Thoughts on the D7000

Started Sep 19, 2010 | Discussions
Sean Drewek
Regular MemberPosts: 275
Like?
Thoughts on the D7000
Sep 19, 2010

Just and amature/enthusiest and I currently shoot with the D700 and 24-70mm. Fantastic combo with wonderful IQ and high ISO ability. But for me it is a boat anchor, big heavy and impractical for grab and go with the family. I have ordered the D7000 and will see for myself how close it can come to the D700 for my needs. If it can get close on ISO and usability it may allow me to sell the D700, if not I will keep both and use the D7000 for travel and general walk around. I am hoping that the D7000 + 17-55mm f/2.8 can get me where I need to be. I would love to switch back to DX, as there are a lot of benefits include price, weight (Bodies and lens) and DX advantage on longer glass. I know the D700 successor will be better, but the D700 capabilities are all I need. I really need smaller, lighter and less expensive with close to the same IQ. I realize that time and advances in technology will eventually get me there, but I am interested to see how close a camera like the D7000 is to this goal.

Anyone else thinking the same thing?

ActArtPhotog
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?
Re: Thoughts on the D7000
In reply to Sean Drewek, Sep 19, 2010

I am wondering the same thing, but for slightly different reason. I shoot with the D700 and 70-200mm VRI, mostly professional headshots for actors. Also use the 35-70mm as well. I am looking to adjust my gear due to financial reasons with recently getting married and the wife in school. I could sell the 70-200mm and go with an AF 180mm, or even a manual 180mm, or I could sell the D700 and go with the new D7000 and my 105mm AIS for headshots. I understand the weight thing as well, as I have left the D700 behind a number of times when the family goes to Disney or Busch Gardens and the HD video would be very nice for recording some performance clips at work. Really anxious to see the upcoming reviews for the D7K!
B
http://www.wcgreen.net

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
oldhouse
Contributing MemberPosts: 729
Like?
In reply to Sean Drewek, Sep 19, 2010

Love my D700. I also have a D80. Took both to the beach on vacation. Even though We had bright sunlight (not requiring the D700 low ISO), I didn't find the smaller body any 'easier' to manage. In fact, I only used it one day.

For me, its either bring a DSLR or bring a pocket camera. (which is why I'm looking at the new crop of P&S cams).

The subtle difference in size and weight between the D80/90 bodies and the D300/700 bodies isn't a big enough difference for me.
But, as with all things, you may be completely different than me!
Good luck with your decision.

-- hide signature --

Quinn

krikman
Regular MemberPosts: 292
Like?
In reply to oldhouse, Sep 19, 2010

Agree. I rarely use D40 or D90. If i want go light, I take battery grip off.

Nikonan
Regular MemberPosts: 220Gear list
Like?
In reply to krikman, Sep 19, 2010

Im wondering the same thing myself.. Currently my D700 is my work camera (weddings, events, and concerts.) I like using it, but its not my main walk about/throw around camera.. i use my old D300 for that, and have to agree that using the D7000 being slightly smaller would be nice, but w/ a 17-55 attached i dont think it would make it much lighter, however, if the performance is a lot better than my D300 i may get it to replace that. cant wait to see what the future brings for cameras.
--
D700 & D300, various lenses.

Nikonan's gear list:Nikonan's gear list
Nikon D700 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
ActArtPhotog
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?
In reply to krikman, Sep 19, 2010

krikman wrote:

Agree. I rarely use D40 or D90. If i want go light, I take battery grip off.

Somehow, I never even thought to do that! Seriously, I didn't. Guess I have another option after all.

Matstar
Regular MemberPosts: 144
Like?
In reply to ActArtPhotog, Sep 20, 2010

I full agree! Taking the grip off really helps for a long walkabout and fits nicely in a Lowpro Nova 170 shoulder bag. I just bought the 28-300mm VR, so I have the freedom of not changing lenses while outdoors nor the weight penalty of carrying around additional lenses.

When I'm doing indoor shoots, it's back to the grip + 24-70mm + sb-900 in a Lowepro Fastpack 250. I find the grip really helps steady the 24-70 in portrait orientation.

PerL
Forum ProPosts: 12,520
Like?
In reply to Sean Drewek, Sep 20, 2010

Sean Drewek wrote:

Just and amature/enthusiest and I currently shoot with the D700 and 24-70mm. Fantastic combo with wonderful IQ and high ISO ability. But for me it is a boat anchor, big heavy and impractical for grab and go with the family. I have ordered the D7000 and will see for myself how close it can come to the D700 for my needs. If it can get close on ISO and usability it may allow me to sell the D700, if not I will keep both and use the D7000 for travel and general walk around. I am hoping that the D7000 + 17-55mm f/2.8 can get me where I need to be. I would love to switch back to DX, as there are a lot of benefits include price, weight (Bodies and lens) and DX advantage on longer glass. I know the D700 successor will be better, but the D700 capabilities are all I need. I really need smaller, lighter and less expensive with close to the same IQ. I realize that time and advances in technology will eventually get me there, but I am interested to see how close a camera like the D7000 is to this goal.

Anyone else thinking the same thing?

The size, and yet high quality build is definitly the major advantage a D7000 to me. However, I would not pair it with the 17-55, since it is rather heavy and defeats the purpose of going compact.
--
http://dslr-video.com/blogmag/

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,291Gear list
Like?
Consider
In reply to PerL, Sep 20, 2010

Maybe consider the very light Nikon 18-105 with the D7000? This package would weigh a little more than half of the D700/24-70 combo . . . and be a LOT smaller.

If you want to shoot DSLR and retain all the benefits, this is about as light as you can go unless you are willing to go over to the 3:4 camp. I am not for many reasons.
--
Steve Bingham
http://www.dustylens.com
http://www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,630Gear list
Like?
In reply to PerL, Sep 20, 2010

I too just oerderd a D7000. I currently have a D3 and like you, have wanted something smaller/lighter at times. I've tried a few P&S (Canon G10, Sony H5X) and none compare to a DSLR.

So, for the price, I think the D7000 is worth a try. I might even like the video now that we have auto-focus. It's built like a pro cam and cheaper than many pro lenses.

If it works out well, I can forget about getting a D700 follow-up as my second body.
--
Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,904
Like?

Personally I'm looking at the D7000 more as an adjunct to my D700 and to replace my (now dead) D300 as a backup to my D700.

We really won't know how the D7000 performs until a bunch of folks have used them, but my best guess would be that while it will have improved high ISO compared to the DX cameras that came before it, that the D700 will still be in a different league. I read a lot on the forums about how it will match the D700 in noise or be close but the thing to remember is that the reason the D700 is so good is that it's low in noise - but more importantly, IMO, that at higher ISO it maintains detail and even more importantly, maintains tonality - it's those two latter characteristics that make is the superior high ISO camera that it is. It's the same reason a D300 file run through some noise reduction software, no matter how good it is, just doesn't match up to a D700 file in the tougher scenarios - you might be able to get the grain/grit/noise reduced to get close to where the D700 file lives, but the tonality and quality of that manipulated/noise-reduced file is, IMO, nowhere close to being of the same quality.

So I'm interested in the D7000 actually more for it's low ISO performance - I don't know if it will match the tonal qualities of the D700 even there, but if it's a closer match than the d300 was, I'll be happy. I'm just saying we have to get real about the D7000's higher ISO capabilities - I just seriously don't expect the D700 is going to be dethroned by a DX body just yet.

In your case - it all depends on how much you value the quality of the D700 files weighted against the heavier body. There are definitely times I'd like something lighter/smaller myself and that's another reason in the future I'll likely carry both of them along - best tool for the job and all of that. But until we've got a reasonable sample of skilled users who have shot with the D7000 and put it through it's paces, we won't really know what it's image quality will really be.

-m

brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,084Gear list
Like?

I have two D700 and one D3S, but will consider the D7000 to be used outdoor sports with my 200-400. I just have to wait until I see the reviews from actual users. The D7000 will not be replacing any of my cameras.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +11 more
eNo
eNo
Forum ProPosts: 11,732
Like?

My advice is that if you can have both, keep the D700. If the D7000 improves on high ISO performance over the D90/D300, it would be a nice companion to the D700. I know my D300 already is a good counterpart to the D700. I wouldn't want to give up the nice DR and high ISO performance of the D700, along with the other benefits a FX camera bring. But having a DX body for extra reach also comes in handy.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's easy to argue about equipment and technique, but hard to argue with a good photograph -- and more difficult to capture one .

Gallery and blog: http://esfotoclix.com
Special selections: http://esfotoclix.com/store
Wedding & Portrait: http://esfotoclix.com/wedevent
Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22061657@N03

Sean Drewek
Like?
Re: Consider
In reply to Steve Bingham, Sep 21, 2010

Steve Bingham wrote:

Maybe consider the very light Nikon 18-105 with the D7000? This package would weigh a little more than half of the D700/24-70 combo . . . and be a LOT smaller.

If you want to shoot DSLR and retain all the benefits, this is about as light as you can go unless you are willing to go over to the 3:4 camp. I am not for many reasons.
--
Steve Bingham
http://www.dustylens.com
http://www.ghost-town-photography.com

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I have 18-105 and a 35 1.8 left from before my switch to FX. I think the D7000 might be a great walk around camera with these lenses. Smaller and a lot lighter.

Sean Drewek
Like?
In reply to anotherMike, Sep 21, 2010

anotherMike wrote:

Personally I'm looking at the D7000 more as an adjunct to my D700 and to replace my (now dead) D300 as a backup to my D700.

We really won't know how the D7000 performs until a bunch of folks have used them, but my best guess would be that while it will have improved high ISO compared to the DX cameras that came before it, that the D700 will still be in a different league. I read a lot on the forums about how it will match the D700 in noise or be close but the thing to remember is that the reason the D700 is so good is that it's low in noise - but more importantly, IMO, that at higher ISO it maintains detail and even more importantly, maintains tonality - it's those two latter characteristics that make is the superior high ISO camera that it is. It's the same reason a D300 file run through some noise reduction software, no matter how good it is, just doesn't match up to a D700 file in the tougher scenarios - you might be able to get the grain/grit/noise reduced to get close to where the D700 file lives, but the tonality and quality of that manipulated/noise-reduced file is, IMO, nowhere close to being of the same quality.

So I'm interested in the D7000 actually more for it's low ISO performance - I don't know if it will match the tonal qualities of the D700 even there, but if it's a closer match than the d300 was, I'll be happy. I'm just saying we have to get real about the D7000's higher ISO capabilities - I just seriously don't expect the D700 is going to be dethroned by a DX body just yet.

In your case - it all depends on how much you value the quality of the D700 files weighted against the heavier body. There are definitely times I'd like something lighter/smaller myself and that's another reason in the future I'll likely carry both of them along - best tool for the job and all of that. But until we've got a reasonable sample of skilled users who have shot with the D7000 and put it through it's paces, we won't really know what it's image quality will really be.

-m

This is my biggest fear. The files from the D700 are like no other I have worked with (D50, D60, D200, D300). They are so nice to work wtih in post and have so much latitude that I would miss that. You are right, there is something to them that goes beyond just low noise. This is exactly why I have no intention of selling my D700 anytime soon. If there is some magic in this new D7000 I would be happy to move back to DX, but deep inside I am really not expecting that to happen. The D700 quality is all I need. I don't really want more MPX and I don't need better hign ISO, but I want smaller, lighter and the DX reach with D700 like files.

Sean Drewek
Like?
In reply to PerL, Sep 21, 2010

The size, and yet high quality build is definitly the major advantage a D7000 to me. However, I would not pair it with the 17-55, since it is rather heavy and defeats the purpose of going compact.
--
http://dslr-video.com/blogmag/

I totally agree. All I am saying is that if somehow I could get small, light, DX camera that would make me happy enough to move away from FX I would also have to have the 17-55 in addition to a walkaround lens like the 16-85 0r 18-105.

Jeff Morris
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,285Gear list
Like?
Spectacular!
In reply to eNo, Sep 21, 2010

To be frank, if the image quality is very good Nikon will not be able to keep them on the shelf. It's like having a baby D300 with a slew of new features in a compact body. I would love one but I can not justify it at this time.

If I want to go lite, I pop off the grip and pop on my 24-85G and I am out the door. I do wish Nikon made a spectacular FX lens like the 24-70 in a smaller F4 DX version. Because I know if I got a D7000, I would re-purchase a 17-55 to go with it. And as stated above, a D7000 with a 17-55 is not that far off from a D700 and 24-70 weight wise. Any by the way, I did love my 17-55!
--
Regards,

Jeff Morris / Homecinemaman

Adams, Gutmann, Steichen, Snoopy, Stigletz, Weston. they lead by example.

I hunt, I peck, I squint, all on a Dell M1330 13' laptop. So don't laugh, I'm happy there aren't more typo's!

Jeff Morris's gear list:Jeff Morris's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +14 more
owenleve
Senior MemberPosts: 2,579
Like?
Re: Spectacular!
In reply to Jeff Morris, Sep 21, 2010

If that camera was full frame and shot as clean as my d3 I'd order one tomorrow. If it's as clean as a d3 and cropped I still might buy one. My d300s is great compared to a d3, provided you stay below 640 iso.

Rudy580
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to Sean Drewek, Sep 22, 2010

I'm currently shooting with the D90 and have been building my FX glasses for some times.

I've been wanting to get a D700 for sometimes now. When the D7000 was announced, I decided to sell my D90 and put the funds toward a D700. Well, I have a buyer waiting for my D90!!

I'll get my D700 now ...or soon.... and will wait to see what the D7000 will do. My thinking is that the D7000 will be my walkabout/backup/outdoor sports body. The high ISO performance on the D7000 intrigues me as the 2 card slots....and yes the HD video as well...for a much less price.

By the time when I'm ready to buy, the D7000 should be around $1000.

Any thoughts?

Jody Leonard
Regular MemberPosts: 460Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rudy580, Sep 22, 2010

Well, I don't get it. Don't you guys want ALL your photos to be of the highest quality?
I have also been pining for a D700, getting my FX lenses first.

I will always prefer small and light but I think if I had both a D7000 and D700 sitting on my table, no matter what I was planning to shoot, I would invariably grab the best. D700.

If only money was not an issue for me. I prey for great tonality and DR in the D7000 reveiws!

Jody Leonard's gear list:Jody Leonard's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads