a33+kit lens or Minolta 28-80mm D f/3.5-f5.6 Lens+$100?

Started Nov 30, 2010 | Discussions
flancrest
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
a33+kit lens or Minolta 28-80mm D f/3.5-f5.6 Lens+$100?
Nov 30, 2010

I'm about to purchase a Sony a33, after much research and reading on these forums. I own a Minolta Maxxum 5 SLR film camera, and the kit lens that it came with, a Minolta 28-80mm D f/3.5-f5.6 Lens. I'm wondering if I should spend the exta $100 to get the kit lens included with the a33, or if I'd be better off using my Minolta lens (in great condition) and putting the $100 toward another lens.

The a33 will be my first DSLR (SLT). I have limited photography experience, and won't be doing any professional shooting, so I'm looking for versatility foremost.

Thanks to all who post here, I've been lurking for months and gotten a ton of great insight.

pako
Senior MemberPosts: 1,551Gear list
Like?
Re: a33+kit lens or Minolta 28-80mm D f/3.5-f5.6 Lens+$100?
In reply to flancrest, Nov 30, 2010

flancrest wrote:

I'm about to purchase a Sony a33, after much research and reading on these forums. I own a Minolta Maxxum 5 SLR film camera, and the kit lens that it came with, a Minolta 28-80mm D f/3.5-f5.6 Lens. I'm wondering if I should spend the exta $100 to get the kit lens included with the a33, or if I'd be better off using my Minolta lens (in great condition) and putting the $100 toward another lens.

28-80 D? are you sure is a "D"?

Anyway, the kit lens is quite good, you will get better result from that lens than from your old kit lens.

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
http://www.phototeka.net

pako's gear list:pako's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
flancrest
Like?
In reply to pako, Nov 30, 2010

I believe it is a D, but I don't have it in front of me, and I'm frequently wrong. I'm not sure the difference between the D and not D. It isn't a fancy lens at all.

It occurs to me that the other option is to get the a55 with the $100 savings in not getting the kit lens. So the options are:

a33 + kit lens
a55 + existing minolta lens
a33 + existing minolta lens + $100 toward future lens

Ma55l
Contributing MemberPosts: 805
Like?

Hi,

I have used the a55 and the kit lens and it is quite good. In addition it will focus very close. That might be a consideration in your decision. Really close focusing is a great item to have and would be worth the difference to me. In addition you can sell either of the lenses on ebay or privately and recoup some of your expenditure so it is not a totally one way street.

Eternity is a long time - especially near the end.

Mal

pako
Senior MemberPosts: 1,551Gear list
Like?

flancrest wrote:

I believe it is a D, but I don't have it in front of me, and I'm frequently wrong. I'm not sure the difference between the D and not D. It isn't a fancy lens at all.

I know it is not fancy and if it is the lens I think, it is the worse Minolta kit lens ever...

It occurs to me that the other option is to get the a55 with the $100 savings in not getting the kit lens. So the options are:

Well, you are not really saving anything, just getting the body only or the body+kit.

What you can do is check on eBay prices for the 18-55, that is probably less than 100 dollars, try (and get disappointed) your actual kit lens and shop for a proper lens.

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
http://www.phototeka.net

pako's gear list:pako's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
Gavin 11
Senior MemberPosts: 2,270Gear list
Like?

flancrest wrote:

The a33 will be my first DSLR (SLT). I have limited photography experience, and won't be doing any professional shooting, so I'm looking for versatility foremost.

Thanks to all who post here, I've been lurking for months and gotten a ton of great insight.

It could well be a D lens, there were a number a variants of this lens and I think this is the last version which is considered ok, check dyxum?
Maybe save up for something better?
“I prefer my Sony A-7xx, to be made out of wood”

Gavin 11's gear list:Gavin 11's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
HobbiesAreFun
Senior MemberPosts: 2,420Gear list
Like?

flancrest wrote:

a33 + kit lens

Eh. If the old minolta lens is good enough, Get an A55 body as it is a fairly significant upgrade over the A33, and I don't see you upgrading bodies anytime soon. So it would probably be worth giving it a shot. That's my opinion.

-- hide signature --

A Beginning Amateur Photographer

HobbiesAreFun's gear list:HobbiesAreFun's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +5 more
Pixelizer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,346
Like?
Your plan might be a good one ...
In reply to HobbiesAreFun, Nov 30, 2010

I don't have the exact Minolta lens you have - mine is the 35-80 Maxxum. But I've tested it against the kit lens that came with my a33, and i think it's sharper than the Sony 18-55. If I had it to do over again, I'd do what you're thinking ... get the body only and use the Minolta as your "base lens" instead. You'll probably get a longer zoom for distant work, anyway, and the Minolta lenses tend to be quite good.

Here's a 3-way comparison shot with my Minolta 35-80, Sony 18-55 and Sony 55-200, all at 55mm:

The differences in this reduced-size image aren't as readily apparent as when viewing it full-size, but the Minolta lens edges out the Sony 18-55 in overall image quality IMO. Your lens might differ, but it's worth a try.

Another option might be to get the body and the Sony 55-200 and use the Minolta lens for your closer work. As this same test shot shows, the 55-200 is a good lens as well.

--
Digital imaging has introduced a whole new generation to the joy of photography.

Glenn
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,821
Like?
Re: Your plan might be a good one ...
In reply to Pixelizer, Nov 30, 2010

sharpness isn't everything. there is range to consider the 18-55 is a lot more useful a range (if it's your only lens) than 28-80 is.

Also your testing one zoom at the extreme of it's range (and wide open it looks like) against other zooms in the meaty middle of their range. those XX-80's really come apart at both ends of their ranges too. they produce a lot of CA and they flare like crazy. thats why they aren't more popular. the problem is worse on APS-C because your using those kit lenses closer to their extremes than you would on film where mostly they were used at 50-70mm which is what they are optimized for where the 18-55 is most optimum at around 30-35mm (which is like 50mm if it were full frame or film)

sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,253
Like?

The 28-80mm is certainly not one of Minolta's better lenses; but it might be satisfactory for you - especially if you mostly use it at around f/8. There's no harm in trying it. If you don't like the results you can always pick up an 18-55mm, or some other kit lens, from eBay for less than $100.

jdonalds
Regular MemberPosts: 168
Like?
In reply to sybersitizen, Nov 30, 2010

A previous poster is right about buying the 18-55 kit lens on ebay. I have an 18-250 so don't have any need for the 18-55. I have it listed on ebay along with many others of the same type. I'm sure you can find one for less than $100, new and in perfect condition.
--
John

stdavid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,835
Like?
In reply to jdonalds, Nov 30, 2010

jdonalds wrote:

A previous poster is right about buying the 18-55 kit lens on ebay. I have an 18-250 so don't have any need for the 18-55. I have it listed on ebay along with many others of the same type. I'm sure you can find one for less than $100, new and in perfect condition.
--
John

But what are you suggesting the OP do if he doesn't have an 18-250? You have to remember that the 28mm of the Minolta which is really 36mm on his sensor which is really not wide enough. Personaly I think he should get the kit lens. It's not a bad lens. Its light has decent IQ and gets him started without fooling around IMO. He is a newbie remember?
--
Quote: Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes
Oscar Wilde

jdonalds
Regular MemberPosts: 168
Like?
In reply to stdavid, Dec 1, 2010

I'm simply suggesting it isn't economic to pay Sony $100 for a kit lens when so many are available on eBay. Many, like me, ended up with a kit lens they didn't want or don't need

I came by my kit lens because the only A55s that were available at the time came with the kit lens. I couldn't buy a body only. Now I'm trying to sell my kit lens but there are a glut of them on eBay. I'm sure if the OP wants one he can pick one up cheap.
--
John

William9
Contributing MemberPosts: 774
Like?
In reply to jdonalds, Dec 1, 2010

You can read up on the specs and user reviews of all these lenses at
http://www.dyxum.com .

There, you'll see that there are 2 versions of the Minolta 28-80, and one was indeed a "D" version. Its ratings and reviews, however, are significantly lower than the ratings and reviews of the Sony 18-55. Here are the links:

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Minolta-AF-28-80-F3.5-5.6-D_lens34.html

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Sony-AF-DT-18-55-F3.5-5.6-SAM_lens521.html

William
--

'Let the beauty of what you love be what you do. Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment. Cleverness is mere opinion, bewilderment is intuition.' -- Rumi

flancrest
Like?
In reply to flancrest, Dec 22, 2010

flancrest wrote:

a33 + kit lens

I wanted to drop by and thank you all for your input. As tends to happen with these sorts of things, but in large part because of your thoughts, I went with the a55 + kit lens + (minolta beercan + 50mm 1.7 off craiglsist) for a total of about $1100.

So far I'm absolutely thrilled with the camera, and happy I bought the kit lens rather than relying on my old 28/80 for my close work.

I especially appreciate Pixelizer's photos which provided a good comparison on which to make my decision.

PDavis
Regular MemberPosts: 454Gear list
Like?
In reply to flancrest, Dec 23, 2010

I actually like the 28-80 range on apsc - it's a nice range for people pics.

At 80mm even with a slow lens you can get some decent bokeh - better than at 55mm.

Might not be a bad idea to keep the 28-80 and pair it with a Tamron 10-24 while the $100 rebate is going on. $374 on Amazon now.

PDavis's gear list:PDavis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Little Pooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 644
Like?
In reply to flancrest, Dec 23, 2010

You did well. For $1100, you have covered alot of bases with good performing lenses. Enjoy your new camera and lenses, the rest is up to you now.
--
Sony A55, A580, HDR-SR12, T100

Lenses: SAL70400G, Sigma18-250 OS HSM, Sigma 18-50 OS HSM, Maxxum 50mm 1.7, Lensbaby Composer

Kirk Bruner
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
In reply to Little Pooter, 7 months ago

I see posts from a lot of folks who are awfully quick to trash the Sony 18-55, seemingly just because it is a "kit" lens. It's worth noting that the 18-55 SAM is one of the best kit lenses in the business. Check out kurtmunger.com and read Munger's review of the lens. It is very sharp wide open at the wide end and sharp at the long end stopped down one stop from wide open. It is a huge improvement over the previous kit lens, the old rebadged Minolta designed 18-70, as the comparison photos will attest. There are also other glowing reviews of the lens that were done at the introduction of the lens.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads