How large a compact flash card can the 7D take?

Started Oct 22, 2010 | Discussions
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
How large a compact flash card can the 7D take?
Oct 22, 2010

With the announcement of the 128GB compact flash cards

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10011904siliconpower128gbcf.asp

early this year I began to wonder just how large a compact flash card the 7D can take. My largest card is only 32GB and I cannot find any information about card size on the Canon web site.

Has anyone used a 64GB card in the 7D? Does anyone have an interest in the 128GB cards?

elfroggio
elfroggio MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,806
Like?
Re: How large a compact flash card can the 7D take?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Oct 22, 2010

The largest CF card, according to the current standard for Compact Flash cards can only be up to 128Gb. That's because the addressing is only 28 bit.

All cameras that support cards larger than 2Gb CF cards automatically support the 128Gb cards. Please note that this is not related to the speed.

I think that I've included enough techno-babble.

-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://foto-biz.com
The Business of Being a Photographer -- Lightroom Q&A -- Canon 7D

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,891Gear list
Like?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Oct 22, 2010

MikeFromMesa wrote:

early this year I began to wonder just how large a compact flash card the 7D can take. My largest card is only 32GB and I cannot find any information about card size on the Canon web site.

Has anyone used a 64GB card in the 7D? Does anyone have an interest in the 128GB cards?

Why would you want a card that big? I recently picked up a high-speed 16GB card, and even shooting raw that's the largest I feel comfortable with. Besides, with 128GB being new they're also going to cost more per GB.

Mark

dean shull
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Mark B., Apr 2, 2013

We tried the MONSTER 64GB and it worked great in our 7D for years.  This was fantastic since occasionally the 16gb would fill up with out noticing especially when shooting non fiction-off the cuff-sort of shots.  Or if we had a single shooter that was also interviewing the subject, he might miss that the card running out, if he was not watching the monitor every moment.

The cons are - if you format it in the camera it seems to mess it up sometimes and you dont get the full capacity.  We had to use a swiss knife utility on pc to reformat the card properly to resurrect the card once.  It seemed to work fine if we reformatted and emptied the trash each time on the mac. NOT the camera.

Also, it locked up on a transfer once, and when we rebooted we lost the card forever as well as the ENTIRE DAY of shooting, the upside of a smaller card is that you loose more when they go bad.  It seems all cards may go bad at some point after reading about the most expensive cards, they often go bad as well.

Use them wisely.

elfroggio
elfroggio MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,806
Like?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Apr 2, 2013

MikeFromMesa wrote:

Yes the 64Gb works but there is one restriction according to Canon. Can't use it for updating the firmware (the largest size is 32Gb).

I use a few 32Gb and I would be interested in the 128Gb once the price goes down. For trips, puppy and birding.

-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://www.foto-biz.com
The Business of Being a Photographer -- Lightroom Q&A

Mark B.
Like?
sorry, 2-1/2 year old thread...
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Apr 2, 2013

Just noticed the age of this thread, not to mention I replied already lol.  What's with the resurrection of all these old threads???

Wei Kelun
Contributing MemberPosts: 507
Like?
Re: sorry, 2-1/2 year old thread...
In reply to Mark B., Apr 3, 2013

Mark B. wrote:

Just noticed the age of this thread, not to mention I replied already lol.  What's with the resurrection of all these old threads???

I noticed this is an old thread too, but I'm compulsively forced to reply... can't... resist... I use a pair of 1000X 128 Gb cards for traveling with my 7D when I don't want to lug a computer around. I can shoot for weeks and not fill those cards up. Never once had any problems, and they're the third-fastest CF cards made, according to Rob Gallbraith.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_wb_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-10294

JAG007
Regular MemberPosts: 109Gear list
Like?
In reply to Wei Kelun, Apr 3, 2013

Wei Kelun wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

I noticed this is an old thread too, but I'm compulsively forced to reply... can't... resist... I use a pair of 1000X 128 Gb cards for traveling with my 7D when I don't want to lug a computer around. I can shoot for weeks and not fill those cards up. Never once had any problems, and they're the third-fastest CF cards made, according to Rob Gallbraith.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_wb_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-10294

On principle I do not use cards bigger than 16G, and I shoot only in RAW.  I recently had a new 8G Sandisk 60mb/s card lose its memory chip and I could not recover any images and lost a three hour studio shoot as well as other client images.  I could not even format the card, it was that dead.  I use smaller cards in the event of something going wrong you at least limit the quantity of images that you could lose to what you can get on an eight or 18G card.  That is my penny's worth!!

JAG007's gear list:JAG007's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +3 more
Steve Balcombe
Forum ProPosts: 10,638
Like?
In reply to JAG007, Apr 3, 2013

JAG007 wrote:

On principle I do not use cards bigger than 16G, and I shoot only in RAW.  I recently had a new 8G Sandisk 60mb/s card lose its memory chip and I could not recover any images and lost a three hour studio shoot as well as other client images.

I could not even format the card, it was that dead.  I use smaller cards in the event of something going wrong you at least limit the quantity of images that you could lose to what you can get on an eight or 18G card.  That is my penny's worth!!

Each card has interface electronics and of course the physical connector - so more cards means more points of failure. Changing cards more frequently means more wear and tear on the pins in the camera. Cards which are not in the camera are more likely to be lost or damaged.

And then there's the shots you potentially miss when you get that 'card full' message and have to fumble around finding a fresh card, swapping it over and putting the used card in a safe place. Shots missed when nothing has actually gone wrong - how frustrating is that?

So for several reasons you are much less likely to have a problem if you use a single large card.

I understand the fear of "losing everything" with larger cards but that has to be weighed against the greater risk of failure/damage/loss with small cards. I'm 100% satisfied that one large card (plus backups, often your older smaller cards) is the way to go.

CrazySwiss
Regular MemberPosts: 119Gear list
Like?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Apr 3, 2013

about 36,4 mm × 42,8 mm × 3,3 mm

CrazySwiss's gear list:CrazySwiss's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Apple iPhone 4S +1 more
JAG007
Regular MemberPosts: 109Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steve Balcombe, Apr 3, 2013

Steve Balcombe wrote:

JAG007 wrote:

On principle I do not use cards bigger than 16G, and I shoot only in RAW.  I recently had a new 8G Sandisk 60mb/s card lose its memory chip and I could not recover any images and lost a three hour studio shoot as well as other client images.

I could not even format the card, it was that dead.  I use smaller cards in the event of something going wrong you at least limit the quantity of images that you could lose to what you can get on an eight or 18G card.  That is my penny's worth!!

Each card has interface electronics and of course the physical connector - so more cards means more points of failure. Changing cards more frequently means more wear and tear on the pins in the camera. Cards which are not in the camera are more likely to be lost or damaged.

And then there's the shots you potentially miss when you get that 'card full' message and have to fumble around finding a fresh card, swapping it over and putting the used card in a safe place. Shots missed when nothing has actually gone wrong - how frustrating is that?

So for several reasons you are much less likely to have a problem if you use a single large card.

I understand the fear of "losing everything" with larger cards but that has to be weighed against the greater risk of failure/damage/loss with small cards. I'm 100% satisfied that one large card (plus backups, often your older smaller cards) is the way to go.

Steve I agree with all your points, I am thinking of going to the 5d for the sake of an extra card slot!!:-)

JAG007's gear list:JAG007's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +3 more
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 4,025Gear list
Like?
In reply to CrazySwiss, Apr 3, 2013

CrazySwiss wrote:

So anything smaller should fit as well

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,365Gear list
Like?
Re: 2-1/2 year old thread... still relevant
In reply to Mark B., Apr 3, 2013

If you were replying to an old thread asking if they were going to come out with monitors bigger than 15" or if there would ever be a successor to the 20D, that would be a waste of effort. But questions about memory card sizes still come up and therefore this thread is still relevant and worth a response.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
Mark B.
Like?
In reply to Steve Balcombe, Apr 3, 2013

Steve Balcombe wrote:

JAG007 wrote:

Oh good grief.  I've been using CF cards for 14 years, and have never had a failure because of wear & tear.  The one time a card failed it was fairly new, it was simply an electronic failure on the card.  Kingston replaced it.  As for losing them, the reason I prefer CF to SD is because of the size.  I have a card wallet where they're always accessible and easy to find.

Never missed a shot or had to "fumble around" trying to find one.  A 16GB card holds 600 raw images.  I don't use a machine gun approach to my shooting, and I know when the card is getting full so I change it at an appropriate moment.

That's fine.  I prefer smaller cards.

CrazySwiss
Regular MemberPosts: 119Gear list
Like?
In reply to Limburger, Apr 3, 2013

Limburger wrote:

CrazySwiss wrote:

So anything smaller should fit as well

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

you can also put an SD-card in there; preferably with an adapter to it..

CrazySwiss's gear list:CrazySwiss's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Apple iPhone 4S +1 more
tonyjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,153Gear list
Like?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Apr 3, 2013

I have a 32 gb 30 mb and a 32 gb 60 mb . 4 - 16 gb 30 mb .

I have found the only time I use the 32 gb - 60 mb is for bursts .

Shooting raw +jpeg you can fill the 32 gb , but it takes a while to down load from camera .

I really don't see a need for anything larger than 32 , but I felt the same way with 16 gb on the XTI .

My opinion is 2 cards are better than one = 2 - 16 better than 1 - 32 . I would buy a faster card - like a 16 gb at 60 mb rather than a 32 at 30 mb .

Sorry , kind of wandered off subject .

tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads