Canon EOS 550d - Emergency! Card reading error!

Started Sep 21, 2010 | Discussions
stefanoc76
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Canon EOS 550d - Emergency! Card reading error!
Sep 21, 2010

Emergency! Need to fix card reading error. I'm alone on holiday! Canon EOS 550d aka Rebel T2i

Hello! Sorry to be verbose but I'm alone in USA for holiday with limited internet and using iPhone. I already tried several solutions with no luck so I wanna explain everything in detail.

I don't have a laptop because of the baggage weight but I'm saving my pics on a Nexto Extreme 320gb.

This was the state of my gear when the problem occurred:

Canon EOS 550d firmware version 1.0.8 bought in June 2010

Sigma 17-70 zoom lens

A 16gb class 6 sdhc card. Previously copied on Nexto but not reformatted.

A 32gb class 6 sdhc card previously copied on Nexto. Reformatted in camera. No problems at all. Used for 2 days.

When I replaced the camera battery with a spare one, and the 32 gb card with the 16gb card, I started having the "no card in camera" error. I tried to put the 32gb card back inside. Same error!
I went immediately to a camera shop to try a new 8gb sdhc card. Same error.

My 16gb card could be read by a different camera and the pictures were still there. I formatted it in this camera and tried on mine. Same error!

Using a Starbucks wifi I learnt that I could hard reset my camera. I managed to locate the internal battery and remove it to reset the camera (had to cut a little piece of plastic to do so). I still get the error on all cards. Even the new 8gb one!
Now I need to try and reinstall the firmware!

I will have to fly to Las Vegas tomorrow September 21st 2010 and I need to find assistance there! Please tell me what stores could help me doing this in Vegas!! I need to save my holiday!!!

Thanx

Riccardo

Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,803Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 550d - Emergency! Card reading error!
In reply to stefanoc76, Sep 21, 2010

What makes you think that reinstalling firmware will help? To me it sounds like your camera needs to go to Canon for repair.

You may wish to consider renting a camera for your stay till you can return home and send your camera for repair.

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/cameras/canon-eos-rebel-t2i

PHONE

888-664-LENS
901-754-9100

(I am not associated with this company. Link provided for convenience only.)
--
Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,450Gear list
Like?
can you borrow someone's computer to reformat the SD card

Nothing much you can do. You're only solution is to borrow someone's computer and try to reformatted your SD card again. Beware - many older SD card READER from 2 years ago cannot read / format 16g/32g SDHC reliably. I had to replaced my SD card reader as well. You best bet is probably Fry's Electronic in Las Vegas just off the Freeway. Stopped by and ask the tech to help you out.

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Nikon D3100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
stefanoc76
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
In reply to Olga Johnson, Sep 21, 2010

The camera didn't fall. It didn't get wet and worked all day long. But after I plugged the 16gb card that was copied by the Nexto device I started getting the error. I used that card before with no problems. I think something went wrong in the camera software because , as I said before, I tried my card in another camera in the shop and it worked. I could see my pictures. I tried reformatting it in that camera but it didn't help.

Any brand new card won't work. But I don't think it's a mechanical problem cause I believe it would not happen so suddenly. The cards pins are clean too.

Reinstalling the firmware would replace the software. I will also try and reformat the cards.

Isn't there any camera rental based in Vegas rather than having it shipped?

Riccardo

nofumble
Senior MemberPosts: 1,260
Like?
Is your spare battery an OEM Canon brand?

Could the over voltage fry the circuit? or maybe some static charge?

stomrunner
Regular MemberPosts: 189
Like?
Re: Is your spare battery an OEM Canon brand?
In reply to nofumble, Sep 21, 2010

It sounds like the card reader on the camera is malfunctioning?

geekyg2010
Regular MemberPosts: 314
Like?
Re: Is your spare battery an OEM Canon brand?
In reply to stomrunner, Sep 21, 2010

Sounds like the camera needs to go back to Canon ...

Alex Zhilyakov
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?
In reply to stefanoc76, Sep 22, 2010

Based on your description of events, I'd speculate two possible reasons:

1. Your spare battery does not provide sufficient voltage to the camera, and to SD card, to operate correctly. Try original battery, fully charged. I had this exact scenario with my point-and-shoot.

2. You accidentally broke a connector of camera's card reader. In this case the camera needs to be repaired by Canon. For your stay, you can rent another body from lensrentals.com or similar site.

-Alex

CaptainEvo
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to stefanoc76, Apr 7, 2013

Hi there,

I just experienced the same problem. To be clear, I use two orginal canon batteries and a 16GB class10 SanDisk memory card.

Problems began about 5 hours into a music video shoot with friends, I had changed the battery an not the card, during the 3rd take of a shot the video just stopped recording, I noticed the counter on the left showed 00:00:00 recording time remaining, so I thought the card was full.

Switched it off, changed cards and got the message "No Card In Camera." Thought this might be a problem with the card, changed it back to the previous card an still it said "No Card In Camera."

I changed cards over an over, changed batteries, swithced it off then back on, still the same problem.

But when I plug the camera into my PC via USB I can view the videos on the card so the camera is actually reading the card, there is no machenical problem. This must be software, but I'm running the latest firmware Version 1.0.9, so can I reinstall the same firmware? Would that fix the problem?

If anyone has managed to find out what is the cause of this problem then please be so kind as to advise.

Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,803Gear list
Like?
In reply to CaptainEvo, Apr 7, 2013

CaptainEvo wrote:

Hi there,

I just experienced the same problem. To be clear, I use two orginal canon batteries and a 16GB class10 SanDisk memory card.

Problems began about 5 hours into a music video shoot with friends, I had changed the battery an not the card, during the 3rd take of a shot the video just stopped recording, I noticed the counter on the left showed 00:00:00 recording time remaining, so I thought the card was full.

Switched it off, changed cards and got the message "No Card In Camera." Thought this might be a problem with the card, changed it back to the previous card an still it said "No Card In Camera."

I changed cards over an over, changed batteries, swithced it off then back on, still the same problem.

But when I plug the camera into my PC via USB I can view the videos on the card so the camera is actually reading the card, there is no machenical problem. This must be software, but I'm running the latest firmware Version 1.0.9, so can I reinstall the same firmware? Would that fix the problem?

The PC is reading the card, not the camera.  The camera is merely providing the connection from card to PC.  It's not a software problem.  You will have to send your camera to Canon for replacement of the card reader.  I had the same thing happen to my 7D camera.  The camera's reader had to be replaced.  It had a different type of card but the problem was similar.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +16 more
Pete4
Contributing MemberPosts: 747
Like?
In reply to Olga Johnson, Apr 7, 2013

If he can read the card in camera from PC then reader itself should be working properly, it's something after the reader that's is not connecting and that would eliminate the first thing I would suspect, worn out metal prongs, that make contact with card. Canon may be the safest bet, but it may be not cost efficient. I'm not sure how much used 550D goes for, but can't be more than $300-$400 and if Canon wants much more than $100 for repair, maybe it's time for upgrade?

Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pete4, Apr 8, 2013

Pete4 wrote:

If he can read the card in camera from PC then reader itself should be working properly, it's something after the reader that's is not connecting and that would eliminate the first thing I would suspect, worn out metal prongs, that make contact with card. Canon may be the safest bet, but it may be not cost efficient. I'm not sure how much used 550D goes for, but can't be more than $300-$400 and if Canon wants much more than $100 for repair, maybe it's time for upgrade?

I don't understand this kind of thinking.  It is as if a camera that has been repaired is suddenly less functional post-repair.  On the contrary - a camera that has just been repaired, cleaned and tested is arguably in better condition than another similar camera of the same age which has not been cleaned, tested and repaired.

Say it costs $150 to repair.  So what?  Then they will have a fully functional camera for $150.  The 'upgrade' alternative will cost what, $500-$700?

Am I missing something?

-- hide signature --

Yogi
When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!
See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.
Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
momogee
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to stefanoc76, 6 months ago

I hope this isn't way too late. I had the same problem and just successfully fixed it! I hope you have the same problem.

A part of my old SD card came off and stayed inside the card slot. It did 2 things.

1. prevent the spring action from catching the card. I would push in the card and it wouldn't catch. I had to close the door to keep the card in. It worked fine for about 2 weeks.

2. Until today. It would just give me a card error or no card in camera error or a bunch of other laments. I was very sad!

Then i peeked in with a flashlight and saw a few chunks of blue in the slot. I managed to pull them out with shaking, canned air and smacking. Lo and behold, all was well.

Photo of the pieces and a 67mm lens cap for scale.

http://imgur.com/4w8eELQ

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads