Vivitar 28mm F2.8 Questions

Started Sep 14, 2010 | Discussions
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,306
Like?
Vivitar 28mm F2.8 Questions
Sep 14, 2010

While on vacation i picked this lens up, MF with the "A" contacts and Ricoh pin, the manual in the box says 1990. The box had wrinkled plastic over the otherwise fine cardboard, the warranty and manual were glued shut, obvious water damage, the styrofoam encasing for the lens seemed fine and the lens looked as though it had never been touched by water or used much, i took the caps off and found a finger print on both front and rear elements, easily cleaned off, there was no dust, fungus, haze or any other problems with the lens and the aperture was like new.

I used it on my camera by putting a paper between the Ricoh pin and the mount for safety, to my surprise the lens was actually quite sharp at F2.8 at least as seen on the camera screen.

Does anybody have this lens or have used this lens and can you tell me you're experiences? i bought mine for $25+tax ($26.25) to me i think i got a good deal but i'd like to hear what others have experienced about this lens
--
Mike from Canada

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,935
Like?
Re: Vivitar 28mm F2.8 Questions
In reply to MightyMike, Sep 14, 2010

Is it the CF version?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MightyMike
Like?
In reply to JohnBee, Sep 14, 2010

What is the "CF" version, this one is the Vivitar 28mm F2.8 MC for PK-A/R, made in Japan, the lens boasts 1:5x macro (not too spectacular) 5 Elements, 5 Groups, 49mm thread. min focusing distance is 23cm
--
Mike from Canada

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,051Gear list
Like?

Vivitar didn't manufacture, I believe they rebadged Cosina and Komine 28mm lenses. I have a couple of A 28mm 2.8's made by Cosina. One is branded Image, the other Kalimar. One is labelled a Macro, but they're identical in every detail. Both had the Ricoh pin, one that I had to remove, the other was already modified. I paid $25 and $35 for them. I am very impressed with the bokeh for a short lens. Colour and contrast are good, resolution is soft but useable at 2.8, improves nicely and is very sharp at F8. Exposure is dead on at 2.8 but overexposes as you close down (app .3Ev/stop) . Photos of the lenses and samples here. Does your lens look like these?

http://picasaweb.google.ca/bonhommed/28mmLenses?authkey=Gv1sRgCM_TnvfApv3AFw#

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
Stephen Merola
Contributing MemberPosts: 546Gear list
Like?

CF refers to Close Focus. They are very sought after lenses and very nice. I am currently trying to find someone to convert my MD mount version to K mount.

by the way, nice pickup Mike.

Stephen Merola's gear list:Stephen Merola's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro
audiobomber
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, Sep 14, 2010

My Image 28mm lens is labelled number A23 in the 28mm Bestiary.
http://photografica.robinparmar.com/vivitar.html
I believe A21 and A23 are actually the same lens. The "IMAGE by [make?]"
part should read "IMAGE by Cosina", and my Kalimar is the same lens.

Love the 28mm focal length. It's as wide as you can go and still have a normal perspective.
--
Dan

Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
MightyMike
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, Sep 14, 2010

Well mine has different markings and a different shaped focus ring (rubber part), the serial number isn't printed on the front of the lens but its on the side, the serial number more closely resembles the Kalimar number, mine doesn't have a shiny green button to move the Aperture ring but a black plastic one and its located beside the "A", the text on it is in a different font and it doesn't show the 1:5* marking. On the mount mine doesn't have the red lettering nor does it have a groove opposite to the pin lock position that yours seem to have, it also has larger screws. Its also missing the 2 holes on the rear piece holding the element, however it has 2 notches at the side. My distance scale also shows F4, F11 and F22, not F5.6.

I guess this means that this was made in a different production year or when Vivitar made it they made a lot of cosmetic differences.

You also reported it was that sharp at F2.8, well i have to look closer but i was rather impressed with what i saw at F2.8 on the camera screen (zoomed in), maybe a lucky shot or wishful seeing.
--
Mike from Canada

audiobomber
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, Sep 15, 2010

MightyMike wrote:

I guess this means that this was made in a different production year or when Vivitar made it they made a lot of cosmetic differences.

Vivitar never actually manufactured lenses, they only rebadged. I suspect with all the differences you related, you don't have a Cosina. The Komines seem to be a little stronger optically, maybe that's what you have. There are a couple of long threads at Pentax Forums with photos that could help you identify the maker. I won't try and link them because the links are prohibited, but the threads are called Vivitar 28mm As FA31mm Replacement? and The Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary , both posted by rparmar.
--
Dan

parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,659
Like?

If it's the Komine version then it's excellent: very sharp with nice colours (though slightly harsh bokeh), smooth focus movement and a really nice weight balance on my *ist DS (looks, works and feels just like a 'standard' 50mm prime on a 35mm manual SLR). I put it on my Katz-eye-equipped DS2 and have happy memories of 'better days' with my Minolta X700 and 50/1.7

If it's the Cosina version then stay clear

The Komine-manufactured versions have serial numbers starting 28....

If memory serves Kiron-manufactured versions have serial numbers starting 22... These have a good reputation but I don't think these came with a KA mount

Anything else in this lens means Cosina (yuk!)

$25 doesn't sound particularly cheap for this lens as they are normally 'bargain bucket' but it certainly is a nice lens to have

MightyMike
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, Sep 15, 2010

A21 "Vivitar / 28MM 1:2.8 / MC / WIDE ANGLE / Ø49MM" [Cosina]

From the "The Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary" website, thats the one i have

--
Mike from Canada

MightyMike
Like?
In reply to parallaxproblem, Sep 15, 2010

I'm willing to bet that Cosina had good and bad copies, i think i got a very good copy

From this site its says its a Cosina

A21 "Vivitar / 28MM 1:2.8 / MC / WIDE ANGLE / Ø49MM" [Cosina]

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

Anastigmat
Forum ProPosts: 12,579
Like?

Over at the Pentax forum they had a discussion and a picture. If the lens is as pictured below, then it was made by Cosina, known for good value for the money. Their design philosophy is to find the best lens design possible regardless of cost, then substitue cheaper glass for more expensive glass and see how far performance drops. They keep doing that until they come up with a fine balance between cost and performance. Then they finalize the design.

MightyMike wrote:

While on vacation i picked this lens up, MF with the "A" contacts and Ricoh pin, the manual in the box says 1990. The box had wrinkled plastic over the otherwise fine cardboard, the warranty and manual were glued shut, obvious water damage, the styrofoam encasing for the lens seemed fine and the lens looked as though it had never been touched by water or used much, i took the caps off and found a finger print on both front and rear elements, easily cleaned off, there was no dust, fungus, haze or any other problems with the lens and the aperture was like new.

I used it on my camera by putting a paper between the Ricoh pin and the mount for safety, to my surprise the lens was actually quite sharp at F2.8 at least as seen on the camera screen.

Does anybody have this lens or have used this lens and can you tell me you're experiences? i bought mine for $25+tax ($26.25) to me i think i got a good deal but i'd like to hear what others have experienced about this lens
--
Mike from Canada

LKeithR
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,090
Like?

Up till a few years ago--when I dropped and broke it--I had a 28mm Vivitar lens. It wasn't a bad lens and when the Internet became useful I decided to try and trace it's lineage. What I found was quite surprising and often confusing. From the very late 60s till the mid 90s Vivitar sold a large number of lenses made by a bewildering array of manufacturers. The makers I found included: Asanuma, Bauer, Chinon, Cosina, Hoya, Kiron, Komine, Kyoe Schoji, Makinon, Olympus, Ozone Optical, Perkin Elmer, Polar, Schneider and Tokina. The list may be missing some names but you get the idea. Not all lenses were made by all manufacturers. An additional confusing aspect was the fact that many of these makers sold lenses in their own names and to other re-branders...

-- hide signature --

Keith...

Look at the picture, not the pixels...
http://www.lkeithr.zenfolio.com

Stuart Dean
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
In reply to LKeithR, Sep 15, 2010

If I remember correctly the Cameraquest web page has a section on identifing Vivitar lens makers by serial number.
Hope this helps.
S.D

audiobomber
Like?
In reply to Stuart Dean, Sep 16, 2010

I couldn't find it.
--
Dan

Stuart Dean
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, Sep 16, 2010

Do a search for Vivitar Lens Manufacturers
Should be top of the list.

Stuart Dean
Like?
In reply to Stuart Dean, Sep 16, 2010

Just checked.

It's on the Cameraquest site under Classic Camera Profiles/Classic and unusual 35mm Lenses.

MusicDoctorDJ
Forum ProPosts: 12,400
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, Sep 16, 2010

I have a Canon FD-mount Vivitar 28mm lens I bought back in the 80's . . .

It served me well for many years (along with a Canon FD 28mm) . . .

In many ways I thought it was better than the Canon lens.

But it died on me one day back in the 90's and I never did get it fixed.

-- hide signature --

J. D.
Colorado

• Who says you need a DSLR to get the shot? (from Olympus Tough 8000)

moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,765Gear list
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, Sep 16, 2010

audiobomber wrote:

I couldn't find it.

Dan:

-- hide signature --

> http://www.cameraquest.com/VivLensManuf.htm

Some info pasted below also. FWIW, the Vivitar/Komine 28mm f/2.8 Close Focus (K02 and A02?) is the sharpest 28mm I've ever shot.

Vivitar Subcontracted Lens Makers

(1st two digits of serial number)

6 Olympus

9 Cosina

13 Schneider Optik

22 Kino (aka Kiron)

25 Ozone Optical

28 Komine

32 Makinon

33 Asanuma

37 Tokina

42 Bauer

44 Perkin Elmer (US)

47 Chinon

51 Tokyo Trading

56 Kyoe Schoji

75 Hoya Optical

81 Polar

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
audiobomber
Like?
In reply to moving_comfort, Sep 16, 2010

moving_comfort wrote:

Some info pasted below also. FWIW, the Vivitar/Komine 28mm f/2.8 Close Focus (K02 and A02?) is the sharpest 28mm I've ever shot.

Thanks Jay. Impressive photos. How's the metering? Have you tried any of the 2.0 versions?
--
Dan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads