What to do with .MOV files????

Started Oct 13, 2010 | Discussions
Autographhound1
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
What to do with .MOV files????
Oct 13, 2010

I've recently picked up a 60D. Love it. I like to use it to take several minute videos of the kids. What in the world is everyone doing with these .MOV files? I'd like to put some of them onto a DVD, but nothing I have will convert them to .AVI or .WMV. I've read some other posts, but I'm not spending $799 on Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 just to convert .MOV files. Does anything in the Canon software provided convert these things? I just don't understand how Canon uses a format, but doesn't supply some basic converting software so we can all actually use these files apart from our camera/computer. What in the world do you do if you want to send Grandma some videos of the kids? This has not been very user friendly.

Jerrich
Senior MemberPosts: 2,551Gear list
Like?
Re: What to do with .MOV files????
In reply to Autographhound1, Oct 13, 2010

I guess you could always upload your videos to YouTube for grandma to watch.
JR
--
Nikon F
Argus C44R (gorgeous)
Fuji S100fs
Canon A20, A80, A710, A650, G11
Collections: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25863948@N07/collections/

Jerrich's gear list:Jerrich's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Canon PowerShot G7 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
judge_dredd
Forum MemberPosts: 81Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jerrich, Oct 13, 2010

The PS3 will play them off of a memory stick or stream them over your home network. I'm not completely sure, but think that some stand alone blue ray players should play them too.

judge_dredd's gear list:judge_dredd's gear list
Nikon D5100 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +2 more
Rotlex
Contributing MemberPosts: 885
Like?

I use an HD camcorder for most stuff, but, with my recent purchase of an S95 and a D60, I've been doing more video with both of them. I use a Mac, and generally, I offload the files from the memory card, and import them into iMovie. This allows for very quick putting together of a short, or long, movie, and provides an easy to to distribute it via the web, DVD etc.

I then take the original files and back them up to a large external mirrored drive system.
--
Steve
http://web.mac.com/rotlex

Autographhound1
Like?
In reply to Rotlex, Oct 13, 2010

I've got Windows, so the IMovie thing is out for me. Canon is the one pushing the video ability of these cameras. They sure don't advertise ahead of time that the only way to play them for other people is to have your camera hooked up to the television. God forbid you want to show some of your videos to people who don't live on your block. If Canon is going to use the .MOV format for their videos, they have a responsibility to provide software to make use of them.

gordonsbuck
Senior MemberPosts: 1,388
Like?
Any Video Converter

Download the free version of Any Video Converter, http://www.any-video-converter.com , and convert to a format that matches your players or editors.

wildo
Regular MemberPosts: 169
Like?

Download vlc or quicktime.

Autographhound1
Like?
Re: Any Video Converter
In reply to gordonsbuck, Oct 13, 2010

gordonsbuck wrote:

Download the free version of Any Video Converter, http://www.any-video-converter.com , and convert to a format that matches your players or editors.

Thanks for the excellent response! That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I can live with spending $30 for a program. I'll try it out first before paying to make sure it does the job well. Hopefully the quality of the video it converts to won't be crappy. I see full HD videos in WMV format, so it really should just convert HD .MOV to HD .WMV.

SitStill
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?

What version of Windows are you using? Try downloading Windows Live Movie Maker 2011. It's free, provides some nice editing features for movies and photo slideshows and it allows you to save the MOV files to various formats that can be uploaded to the Internet if you choose. You may also be able to burn a DVD, either directly from Movie Maker, or using Windows Media Player, depending on the version of WIndows you have.

Jen

Autographhound1
Like?
In reply to SitStill, Oct 13, 2010

SitStill wrote:

What version of Windows are you using? Try downloading Windows Live Movie Maker 2011. It's free, provides some nice editing features for movies and photo slideshows and it allows you to save the MOV files to various formats that can be uploaded to the Internet if you choose. You may also be able to burn a DVD, either directly from Movie Maker, or using Windows Media Player, depending on the version of WIndows you have.

Jen

Thanks Jen! Free sounds great too! I have Windows Vista. I'll definitely give Movie Maker a try and see what I end up with. At least I have a few options now for converting these things without buying an $800 program.

SitStill
Like?

You're welcome. Try it, you don't have much too lose if you don't like it or it doesn't work for you.

If you do want to buy software, you can also get Adobe Premiere Elements (the movie editing software) either alone or with Adobe Photoshop Elements. It doesn't cost $800. Premiere Elements 9 is going for $100 - or $80 if you want to try to get the rebate.

I don't have it on my Win 7 computer, but doesn't Adobe's RealPlayer play MOV files? I recall it allows you to convert to a few different formats, including Flash (though the "premium formats" are available only with the paid version)? But no editing of clips beyond maybe simple trimming. That might be an even easier option for you, and you can download it for free as well. I've used it in the past for converting short videos to the proper format for my phone.

Good luck.

SitStill
Like?

One last thought - the 60D doesn't come with the usual Zoom Browser software? Because my SX20 did, and though the softwaredoesn't provide much useful in the way of editing, it does allow me to save the files as AVI.

With Vista, I think Microsoft was still providing the older Windows Movie Maker as part of the basic installation, so you may already have that on your computer! If it doesn't work for your MOV files, you can always install Windows Live Movie Maker separately, I did.

Jen

SDRebel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,489
Like?
DPP or ZB and Adobe Premier 9

Either Canon's DPP or ZB (I foreget which) will convert Canon movie output to one or more other formats.

Additionally, as mentioned in another post, Adobe's Premier 9 (not 8 or 7, etc., but 9) will now process Canon files, e.g., .mov files from my S95, including, of course, .mov files shot in HD mode.

Of course, to use Premier 9 and actually create a movie with transitions and titles, etc., you will need a fairly powerful processor.

I found the prior editions of Premier essentially worthless for my uses; however, the latest edition (9) works for me with my S95 movies which means that I can adjust contrast, brightness, etc., etc.

So, if you want to do anything more than just play your .mov files, my experience with Premier 9 is that it is well worth the money.

Autographhound1
Like?

SitStill wrote:

You're welcome. Try it, you don't have much too lose if you don't like it or it doesn't work for you.

If you do want to buy software, you can also get Adobe Premiere Elements (the movie editing software) either alone or with Adobe Photoshop Elements. It doesn't cost $800. Premiere Elements 9 is going for $100 - or $80 if you want to try to get the rebate.

I don't have it on my Win 7 computer, but doesn't Adobe's RealPlayer play MOV files? I recall it allows you to convert to a few different formats, including Flash (though the "premium formats" are available only with the paid version)? But no editing of clips beyond maybe simple trimming. That might be an even easier option for you, and you can download it for free as well. I've used it in the past for converting short videos to the proper format for my phone.

Good luck.

Thanks. I like the RealPlayer idea too! I already have that on my system as I know I've converted RealPlayer videos to .WMV. When I get home I'll have to try opening up a .MOV file and see what happens and what it'll let me convert it to. You've been very helpful. Much appreciated!

Jeff

dave_bass5
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,907Gear list
Like?

Personally i would go for something like Sony Vegas MSP.

Its pretty cheap and you will get a lot of features for your money. While editing might not be a priority now its great to be able to cut out shaky or out of focus footage very quickly.
Ive been using Vegas for a few years and never found it to be lacking.
Plus you can convert to most file types.
--
Dave.

Gallery @
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davebass5/
http://davepearce.smugmug.com

Videos @ http://www.vimeo.com/user464364/videos

dave_bass5's gear list:dave_bass5's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +7 more
SitStill
Like?
Re: DPP or ZB and Adobe Premier 9
In reply to SDRebel, Oct 13, 2010

SDRebel wrote:

Either Canon's DPP or ZB (I foreget which) will convert Canon movie output to one or more other formats.

Additionally, as mentioned in another post, Adobe's Premier 9 (not 8 or 7, etc., but 9) will now process Canon files, e.g., .mov files from my S95, including, of course, .mov files shot in HD mode.

Of course, to use Premier 9 and actually create a movie with transitions and titles, etc., you will need a fairly powerful processor.

I found the prior editions of Premier essentially worthless for my uses; however, the latest edition (9) works for me with my S95 movies which means that I can adjust contrast, brightness, etc., etc.

So, if you want to do anything more than just play your .mov files, my experience with Premier 9 is that it is well worth the money.

I'm wondering if you weren't able to edit MOV files in previous versions, or had other problems? I still have Premiere Elements 4 on my computer and it does play/edit MOV files, though playback is a bit jerky. I have the minimum configuration for version 9, so I've put off upgrading for now. I ask because there might be inexpensive earlier version of Premiere Elements out there now that a newer version has been released, like at warehouse club? Most of my clips are fairly short now, since I no longer have an hours worth of miniDV video to chop up!

SitStill
Like?

One thing I did notice about WLMM on my Vista laptop is that is doesn't play the videos very well. The audio is fine but the video is jerky. But I converted a clip to wmv and it played fine. (On my Win 7 computer the program "prepares the video for playback" and there is a warning about playback quality being lower, but that warning is missing in the Vista version.) I also made sure I had the latest Quicktime installed, just in case that made a difference. Anyway, your best bet is to experiment with what works for you!

gordonsbuck
Senior MemberPosts: 1,388
Like?
In reply to SDRebel, Oct 13, 2010

I had similar bad experiences with Premier Elements V7, upgraded to V9 and now can work much better with .MOV files (although still slow processing those large files).

Bigbuggy
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
In reply to gordonsbuck, Oct 14, 2010

I have a Rebel T1 and shot some video with it and used the ZoomBrowser EX to convert MOV files to AVI. Import the files into the Zoombrowser and click on export and choose the AVI format and follow instructions and then you can burn to dvd. However I must say the process is very slow even with a fast computer.

I gave up on video with the DSLR because of the time involved and bought a Canon HFS10 video camera and a dedicated HIdef burner and it is done quickly.
Good luck with your endeavor.

swnw
Senior MemberPosts: 1,524Gear list
Like?
In reply to Autographhound1, Oct 14, 2010

Handbrake - easy, fast and user friendly.
--
Best regards, swnw.

swnw's gear list:swnw's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads