SIGMA lenses have major issue with a33 and a55.

Started Sep 10, 2010 | Discussions
iliasb
Forum MemberPosts: 87
Like?
SIGMA lenses have major issue with a33 and a55.
Sep 10, 2010

Notice to Sony α33 and α55 owners using Sigma's Sony fit lenses

Sigma's lenses for Sony mount may have a potential aperture operation problem when used with the Sony α33 and α55 Interchangeable Lens digital cameras.

To overcome this issue, we will be offering, free of charge, a modification service to our customers who have purchased a Sony α33 and α55 and own Sigma lenses for Sony mount.

This phenomenon will only occur with Sony α33 and α55 cameras. Future production of Sigma lenses will be fully compatible with these cameras.

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience caused to our customers.

[Phenomenon]

When shooting with a Sony α33 and α55 cameras, the aperture may not work properly and a “camera error” message will be displayed on the camera.

[Lenses requiring the modification]

All current Sigma's lenses for Sony mount.

For lenses discontinued several years ago, a modification may not be available. For further details, please contact your nearest authorized Sigma Service Station.

[Support for this issue]

We will be offering a modification service for our current range of lenses free of charge. Please contact your nearest authorized Sigma Service Station.

World Network

[Mark for compatible lenses]

Future production of Sigma lenses will be compatible with these cameras. The following sticker is put on the gift box of compatible lenses.

For further information, please contact your nearest authorized Sigma Service Station.

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/news/info_100910.htm

zepzr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,012
Like?
Re: SIGMA lenses have major issue with a33 and a55.
In reply to iliasb, Sep 10, 2010

ouch! At least they will fix the problem.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,379Gear list
Like?
In reply to zepzr, Sep 10, 2010

Hmm, wonder why this would affect only Sigma - why not Tamron or Tokina lenses too?

zepzr wrote:

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Stephen Carpenter
Contributing MemberPosts: 604Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, Sep 10, 2010

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

Hmm, wonder why this would affect only Sigma - why not Tamron or Tokina lenses too?

It's a common problem with Sigma. They refuse to buy the mount license fee and reverse engineer the protocols. Their film era lenses also needed to be rechipped when the KM DSLRs were introduced.

Stephen Carpenter's gear list:Stephen Carpenter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +5 more
Plastek
Contributing MemberPosts: 558Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, Sep 10, 2010

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

zepzr wrote:

Maybe it's something with the electronics? If it's a fix they can easily make in the local service.

BTW: Good that they offer it for free.

Franka T.L.
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,457Gear list
Like?
Well that mean Sony mod the Alpha mount signalling , is it so ??

Cause mechanical wise, that does not seem any difference or might be something else ??

-- hide signature --

• Franka -

Molan
Contributing MemberPosts: 502Gear list
Like?

So, basically my old Sigma's won't work with the new A55?

Well, that make a potential shift of brand more likely, since it would reduce the cost difference. Upgrading to A55 would be to costly for me, damm you Sigma...

Molan's gear list:Molan's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 +8 more
Stephen Carpenter
Contributing MemberPosts: 604Gear list
Like?
Re: Well that mean Sony mod the Alpha mount signalling , is it so ??
In reply to Franka T.L., Sep 10, 2010

Franka T.L. wrote:

Cause mechanical wise, that does not seem any difference or might be something else ??

The mount spec would list aspects of the signalling as "for future use" and then Sony would update the spec when those features were used. By not buying the license Sigma leave themselves vulnerable to any enhancements to the spec. It's not the first time they've been caught out and we had hoped they had learnt their lesson but it seems not.

Stephen Carpenter's gear list:Stephen Carpenter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +5 more
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,379Gear list
Like?
What about legacy Minolta glass then??
In reply to Stephen Carpenter, Sep 10, 2010

any a33 owners tried it yet?

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Plastek
Contributing MemberPosts: 558Gear list
Like?
In reply to Molan, Sep 10, 2010

Molan wrote:

Well, that make a potential shift of brand more likely, since it would reduce the cost difference. Upgrading to A55 would be to costly for me, damm you Sigma...

Well, you can just go to Sigma service and they'll fix the lens for free Not really an issue unless you use the Sigma lens each day.

cyainparadise
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,577
Like?
But what's the harm?

Stephen Carpenter wrote:

Franka T.L. wrote:

The mount spec would list aspects of the signalling as "for future use" and then Sony would update the spec when those features were used. By not buying the license Sigma leave themselves vulnerable to any enhancements to the spec. It's not the first time they've been caught out and we had hoped they had learnt their lesson but it seems not.

Since Sigma caught and solved the before too many A33/A55 cameras were sold, and is willing to fix the lenses for free, they're not hurt that much by not buying the license.

The ones who are hurt is the customers who have discontinued lenses that won;t be fixed. I have a Sigma 14mm rectilinear lens, which I love, and I'll be hurt because if I buy an A33/A55, I'll have problems.

The question you should be asking is, "when will buyers who are looking to buy Sigma lenses learn their lesson?"

cyainparadise
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,577
Like?
In reply to Plastek, Sep 10, 2010

Plastek wrote:

Molan wrote:

Well, you can just go to Sigma service and they'll fix the lens for free Not really an issue unless you use the Sigma lens each day.

Apparently you didn't read this part of the release- "For lenses discontinued several years ago, a modification may not be available. For further details, please contact your nearest authorized Sigma Service Station."

So, not all older Sigma lenses will be fixed by Sigma.

Glenn
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,849
Like?
Re: But what's the harm?
In reply to cyainparadise, Sep 10, 2010

you'll have to try it and see if it works or not. Doesn't look like Sigma is will to tell us what the problem is
--
http://www.fotosource.com/downloads/flyer/eye_cancer_en_CA.pdf

travelshots_dpr
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
In reply to cyainparadise, Sep 10, 2010

cyainparadise wrote:

Apparently you didn't read this part of the release- "For lenses discontinued several years ago, a modification may not be available. For further details, please contact your nearest authorized Sigma Service Station."

So, not all older Sigma lenses will be fixed by Sigma.

Exactly, and this is not the first time that it happens with Sigma lenses. In combination with the frequent problem of broken AF gears, this is why I do not buy Sigma lenses anymore.

travelshots_dpr's gear list:travelshots_dpr's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +15 more
RJD79
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?
In reply to travelshots_dpr, Sep 10, 2010

someone in an other thread sais he is using a Sigma 30/1.4 and reported no problems. i have this same lens, hopefully there wont be any problems.

any information on which lenses are affected? all of them? or only older ones?

angeles
Regular MemberPosts: 415
Like?
In reply to RJD79, Sep 10, 2010

I was planning to buy A55+ 2 Sigma Lenses (500$+700$)
Plan canceled
Will wait for photokina and see if Sony would reveal NEX 7 with CZ lenses or so.

I need lenses that is optimized for video and was hoping Sigma HSM would work great with A55

CZ16-80 was interesting lens but it lack SSM so it's not great for video
And all Sony/CZ SSM lenses are huge meh

ianimal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,050
Like?

Also for some people the nearest Sigma service center is not
so near. Hear in Norway it is for me around 500 km away. And
for people more north in the country maybe 1000 km or more.
So we have to send it in of course.

I only got a Sigma 30mm F1.4 lens, and I read a user here said it worked
ok so I just wait. And I don't have a A33 or A55, and will wait to
see what else Sony comes with this autumn.

mzd
mzd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,823Gear list
Like?
In reply to RJD79, Sep 10, 2010

I tried my Sigma 10-20 on my a33 and so far no issues.

tom
tom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,714
Like?

The first time this happened to me was just after I had bought a used Quantaray (Ritz camera name for Sigma) 135-400mm lens. A month later the maxxum 7 was released and I bought one. Couple of days later the 135-400 was included in a list of incompatible lenses on the Sigma USA website.

The symptom on my camera was that if the camera was metering (scale lit) and I zoomed the lens through 150, 200 or 300 mm the camera would lock up. The only way to unlock it was to turn it off, reset the lens to a safe FL and turn it back on. So as long as I was not trying to follow a subject and adjust zoom at the same time I was usually able to use the lens.

Because my lens was a Quantaray brand name, Sigma USA would not rechip it for free, (Q lenses are not imported by Sigma USA but directly by Ritz.) I got in touch with the Ritz Camera Service Manager (not at a store) and she confirmed that Ritz would do the rechipping for free (and if I dropped it off at a local store, there was no shipping charge), but that Sigma had indicated that the chip for that lens (among others) would not be ready for a few months. She also gave me all the info to give to a store clerk, because she did not expect they would know anything about the issue (and she was right). After a few months the lens was rechipped and worked fine. However, since it is a long discontinued lens, it can't be rechipped again. (Something to consider if you buy a used lens that may be out of production.)

Editorial: I really wish that Sigma would agree to get licensed chips from Sony (I know nothing about the business aspects and it may be impossible due to other Sony relationships). They have some very unique lenses and I have always found their lenses innovative. One reason why I got the 135-400 was because the Minolta equivalent (100-400) does not have a tripod mount, which is pretty necessary for a lens of this size and weight.

However, I have also stopped buying non-licensed chip lenses because I found with my film cameras that certain camera features did not work as designed when using non-licensed chip lenses. A couple of examples --

1 - My flash would not automatically switch to HSS mode, so when using fill flash on bright days, the camera would always set maximum normal sync which required very small apertures and deep DOF which I did not want. That required switching to either S-priority or M-mode and manually setting a high shutter speed.

With OEM or licensed chip lenses the camera will allow you to set a wide aperture in A-mode or do it automatically in P-mode and switch to HSS. (You could set a wide aperture on the non-licensed chip lenses, but the max shutter speed that the camera would set was the max normal sync speed such as 1/200 when at the aperture set 1/1000 was needed.)

2. P-mode would not do the automatic scene mode recognition and DOF adjustment that it does with OEM and licensed chip lenses. With unlicensed lenses the camera reverts to a p-mode based strictly on FL.

3. Scene modes (on cameras that have them) did not work as designed (for example portrait did not try for shallow DOF).

With my film cameras, I used P-mode a lot because it was a good way to get the right DOF without guessing (and I had tested and used it enough to know when it would do what I wanted). I didn't set scene modes (Maxxum 7 didn't have them), but my earlier camera did, and my kids used it some times. And I wanted the camera to be smart enough to automatically set HSS. So now I only have OEM lenses (I believe Tamron lenses and some Tokina are/were licensed, but I don't know which so I limit myself to OEM).

Unfortunately, that does limit me from some nice FL range lenses that Sigma produces, but it also insulates me from having a collection of out of production lenses that I might not be able to use on a new camera.

I don't know if unlicensed chip lenses still have the 3 issues with the DSLRs, and since I no longer have any, I can't test that.

tom

linzdoctor7d
Contributing MemberPosts: 742Gear list
Like?
In reply to tom, Sep 10, 2010

I"ve had exactly the same problem with my Maxxum 7 with two older Sigma lens in the past. I freak out when My brand new camera lock up after mounting a 28-70 sigma zoom on it.

linzdoctor7d's gear list:linzdoctor7d's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE A1 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +28 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads