Senior MemberPosts: 1,246
Fifty Rabbits
Oct 26, 2010

Thanks for looking.

DonTom
Contributing MemberPosts: 506Gear list
Re: Fifty Rabbits
In reply to hindesite, Oct 26, 2010

Nice image. Several different firearms used judging by the hammer impressions...what on earth delivers the full width hammer strike? New one on me.
Post the image on Rimfire Central..........as a puzzle.

Cheers, Tom

DonTom's gear list:DonTom's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Mike942
Regular MemberPosts: 385
In reply to DonTom, Oct 26, 2010

DonTom wrote:

Nice image. Several different firearms used judging by the hammer impressions...what on earth delivers the full width hammer strike? New one on me.

Cheers, Tom

My sheltered upbringing - I had no idea what I was looking at.
Mike.

Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list

DonTom wrote:

. . . I see two different .22 caliber guns and maybe five brands of cartridge to shoot fifty cute little bunny rabbits. The cartridges with the hammer mark that goes across the cartridge from one side to the other is a revolver I'm guessing and the ones with the smaller square shaped mark on just one side may be from a bolt or lever action rifle.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
DonTom
In reply to Tim in upstate NY, Oct 26, 2010

Tim in upstate NY wrote:

DonTom wrote:

. . . I see two different .22 caliber guns and maybe five brands of cartridge to shoot fifty cute little bunny rabbits. The cartridges with the hammer mark that goes across the cartridge from one side to the other is a revolver I'm guessing and the ones with the smaller square shaped mark on just one side may be from a bolt or lever action rifle.

The plot thickens: if you examine the top row, the four on the left are from 3 different rifles.

I didn't know about the revolver hammer shape, thanks for that. Revolver for hunting in NZ? HMMMMM

Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
aphextwin
Regular MemberPosts: 320Gear list

gun nuts boasting and glorifying violence on a photography forum. I hope it doesn't get any crazier than this.

aphextwin's gear list:aphextwin's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH
Angular Mo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,454Gear list
In reply to aphextwin, Oct 26, 2010

aphextwin wrote:

gun nuts boasting and glorifying violence on a photography forum. I hope it doesn't get any crazier than this.

why the insults ?

-- hide signature --

'Photos are what remain when the memories are forgotten' - Angular Mo.

Angular Mo's gear list:Angular Mo's gear list
Samsung NV7 OPS Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Olympus E-1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +9 more
Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list

DonTom wrote:

Tim in upstate NY wrote:

DonTom wrote:

The plot thickens: if you examine the top row, the four on the left are from 3 different rifles.

I didn't know about the revolver hammer shape, thanks for that. Revolver for hunting in NZ? HMMMMM

. . . If you're thinking of the third one from the left, it may just have some marks on it that aren't from the hammer. The pistol is possibly a single shot target shooting model rather than a revolver as I said previously and maybe even has a scope.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
timiano
Senior MemberPosts: 1,089
Actually

It's a great photo, done quite sensitively.

In some parts of the world, rabbits are livelihood and commercial pests. Photography subtly depicting real life, in my mind, is quite powerful, and the kind I enjoy.

Now off you pop, and enjoy your shrink wrapped chunk of 'don't know how or where it got here' piece of meat for you dinner tonight.

DonTom

aphextwin wrote:

I'm sure you have a perfectly valid viewpoint, coming from the Netherlands. But this is a forum that crosses many international boundaries, and to many folk a bit of chatter about various types of rimfire weapons is no more sinister than chatting about types of fishing methods.
Posting an image of a dead rabbit might have been more offensive?

The OP is from New Zealand (named after a Dutch province). As am I. In New Zealand, we have a terrible problem with introduced species that have become pests. Rabbits and Australian possums are two examples. Over the hill from the OP, I have shot over 100 possums in an evening, and have shot over 300 rabbits in a night down in Central Otago.

I don't think of myself as a gun nut, they are tools to be used very carefully, as are cars and chainsaws. Accurate and safe shooting requires practice, training and experience, just like driving.

That said, I suspect that the (empty) cartridges pictured have not actually been responsible for the deaths of any rabbits. Tim in upstate NY suggests some of the cartridges have been fired in a revolver. These are only legal to be used in very controlled conditions at a club, there is no situation in which they can legally be used for hunting in New Zealand.

That in no way detracts from a fine photograph, and a (fun to me) cryptic title........I think I'll take the kids to the local gun club tonight and dream of home.

Tom

timiano

Camo stock, camo satchel....and massive glow in the dark hats

Love it!

DonTom
In reply to timiano, Oct 26, 2010

So do my kids/

Rabbits can distinguish green from blue, but not much else when it comes to colour. The hats are for the humans to see!

aphextwin
Regular MemberPosts: 320Gear list

DonTom wrote:

aphextwin wrote:

I'm sure you have a perfectly valid viewpoint, coming from the Netherlands. But this is a forum that crosses many international boundaries, and to many folk a bit of chatter about various types of rimfire weapons is no more sinister than chatting about types of fishing methods.
Posting an image of a dead rabbit might have been more offensive?

The OP is from New Zealand (named after a Dutch province). As am I. In New Zealand, we have a terrible problem with introduced species that have become pests. Rabbits and Australian possums are two examples. Over the hill from the OP, I have shot over 100 possums in an evening, and have shot over 300 rabbits in a night down in Central Otago.

I don't think of myself as a gun nut, they are tools to be used very carefully, as are cars and chainsaws. Accurate and safe shooting requires practice, training and experience, just like driving.

That said, I suspect that the (empty) cartridges pictured have not actually been responsible for the deaths of any rabbits. Tim in upstate NY suggests some of the cartridges have been fired in a revolver. These are only legal to be used in very controlled conditions at a club, there is no situation in which they can legally be used for hunting in New Zealand.

That in no way detracts from a fine photograph, and a (fun to me) cryptic title........I think I'll take the kids to the local gun club tonight and dream of home.

Tom

fair enough. happy hunting!

aphextwin's gear list:aphextwin's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH
Sam Bennett
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,235Gear list
Fascinating. (nt)
In reply to hindesite, Oct 26, 2010
-- hide signature --
 Sam Bennett's gear list:Sam Bennett's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
redrunnertc
Contributing MemberPosts: 710

Wait - revolvers are illegal, but suppressors ARE legal in NZ?

Just the opposite here in the US ... (well, silencers/suppressors are legal, but extremely heavily taxed)

DonTom
In reply to redrunnertc, Oct 26, 2010

Firstly,

Thank you for being understanding aphextwin. You are much more gracious than many on this forum.

Secondly,

redrunnertc wrote:

Wait - revolvers are illegal, but suppressors ARE legal in NZ?

Just the opposite here in the US ... (well, silencers/suppressors are legal, but extremely heavily taxed)

Yep, suppressors are legal. We don't have many problems with gun related crime, except for this idiot last weekend:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4274021/Decision-to-charge-hunter-welcomed

Almost anything wild with four legs is considered a noxious pest in New Zealand, and the government emphasis is on destruction rather than sport. Not all hunters agree with this, but a suppressed .22 or centrefire is much more effective when it comes to pest destruction. A whole mob of goats can be shot out if they don't know where the danger is.

Thirdly,

hindesite, I am really sorry for hijacking this thread. I didn't intend too, perhaps I am too bored at the moment. I'll go and take more photos!

timiano

When you're out taking pictures of wildlife, and click the shutter release, do you utter the words "bang you're dead" secretly to yourself?

misolo
Contributing MemberPosts: 820Gear list

DonTom wrote:

Over the hill from the OP, I have shot over 100 possums in an evening, and have shot over 300 rabbits in a night down in Central Otago.

Now you got me curious: What do you do with 300 rabbits? That'll fill up the back of a truck... Or do you not collect them? Are there indigenous species who are natural scavengers?

misolo's gear list:misolo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix XP10 Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +12 more
DonTom
In reply to timiano, Oct 26, 2010

Nice one. Not lately, I'm a bit undergunned with a 42mm kit lens.........

timiano wrote:

When you're out taking pictures of wildlife, and click the shutter release, do you utter the words "bang you're dead" secretly to yourself?

DonTom
In reply to misolo, Oct 26, 2010

Quite a lot of the animals will be left to rot or be scavenged by Harrier hawks. Any other scavengers (wild cats, mustelids, wild pigs) are also pests, so are targets.

I keep a lot for dog food, and my own consumption, but can't process that many in an evening! I do like to eat rabbit and hares (jackrabbits).

Fur is plucked from possums, it gets blended with Merino wool for a lovely yarn, light and softer than mohair. Worth stopping for.

misolo wrote:

DonTom wrote:

Over the hill from the OP, I have shot over 100 possums in an evening, and have shot over 300 rabbits in a night down in Central Otago.

Now you got me curious: What do you do with 300 rabbits? That'll fill up the back of a truck... Or do you not collect them? Are there indigenous species who are natural scavengers?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads