Photos and purple?

Started Sep 18, 2010 | Discussions
sbninja
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Photos and purple?
Sep 18, 2010

Hi all, I shot some photographs today, at my daughters soccer game. Here team shirts are purple. My white balance was set to auto on my Nikon D5000, and the shirts came out blue. I went home and took some photos of the purple shirt outdoors, sun setting. I tried different white balance settings, like "cloudy", "direct sun", and "shade" I just can't seem to get the shirt to look purple. I even tried pre-set white balance using the preloaded "white" image in the camera........no luck. Also, I just checked her last year's soccer photo - taken by pro's, outdoors. She had the same color shirt(purple) and in the photo, its blue too.

Any Help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
--
-Sunil Badal
D5000
SB-600
Long Island, NY

winparkman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,618
Like?
Re: Photos and purple?
In reply to sbninja, Sep 18, 2010

Do you shoot RAW?

sbninja wrote:

Hi all, I shot some photographs today, at my daughters soccer game. Here team shirts are purple. My white balance was set to auto on my Nikon D5000, and the shirts came out blue. I went home and took some photos of the purple shirt outdoors, sun setting. I tried different white balance settings, like "cloudy", "direct sun", and "shade" I just can't seem to get the shirt to look purple. I even tried pre-set white balance using the preloaded "white" image in the camera........no luck. Also, I just checked her last year's soccer photo - taken by pro's, outdoors. She had the same color shirt(purple) and in the photo, its blue too.

Any Help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
--
-Sunil Badal
D5000
SB-600
Long Island, NY

-- hide signature --

OK, not so purely a hobby.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Millyons
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
In reply to sbninja, Sep 18, 2010

try playing with picture controls, if you cant get needed result with default ones. try with D2XModes

(just a tip, if you installed ViewNX2 and cant see the D2X modes by any chance, in Picture control tool Preferences switch between the 2 settings)

Fragrant Fire
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?
In reply to sbninja, Sep 19, 2010

Digital camera sensors have a hard time capturing purple....especially since the sensors are made to capture the RGB colors. Add in the IR and UV filters that many of the cameras have built-in and that further aggravates the problem (or course those filters also help solve many other issues). You can play with white-balance and the various camera color spaces, but purples have been a problem color for digital cameras from day one. Some cameras/sensors seem to do better than others at capturing purple, but usually at the cost of inaccurately capturing some other color such as red or yellow.

jpdenk
Contributing MemberPosts: 819
Like?

I've been shooting digital for 11 years and I've found that some purple subjects can be captured pretty well but others are nowhere near correctly. I shoot nature stuff, and a lot of natural objects that are purple can be photographed very accurately. It seems like purple clothes are hard to get right. Maybe it's got something to do with man-made dyes and pigments that are hard to get right, not sure why that would be though.

Back in my film days, I noticed that when I shot purple or blue wildflowers, Kodachrome would shift the colors toward red, and was great for the warmer colors, so I shot Ektachrome for better blues and purples.

This is not a new problem, nor is it unique to digital.

Currently, when I run into the purple problem, I usually can fix it with the "Replace color" adjustment in Photoshop. There is at least one plug-in made to deal with this, check out the DCF Full-Spectrum plug-in at http://www.plugsandpixels.com/dcffullspectrum.html .

John
--

http://picasaweb.google.com/jpdenk60477/SomeOfMyFavoriteNatureShots?authkey=aXn0zLtxA1g#

Anthony
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,104Gear list
Like?
Are you sure it's not your PC?

Since last year's pro shots were also purple / blue, are you sure you're just seeing it wrong on your PC?

Try viewing on a different computer.

Can you email me a jpg?

I'm always on target with images on my PC, and I'd like to see if I see the same as you do.

Send image to:

Anthony8858@msn.com

Anthony's gear list:Anthony's gear list
HTC One M8
sbninja
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Re: Are you sure it's not your PC?
In reply to Anthony, Sep 21, 2010

Thanks all!

The purple shirts are a Dark/deep Purple. I spoke to my friend, who is an experienced photography, he also said that dark purple can be an issue.

I realize, that it could just be my monitor. As a side note, the shirts also show up blue, on my camera lcd screen.
--
-Sunil Badal
D5000
SB-600
Long Island, NY

Anthony
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,104Gear list
Like?
In reply to sbninja, Sep 22, 2010

Here are two images taken pretty much the same time.
One with the Nikon D40, the other with the Nikon D3100.

As you can see, each camera translated purple slightly different.
The D40 image is actually closer to the actual color.

sbninja wrote:

Thanks all!

The purple shirts are a Dark/deep Purple. I spoke to my friend, who is an experienced photography, he also said that dark purple can be an issue.

I realize, that it could just be my monitor. As a side note, the shirts also show up blue, on my camera lcd screen.
--
-Sunil Badal
D5000
SB-600
Long Island, NY

Anthony's gear list:Anthony's gear list
HTC One M8
pocketfulladoubles
Senior MemberPosts: 1,986
Like?
In reply to Anthony, Sep 22, 2010

Are these in RAW? I guess my first guess would be if it's a gamut issue. Dark purple is tough for both sRGB and Adobe RGB, so really the out of gamut compensation to look for would in be the Rendering Intent of the print process. You really only have four to choose from so why not give them a shot?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads