How does X100 manual focus work?

Started Sep 20, 2010 | Discussions
rezaf_2000
Regular MemberPosts: 335
Like?
How does X100 manual focus work?
Sep 20, 2010

The main reason manual focus works on m4/3 (EVIL) cameras is the focus magnification on their LCD / EVF. Rangefinders work by having two separate images shown on the OVF, which merge together as you get the subject in focus.

How does the hybrid OVF help with manual focus? Or is it autofocus only when using the viewfinder, and manual focus can be only done via the back LCD?

lolwut
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Re: How does X100 manual focus work?
In reply to rezaf_2000, Sep 21, 2010

I would also very much like to know this.

It seems the VF is just a normal one, not a rangefinder, so how will you see the focus through the viewfinder?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JesperMP
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
In reply to lolwut, Sep 21, 2010

Without actually knowing it, I guess it will be like any other digital camera with live view. When manually focusing, the EVF will magnify to display a small portion of the FOV. Since it the EVF has a very high resolution, I guess it will work quite OK.
--
Jesper M. Pedersen

oeoek
Regular MemberPosts: 443Gear list
Like?
In reply to rezaf_2000, Sep 21, 2010

We will have to wait untill people get their hands on this one, but from the folder I understand the sensor-image can be projected into the OVF, that is what the leaver on teh front is for... If there is a possibility to magnify the view, I would expect that possible with the OVF live view as well.

Greetings, Janneman

oeoek's gear list:oeoek's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Linzello
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
In reply to rezaf_2000, Apr 26, 2013

I couldn't figure out how to manual focus for ages, as noone seems to properly answer this question on any of the forums. The manual explains it pretty clearly though 

It might just be step 5 that you are missing (it was for me), but I've described every step below for completeness.

1. Make sure you're in Manual Focus mode (choose MF with switch on the side of the camera), with the EVF switched off (use the lever with red line on the front of the camera).

2. Look through the optical view finder and sight your target.  Change the diopter diial to the left of the viewfinder to adjust the focus to your eyesight (you should only need to do this once).

3. Hold the AF button and use the command dial (the wheel with Menu/OK in the centre) to select the area you with to focus on.

4. The press the AFL/AEL button to focus the camera.  You won't see anything happen here, but you should hear a small noise from you camera as it focuses.

5. Now this is the magic part! Press the 'command control' in.  This is NOT the same as the command dial.  The command control is the lever above the command dial that can go left or right. It can also be pressed straight in. Press it in and the EVF will be displayed, showing a magnified view of the area selected in step 4.

6.  You can now fine tune the focus by turning the focus ring around the lens. I use the middle finger of my right hand to do this.  When you are happy, press the shutter release and take a photo.

Rand 47
Regular MemberPosts: 371Gear list
Like?
In reply to rezaf_2000, Apr 27, 2013

"How does X100 manual focus work?"

In two words... "It doesn't."  Unless you think that 900 turns "lock to lock" can be called focusing.

I love my X-100 but would not even think of using the MF malfunction unless the camera was bolted to a tripod and I had lots of time.

Rand

Lakeview Man
Regular MemberPosts: 262Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rand 47, Apr 27, 2013

Rand 47 wrote:

In two words... "It doesn't."  Unless you think that 900 turns "lock to lock" can be called focusing.

I love my X-100 but would not even think of using the MF malfunction unless the camera was bolted to a tripod and I had lots of time.

Rand

Happy to report that this is much improved on the x100s.

-- hide signature --
 Lakeview Man's gear list:Lakeview Man's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +10 more
Muz4
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
In reply to Lakeview Man, Apr 27, 2013

The manual focus ring is speed sensitive. If u turn the ring with a quick jerk it focuses faster. It does work on x100.

knowmostofit
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?

Rand 47 wrote:

Rand

Manual focus: press AFL button on back to snap to focus, then trim with focus ring if necessary. Sharp turn to focus quickly, slow turn to fine tune. Always works a treat on X100.

Rand 47
Regular MemberPosts: 371Gear list
Like?
In reply to knowmostofit, Apr 27, 2013

knowmostofit wrote:

Rand 47 wrote:

Rand

Manual focus: press AFL button on back to snap to focus, then trim with focus ring if necessary. Sharp turn to focus quickly, slow turn to fine tune. Always works a treat on X100.

I generally use an opposite technique.  AF w/ half-press then lock w/ AF toggle.

The "speed sensitive" aspect of MF is a joke, IMO.  It flies in the face of precise MF.  Bottom line is that MF isn't the X series strong suit.

knowmostofit
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?

Rand 47 wrote:

knowmostofit wrote:

Rand 47 wrote:

Rand

I generally use an opposite technique.  AF w/ half-press then lock w/ AF toggle.

The "speed sensitive" aspect of MF is a joke, IMO.  It flies in the face of precise MF.  Bottom line is that MF isn't the X series strong suit.

I generally just use AF, but I was describing the "sort of" manual technique that works the best when I've occasionally used it.

gcheromi
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rand 47, 9 months ago

No!!! not 900 turns, may be 1 if so. Just try as per post 2 up.

PS

I have 2.01 software, and pres function lever 3 times. In every press you will se some info (pending how did you set focus peak (highlights, low lights) on the third push you will see magnified picture. then very little of turn of the focus ring bring focus. Works like charm.

But, really do you need manual focus, X100 has very, and I mean very accurate AF.

Regards Greg

gcheromi's gear list:gcheromi's gear list
Pentax K-5
MrChristopher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,028Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rand 47, 9 months ago

Rand 47 wrote:

In two words... "It doesn't." Unless you think that 900 turns "lock to lock" can be called focusing.

Rand

What firmware are you running?

MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,589
Like?
In reply to gcheromi, 9 months ago

gcheromi wrote:

PS

I have 2.01 software, and pres function lever 3 times. In every press you will se some info (pending how did you set focus peak (highlights, low lights) on the third push you will see magnified picture. then very little of turn of the focus ring bring focus. Works like charm.

But, really do you need manual focus, X100 has very, and I mean very accurate AF.

Regards Greg

Dude, you're replying to a thread from almost a year ago!

gcheromi
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
In reply to mr moonlight, 9 months ago

mr moonlight wrote:

gcheromi wrote:

PS

Regards Greg

Dude, you're replying to a thread from almost a year ago!

Why dude?

I bought secondhand this camera and spend all week learning how it's work. Reading forum helped a bit. And this is idea of ths forum, isn't it?

gcheromi's gear list:gcheromi's gear list
Pentax K-5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads