My EOS 5D freezes, any one has ever had same problem?

Started Oct 12, 2010 | Discussions
seta666
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
My EOS 5D freezes, any one has ever had same problem?
Oct 12, 2010

Hi,

Last June I bought a 2º hand 5D, it had around 80.000 actuations but was in very good shape. I did not plan to do extensive use of it but then I started to do macro stacks, so I might have done another 30.000 actuations in these months.

I while ago the camera started to freeze in the mirror lock up process. Normally it would lock up mirror-open shutter-close shutter-get mirror down; when it freezes mirror fails to lock up (I know is mirror which fails as for macro stacks I take long exposures, and when mirror fails it gets down inmediatly, failing to lock up) to camera screen shows info but I can not do anything other that switching camera off and on again, which gets the camera to normal operation (I have heard of some people having to take out the batteries, not my case)
I do not get any error messages either

When I do normal shotting camera freezes in the same way from time to time, so it is nort becuse of the mirror lock up function

My problem is tha canon spain has two methods; in one yo can get an stimate (worth if is a small repair) and the other is a flat rate of 450€ (600$), (worth if you need to change mirror-block and shutter same time)

So, anyone has anyidea of what the problem may be?
Regards

Brad Durack
Contributing MemberPosts: 766
Like?
Re: My EOS 5D freezes, any one has ever had same problem?
In reply to seta666, Oct 12, 2010

i suspect the previous owner might know...

and whats with the name?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
seta666
Like?
Camera was OK
In reply to Brad Durack, Oct 12, 2010

The camera did work very well no faults for more than 3 months of heavy use, so no previous owner fault
I do not understand the "whats with the name" part, sorry
Regards

Brad Durack
Like?
Re: Camera was OK

whats with the numbers in your name?

may i ask, how did you get an accurate number of shutter actuations having not owned the camera from new?

Brad Durack
Like?

80,000 is a very low figure for a 5d original, mines done over 700,000

seta666
Like?
In reply to Brad Durack, Oct 12, 2010

Brad Durack wrote:

whats with the numbers in your name?

may i ask, how did you get an accurate number of shutter actuations having not owned the camera from new?

The numbers are just that, numbers. I am not a religious person but when I got my first email seta was allready taken, seta2 also so I just added 666; I understand some people may find it ofensive but it is not my intention

The previous owner use to send it for sensor cleaning to canon, they can read number of actuations. 80.000 was an stimate from him(could be 60.000 or 120.000, I do not care).
The camera had been taken good care of, my 6 month 40D looked older at the time

I bought it for 700€, which was about 200€ cheaper that normal 5D 2º hand price, I new shutters do brake but I also new that 450€ canon would repair it no matter what

The thing is that I want to know if it needs a small repair ( I would get an stimate) or a big one (flat rate better then). You can not change your mind once you have choosen a kind of service

May be one of the many Dpreview members had same problem I am having

Regards

Larry1dsII
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?

Has your camera had the retrofit for a faulty mirror that can dislodge and interfere with actuation ??

seta666
Like?
In reply to Larry1dsII, Oct 12, 2010

Larry1dsII wrote:

Has your camera had the retrofit for a faulty mirror that can dislodge and interfere with actuation ??

If you mean the mirror fault some 5D´s had I do not know, I can ask previous owner. But the fault has nothing to do with mirror falling out. Mirror is well glued in place, the thing is that it fails to lock up

Regards

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads