Leica M39 on NEX

Started Nov 5, 2010 | Discussions
Kiril Karaatanasov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,863Gear list
Like?
Leica M39 on NEX
Nov 5, 2010

Has anybody tried M39 lenseson NEX?

These seem cheaper then M mount and nearly as compact.

So any recomendations on adapter and some lens like that? I have no manual lenses at this stage. I use wide range of A mount primes on NEX.

I would like to give try to purely manual lenses.

Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list:Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Tariq
Senior MemberPosts: 1,507Gear list
Like?
Re: Leica M39 on NEX
In reply to Kiril Karaatanasov, Nov 6, 2010

I'm using a few LTM-M39 lenses and have tried about three or four different adapters thus far. Lenses I have used thus far are the Voigt Heliar 15mm (tiny), Voigt 28 1.9 (a fairly large lens) and a Avenon (Kobalux) 28 3.5 (extremely small). The 15 is super sharp but has color vignetting that requires correction. I use Cornerfix for this. The other two lenses need no correction and are both outstanding. So far, I prefer the inexpensive, two piece adapters as they allow the rotational adjustment of the inner barrel of the adapter thus allowing one to have the index marks on the lens exactly at the top 12 o'clock positon. All of the single piece LTM adapters I have used so far do not have the lens at the 12 o'clock positon. This is the one I like so far:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360305255633&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2951wt_1026

Also, after using an M mount converter, I much prefer the LTM in use from an ergonomic standpoint on the NEX-5. The M-mount converters have a knob or lever on the side which has occasionally interfered with my grip of the camera. The LTM adapters have no such protruding mechanisms.

Tariq's gear list:Tariq's gear list
Sony RX1 Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Serhan2
Contributing MemberPosts: 995
Like?
In reply to Kiril Karaatanasov, Nov 6, 2010

I have m39 lenses. In addition to Voigtlander lenses, you can find older lenses from Canon/Nikon/Leica and Russia also. I use VC 12mm more than the others for landscapes. See more about the VC lenses in this post:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&message=36570387
--
Serhan
http://www.pbase.com/sc_20170/

Charles Chien
Contributing MemberPosts: 982Gear list
Like?
In reply to Serhan2, Nov 7, 2010

I used Voigtlander 12mm as well. I have commented on my adapter experience here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&message=36774669

Basically, I realized that it was a bit too long, and I just send it off - my adapter has a inner removable m39 ring that I can easily remove, and sand it. And, I figured that I send off one side, and if I made a mistake, I can flip it over and continue to use as it was made. Anyway, I am happy with it now.

-- hide signature --

Charles

Charles Chien's gear list:Charles Chien's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-FH25 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 20D Sony Alpha NEX-5 +12 more
rinkos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,219
Like?
In reply to Charles Chien, Nov 7, 2010

Charles Chien wrote:

I used Voigtlander 12mm as well. I have commented on my adapter experience here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&message=36774669

Basically, I realized that it was a bit too long, and I just send it off - my adapter has a inner removable m39 ring that I can easily remove, and sand it. And, I figured that I send off one side, and if I made a mistake, I can flip it over and continue to use as it was made. Anyway, I am happy with it now.

-- hide signature --

Charles

hey can u post the make of ur adapter or even better the ebay link for it? tnks

Kiril Karaatanasov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,863Gear list
Like?
Can I go NEX to M & M to M39
In reply to Kiril Karaatanasov, Nov 7, 2010

PS I was wondering if it makes sense to get 2 adapters

M mount and them M to M39

This makes better kit and probably M to M39 would be better quality.

I see far too many complaints fomr the NEX to M39 adapters quality - not aglined, does not fit NEx, does nto have proper distance ...

PS links to adapter you guys bought and liked would be appreciated.

Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list:Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Charles Chien
Contributing MemberPosts: 982Gear list
Like?
Link to my M39 adapter
In reply to Kiril Karaatanasov, Nov 10, 2010

The M39 adapter is the same as the following from the same seller: http://cgi.ebay.com/...0597054556?pt=Lens_Accessories&hash=item4aa512d45c

I am not sure if it would buy you much to go M and M-to-M39 as M (M-to-Nex) adapter itself has its own share of problems -- here is a sample: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=36565559

When using adapters, I would use as less as possible as introduction of each adapter adds its tolerance value - the more you add, the larger the tolerance value it may be and that translates to more errors in the final result. I would prefer a single M39-to-Nex adapter myself as it's very easy to address. You just need to make sure it has a removable inner ring so that it's easy to modify.

-- hide signature --

Charles

Charles Chien's gear list:Charles Chien's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-FH25 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 20D Sony Alpha NEX-5 +12 more
isvana
Regular MemberPosts: 204Gear list
Like?
Yes <- Leica M39 on NEX
In reply to Kiril Karaatanasov, Nov 10, 2010

Using an L39/M39 adapter with my old Zorki Jupiter 8 50/2 lens.

Good news: adapter works well and is thin.

Bad news (allbeit general for adapters): camera workflow is different with NEX than the original camera. The Jupiter 8 for example has a non-indented aperture ring attached to the focus ring. So after focussing, when you change the aperture, from f2 to say f5.6, you risk changing the focus... caveat emptor on manual lenses!

isvana's gear list:isvana's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Alpha NEX-6
Joao Cardoso
Contributing MemberPosts: 736
Like?
In reply to Kiril Karaatanasov, Nov 17, 2010

Quick question.

I've taking a look at some of the m39 lens out there and there are some that are collapsible. From what I've saw the lens "goes into the body" of the camera. As we all know the NEX has the sensor real close to the lens so I assume that if I decide to use a m39 lens I may as well stay away from the ones that are collapsible. Am I right? Or this is a non issue?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Joao Cardoso

agfa100
Regular MemberPosts: 335Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joao Cardoso, Nov 17, 2010

I just picked up a Russian 50mm f3.5 rigid that is small and light and very sharp. Also with the prices of the Nex to L39 adp I think it would be cheaper just to buy one of those even if you have a Nex to Leica M as they are cheaper then buying leica screw to bay adapter.

wbill

agfa100's gear list:agfa100's gear list
Sony RX1 Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Canon Pixma Pro-100
nspur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes <- Leica M39 on NEX
In reply to isvana, Nov 17, 2010

As a partial answer to your question I use LTM lenses with a M39 to M adapter and then the M to E-mount adapter. I've got an Industar 50/3.5 that collapses without grinding up the sensor (actually it wouldn't because the sensor is recessed) but I'm too scared to try the Leitz Elmar 50/2.8 which ought to be precisely the same as the Industar which is an Elmar 3.5 copy but it just looks larger. In any case I have a superb Nikkor 50/2 from 1951 that makes a lovely portrait lens on the NEX-3.
--
Nick Spurrier

nspur's gear list:nspur's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Pentax K-30 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads