Started Oct 27, 2010 | Discussions
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,051Gear list
Like?
R3 here......
In reply to Tom Caldwell, Aug 22, 2012

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Ah!

The R3/R4/R5. Perhaps the only true consumer level camera with both phase-detect and contrast detect focus built in. I seem to recollect that there were three focus methods used by the camera. Hardly "hybrid" as I am sure that this was just the judicious combination of phase-detect and contrast-detect. Hardly "macro" which was more likely just slow contrast detect on it's own. I do know that "macro" could be used for slower, more precise, focusing over the full range of focus capability. Unlike other cameras using their "macro".

Perhaps someone can remind us?

R3 in my case. Some time back I did experiment to try and see how often phase detect or contrast detect was used. If conditions are good to average then phase detect seems to be favoured. Any lesser light level, close up, and/or maximum or near maximum tele and it drops to contrast detect. No real problems with either, maybe a bit quicker with phase detect, but overall it's a simple and quick camera yielding excellent results due to the low pixel density of about 20 MP per Cm squared.

Great images for an "old" camera - when we all worry ourself to death over what new feature the next model might bring.

I still grab the R3 for random macro shots at home. I also owned the R4 (now with my daughter) and also the R5, but the R5 did start to show too much detail smearing due to excessive noise reduction (Ricoh Australia swapped the R5 for an R4 at my request due to random focus errors happening way too often. That same random focus error also made my wife abandon the CX2 and move to a way better Casio ZR100). The R4 and R3 do less smearing and less focus errors (than R5 & CX2) so the images are better.

Regards....... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,102Gear list
Like?
Re: R3 here......
In reply to Guy Parsons, Aug 25, 2012

Guy Parsons wrote:

The R4 and R3 do less smearing and less focus errors (than R5 & CX2) so the images are better.

Amongst the CX cameras it is especially CX3 and CX4 which is to prefer for low NR.
Though I dont know which one of these which uses least NR.

The CX5 and CX6 are probably not bad but have reintroduced some marginal smudging NR compared to the CX4 at their default NR settings. It is not clarified what these are when I had a look at it in the pdf-manuals so I can only assume that it is Auto.
I list links to reviews with sample images in another thread.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1013&message=41091648&changemode=1

But I don't think that an upgrade from CX2 to CX3 or CX4 would be worth it only for the sake of lower NR, and improved image stabilization in CX4, unless that's what you really want.

I almost bought a CX4 for a couple of months ago but slightly smoothed HD videos and no focus-tracking in these managed to hold me off. That's something that I want if I'm to buy modern compact super-zoom. The HD videos are great for concerts and this year I eventually decided to do what was possibly with the Ricoh G700 which I already had. It have slightly smudgy HD 720p videos but at least good sound.

Might be better or maybe not to wait for the CX7. Hoping that Ricoh finally comes up with a zoom on par with many of the competitors again. But then, the chances that them are going to revert back to less heavy handed NR are probably not great.

Between, the G700 is not about to stay in my lineup of cameras. I bought a used one mostly for testing-purpose and I was curious how Ricoh had advanced from the G600 which I not quite liked. For rugged or waterproof needs I'll instead keep use the old school Ricoh Caplio 500SE which uses less NR and have the same zoom and ccd as the GX8. Seems to be very much the same hardware inside with exception for no front-wheel and to have control over the aperture.

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
GRDI
In reply to schaki, Sep 26, 2012

The original GRDI is far from new either by now. But definitely good and probably the compact I use most. Idc if a camera is old or have low resolution in terms of pixels as long as it have good image quality and that the features are useful.

I still Have my 1.5mp Minolta Dimage EX and Ricoh Caplio 400G wide and have not been thinking of getting red of any of them. But the 400G should need a small refurbishment to work exactly as it should.
Well. Below is some from the GRDI, so far this autumn.

Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
Re: R3 here......
In reply to schaki, May 20, 2013

One taken with the R3 of a somewhat shy bird. Could at least get one decent picture of it. For most of the time I struggled with the bird getting too dark or bad contrast.

After some minor comparisons earlier before this trip I've set the sharpening firmly to Soft as it get a better look to the R3 images compared to sharpening set to Normal.

That bird lives on a small island probably near a ruin which also is located on the island, not far from land.

Contax TVS Digital
kuuan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,420Gear list
Like?
Re: Any users of older Ricoh digicams?
In reply to schaki, May 23, 2013

some 8 years ago I had decided that with the new digital technology finally I can fulfill a teenagers dream and bought myself a video cam. Soon I took more photos with it than I took videos and some 6 or 7 years ago it was time for the first digital still camera.

I was lucky and was in Japan that time where one can try out any camera and with a good used market. My choice, after having compared quite a lot, was a used Ricoh Caplio R3 which i chose over comparable Panasonics for the better handling, positioning and handling of buttons. I still remember the amazing help I received than right here by Guy Parsons

It was the camera that made me hooked and me taking photos pretty much every day ever since!

-- hide signature --

photos mostly taken with manual lenses on Ricoh GXR M, Sony NEX5N, Pentax K-x and *istDs: http://flickr.com/photos/kuuan/

kuuan's gear list:kuuan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Pentax *ist DS Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
schaki
Like?
In reply to kuuan, Jun 1, 2013

Some with the 500SE this time. B&W in low light. Ios 800 with that camera is really as an emergency as it sometimes can get too noisy and not look very well either. Had to throw some. Sharpening was set to Soft as the noise came out more grainy that way.

Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
In reply to schaki, Jun 10, 2013

My black R3 is no longer working. Some of the last pictures with it.

The good thing is that if these old Caplios break, they are usually not expensive to replace with another one if I would like to do so.

Actually my black R3 which had good copy of that zoom and the odd never released firmware 1.30 died today during a small mishap. More about that firmware in an other thread. Though it seems to be unknown what has been improved compared to the previous version 1.29 which officially is the last firmware. http://dpreview.com/forums/thread/1676417#forum-post-19240938

Had had a long walk taking a bunch of pictures and been around in stores when I would try trousers in a store. Had the R3 in the small Caplio leather-case on my belt as usually when I've it with me. The Camera never never left the case but slided off from my belt and down on to the floor. Not a very hard impact but later when I would take a picture of a bird the R3 zoomed all the way to 200mm at once, made a weird sound and power down. Could carefully get the zoom back in manually again and it started up as before, at 200mm.

I still have my other R3 which is in silver and not quite as good copy of that zoom if if my memory serves me correct. I'll see what I'll do now. Have for a long time been curious about to test the infamous R5 but I might go with the CX4 as well. These two plus the R3, R4 and the CX3 uses very little NR as default setting even though the R5 occasionally could look smeared.

Anyway, that black R3 was rather scuffed already when I bought it as used anyway. One of the lock latches was damaged so that the battery-door sometimes could slip out and open up by just touching it very little. Used to put a small bit of tape and it stayed closed. The shutter-release button showed sign of being used a lot with the colour had partly gone off. It could occasionally  zoom forth and back before it settled at 28mm when powered on.

Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
In reply to schaki, Jun 20, 2013

From a small write up posted by me in an other thread at Ricohforum.

I Have a G4 and also a black RX. But I really prefer the 400G over the G4 W. Despite somewhat extra bulk I like it better as it is very comfortable to use with the all the rubber around the body and it is also more silent due to the sealed shell.
The RX, at least from my experience have less good image quality than the G4 W / 400G wide and I don't like the somewhat slower widest aperture either. At least the 'Ok'-button is placed better even though the G4 W / 400G not was too bad there either.

Ricoh Caplio G3. Like the G4W and RX it uses the very same 3mp 1/2.7" ccd, but it actually have better image quality imo. The way it handle the noise is just pretty good for having such a small Ccd. The default sharpening is on the high side and maybe it might benefit from being set to Soft instead. The 35-105mm zoom is not spectacular in terms of range but a good performer. Optically it seems to be the same zoom as for the predecessor, the Caplio RR30 (and later on the first Caplio G4) though with new engines for the zoom and the AF. At least the sound these engines make is noticeably different. The zoom-engine in the Ricoh Caplio RR33 / 300G (another sealed version) have a far more whiny sound compared to the Ricoh Caplio Pro G3 which and the AF sound reminds a lot about the GRDI while the G3 have a somewhat more silent rattling noise.
The zoom which I think could have been wider, 28mm instead of 35mm, and the button layout is the weak links on a camera which otherwise is good for being an inexpensive model which the first RR30 and since the usual G3 was.
The button layout is not very impressive with the G3 having the separate Menu and ok buttons placed farther away from each other than compared to the G4. something which Ricoh realized as they corrected that when they designed the G4. Also while the G4 was the first to have the ADJ-button for quick changes of exposure, white balance and iso there is no such button on the G3 or RR30.
My first test-pictures with the G3 can be found in an other thread at Dpreview. http://dpreview.com/forums/thread/28950 ... t-39180960

I've had a 300G and also briefly a RR30 which I bought used for about two years ago or more. Unfortunately the RR30 which I bought had serious cardwriting problem as it randomly could refuse to save taken images to the SD memory card properly. Tried with some different cards but still same result so eventually I gave up there.
The RR30 and 300G have marginally longer shutter-release lag compared the G3 and newer Ricohs though still short enough not to cause problem there. Image quality of the 300G and probably also the RR30 Image quality is good except for the mortling noise compared to the G3. Actually it have foolproof AWB. Button layout is same as for the G3.

RR30 was the first in a long row of Ricohs plus submodels of the G3 and also the 300G and 400G which used that bad 3mp 1/2.7" ccd from Sony. http:/ricoh.com/r_dc/info/ccd/
Except for the usual G3 and the first G4 I've used all of these with that ccd to at least a small extent. At least for now I've no intention of trying to find a G4 on Ebay. From sample images which I've seen in various reviews it seems to have less good image quality compared to the Pro G3 which I've and I can't believe that the usual G3 is any different than he pro G3 as it except for the extra memory card slot which is intended to put a CF GPS or Wifi card into which makes the camera somewhat more bulky. Have tried but not been able to find a Caplio G3 review with full size sample images so far.

I might try to find a usual Ricoh Caplio G3 as these are less bulky than the Pro G3 which I've now.

Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
In reply to schaki, Sep 9, 2013

Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
R5 and Ricoh RDC-6000
In reply to schaki, Sep 11, 2013

I've decided to test the R5 despite its somewhat bad and mixed reputation. Basically because the image quality with a good copy of it should be pretty good and the later in the R-series was no better as more NR crept in and also slower AF as the PD AF was removed from the R6 plus the problem with the zoom on the R6/R7 sooner or later getting stuck permanently due to a flaw in the design.

The RDC-6000 has also caught my interest as it is one of the last Ricoh which can be used with a real IR remote control instead of that tethered control for the GRD and probably GX100 as well.

Like some of these non Ricoh-produced RR-models which followed, the RDC-6000 looks much as a toycamera but that can be a strength as no one are going to take it seriously.

The ccd is only a 1/2" 2mp with a fixed non protruding 40mm lens. But the image quality is surprisingly good compared to the older RDC-5000 which uses a similar ccd though probably not quite the same. The RDC-5000 have problem with artifacts while the 6000 have quite grainlike noise and at least iso 200 should be useful.

RDC-6000 sample images http://alatest.com/topbar/1565597/-1/?ref=http%3A%2F%2Falatest.com%2Freviews%2Fdigital-compact-camera-reviews%2Fricoh-rdc-6000%2Fpo3-18119%2C147%2F

RDC-5000 sample images http://alatest.com/topbar/1565576/-1/?ref=http%3A%2F%2Falatest.com%2Freviews%2Fdigital-compact-camera-reviews%2Fricoh-rdc-5000%2Fpo3-19426%2C147%2F

I would have preferred to go with the RDC-5000 but since the image quality is somewhat ruined by the artifacts and less nice looking noise I opted for the RDC-6000 anyway.

Thinking that the RDC-5000 maybe could have been somewhat faster in use than the 6000 despite being older but I have not managed to find info in reviews about that unlike the newer 6000. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/RD6/RD6A7.HTM

The 5000 was reviewed there as well though without mention the shutter release lag and AF lag etc as well as in other reviews of it. But as said, the image quality which is quite mixed held me off at least for now. http://alatest.com/topbar/470622/-1/?ref=http%3A%2F%2Falatest.com%2Freviews%2Fdigital-compact-camera-reviews%2Fricoh-rdc-5000%2Fpo3-19426%2C147%2F

(And after that the GX100 bumped against the bottom of artifacts again which I got quite enough of fairly soon..)

The 6000 is rather slow with a startup of 12 secs and slow AF as well. But that won't be much of a problem as long as it can lock focus in indoors in light which not always is going to be optimal.

I was positively surprised to find out that this very simple and inexpensive looking camera have Aperture priority while it is not available on the older but more advanced/expensive looking Rdc-5000 and the 5300.

One other con except for the slow operation is that the camera as the two previous uses Smart Media cards for storage, but that should not be much of a problem as long as the camera can format these properly.

I buy it mostly because I want a Ricoh with a real IR remote control which I can use at parties etc. The Contax TVS Digital with its IR remote has been very useful for that purpose and is still going strong. Just bought a new battery for the RC not very long ago.

Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
In reply to schaki, Sep 11, 2013

I've decided to test the R5 despite its somewhat bad and mixed reputation. Basically because the image quality with a good copy of it should be pretty good and the later in the R-series was no better as more NR crept in and also slower AF as the PD AF was removed from the R6 plus the problem with the zoom on the R6/R7 sooner or later getting stuck permanently due to a flaw in the design.

The RDC-6000 has also caught my interest as it is one of the last Ricoh which can be used with a real IR remote control instead of that tethered control for the GRD and probably GX100 as well.

Like some of these non Ricoh-produced RR-models which followed, the RDC-6000 looks much as a toycamera but that can be a strength as no one are going to take it seriously.

The ccd is only a 1/2" 2mp with a fixed non protruding 40mm lens. But the image quality is surprisingly good compared to the older RDC-5000 which uses a similar ccd though probably not quite the same. The RDC-5000 have problem with artifacts while the 6000 have quite grainlike noise and at least iso 200 should be useful.

RDC-6000 sample images http://alatest.com/topbar/1565597/-1/?ref=http%3A%2F%2Falatest.com%2Freviews%2Fdigital-compact-camera-reviews%2Fricoh-rdc-6000%2Fpo3-18119%2C147%2F

RDC-5000 sample images http://alatest.com/topbar/1565576/-1/?ref=http%3A%2F%2Falatest.com%2Freviews%2Fdigital-compact-camera-reviews%2Fricoh-rdc-5000%2Fpo3-19426%2C147%2F

I would have preferred to go with the RDC-5000 but since the image quality is somewhat ruined by the artifacts and less nice looking noise I opted for the RDC-6000 anyway.

Thinking that the RDC-5000 maybe could have been somewhat faster in use than the 6000 despite being older but I have not managed to find info in reviews about that unlike the newer 6000. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/RD6/RD6A7.HTM

The 5000 was reviewed there as well though without mention the shutter release lag and AF lag etc as well as in other reviews of it. But as said, the image quality which is quite mixed held me off at least for now. http://alatest.com/topbar/470622/-1/?ref=http%3A%2F%2Falatest.com%2Freviews%2Fdigital-compact-camera-reviews%2Fricoh-rdc-5000%2Fpo3-19426%2C147%2F

(And after that the GX100 bumped against the bottom of artifacts again which I got quite enough of fairly soon..)

The 6000 is rather slow with a startup of 12 secs and slow AF as well. But that won't be much of a problem as long as it can lock focus in indoors in light which not always is going to be optimal.

I was positively surprised to find out that this very simple and inexpensive looking camera have Aperture priority while it is not available on the older but more advanced/expensive looking Rdc-5000 and the 5300.

One other con except for the slow operation is that the camera as the two previous uses Smart Media cards for storage, but that should not be much of a problem as long as the camera can format these properly.

Oh, and I almost forgot that this not protruding lens looks like a quite dust-proof design unlike  many other Ricohs Myabe it is reasonably silent as well if luck is on my side.

I buy it mostly because I want a Ricoh with a real IR remote control which I can use at parties etc. The Contax TVS Digital with its IR remote has been very useful for that purpose and is still going strong. Just bought a new battery for the RC not very long ago.

Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
In reply to schaki, Oct 2, 2013

Some with the RDC-6000 in the Autumn-thread http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2898546?page=2#forum-post-52260223

It won't accept any of my two 128mb Smart Media cards but luckily it works well with the 64mb ones. The Dynamic range might be slightly worse than what I expected. But that won't be much of a problem as I hardly was thinking about some serious photography when I decided to buy one used.

To me this is merely a toycamera though a good such which I also intend to use with the Ricoh DR-3 remote control. The shutter release lag can be rather long sometimes. Battery life is clearly not good as the battery is quite aged. I've ordered an inexpensive replacement battery for it, Ricoh DB-20. It didn't take long to find out that this battery is the same as Fuji NP-80.

As expected the UI is not very good though I get used to it. It is somewhat different even compared to the Ricoh Caplio Pro G3 which not have ADJ-button either and slightly more so when compared to the 400G Wide which have that button. Oh well, so far I've hammered away with it and had some fun as long as the battery lasted. Lukily I had the Contax TVSD with which could continue when the RDC-6000.

I think that I might test the RDC-5000 anyway, mostly because it have a shutter which go down to 1s while the RDC-6000 only go down to 1/4.

And the R5 yes... It arrived but something is seriously wrong with it as it can't focus quite properly. Every picture is out of focus with some weird foglike look to it. At least the ADJ-menu is less laggy compared to the R3 from what I can remember, also the R4 as well. But there is another con, it takes longer to click many step upwards or downards on the EV-tab or Iso for example compared to the R3. Seems like Ricoh fixed one slight problem and added an other.

So I'll have to go for another R5 before I can test it properly.

The Ricoh Caplio GX 5mp should arrive soon however. Didn't have any luck with my last one which had a serious problem with the sensor which made it unusable. Hopefully it won't have problem with sample variation either which might result in some bad corner softness.

I've a Ricoh Caplio 500G with that zoom which have quite bad corner and edge softness due to SV while the 500SE which I have is fine. All three have the same zoom though probably with faster AF than the GX 5mp.

Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
In reply to schaki, 10 months ago

Some froglings with the Ricoh Caplio 400G Wide earlier in the year.

One really have to think twice and move the camera very carefully in the water not to disturb them. But for most of the time they are rather very curious and like to sit onto my hand, the camera and even the protection glass to the lens.

Not easy to get the best of pictures as it is nearly impossible to see the lcd screen from the surface, no matter from what angle. So I use macro and point the camera and then try listen to the slight noise of the AF to hear when it hopefully has managed to lock focus.

Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
In reply to schaki, 8 months ago

Two simple test images here. One with the R5 and the R3 for a minor comparison.

As can be seen this is not a very good copy of the R5 as the zoom have bad bottom-left and top-right corner softness. The R3 is about ok even though the bottom-right corner could be sharper.

Mixed light that day. When I took the first picture with the R5 there was sunshine. About half a minute later when it was time for the R3, the sunshine was covered by clouds.

I like the R3-rendering better as it look more natural with less artifacts. Both iso 100 and sharpening set to Low as Normal oversharps badly.

Contax TVS Digital
schaki
Like?
In reply to schaki, 6 months ago

Two quick pictures with a RR30 during a walk. Took these mostly to find out however the blue color-cast Awb issue which can be seen in sample images in reviews was solved in a firmware upgrade or not.

Firmware 1.18 which is the latest in my RR30 all of the small bunch of pictures looked ok as far as WB go.

I have not used this RR30 a lot at all after having cleaned it. It is a rare Black RR30. Not the usual silver and black.

Contax TVS Digital
OliverNZ
Forum MemberPosts: 63Gear list
Like?
In reply to schaki, 6 months ago

Hi,

I use my GX200 quite a bit. Love it!!

Oliver

-- hide signature --

No, I don't have an iPhone or iPad.

OliverNZ's gear list:OliverNZ's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX200 Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
schaki
Like?
In reply to OliverNZ, 6 months ago

OliverNZ wrote:

Hi,

I use my GX200 quite a bit. Love it!!

Oliver

Nice to hear that. I had a GX100 for a minor couple of weeks myself but eventually sold it because I found the jpeg output flawed in the way with oversharpening with sharpening set even to -2 and that forced me to use raw it. Other than that I liked the camera quite a bit.

Oversharpening seems to be a usual problem with Ricoh compacts, using sharpening Normal.

I've never had the GX200 though but read about it and probably know most of the good and less good about it compared to GX100.

The good. Raw-buffer, somewhat better dynamic range, one extra FN-button, generally better lcd screen and probably also better dust-sealing for the zoom.

The less good. Screen-freeze when it focuses, noisier sensor, no PDAF and NR which not can be fully turned off for the jpegs.

I've not seen any real clear upgrade-path from the GX200 yet except for the somewhat more bulky GXR S10 which have same zoom but a new improved 10mp ccd which is less noisy compared to the two found in GX100 and GX200.

The Ricoh GXR A16 zoom uses an aps-c sensor and a similar zoom in terms of reach but definitely more bulky. Gerd Waloszek has one but seems to prefer the similar Leica X-Vario which is similar but only 28mm at the wide end of the zoom.

http://waloszek.de/gxr_module_A162485_e.php

I'm not fully convinced however regarding his findings about corner softness. Ricoh almost always manage to make good lenses for their cameras but the sample Quality control in that Chinese production-factory have for sure not always been able to do a good job if we talk about Quality Control.

Especially the Travelzoom Series Ricoh R and CX seem to have suffered a lot but also my original GRDI 8mp got a not very good lens when it was sent in for repair some years back. Ricoh had QC problem with the GX100 as well. I believe that it had settled somehwat for the GX200 which at least I think had a new Revision of that zoom which should have better dust-sealing if it is the same as in GXR S10.

I've Contax TVS Digital which also have problem with screen-freeze when it focuses so I've a good idea what it is like but I've learnt to live with it. It works reasonably well for most of the time.

Contax TVS Digital
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads