessive chromatic aberratio, I don't know. I just don't think a camera like the 7D with this lens which received praises on any review I read about it, yet the pictures are not super sharp.

I also tested the chart on my new 70-200 2.8L Mark II (at Focal length of 200) which should be some of the sharpest lenses Canon has ever made, and while the test chart looks much sharper than the EF-S 17-55 does, it is still not incredibly sharp.

Can some expert please tell me what they think about it?

Thanks a lot!

Brian D. Schneider
Forum ProPosts: 15,506
Like?
Re: 7D Pictures not pin sharp
In reply to Rigid, Nov 30, 2010

Rigid wrote:

Hi Guys,

I have never been very content with the 7D sharpness and I was wondering if maybe I am expecting too much? Or is my camera or lens is faulty.

I have tested to see if there's a back or front focus problem using the 45 angle on focus-test-chart (focustestchart.com). Using the EF-S 17-55mm 2.8 lens. The lens adjusted to the longest focal range of 55mm, put a tripod, remotely triggered at 45 angle just as described in the doc on the focus chart. I have used aperature 2.8 and speed about 1/125 on a tripod

Indeed I don't think there's not front or back focus problem, as the sharpest focal point is indeed right in the middle. However I think that even at the center where it says : "This test should be perfectly in focus" while this seems like the sharpest point in the chart it is still considerably blurred. Maybe due to excessive chromatic aberratio, I don't know. I just don't think a camera like the 7D with this lens which received praises on any review I read about it, yet the pictures are not super sharp.

I also tested the chart on my new 70-200 2.8L Mark II (at Focal length of 200) which should be some of the sharpest lenses Canon has ever made, and while the test chart looks much sharper than the EF-S 17-55 does, it is still not incredibly sharp.

Can some expert please tell me what they think about it?

Thanks a lot!

Put away the test charts go out in the real world & take some pictures of your usual subject matter. I think you'll find your camera is just fine.
--
Brian Schneider

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BigG30
Regular MemberPosts: 256
Like?

They look fine to me?

LA_Heat
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
In reply to Brian D. Schneider, Nov 30, 2010

Exactly!

Rigid
Like?
In reply to Brian D. Schneider, Nov 30, 2010

Thanks for the reply. I did that test to test the sharpness of the camera AFTER I have seen pictures that I take are not pin sharp. The reason I decided to do this test was due to the pictures looking somewhat a bit blurred.

Also I would also point out that the EF-S 17-55 test looks quite bad, though the 70-200 looks ok.

brudy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,377Gear list
Like?

Are you shooting the test shots in live view?

brudy's gear list:brudy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7R
Loren Charif
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,539
Like?

I can't comment on the sharpness of the test shots because I'm reading this on a fundamentally not-very-sharp laptop.

That said, I suggest that if YOU are unhappy and think there's a problem with the camera, send it in; as long as it's still under warranty there's no charge (other than shipping), and it will either resolve the problem (if there is one), or, at the very least, set your mind at rest.

Many forum members have been through this and for most, it's worked out well.

Loren
--
http://www.pbase.com/lorenbc/
http://www.photosig.com/viewuser.php?id=4994

jm67
Contributing MemberPosts: 913
Like?

Either you or I need glasses cause they look the same to me, normal/good. If these shots are the norm for you, there's not a thing wrong with the lens or camera. If you're looking for 'sharper', then maybe that's what you ought to be playing with (in camera or in post) but as I said, to me they're fine. Gosh, I hope it's not my glasses lol.

Rigid
Like?
In reply to brudy, Nov 30, 2010

com'on of course not

Jobber56
Regular MemberPosts: 116
Like?
Not Sharp???

Gee, that's too bad, Rigid. Might as well throw that camera in the garbage then. Sheesh! Why do people insist on seeing something that is not there? This guy is comparing an EF-S lens with the newest of L glass. Not that there's anything wrong with the 17-55, its just more likely he's seeing the difference in lens quality and not a problem with camera focus.

Like someone else earlier said. Go out and take some REAL pictures. Stop being paranoid from something that is does not exist.

rjohnson
Contributing MemberPosts: 591
Like?
Looks OK to me

Looks OK to me

jm67
Contributing MemberPosts: 913
Like?
Re: Not Sharp???
In reply to Jobber56, Nov 30, 2010

Jobber56 wrote:

Gee, that's too bad, Rigid. Might as well throw that camera in the garbage then. Sheesh! Why do people insist on seeing something that is not there? This guy is comparing an EF-S lens with the newest of L glass. Not that there's anything wrong with the 17-55, its just more likely he's seeing the difference in lens quality and not a problem with camera focus.

Yeah, the 17-55 image is slightly larger hence you can see texture so that makes it look less crisp, and there's slight ca. And it's not shot dead-on. Still, it's just fine.

The bwzoom looks good and if he's looking for sharper, I don't have the newest personally so maybe someone who does can show a sharper one. If that's possible.

Like someone else earlier said. Go out and take some REAL pictures. Stop being paranoid from something that is does not exist.

Overgr
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?

First of all, since you go in all this detail, the 70-200 is frontfocusing.

Secondly, you are not shooting in enough light in my opinion.

Third, these are not as sharp as I would have liked - but I have come to accept that this is how it is with the 7D (there are some perfectly good technical reasons for being so). Just add more sharpening and you will be happy.

Stavros

Mike
Contributing MemberPosts: 625
Like?
Sorry..but which end of the pin ?

Mike

thequietspace
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Re: Not Sharp???
In reply to Jobber56, Nov 30, 2010

Geez, another 'my 7D is not sharp' post. Paranoia is getting in the way of photography.

The number of hours spent looking for non-existent problems on test charts/brick walls ad nauseum = the number of hours wasted and not spent learning about more important things, like how to improve your photography, about composition, lighting, about creativity about capturing images that move and matter.

How many pictures of test charts do you see in exhibitions? Some of the most moving images I've ever seen are not techically perfect, pin sharp etc but they move me because they are full of soul.

Time that is lost can never be recovered. Photography is the art of looking out at the world, it is not the art of looking inside your camera. That belongs in a laboratory.

Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,637
Like?
How do you sharpen photos?

The anti aliasing filter on the sensor softens photos. Assuming you shoot in JPG mode, do you sharpen in the camera or in post processing outside of the camera? What settings do you use?

Cheers,
Doug

elfroggio
elfroggio MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758
Like?

Rigid wrote:

Hi Guys,

Sharpness is very subjective. It depends on the contrast between the light and the dark. The higher the contrast between the pixels, the higher the impression of sharpness. Everything else being equal, a bright, side lit photo will be significantly sharper than a front flat lit photo. Bright sunset vs fog...

Under the same conditions and the same lens, a camera with a higher resolution will feel less sharp than a camera with a lower resolution because the higher resolution camera will have a smother graduation. The higher resolution camera will capture more information between the light and the dark.

More details at: http://www.foto-biz.com/Canon/Why-is-not-my-7d-sharp

-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://foto-biz.com
The Business of Being a Photographer -- Lightroom Q&A -- Canon 7D

Peter 13
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,301
Like?
In reply to Rigid, Dec 1, 2010

Rigid wrote:

However I think that even at the center where it says : "This test should be perfectly in focus" while this seems like the sharpest point in the chart it is still considerably blurred.

• The chart is titled a bit and that text is not exactly in the prefectly focused part (but the center is).

• Each lens, including this one, is softer near the borders, especially wide open.

rkodama1
Contributing MemberPosts: 597Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rigid, Dec 1, 2010

Those charts may be a way to test for focus accuracy but I wouldn't use them with poor lighting to assess sharpness. You do have some CA which is normal for that lens wide open especially with a black and white target. You mentioned that you were getting soft photos which is what motivated you to do the testing. It may be worthwhile to post a couple of soft images to help give everyone a better idea of what you are seeing.

-- hide signature --

Randy

rkodama1's gear list:rkodama1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
buitenkunst
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
In reply to rkodama1, Dec 1, 2010

I think part of the problem is the white balance in these pictures: on my screen the white looks quite grey. This grey-white gives you less contrast and thus a less sharp looking picture... (I think...).

I like the other suggestions as well: try some PP sharpening (or in camera sharpening).

I've taken the picture, opened it in Photoshop Elements, chose 'Levels...', > 'Set white point' and hit the white on the paper. This gives you a perfectly sharp picture. Amazing isn't it? Didn't even adjust sharpness...

-- hide signature --

Canon 7d, Canon 400d, 15-85mm, 50mm 1.4, 55-250IS, Sigma 24-70 2.8, Tamron 18-200, Nikon 35mm (with adapter)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads