D7000 review and High ISO images from Chase Jarvis blog

Started Sep 15, 2010 | Discussions
Krishnan Seshasayee
Forum MemberPosts: 90
Like?
D7000 review and High ISO images from Chase Jarvis blog
Sep 15, 2010

Review: http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2010/09/nikon-d7000/

Images: http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/nikon-d7000-preview-images/

Looks excellent at ISO 3200

This is what he has to say on his blog

@1600 ISO it's great
@3200 ISO it's solid
@6400 ISO it's passable in certain circumstances

-- hide signature --

Nikon D-90, Sigma 17-70 DC Macro, 55-200mm VR, 35mm f/1.8, SB-400, Tristar UV / CPL filter, Dynex 60' Universal Tripod

digitography
Contributing MemberPosts: 616
Like?
Re: D7000 review and High ISO images from Chase Jarvis blog
In reply to Krishnan Seshasayee, Sep 15, 2010

How much ISO did we really gain over a D90?

Also, is the D7000 made in Japan?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
digitography
Contributing MemberPosts: 616
Like?
Re: D7000 review and High ISO images from Chase Jarvis blog
In reply to Krishnan Seshasayee, Sep 15, 2010

The "kit lens" and the D7000 and native jpeg....look like my D90's RAW files through NX2.

Nikon I think is compressing a lot less in jpegs on this camera and to me it's apparent.

can't wait for the test results. This camera has legs.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
teodorian2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,860
Like?
Re: D7000 review and High ISO images from Chase Jarvis blog
In reply to digitography, Sep 15, 2010

digitography wrote:

How much ISO did we really gain over a D90?

Also, is the D7000 made in Japan?

On screen: 1/3 EV.

In print: 1 EV.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Krishnan Seshasayee
Forum MemberPosts: 90
Like?
Re: D7000 review and High ISO images from Chase Jarvis blog
In reply to teodorian2, Sep 15, 2010

On screen numbers that you quoted appears less to me.

teodorian2 wrote:

digitography wrote:

How much ISO did we really gain over a D90?

Also, is the D7000 made in Japan?

On screen: 1/3 EV.

In print: 1 EV.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D-90, Sigma 17-70 DC Macro, 55-200mm VR, 35mm f/1.8, SB-400, Tristar UV / CPL filter, Dynex 60' Universal Tripod

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nikons52
Senior MemberPosts: 1,077
Like?
Re: D7000 review and High ISO images from Chase Jarvis blog
In reply to Krishnan Seshasayee, Sep 15, 2010

If ISO 3200 is solid, I'm sold. Which it should be. Combine that with the extra pixils and I'm done.... well until the D300S replacement comes out

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
digitography
Contributing MemberPosts: 616
Like?
Re: D7000 review and High ISO images from Chase Jarvis blog
In reply to nikons52, Sep 15, 2010

nikons52 wrote:

If ISO 3200 is solid, I'm sold. Which it should be. Combine that with the extra pixils and I'm done.... well until the D300S replacement comes out

I have heard and experienced that ISO 1600 is usable on my D90...and it is usable...now sold in my definition of solid...it would mean that the D7000's ability to handle ISO 3200 is equal to the D90's ability to shoot at ISO 640 in good light.

It's subjective until we see detailed teats.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
FoolyCooly
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,458Gear list
Like?
Re: D7000 review and High ISO images from Chase Jarvis blog
In reply to Krishnan Seshasayee, Sep 16, 2010
 FoolyCooly's gear list:FoolyCooly's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EOS 6D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nikons52
Senior MemberPosts: 1,077
Like?
Re: D7000 review and High ISO images from Chase Jarvis blog
In reply to digitography, Sep 16, 2010

Let me put it this way to ya, if you can clean this up at 3200 then I'll take two, and this ain't bad. 40% crop.

Best,

D

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
copejorg1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,625
Like?
Re: D7000 review and High ISO images from Chase Jarvis blog
In reply to digitography, Sep 16, 2010

digitography wrote:

nikons52 wrote:

If ISO 3200 is solid, I'm sold. Which it should be. Combine that with the extra pixils and I'm done.... well until the D300S replacement comes out

I have heard and experienced that ISO 1600 is usable on my D90...and it is usable...now sold in my definition of solid...it would mean that the D7000's ability to handle ISO 3200 is equal to the D90's ability to shoot at ISO 640 in good light.

It's subjective until we see detailed teats.

Sorry, but nobody's going to risk a DPR ban, just to show you some detailed teats. There's plenty of other places on the internet that you can go to for that kind of stuff.


--
Greg

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
teodorian2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,860
Like?
Re: D7000 review and High ISO images from Chase Jarvis blog
In reply to Krishnan Seshasayee, Sep 16, 2010

Krishnan Seshasayee wrote:
On screen numbers that you quoted appears less to me.

teodorian2 wrote:

digitography wrote:

How much ISO did we really gain over a D90?

Also, is the D7000 made in Japan?

On screen: 1/3 EV.

In print: 1 EV.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D-90, Sigma 17-70 DC Macro, 55-200mm VR, 35mm f/1.8, SB-400, Tristar UV / CPL filter, Dynex 60' Universal Tripod

On screen means per pixel.

In print means at the same printing size (where the 16,2 MP vs the 12,3 MP give the D7000 an advantage).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rvalle
Regular MemberPosts: 189
Like?
Re: D7000 review and High ISO images from Chase Jarvis blog
In reply to Krishnan Seshasayee, Sep 16, 2010

Although the Chase Jarvis pic looks good, I don't think it is representative of the real quality of ISO3200 for the D7000.

The image was captured in a crappy streetlight, probably mercury vapor. The color spectrum of such lights is very limited, with almost no blues.

That would explain the bluish blotches in the photo, when the WB tries to compensate for the horrible light.

I am sure that ISO3200 will look much better in dim sunlight, or deep shade in daylight.

rvalle

Krishnan Seshasayee wrote:

Review: http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2010/09/nikon-d7000/

Images: http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/nikon-d7000-preview-images/

Looks excellent at ISO 3200

This is what he has to say on his blog

@1600 ISO it's great
@3200 ISO it's solid
@6400 ISO it's passable in certain circumstances

-- hide signature --

Nikon D-90, Sigma 17-70 DC Macro, 55-200mm VR, 35mm f/1.8, SB-400, Tristar UV / CPL filter, Dynex 60' Universal Tripod

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
emax
Senior MemberPosts: 1,896
Like?
Re: Show Us Your Teats
In reply to copejorg1, Sep 16, 2010

copejorg1 wrote:

digitography wrote:

nikons52 wrote:
It's subjective until we see detailed teats.

Greg

That was udderly amusing. Brought back fond mammaries.

Sorry if I milked it too much.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads