How to format CF card on an olympus Evolt e500

Started Oct 8, 2010 | Discussions
Schmidt1989
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
How to format CF card on an olympus Evolt e500
Oct 8, 2010

Hey all,

I usually reformat my cf card on my home pc, using windows vista, and it works fine. (I have to do this because every so many pictures, my 4gb card says i can only take like 10 more raw pictures, even with a blank card.) Anyway, it's just something i've gotten used to doing. Now I have a macbook pro, and its much more difficult. I thought I erased it, but now my camera says card error.

Any ideas on how to fix the card?

mn88
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,468
Like?
Re: How to format CF card on an olympus Evolt e500
In reply to Schmidt1989, Oct 8, 2010

Hi. This is easily done in camera. Pretty much every time I put new images on a card (after downloading the previous ones) I reformat my CF card in camera. I figure it's best to let the camera do it rather than a computer. Perhaps that's part of your trouble with the CF card?
Hit the menu button, and pick the first option - Card Setup. Then format.

I've never had that particular problem with a CF card. The only one's that ever gave me trouble were xd cards, and I threw those out a long time ago.
--

Marc

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Schmidt1989
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
In reply to mn88, Oct 9, 2010

It worked!! Thank you!

I had heard of formatting in the camera, and had actually always heard it was the much better option as opposed to formatting on a computer, I just never knew how it was done.

Learning every day.

GeorgeH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,923Gear list
Like?
In reply to mn88, Oct 10, 2010

I second what mn88 wrote. Always format using your camera, not your PC. The camera will determine the proper format and all.

mn88 wrote:

Hi. This is easily done in camera. Pretty much every time I put new images on a card (after downloading the previous ones) I reformat my CF card in camera. I figure it's best to let the camera do it rather than a computer. Perhaps that's part of your trouble with the CF card?
Hit the menu button, and pick the first option - Card Setup. Then format.

I've never had that particular problem with a CF card. The only one's that ever gave me trouble were xd cards, and I threw those out a long time ago.
--

Marc

GeorgeH's gear list:GeorgeH's gear list
Nikon D5100 Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM +1 more
Lucy
Forum ProPosts: 30,905
Like?
The camera cleans the card better, too....
In reply to GeorgeH, Oct 12, 2010

....the computer can leave bits behind and that would slow down the card. You'll probably have more shooting space now.

And if you change cameras.....always begin by formatting a card IN the Camera you are now using and do this before taking any photos.

Glad you got good advice and that it's working for you.
--
Lucy

E- 510, 40- 150, 14- 54, 70-300 and ZD 35 Macro lenses,U ZI owner,Olympus C30-20Z
http://www.pbase.com/lucy
FCAS Member #98, Oly Division
'Photography is the art of seeing what others do not.'

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads